ADVERTISEMENT

Trick Plays Tomorrow

Sep 3, 2009
I sincerely hope that Iowa has been saving its best stuff for the Wisconsin game tomorrow. Hopefully they will at least break some tendencies and try some things. That being said, how many trick plays will Iowa run tomorrow? I'm going to go with 2, I think it would be really effective to have Cooper in with a jet sweep look, with the option to throw to a receiver. That will probably never happen, but I can't see Iowa running a flea flicker or anything with our offensive line issues.

200w.gif

I think I've seen a couple trick plays by Wisky this year.
Can't remember seeing any by Iowa.

I think we see a lot of screens tomorrow, we try a fake screen deep bomb to a TE/WR. Maybe we try George Kittle’s & Sam LaPorta’s td play.

I always see mentions of Iowa "holding back", saving plays for later, or being vanilla in the non conference so as not to show too much. And yet, that playbook never seems to open up.
The one time I saw us really open it up in recent years (that I can remember) was the Ohio State game. We emptied the bucket that game.

Then the following week we went ultra conservative losing to Wisconsin in Madison I believe.

The one time I saw us really open it up in recent years (that I can remember) was the Ohio State game. We emptied the bucket that game.

Then the following week we went ultra conservative losing to Wisconsin in Madison I believe.
There was one other......

I can't remember the game or QB, but the QB (might have been Vandenberg) and offense was not doing very well and Kirk was taking heat from fans....so he opened up the playbook one game and was throwing the ball all over the field. The QB put up great numbers....over 300 yards and a couple of td's......it was his way of "showing" the fans the right QB was starting.

The very next week he went back to the same-old, same-old.

I can't remember the game or QB, but the QB (might have been Vandenberg) and offense was not doing very well and Kirk was taking heat from fans....so he opened up the playbook one game and was throwing the ball all over the field. The QB put up great numbers....over 300 yards and a couple of td's......it was his way of "showing" the fans the right QB was starting.

It was Vandenberg against Pitt in 2011. We went no-huddle most of the game and KMM caught 3 TDs as the hawks came from behind to win.

Iowa is pretty ineffective running normal stuff. The trick play that didn't work last week is an example of execution on stuff that isn't normal.

I'm not expecting any this week.

We lost that game too.

Iowa is pretty ineffective running normal stuff. The trick play that didn't work last week is an example of execution on stuff that isn't normal.

Gotta wonder how much time they wasted in practice last week repping that LT screen, just to run it once in the game, failing, and forgetting about it.

If they can't execute their regular offense, what's the likelihood they'll be able to pull off something out of the ordinary?

Unless it was something backyard simple like a quick toss to the back who looks immediately for a downfield sideline throw. The fewer players who have to be "in on it" the better. And it has to happen fast. anything with multiple reverses in the backfield would be blown up immediately.

At ohio state in 09 just went back and looked at the box score and only 233 yd passing with 2 td's and 3 picks, I thought for sure he was over 300 yds also.

RB didn't maintain his block quite long enough which made 10 rush his throw a little soon and low.

The attempt at the OT screen pass last week. Pass was batted down. It would have worked had we been able to get the ball to the OT. It was at like Purdue's 7 yard line.
Yeah, didn't sign up for Peacock last week is why I would have missed that.

Been a while since we have tried a fake field goal.
Why try a fake FG when even if you get the first down your offense has a small chance of getting a TD. Stevens has a 90% chance of getting 3 points as long as there isnt bad weather and wind

I sincerely hope that Iowa has been saving its best stuff for the Wisconsin game tomorrow. Hopefully they will at least break some tendencies and try some things. That being said, how many trick plays will Iowa run tomorrow? I'm going to go with 2, I think it would be really effective to have Cooper in with a jet sweep look, with the option to throw to a receiver. That will probably never happen, but I can't see Iowa running a flea flicker or anything with our offensive line issues.
We dont block the running back sweep well enough for the Back to then throw a pass.

To run trick plays you normally have to have some pretty good offensive success to "Sell" to the defense. Flea flickers not working unless your run game really occupies the defense, ALL being at fullback last week is like a trick play for Iowa,

A double reverse pass play could work as the defense should flow pretty fast to the sweep to one side, then the guy with the ball after the double reverse just needs a little time or depth to get off a pass.

Heck a shovel pass to All coming from outside the tackle to get the pass right behind center with the hope for a nice hole

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT