ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal breakdown: 7 better-than-you-might’ve-thought transfer classes

Kirk has always been about developing players. Hopefully, that strategy leads to wins, but to say that Kirk's philosophy has anything to do with winning is entirely false. I think the one game we schemed to win over everything else was the Ohio St. asskicking. Otherwise, it's outscheming-be-damned.

Now all of a sudden, we're bringing in non-Iowa guys.

Can’t be, because the critics say so…as they hijack another thread with their hatefulness!
We could go anywhere from 10 - 2 to 12 - 0 next season and somehow they would credit everyone else and say fire Kirk and fire Brian still. I think any of that range of record for next season would be seen as successful to very successful by most. I think 9 - 3 is the base expectation and anything less than that would be disappointing.

Hopefully retire and take boy wonder with him. JMO

Yea I hope the 16th winningest coach in college football over the last 10 years retires too…doh!!!

When the time comes, you and I will have a wager, whether or not, the next coach is more or less successful, deal?

Reactions: Bishop1971
Yea I hope the 16th winningest coach in college football over the last 10 years retires too…doh!!!

When the time comes, you and I will have a wager, whether or not, the next coach is more or less successful, deal?
I am sure the 30th place guy will take the job and do better!

Reactions: cmhawks99
Kirk has always been about developing players. Hopefully, that strategy leads to wins, but to say that Kirk's philosophy has anything to do with winning is entirely false. I think the one game we schemed to win over everything else was the Ohio St. asskicking. Otherwise, it's outscheming-be-damned.

Now all of a sudden, we're bringing in non-Iowa guys.

And do you know why you think that…because it was a perfect storm and we scored 55 points… of course we scripted in 4 turnovers & the pick six…Doh!!

It’s remarkable to me how narrow minded most fans are….they look at the final score and them make assessments!

Last edited:
We could go anywhere from 10 - 2 to 12 - 0 next season and somehow they would credit everyone else and say fire Kirk and fire Brian still. I think any of that range of record for next season would be seen as successful to very successful by most. I think 9 - 3 is the base expectation and anything less than that would be disappointing.

They truly make this board suck !

And do you know why you think that…because it was a perfect storm and we scored 55 points… of course we scripted in for turnovers in the pick six…Doh!!

It’s remarkable to me how narrow minded most fans are….they look at the final score and them make assessments!

Because we are always running TEs on seam patterns for 30+ yard passes.

Because we are always running TEs on seam patterns for 30+ yard passes.

We’ve used, the TE seam pass many times over the years as have most, TE-centric teams…

I mean honestly think about what you said….In only one game, which also happens to be one of our highest scoring games against a high-quality opponent…

But again it’s the only game in the last what, 5, 10, 15 years we have “schemed well”….

I mean honestly, most people that have a conscience and a little self-esteem would be embarrassed to even make a comment like that….

So I have two questions… Ohio State didn’t, with the great “schemer” Urban Meyer “scheme well”… And the four turnovers didn’t have anything to do with our “great scheme” ?

People are so reactionary!

We’ve used, the TE seam pass many times over the years as have most, TE-centric teams…

I mean honestly think about what you said….In only one game, which also happens to be one of our highest scoring games against a high-quality opponent…

But again it’s the only game in the last what, 5, 10, 15 years we have “schemed well”….

I mean honestly, most people that have a conscience and a little self-esteem would be embarrassed to even make a comment like that….

So I have two questions… Ohio State didn’t, with the great “schemer” Urban Meyer “scheme well”… And the four turnovers didn’t have anything to do with our “great scheme” ?

People are so reactionary!
It is an outlier because the approach was so different that it caught Urban off guard.

Most every other game we have to out execute the opponent because they know exactly what's coming.

Urban was totally taken by surprise because it was so out of character for what we usually do on offense.

Save your insults for someone not using facts.

It is an outlier because the approach was so different that it caught Urban off guard.

Most every other game we have to out execute the opponent because they know exactly what's coming.

Urban was totally taken by surprise because it was so out of character for what we usually do on offense.

Save your insults for someone not using facts.

Ok….I do know all those interceptions were a surprise. Also we had barely used the TEs all year….great point😜

Not sure where I insulted you, outside of the embarrassed comment…but is there a possibility we’ve had other games where we “schemed” well or just that one….?

I’m gonna make a statement, a “factual statement” you guys love that because you’re the only ones that “use facts”…

There is no way in hell we used plays in that game that we hadn’t used before or since!

None!!!

Come on now.

Desperation resulting from the negative attention BF and the offense got had EVERYTHING to do with it.

The offense was AWFUL throughout ‘21 and several additions could have been made following, including the QB position, yet they brought in a transfer Tight End - Probably the lowest team need…
But an excellent te and i think with his chemistry with McNamara and LaPorta leaving All was an excellent pick up. He's going to be an nfl te

Can’t be, because the critics say so…as they hijack another thread with their hatefulness!
Agree - some users are 🤣 at the post. Just emotion and cynicism with no rationale argument against.

Which is totally fine to disagree. But I assume folks that are laughing at it and disagree with what I stated believe the transfers DO have baggage or ARE NOT a good culture fit? For anyone that feels that way, sure is an interesting stance to take but I’m open to hearing why they feel that way….

There are valid reasons to be frustrated with KF and BF - that’s fine …. But this transfer class is not one!!

Ok….I do know all those interceptions were a surprise. Also we had barely used the TEs all year….great point😜

Not sure where I insulted you, outside of the embarrassed comment…but is there a possibility we’ve had other games where we “schemed” well or just that one….?

I’m gonna make a statement, a “factual statement” you guys love that because you’re the only ones that “use facts”…

There is no way in hell we used plays in that game that we hadn’t used before or since!

None!!!

Show me another instance of this one...

or this one...

I mean losing to a bad iowa state team, a bad Nebraska team, and an average Illinois team isn’t great.

Anecdotal and small snap shot…. The thing is the same guy you hate, KF, is the boss of the guy you love PP….And what do you want a bet Phil Parker would have issues with the things you say ?!

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
Seeing that Holden has already been released from Oregon due to an arrest/weapons charge is even further evidence that the staff built this transfer class the right way. I think we all were disappointed to hear we moved off of Holden (especially for reasons we will never know), but clearly the staff had done their due diligence and determined it to be the right call. I like the guys we brought in - again, no baggage and good culture fit as far I can tell.

Honest question, how many coaches have head coached the past 10 years in college basketball?

But an excellent te and i think with his chemistry with McNamara and LaPorta leaving All was an excellent pick up. He's going to be an nfl te
I was talking about the addition of the TE Stilianos after the ‘21 season.

The offense sucked with a putrid OL and QB - certainly didn’t need a TE of all positions but hey, we went out and got one 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

The offense sucked and we certainly didn’t need a TE but hey, we went out and got one 🤷🏼‍♂️

Yeah, I actually get this complaint wholeheartedly. It doesn’t make any sense, with that said I still have a feeling Stillianos might still carve out a career but who knows!

Not what we needed for sure!

The offense sucked with a putrid OL and QB - certainly didn’t need a TE of all positions but hey, we went out and got one 🤷🏼‍♂️
Lachey was unproven. Who else was there on roster besides LaPorta and Lachey? No one proven that’s for sure.

If KF is the 16th winningest coach over the past ten years, how many coaches are on that list?

I linked a couple different things here on this board. I honestly don’t remember where they’re at but when I get a chance I may try to find it but it’s just a list of the winning percentages of every team over the last 10 years five years 20 years of time, etc..

Lachey was unproven. Who else was there on roster besides LaPorta and Lachey? No one proven that’s for sure.
BlackHeartGoldPants going into the ‘22 season:

Iowa’s second tight end, Luke Lachey, looked good in 2021 as a redshirt freshman. The 6’6”, 252 pound sophomore is an excellent blocker and has shown good hands. Lachey’s numbers: 8 receptions, 133 yards, 16.6 yard average. Luke’s dad, Jim, was a star at (the) Ohio State University and went on to have a ten year career in the NFL. Luke will continue to improve and like many players, the more reps he gets, the better he will perform. Look for an excellent year from this Hawkeye.”

Lachey was CLEARLY a talented guy, playing in 13 of 14 games and a sure-fire backup to Sam. What we DID know following that season was we badly needed help on the offensive line and at the quarterback position. And of course wide receiver.

The staff went out and got Stilianos, who didn’t even see the field in three-plus games.

*They went to the portal hard this winter out of desperation for Brian.* Kirk is putting Brian above Iowa football.

• Haha
Reactions: 2bagger22
I've seen recent podcasts and threads suggesting we need more from the portal. I think the players we got fit many of the needs for the team. Maybe another WR but can't see many glaring weaknesses. You have to leave room for younger players to develop and get their shot or they'll leave.

I see teams like Wisconsin take three QB's and four WR's. They did not replenish some positions of loss. Good star quality but need quality? Same can be said for Nebraska. Will be interesting to see how our portal additions pan out.

BlackHeartGoldPants going into the ‘22 season:

Iowa’s second tight end, Luke Lachey, looked good in 2021 as a redshirt freshman. The 6’6”, 252 pound sophomore is an excellent blocker and has shown good hands. Lachey’s numbers: 8 receptions, 133 yards, 16.6 yard average. Luke’s dad, Jim, was a star at (the) Ohio State University and went on to have a ten year career in the NFL. Luke will continue to improve and like many players, the more reps he gets, the better he will perform. Look for an excellent year from this Hawkeye.”

Lachey was CLEARLY a talented guy, playing in 13 of 14 games and a sure-fire backup to Sam. What we DID know following that season was we badly needed help on the offensive line and at the quarterback position. And of course wide receiver.

The staff went out and got Stilianos, who didn’t even see the field in three-plus games.

*They went to the portal hard this winter out of desperation for Brian.* Kirk is putting Brian above Iowa football.

Winning isn’t good for Iowa football? Who knew?

I've seen recent podcasts and threads suggesting we need more from the portal. I think the players we got fit many of the needs for the team. Maybe another WR but can't see many glaring weaknesses. You have to leave room for younger players to develop and get their shot or they'll leave.

I see teams like Wisconsin take three QB's and four WR's. They did not replenish some positions of loss. Good star quality but need quality? Same can be said for Nebraska. Will be interesting to see how our portal additions pan out.
Listening to the pod’s sounds like they are still looking at least one WR and a DB. If they can land, another starter quality wide receiver, and a depth piece DB, I will give them an A+ for this year’s portal.

Not that I care much for what you specifically have to say, but,

Point being…Why would they NOT address the very obvious offensive needs following the 2021 season?

No I’d think not. We are polar opposites, and I don’t have ANY friends as caustic and negative as you….

With that said, they grossly over estimated their ability to turn ANY of their QBs into viable options and their O-line isn’t/wasn’t near as good as they thought they’d eventually be!

It was a mistake for sure!

I would feel better if we were able to get another productive WR and an experienced OL. Losing Rouse hurt badly, we would’ve had:

T Richman
T Rouse
C Feth

And let our plethora of guards battle it out for the last two spots. I just think it’s asking a lot of a D2 tackle to come in and start right away for a B10 program. Hopefully it all works out!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT