ADVERTISEMENT

Tough to watch wnba basketball

All levels of basketball have a problem with the so-called "physical" play, but none I've seen is worse than the brawl that is the WNBA. They'll call a touch foul, and then they'll let somebody steamroll somebody, or body slam them, or tackle them, or punch them, and NOTHING. If it weren't for Caitlin, the millions of us who had never seen the WNBA before this season would revert to never watching it again. It's beyond maddening.

I'm just completely flummoxed by this full-contact style of play in the W.

How many times have we heard Lobo when reviewing a play chirp "... and she (offensive player) INITIATES the contact and gets the foul!" ... like that's a great thing?! Bullcrap! That should be an offensive foul, or no foul at all if incidental contact. Totally backwards.

I'm just completely flummoxed by this full-contact style of play in the W.

How many times have we heard Lobo when reviewing a play chirp "... and she (offensive player) INITIATES the contact and gets the foul!" ... like that's a great thing?! Bullcrap! That should be an offensive foul, or no foul at all if incidental contact. Totally backwards.
This is hardly an original take a lot of it is like late 80s early 90s Pistons, Knicks, and Sixers. It is horrible basketball and a bastardization of the rules.

Which is of course why the NBA changed how they call the game now. But what’s funny is most Iowa fans on here claiming they hate the NBA because they don’t play defense.
They don't really until the playoffs.

I will say that there has been an uptick in defensive philosophy in the last couple years and you're starting to see that with certain teams, like Minnesota in particular.

They don't really until the playoffs.

I will say that there has been an uptick in defensive philosophy in the last couple years and you're starting to see that with certain teams, like Minnesota in particular.
The degree of difficulty getting a shot off in the paint is rather breathtaking. At least in the playoffs. The overall athleticism of these players is insane.

The degree of difficulty getting a shot off in the paint is rather breathtaking. At least in the playoffs. The overall athleticism of these players is insane.
Evolution. ;)

The real place to direct amazement is at how durable these guys are for the most part. I could kind of move on the dribble when I was younger, but I also blew out my knee doing a simple stutter step when I was 25, and that was the end of my mobility in basketball.

A lot of these guys get well into their 30s without any real significant lower body injuries, and many nowadays are able to come back and at least still be effective in the NBA.

Doesn't mean that they won't feel it when they're retired, but the point is that they can maintain that peak physical condition and move as fast as they do with all the difficult landings and positions they put themselves into, for such long periods of time.

I will admit I don't like to watch the NBA because of the lack of defense generally. It definitely picks up in the post-season, though. I also don't like regular season baseball but love watching the World Series.

The WNBA challenges are dumb. The last 2 minutes last night took 20 minutes. That's how you lose people. If you can't change the call in :30, the call should stay.

Circling back to the OP, it is not easy to watch the W. I have recorded and then fastforwarded when CC is out and it helps.

Initiating contact is a good thing when executed properly. Most times, players aren't set and are moving with the player driving to the basket. Realizing this, the player with the ball, at the right moment initiates contact while shooting. Go into the defensive player's body, and get the call. NBA guards do this all the time and are successful.
WNBA? Who knows how it will be called?

Because the officiating sucks. They need to clean up the contact. I really don t know how they can call anything because there is no consistency.
I don't waste my time watching the WNBA. I loved watching the Iowa women's offense, they passed and ran full throttle. Play good fundamental basketball, high free throw percentage and high assists.

Don't see that in the WNBA.

I don't waste my time watching the WNBA. I loved watching the Iowa women's offense, they passed and ran full throttle. Play good fundamental basketball, high free throw percentage and high assists.

Don't see that in the WNBA.
Go on a long vacation.

I will admit I don't like to watch the NBA because of the lack of defense generally. It definitely picks up in the post-season, though. I also don't like regular season baseball but love watching the World Series.

The WNBA challenges are dumb. The last 2 minutes last night took 20 minutes. That's how you lose people. If you can't change the call in :30, the call should stay.

Circling back to the OP, it is not easy to watch the W. I have recorded and then fastforwarded when CC is out and it helps.
There was some kind of delay/review with around 14 seconds left last night. I had enough time to walk back to my house a block away and make it inside to watch the rest of the game BEFORE play had resumed...................

I think 20 minutes is generous.

I was actually starting to give a damn about the WNBA because of Clark but the way she's being disrespected by other females in the league and media, it's really turned me off.

Bill Burr's bit about the WNBA and how women are more interested in tearing each other down than supporting each other is dead on.

Somewhat they dont play defense in NBA never have never will
One of the stupidest narratives in sports.

You don't give any effort at your job either. This is saying the same thing you are, because I know you don't watch the NBA, which leaves you with the same amount of info as I have about your performance at work.

You honestly think owners are going to pay millions of dollars to players who don't try?

You don't give any effort at your job either. This is saying the same thing you are, because I know you don't watch the NBA, which leaves you with the same amount of info as I have about your performance at work.

You honestly think owners are going to pay millions of dollars to players who don't try?
It’s a lost cause. People who don’t watch the NBA are the ones who say this, & they think their opinion should hold weight even though they never watch. Then you get people like evilmonkey (who would suck his own dick if he could) comment on it & you can only laugh at how dumb he sounds. It’d be like me commenting on Nascar, since I never watch it.

It’s a lost cause. People who don’t watch the NBA are the ones who say this, & they think their opinion should hold weight even though they never watch. Then you get people like evilmonkey (who would suck his own dick if he could) comment on it & you can only laugh at how dumb he sounds. It’d be like me commenting on Nascar, since I never watch it.
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: BDE420 and Chuck C
Also, I don't do anything for free. So if you're gonna let me live in your head it's gonna cost you a daily fee.

I don't know if you can afford that on your salary........

Reactions: cmhawks99
Also, I don't do anything for free. So if you're gonna let me live in your head it's gonna cost you a daily fee.

I don't know if you can afford that on your salary........
Blah blah blah. Stick to talking girls HS bball, that’s one level of ball you watch. Pray for those 8-4 final scores that you love so much since you hate the shot clock.

Blah blah blah. Stick to talking girls HS bball, that’s one level of ball you watch. Pray for those 8-4 final scores that you love so much since you hate the shot clock.
Sheesh, I already know why you've been letting me live in your head for all these months. You don't have to remind me.

My memory isn't that bad, yet....... ;)

Reactions: cmhawks99
I literally about throw up when I hear people say the NBA doesn't play defense. I'm not even lying

I literally about throw up when I hear people say the NBA doesn't play defense. I'm not even lying
It’s the laziest take in all of sports. Go watch a game live. There’s no big men clogging the middle anymore. Watch someone try to stop Jalen Brown going downhill off a screen from the 3 point line. Or then help off as he kicks it to the 4 other players on the floor that can all make a 3. All with basically no hand checking involved anymore. If you don’t like the NBA game that’s totally fine, but please stop with the no defense BS.

"...because I know you don't watch the NBA..." Really? How do you know who watches the NBA and who doesn't?

It’s the laziest take in all of sports. Go watch a game live. There’s no big men clogging the middle anymore. Watch someone try to stop Jalen Brown going downhill off a screen from the 3 point line. Or then help off as he kicks it to the 4 other players on the floor that can all make a 3. All with basically no hand checking involved anymore. If you don’t like the NBA game that’s totally fine, but please stop with the no defense BS.
And a lot of people saying this are the same people that say the WNBA is too physical, while also having no problem with the way Iowa has defended. There's a glaring common denominator to all of this that I'm not even going to bother getting into.

You make a great point about nobody being in the lane anymore. For better or for worse, teams don't post up their bigs anymore. Which means already one rim protector/enforcer is taken out of the paint. And as you've said, everyone is spread around the 3 point line, which makes it harder for help to clog the lane with multiple bodies.

The rules of the league have also changed the game. No hand checking, as you've mentioned. Illegal defenses against loaded help. And ticky-tac flagrant fouls that have taken away a ton of the physicality.

The NBA has actually has, by far, the most sophisticated defense of any level of basketball in the world. It just looks different than it has in the past. You also have to consider that offensive players are more skilled than they've ever been, combined with the best floor spacing ever. But yet somehow these guys are able to level off penetration at a hair-raising level. It just beautiful.

One thing I will say, is the intensity does pick up in the post-season. It's frustrating that this level of intensity doesn't exist at every moment of the season. But it is a very long season. And the intensity increasing in the playoffs is no different than any other sport. People have run with the fact that the intensity does change a bit, and have made a whole ridiculous narrative out of it that isn't even close to true

Playoff intensity definitely picks up. I would argue after watching some teams during the regular season that there are nights when blocking out is optional for some guys, sprinting back to play transition defense is optional, and closing out hard is optional.

It's also harder than ever to play defense as 5s have to guard much more space than they used to, pick and roll actions have added rescreens, Spain variations, etc. Offenses have gotten better in terms of action.

The schedule is also brutal, sprinkle in a few back-to-backs, cross-country travel, etc., and nobody is fresh a couple months into the season. It's a lot of money, no doubt. And it's really hard on your body.

Lastly, I'm guessing college coaches may not ride players as hard as they do if that player could talk to the AD and get him fired, or if the player made 5x more money than the coach. Wait.. we're getting close to that now.

Good discussion and one of those topics people will never agree on.

Bear in mind that the Fever is a poor quality team.
There's a reason they won the draft.
Caitlin is doing quite well considering the inadequacies of the team she is on.
Imagine her stats on a solid team.
I hope the media doesn't turn on her if the Fever keeps on losing.

This is hardly an original take a lot of it is like late 80s early 90s Pistons, Knicks, and Sixers. It is horrible basketball and a bastardization of the rules.
Yeah but at least the players on these teams were tall and could do cool stuff like windmill dunk and block shots into the 15th row.

The WNBA sucks in every way.

Because the officiating sucks. They need to clean up the contact. I really don t know how they can call anything because there is no consistency.
Dark times for men's BB at Iowa. I checked in this morning to see if there was any recent news in regard to the men's BB team and all I see is WNBA stuff. WNBA! I enjoyed the Iowa women's BB run the past couple seasons. It was fun. Watch WNBA Basketball? No way, no how, not ever.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT