ADVERTISEMENT

Trick Plays Tomorrow

I sincerely hope that Iowa has been saving its best stuff for the Wisconsin game tomorrow. Hopefully they will at least break some tendencies and try some things. That being said, how many trick plays will Iowa run tomorrow? I'm going to go with 2, I think it would be really effective to have Cooper in with a jet sweep look, with the option to throw to a receiver. That will probably never happen, but I can't see Iowa running a flea flicker or anything with our offensive line issues.
Check down to a handoff but THIS time....the RB runs to the RIGHT side and into the middle of a stacked defense for a 1 yard gain.

I still have a little PTSD of overthrowing the fullback in the big ten championship game.

I’m not sure what the offense needs is trick plays. I think simply pushing the ball down field and threatening all areas of the field is what is meant by “opening up the playbook”. And so far, despite the inaccurate throws, it seems like Deacon does that! And the running game will benefit greatly if we continue to threaten deeper (especially WHEN we hit a few).

As a side note, I sorta believe Brian does a really good job of designing and running trick plays. Execution…not so much (see tackle screen last week or afore mentioned fullback overthrow). And people calling for trick plays tend to also be the ones that bitch about them not working…so catch 22.

The attempt at the OT screen pass last week. Pass was batted down. It would have worked had we been able to get the ball to the OT. It was at like Purdue's 7 yard line.
Well iowa wrs struggle with catching, so it’s a big leap to assume the ball is caught by a tackle if it made it to his hands :p

As has been mentioned, we don't execute basic offensive plays well with much consistency. That said, the dumbass OC will probably call a trick play when we are moving the ball on the ground. The trick play results in either a huge loss of yardage or a turnover.

Would punting on 3rd down or having the QB punt constitute a trick play?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT