ADVERTISEMENT

Tough to watch wnba basketball

Dark times for men's BB at Iowa. I checked in this morning to see if there was any recent news in regard to the men's BB team and all I see is WNBA stuff. WNBA! I enjoyed the Iowa women's BB run the past couple seasons. It was fun. Watch WNBA Basketball? No way, no how, not ever.
Our men aren’t good at basketball, so, this is the result.

Clark and co. saved back-to-back winters from us being downright bored.

All levels of basketball have a problem with the so-called "physical" play, but none I've seen is worse than the brawl that is the WNBA. They'll call a touch foul, and then they'll let somebody steamroll somebody, or body slam them, or tackle them, or punch them, and NOTHING. If it weren't for Caitlin, the millions of us who had never seen the WNBA before this season would revert to never watching it again. It's beyond maddening.
Yep. I wasn’t able to watch all last night but when I did, within a few min they called a pretty ticky tacky shooting foul, and let a very clear push off go. At least one benefited the fever but still

With all the air balls and missed layups the league would be wise to have the refs call a tighter game. Physical play makes it look even worse.

I can only imagine how sloppy it would look if they had another 10 teams to water down the talent even further.

With all the air balls and missed layups the league would be wise to have the refs call a tighter game. Physical play makes it look even worse.

I can only imagine how sloppy it would look if they had another 10 teams to water down the talent even further.
This!! I think a cleaner game would lead to more open looks as pindown screens could actually free up a shooter. Right now there is so much grabbing there's no way you are coming off a screen.

The argument may be that if foul trouble puts stars on the bench and the subs are not good, making games even harder to watch. But over time teams/coaches would adjust. I think... maybe?

Reactions: Chuck C and F5n5
It’s the laziest take in all of sports. Go watch a game live. There’s no big men clogging the middle anymore. Watch someone try to stop Jalen Brown going downhill off a screen from the 3 point line. Or then help off as he kicks it to the 4 other players on the floor that can all make a 3. All with basically no hand checking involved anymore. If you don’t like the NBA game that’s totally fine, but please stop with the no defense BS.

Meh… I enjoy your passion here, and I think you and I have become pretty understanding of each other so, with that said, I get it..

But your telling me they give the same level of intensity to defense in December that they give it in May…

And in a world where a player like Peyton Sandfort, who I actually love. He’s been a great Hawkeye basketball player. He probably would be in my top 20 players for Iowa maybe 🤔 maybe top 30, I digress.

The POINT being, in a world where PS could be talked about as having NBA buzz, I mean guys come on he couldn’t guard a toilet if his ass was chained to it ?!

They have plenty of defensive liabilities at that level and levels of intensity. As far as that goes. Yes great athletes with any effort at all should always be able to play pretty damn good defense, but I would never ever say it’s consistent and knowing you, I don’t think you could possibly tell me that..

Meh… I enjoy your passion here, and I think you and I have become pretty understanding of each other so, with that said, I get it..

But your telling me they give the same level of intensity to defense in December that they give it in May…

And in a world where a player like Peyton Sandfort, who I actually love. He’s been a great Hawkeye basketball player. He probably would be in my top 20 players for Iowa maybe 🤔 maybe top 30, I digress.

The POINT being, in a world where PS could be talked about as having NBA buzz, I mean guys come on he couldn’t guard a toilet if his ass was chained to it ?!

They have plenty of defensive liabilities at that level and levels of intensity. As far as that goes. Yes great athletes with any effort at all should always be able to play pretty damn good defense, but I would never ever say it’s consistent and knowing you, I don’t think you could possibly tell me that..
Clearly they dont play hard for 82 games a year. That’s a lot of games, especially back to back road games. The season is a grind. My point being is that so many of our fans just toss out “no defense “ and watch 1-2 games or no games at all. Theres a reason we haven’t had many pro players under Fran. His teams are skilled but usually not super athletic. Sandfort being a perfect example. And no, there’s not a lot of guys that are defensive liabilities. With all the switches you better be able to play defense at some level. Or be an an absolute elite shooter.

Clearly they dont play hard for 82 games a year. That’s a lot of games, especially back to back road games. The season is a grind. My point being is that so many of our fans just toss out “no defense “ and watch 1-2 games or no games at all. Theres a reason we haven’t had many pro players under Fran. His teams are skilled but usually not super athletic. Sandfort being a perfect example. And no, there’s not a lot of guys that are defensive liabilities. With all the switches you better be able to play defense at some level. Or be an an absolute elite shooter.
The argument has never really been that they can't.........it's about the choice.

Don't is not the same as can't......... ;)

Make the Sandfort argument if he actually makes the league. I highly doubt he will. Doesn't look like Wieskamp will end up making it and he's far more athletic and defensively capable than Payton.

Look at Garza. Has everything you would want out of an offensive player, and he's a fringe guy as far as sticking on a roster.

No, there absolutely are not plenty of defensive liabilities in the league. Not even close

The argument has never really been that they can't.........it's about the choice.

Don't is not the same as can't......... ;)
Plenty of coaches that bench guys that "don't."
Plenty of reserves eager to take some lazy-ass' spot.

It's not happening. Not sure what you are watching.

Again, you think owners are ok paying millions of dollars to lazy players? Wait, you already had a laughable response to that one.

It's an absolutely offensive take. Just like much of the crap on the football board

What is wrong with what he said? The Iowa women were a fun watch. I’m not sure why disliking the current WNBA brand of basketball deserves derision. Take CC out of the picture and I guarantee 99% of this board would watch less than a momentary glimpse of a game.
Look, there’s a whole thread on the WNBA. I get it, it’s an Iowa board. But if you don’t like any of it don’t watch it. Or quit whining about it. It’s a different game than college. It’s a bunch of grown women.

It’s the laziest take in all of sports. Go watch a game live. There’s no big men clogging the middle anymore. Watch someone try to stop Jalen Brown going downhill off a screen from the 3 point line. Or then help off as he kicks it to the 4 other players on the floor that can all make a 3. All with basically no hand checking involved anymore. If you don’t like the NBA game that’s totally fine, but please stop with the no defense BS.
They don’t play as hard as they can on defense until it matters. Imagine that in the nfl.
Part of it is the rules. You can know carry the ball with impunity. It’s hard to guard someone that can hold the ball for a count while changing directions.

• Haha
Reactions: eyesofhawk
They don’t play as hard as they can on defense until it matters. Imagine that in the nfl.
Part of it is the rules. You can know carry the ball with impunity. It’s hard to guard someone that can hold the ball for a count while changing directions.
And do you actually think the Chiefs are playing as hard in game 3 against the Bears as they are in the playoffs against the Bills?

Again, you think owners are ok paying millions of dollars to lazy players? Wait, you already had a laughable response to that one.

It's an absolutely offensive take. Just like much of the crap on the football board
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not true. ;)

Does the intensity in the NFL pick up in the playoffs? Unquestionably, it does.

So I guess they must not be playing as hard as they can until the playoffs either

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not true. ;)

Lol. Bloopers happen every sport. There were blooper tapes in the 90's, when people said defense did exist in the NBA.

To me, incomplete passes in football are the ugliest plays in all of sports. Just a sheer comedy act. And that's all teams want to do anymore, for some reason.

Let's just make this all real simple by saying you don't know what you're talking about. That's fine. You don't have to. But don't act like you do

Let's just make this all real simple by saying I don't know what you're talking about. That's fine. I don't have to. But don't act like I'm going to, either.
Very well then. I just wanted to point out what an odd hill to die on you're choosing by vehemently fighting people on this message board trying to justify the level of defense played in the NBA.

I get you like proving others wrong (based on your recent post history), and don't like being wrong yourself..........get used to it. 🫠

Very well then. I just wanted to point out what an odd hill to die on you're choosing by vehemently fighting people on this message board trying to justify the level of defense played in the NBA.

I get you like proving others wrong (based on your recent post history), and don't like being wrong yourself..........get used to it. 🫠
This is just another of the narratives on this board so ridiculous that it doesn't need to be proven wrong. It's wrong the moment it gets typed.

Real simple arguments around here

This is just another of the narratives on this board so ridiculous that it doesn't need to be proven wrong. It's wrong the moment it gets typed.

Real simple arguments around here
200w.gif

Look, there’s a whole thread on the WNBA. I get it, it’s an Iowa board. But if you don’t like any of it don’t watch it. Or quit whining about it. It’s a different game than college. It’s a bunch of grown women.
I didn’t realize you’re so sensitive - and I wasn’t whining about anything. For F sake read what’s said before you get your panties into a bunch about something as unimportant as the WNBA.

Reactions: 2D_
For me, I think the worst part has been the officiating. 5 minute long reviews on unimportant plays, consistently inconsistent calls, etc. Not to say that players don't have their issues. I've never seen so many travels, stepping out of bounds, and total air mails on what should be easy lay ups in my life. Not to mention the hit or miss commentators. Wish there was a Fever radio that I could turn on so I can mute the stream.

But I think the worst part of it all are the insufferable WNBA fans. For a league that was financially worthless and culturally irrelevant, you'd think they'd be thrilled to get attention. But they act like nothing but elitist snobs. They'd rather gatekeep instead of flourish.

Once upon a time, the NBA did play no defense but that has changed. In the last 10-15 years or so the NBA has started playing defense at a high level which has also elevated the offense to an even higher level. Anybody who watches the NBA now will see unbelievable shots that regularly go in even with the defense in the perfect position. A 1/10 shot is now a 6/10 shot and you will see in going in 10-20 times a game. The skill levels on offense are just draw-dropping.

I don't know CM. If thats the case then why is Garza struggling to stick in the league? That dudes a scoring machine even in the pro's. Its only on the other end where he's a liability. And frankly for whatever "buzz" there is about PS I'll bet he'll never stick on a roster and its not because he can't generate points.....

"As long as Fran gets his son's full rides, that's all that really matters" KF
We all had issues with Fran and his usage of minutes, but acting like Cmac and Pmac weren't going to be playing D1 basketball somewhere just makes you look ignorant. Both were top 200 players out of high school, I think Pmac was a top 100 recruit, so Fran didn't need to "get his son's" full rides. Any coach at Iowa would have recruited a 6'9" player out of Iowa City (who was that highly rated), had it been Fran or anyone else at Iowa. Now what happened during his career is open for debate, but both were quality "recruits"....

Been a lot of poor defensive players in the league for years. I’ve never heard anyone rave about Steph’s D.

I don't know CM. If thats the case then why is Garza struggling to stick in the league? That dudes a scoring machine even in the pro's. Its only on the other end where he's a liability. And frankly for whatever "buzz" there is about PS I'll bet he'll never stick on a roster and its not because he can't generate points.....

Nor do I, in fact I’m surprised by his supposed fan fair…but more and more I am convinced there are players that could’ve played in the NBA, but they never ever got a fair shot.

Jarod Uthoff comes immediately to mind.

Nor do I, in fact I’m surprised by his supposed fan fair…but more and more I am convinced there are players that could’ve played in the NBA, but they never ever got a fair shot.

Uthoff got more than a fair shot. He was rostered for a while.

I agree, there are some players that could have made the league haven gotten a chance with the right fit. But the fit is key for fringe players.

You're basically compromising your own argument, though. The fact that the league is so hard to make, means that guys with holes in their game, such as being a weak defender, just aren't making it

Wait, you forgot to include the posturing; in the parlance of the WNBA veterans, this "different game" you speak of is played by a bunch of "grown-ass women."

Yay.

Agree totally on JU. Of all the players from Iowa that never really stuck, he's the one I really thought would be able to hang in the league as a 9-12 type guy coming in off the bench. My only thought on him is that I just don't think he was aggressive enough or wanted it bad enough to stick in the pro game. We saw that some at Iowa. Dude could score from anywhere, board, and block shots when he wanted to, and then he'd dissapear for chunks of games.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Agree totally on JU. Of all the players from Iowa that never really stuck, he's the one I really thought would be able to hang in the league as a 9-12 type guy coming in off the bench. My only thought on him is that I just don't think he was aggressive enough or wanted it bad enough to stick in the pro game. We saw that some at Iowa. Dude could score from anywhere, board, and block shots when he wanted to, and then he'd dissapear for chunks of games.
Uthoff has more than gotten a fair chance. He’s still trying to make it. Celtics D league roster. Don’t all of you think if he could help them he’d be on the roster? Hell Hauser is a role player for the Celtics.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT