ADVERTISEMENT

Triple Double

Iowa men’s bball has never had a triple double. Can we borrow Caitlin Clark for a few games?!?!?
Come On Reaction GIF by BrownSugarApp

You must be a sad, pathetic wreck of a person. Why not congratulate the young man on his accomplishment instead of wallowing in your own misery. What a mess.
If you've seen his posts you know he's a bitcher.

Maybe Roy Marble would have had the type of game that could get a triple double. Not a lot of Hawks I can think of that had all three phases to their game. Even for sandfort it is a bit of a fluke for him to get 10 assists. His points and rebounding are pretty good normally.
When he wants to be more of a playmaker he’s a really good passer. Especially with cuts to the basket.

Another guy that wasn't going to come close to 10 rebounds, especially with Settles and Bowen on the team. He wasn't even a guarantee to score double figures his first two years with Kingsbury and Millard also around. His senior year might've had a chance, but still Rucker, Koch, and Bowen were grabbing all the boards. He was a turnover machine at times, but even then ten is a lot and Dr. Tom probably benches him if it's that bad.
About the same a/to ratio as BJ had. Is he still the only player to lead the B1G in scoring and assists…. On the men’s side

About the same a/to ratio as BJ had. Is he still the only player to lead the B1G in scoring and assists…. On the men’s side

On a per game basis, yes. Talor Battle did it one year in totals because PSU played 38 games, but was second in each if you did go by per game average.

Sure we have: turnovers, missed shots, and allowed 3’s by the opponent. That’s the Iowa men’s triple double of futility. A trademark over the past 30 years.
Aw, c'mon Roy L., now isn't the time for negative comments. This is a GOOD thing!

My guess would have been John Johnson on the 1969-70 undefeated Big Ten championship team. John could definitely score, he was a strong rebounder, and an excellent passer on a team that averaged over 100 points per game.
It wouldn't surprise me if he actually did have one had assists been officially tracked that early. He had 7 in his NBA career.

Congrats #20!

This is a real testament to Caitlin's greatness because if she would have had a 26/10/10 game a lot of people would be ho-hum and maybe kind of disappointed because she didn't score in the high 30's or 40's. Knowing that no Hawkeye MBB player ever did it goes to show how hard it is to do.

My guess would have been John Johnson on the 1969-70 undefeated Big Ten championship team. John could definitely score, he was a strong rebounder, and an excellent passer on a team that averaged over 100 points per game.
Mine too, but then I found the NCAA wasn't keeping track of assists till 1983...

JJ averaged 24 points and 10.5 rebounds. No assist stats...
...or Gerry Jones 16 points/10.4 rebounds...

Those two would have need one big assist night, who knows?

CC22 has 5 this season, Sandfort just got the first ever for the men. Now I am wondering this; In Men's D1 ball, this season, how many triple doubles have been achieved? Surely one of you brainiac's can find that out for us.
Sandfort got the 31st triple-double in D1 this season

5 of the total 31 were aginst non-D1 competition. So in reality there have 26 this season. Tristan Newton from UConn has 2. McCullar from Kansas has 2. And a dude from Western Carolina has 3.

5 of the total 31 were aginst non-D1 competition. So in reality there have 26 this season. Tristan Newton from UConn has 2. McCullar from Kansas has 2. And a dude from Western Carolina has 3.
Thanks! I actually went out and looked at NCAA.org and saw that. Also, CC22 has 5, and there was another girl with 3.

Congrats #20!

This is a real testament to Caitlin's greatness because if she would have had a 26/10/10 game a lot of people would be ho-hum and maybe kind of disappointed because she didn't score in the high 30's or 40's. Knowing that no Hawkeye MBB player ever did it goes to show how hard it is to do.
To be honest, many of us were a bit disappointed with her 24/15/10 stats in the last game. Mostly about the scoring.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
That was my first thought, too.

seems odd that this is the first for Iowa.
After 30 seconds of research I found
UNC has 2.
Duke 4.
The ACC has 32.
Indiana 3
UCLA 4
UK 3

About that qualifier. Assists, blocked shots and steals didn’t become official statistics until the 1970s, 1973 for assists, 1977 for blocks and steals
Thanks for that info. It actually makes it a lot more reasonable that Iowa hasn't had one till now. Those are the bluest of blue bloods and only had a few.

Really good call. I agree he was the best equipped in Iowa history to get triple double,

That is, until Payton Sandfort came along!

Well it's pretty rare for a player other than a point guard to have 10 assists or for a point guard to have 10 rebounds so I'm not sure why it's surprising. Acie Earl had 9 steals in a game and probably 10 blocks at least once, but he also shared a lot of boards with Chris Street so getting 10 wasn't easy. Pierre Pierce and Jeff Horner are really the only two that might've had a chance but even then 10 rebounds was going to be tough with Brunner on the team.
I just checked the Hawkeye media guide and see that Earl holds the single game block record with 9 and he had 27 double doubles in his career. He probably came close to a triple D with blocks in a couple of those games.

seems odd that this is the first for Iowa.
After 30 seconds of research I found
UNC has 2.
Duke 4.
The ACC has 32.
Indiana 3
UCLA 4
UK 3

About that qualifier. Assists, blocked shots and steals didn’t become official statistics until the 1970s, 1973 for assists, 1977 for blocks and steals
Pretty funny those blue bloods with just a couple all time, and CC on her own has 16, lol.....Ask Jay Williams though, since she's NOT a great player......

Reactions: LukaDuka
The Penn State HC, in the postgame, was shocked that Iowa never had a player with a triple double before.

"BJ Armstrong never had a triple double? Wow. Congrats to Payton."
Hard to imagine BJ pulling down 10 boards with the studs on that team.. o_O

He had a great game last night. Still he throws a lot of REALLY bad passes as well. Craziest stat from last night. When was the last time a guy had 25 points and only made THREE shots from the field?
Unfortunately I missed the game, but that's some Moses Malone type free throw numbers. Was he being hacked that much? He doesn't typically take a lot of shots in the paint and draw this many fouls.

He had a great game last night. Still he throws a lot of REALLY bad passes as well. Craziest stat from last night. When was the last time a guy had 25 points and only made THREE shots from the field?
Sports-Reference only goes back to 2010 but you've only got 7 guys. Interestingly Payton did it with the least amount of FTA.

The dude from Western Carolina just got another tonight on ESPNU. Up to 4 on the year.

Her recruitment and Freshman year was the beginning of me getting interested in the Iowa women’s basketball program again… She was Caitlyn before Caitlyn came along…😊
I've been following the Iowa women since the C. Vivian Stringer days. I remember watching the Regional game against Tennessee and then Final Four game against Ohio State in '93. It was the first time I got to see an Iowa team make it that far in an NCAA Tournament, so I thought it was cool to watch.

Coverage was non-existent back in those days, so the best I could do was check the highlights on the news or read the paper.

As coverage grew though, I would occasionally listen to games on the radio, especially if they made the tournament. The 2001 season was particularly fun because it was the first time both the men and women won the BTT, and in the same season.

And ever since I went to Iowa in the late 2000s, I've been following them pretty regularly whenever I could.

/csb

Reactions: cmhawks99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT