ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer-mania

HawkNorth

HR All-State
Nov 24, 2003

From the Minneapolis Strib:​

Liam Robbins makes Gophers' transfer portal list even longer​

Robbins became the eighth Gophers player from this past season to enter the portal.​

By Marcus Fuller Star Tribune
April 7, 2021 — 6:43am
liam.jpg

More than any Big Ten men's basketball team so far this spring, the Gophers have been hit hard by the transfer portal.

Liam Robbins became the eighth Gophers player to enter his name into the transfer portal, sources confirmed Tuesday to the Star Tribune.

Penn State (seven), Nebraska (six) and Indiana (five) are three Big Ten teams that had the most names in the portal behind Minnesota, which has had seven players enter the portal since season's end, along with Jarvis Omersa, who entered after he opted out midseason.

"It definitely is uncharted waters for everybody," new Gophers coach Ben Johnson said Monday on 100.3 KFAN radio. "If any coach told you they've got it figured out they're lying. Because you don't.

"And it changes your roster minute by minute. One kid all of a sudden could tell you one day that they're happy and, boom, in 10 hours they say they changed their mind and are going into the portal."

Robbins potentially not returning to play for the Gophers means Johnson would need to find another post player capable of being one of the best in the conference.

The 7-foot junior averaged 11.7 points, 6.6 rebounds and a Big Ten-best 2.7 blocks last season after transferring from Drake. He was a major factor in the Gophers' five wins vs. ranked opponents, including Michigan, Iowa and Ohio State.

“If a kid isn't from this area and something opens up back home. All of a sudden it becomes more intriguing to them. Or coaching changes. That affects the portal big time.”
Ben Johnson
Robbins was sidelined the U's last six games with a sprained left ankle after suffering the injury in the Feb. 11 win vs. Purdue at home. He played hobbled in three games before shutting it down for the rest of the season. The Gophers finished the season 1-8 when he was hurt or sidelined.

Robbins' uncle, Ed Conroy, was an associate head coach under Richard Pitino, who was fired at the end of the season. It's unclear if Conroy will be retained by Johnson when he soon hires his staff.

The Gophers could have an almost entirely new roster for the 2021-22 season since Both Gach and Isaiah Ihnen are the only non-seniors currently expected to return. Starters from last season in the portal include Robbins, All-Big Ten point guard Marcus Carr, Gabe Kalscheur, Jamal Mashburn Jr. and Tre' Williams. And non-starters in the portal include Omersa, Sam Freeman and Martice Mitchell.

"Could be for a number of reasons," Johnson told the radio station on why players enter the portal. "If a kid isn't from this area and something opens up back home. All of a sudden it becomes more intriguing to them. Or coaching changes. That affects the portal big time.

"It's something you always have to monitor and it's forever changing. I think it's probably going to be the way things go at least for the rest of this year. It's something you have to navigate and have a handle on it the best you can."

Pitino finished 14-15 last season, but Carr was named All-Big Ten second team and Robbins was a candidate for the Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Award given to the nation's top center.

Johnson has already landed three transfers with George Washington's Jamison Battle, Lafayette's E.J. Stephens, and William & Mary's Luke Loewe. That gives the Gophers some depth on the wing, but they are still searching for the replacements at point guard and in the post.

Johnson has been in contact with Drake transfer Joseph Yesufu, who had a breakout season for the Bulldogs last season. The 6-foot guard averaged 22.6 points and shot 46.9% from three-point range in his last nine games, which included 26 points and six threes in an NCAA tournament loss vs. USC.

To fill the void in the paint, Johnson has reached out to Creighton's Christian Bishop, Indiana's Race Thompson and Division II Northern State All-American Parker Fox.

Johnson did a video conference call with Fox recently and Thompson on Monday. Fox narrowed his list to eight schools over the weekend: Minnesota, Florida State, Ohio State, Creighton, Texas Christian, Dayton, San Diego State and Vanderbilt.

Penn State (seven), Nebraska (six) and Indiana (five), Minny (eight).

26 players from 4 teams?? That's wild. And that doesn't even include seniors or guys going to the NBA.

Those teams will have to almost completely rebuild their rosters.

I think currently Robbins is far ahead of Foster and probably not really close. Foster I think has the bigger upside in shooting ability and overall athleticism.

Reactions: BBHawk
I’d hate to be a coach/recruiter with how things are trending from a portal perspective. Trying to manage your roster and plug and play is going to drastically change college basketball.

While already trending this direction... gone are the days of recruiting a kid and coaching him for four seasons. Some kids are moving onto their second or third schools.

My personal two cents is I don’t like it... as now it’s becoming free agency and that’s why I don’t watch pro sports ...

I think there are too many players in the portal and a lot of guys are going to end up stuck. There are so many guys that it will be difficult for teams to assess and determine whether they are a good fit. I could see situations where guys go into the portal don't find a good opportunity meanwhile their team finds a guy to replace them.

Not sure why Foster keeps getting brought up. Pretty sure if he wanted to leave, he’d have done so already.

Well Bolton just announced he was last night. I'm kind of curious to hear those have said they've heard some talk what that entails. I know with new coach players will leave right after old coach is fired but sometimes guys give the coach a little of time to feel out and see how well they mesh with him in several aspects before deciding if they want to leave or not. With Nunge leaving I would love to see Fran get a grad transfer like Robbins and another non senior player be it Foster or someone else with some size.

Well Bolton just announced he was last night. I'm kind of curious to hear those have said they've heard some talk what that entails. I know with new coach players will leave right after old coach is fired but sometimes guys give the coach a little of time to feel out and see how well they mesh with him in several aspects before deciding if they want to leave or not. With Nunge leaving I would love to see Fran get a grad transfer like Robbins and another non senior player be it Foster or someone else with some size.

Bolton's transfer is interesting as he is suggesting that he's not transferring by choice.

I’d hate to be a coach/recruiter with how things are trending from a portal perspective. Trying to manage your roster and plug and play is going to drastically change college basketball.

While already trending this direction... gone are the days of recruiting a kid and coaching him for four seasons. Some kids are moving onto their second or third schools.

My personal two cents is I don’t like it... as now it’s becoming free agency and that’s why I don’t watch pro sports ...
I think there are too many players in the portal and a lot of guys are going to end up stuck. There are so many guys that it will be difficult for teams to assess and determine whether they are a good fit. I could see situations where guys go into the portal don't find a good opportunity meanwhile their team finds a guy to replace them.
I hear what you’re saying and it’s totally a strange thing right now. But I also think eventually this phenomenon will work itself out and in these early years, guys will be getting stuck as you mention. Eventually there will be several guys that don’t want to take that risk.

I could be totally wrong about that. And as I mentioned a few days ago, if I were a coach, I’d only try to get 2 HS players max per recruiting season so you’re not recruiting over them with transfers.

Guess we’ll see.

Reactions: Rustys Dad
True although my buddy is a CyFan subscriber and he told me the sources there were projecting Bolton leaving as soon as Otz was hired a few weeks ago.

Foster could still go for sure. I’d just be a bit surprised it’d be this late in the game.

The "middle/lower tier" teams, and like it or not, we're one of them, are going to be killed if this stays the way it is. The guys who have good seasons will be able to jump to a bigger name team for exposure, or at least shop to do it. Have a great season at Vanderbilt? See if Kentucky or Kansas or Gonzaga want you for next year.

IMHO it's crap. But then again, why should there be any consequences for anything anymore.....(yes, I know; GOML).

From the Minneapolis Strib:​

Liam Robbins makes Gophers' transfer portal list even longer​

Robbins became the eighth Gophers player from this past season to enter the portal.​

By Marcus Fuller Star Tribune
April 7, 2021 — 6:43am
liam.jpg

"Could be for a number of reasons," Johnson told the radio station on why players enter the portal. "If a kid isn't from this area and something opens up back home. All of a sudden it becomes more intriguing to them. Or coaching changes. That affects the portal big time.
Is it a coincidence that Robbins entered the portal shortly after nunge announced his departure from Iowa? That quote above from
Johnson makes me wonder. Personally id love to land him, seems like he’s make a very good addition and would fit what we need. Proven player in the big10

Reactions: skydog0784
Is it a coincidence that Robbins entered the portal shortly after nunge announced his departure from Iowa? That quote above from
Johnson makes me wonder. Personally id love to land him, seems like he’s make a very good addition and would fit what we need. Proven player in the big10

Given the choice of the two I actually would rather have Robbins. I think he played a very underrated year last year and has the ability to step back and shoot. Johnson is really good but his game seems to be more limited to lay ups and dunks.

Given the choice of the two I actually would rather have Robbins. I think he played a very underrated year last year and has the ability to step back and shoot. Johnson is really good but his game seems to be more limited to lay ups and dunks.
Who’s this Johnson u refer to? The johnson that was quoted is the new head coach for mn lol But yes, i think robbins is the type of big we need. Good defender, good size, but has some range to step out an hit the 3. And of all the transfers I believe we probably have the best shot landing him with where he grew up and his family lives. I mean, who wouldn’t want to play in-front of their family their last yr in college?!

Who’s this Johnson u refer to? The johnson that was quoted is the new head coach for mn lol But yes, i think robbins is the type of big we need. Good defender, good size, but has some range to step out an hit the 3. And of all the transfers I believe we probably have the best shot landing him with where he grew up and his family lives. I mean, who wouldn’t want to play in-front of their family their last yr in college?!
I also noticed that Robbins runs the court very well, similar to Patrick McCaffery. I would expect a lot of transition basket opportunities for him in Iowa's offense if he picks the Hawks.

The most impressive aspect of his game IMO is his defense - especially shot blocking. If he joins the Hawks - between Keegan M., Kris M., Patrick M. and Robbins - Iowa will have a very good group of shot blockers.

Sorry, I thought they were talking about the center from Rutgers

I also noticed that Robbins runs the court very well, similar to Patrick McCaffery. I would expect a lot of transition basket opportunities for him in Iowa's offense if he picks the Hawks.

The most impressive aspect of his game IMO is his defense - especially shot blocking. If he joins the Hawks - between Keegan M., Kris M., Patrick M. and Robbins - Iowa will have a very good group of shot blockers.
Add robbins and our defense goes from last to first regardless of how Fran teaches it. 1-5 you have guys than can play man d very effectively and since fran loves to switch d’s up, there is a ton of length to play zone as well. If JoeW decides to leave, a starting lineup of JoeT, CJ, Pmac, Keegan and Robbins would be extremely effective on D. Add perkins and ulis and assuming kr murray is close to as effective as his brother, that’s 8 very good defenders!
It’s actually pretty fun to think about, because we know Fran’s teams typically don’t struggle to score. Be a lot of transition points and up and down, and we actually have the athletes and depth to be pretty dang effective. If we do land Robbins, we’re gna be tough

Reactions: silasstarr and nu2u
I heard a rumor and I don't know that I should believe it, that Foster reached out to a school about a possible transfer and was told by that school that he should stay where he is. Probably Dewey Oxenburger has promised him all sorts of things if he will stay in Ames and drink their water.

• Haha
Reactions: Slim45
Sounds like Robbins' uncle is going to named an assistant coach at Vanderbilt. So, it will be interesting to see if playing for family or staying close to home wins out.

Reactions: 24 so far
I heard a rumor and I don't know that I should believe it, that Foster reached out to a school about a possible transfer and was told by that school that he should stay where he is. Probably Dewey Oxenburger has promised him all sorts of things if he will stay in Ames and drink their water.
Honestly, the possibility of Foster coming to iowa doesn’t excite me that much. The rigors of the big10 doesn’t seem like a great a fit as much as a more up tempo conference would.
Sounds like Robbins' uncle is going to named an assistant coach at Vanderbilt. So, it will be interesting to see if playing for family or staying close to home wins out.
Man it seems like all the PT available and being able to play 45minutes from his family would be hard to pass on. I can’t imagine Fran isn’t breaking his door down trying to persuade him!

Honestly, the possibility of Foster coming to iowa doesn’t excite me that much. The rigors of the big10 doesn’t seem like a great a fit as much as a more up tempo conference would.

Man it seems like all the PT available and being able to play 45minutes from his family would be hard to pass on. I can’t imagine Fran isn’t breaking his door down trying to persuade him!

I am confused why Liam has to follow his uncle everywhere he goes. Why is this more important than being near the rest of his family?

I am confused why Liam has to follow his uncle everywhere he goes. Why is this more important than being near the rest of his family?
The only 2 things I could think of are 1) i read somewhere that his dad passed away? So maybe he views his uncle as a sort of father figure? And 2) being able to be around him every single day...it’s really hard telling tho

A school? Not Iowa?

Iowa is in need of bigs and could see them taking both Robbins and Foster since Josh O has a long way to go as far as B1G preparedness is concerned.
How do we know this? He has to have made some progress last year practicing with the team and he still has another 7 months before we start up playing for real again. Hopefully, if nothing else, he'll get himself into playing shape.

Last edited:
How do we know this? He has to have made some promise last year practicing with the team and he still has another 7 months before we start up playing for real again. Hopefully, if nothing else, he'll get himself into playing shape.
Luka got beat up pretty good playing in the B1G his first two years. Plus Iowa needs another big or two to be able to compete and not worry about foul trouble issues. In other words, Iowa has no depth at the 5 now that Jack is understandably transferring.

How do we know this? He has to have made some promise last year practicing with the team and he still has another 7 months before we start up playing for real again. Hopefully, if nothing else, he'll get himself into playing shape.
I was never a major college athlete handed the opportunity of a lifetime, but if I had been, I'm pretty sure I would have shown up in shape on Day 1. That's just me though.

I was never a major college athlete handed the opportunity of a lifetime, but if I had been, I'm pretty sure I would have shown up in shape on Day 1. That's just me though.

Josh had the misfortune of being stuck in his home country longer than expected due to Covid. It’s tough to teach self discipline from a distance so the staff and Josh were at a disadvantage. I would be absolutely shocked if his body isn’t completely transformed when we see him in uniform 21-22.

As long as we are going to throw out wild speculation about potential transfers, I might as well throw out Dawson Garcia of Marquette. Just finished a great freshman season (13.0/6.6) and would have three years left. There are rumors (wishes) in Gopherland that Garcia might be contemplating a move in the wake of the Marquette coaching change. As some might recall, Fran recruited Garcia pretty hard before he committed to Marquette, so there is an existing relationship.

Reactions: skydog0784
When I first watched Foster in high school I wasn't impressed at all. But when he played against Iowa with a bad foot early in his freshman season, I though he was the only one on his team that showed any promise. I don't know if he's considering transferring, but if he did I'd take a shot with him. Robbins would be a perfect fit. Both to me would be a great way to replace Luka and Jack. If Josh can out play either one, that'd be great. Robbins goes out after next season, enter 7' Mulvey. Plug and play baby!

Reactions: iahawks10
I guess I'm old fashioned. I simply don't understand this transfer portal garbage. 1200 players???? I'll be interested in how many of these guys wind up being left high and dry (I'm betting 25%). Sure the top players (Robbins of course in that class) can pick and choose. But most of the guys I'm seeing.. some of these guys may have just thrown away their free ride. But I agree that this will change the landscape of college basketball (and football probably). I'm not convinced this is a good thing at all.

Bolton's transfer is interesting as he is suggesting that he's not transferring by choice.
Why would TJ not want him his first year? That would be bizarre. Maybe he has to make promises to the PG recruit that he'll get all the shots and be the focus.

As long as we are going to throw out wild speculation about potential transfers, I might as well throw out Dawson Garcia of Marquette. Just finished a great freshman season (13.0/6.6) and would have three years left. There are rumors (wishes) in Gopherland that Garcia might be contemplating a move in the wake of the Marquette coaching change. As some might recall, Fran recruited Garcia pretty hard before he committed to Marquette, so there is an existing relationship.
His first offer in highschool was from Shaka, fyi.

Reactions: Lumas Etima
I guess I'm old fashioned. I simply don't understand this transfer portal garbage. 1200 players???? I'll be interested in how many of these guys wind up being left high and dry (I'm betting 25%). Sure the top players (Robbins of course in that class) can pick and choose. But most of the guys I'm seeing.. some of these guys may have just thrown away their free ride. But I agree that this will change the landscape of college basketball (and football probably). I'm not convinced this is a good thing at all.
In some instances, a kid in high school makes his college decision based on sports, then realizes there is more to life (especially when pro ball is not in the cards) and wants to transfer for a better school experience/fit. I feel bad for those kids if they can't find a home.

I agree with you though that many are likely transferring simply for basketball reasons and it could really bite them when they are left standing without a chair when the music stops and they no longer have a free ride.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT