ADVERTISEMENT

Trump plans to end birthright citizenship with an Executive Order

He said he was told he might be able to, didn't say he was going to do it. Heard the interview on the radio, not sm
1st Session, 39th Congress, pt. 1, p. 498. The debate on the Civil Rights Act contained the following exchange:
Mr. Cowan: "I will ask whether it will not have the effect of naturalizing the children of Chinese and Gypsies born in this country?"
Mr. Trumbull: "Undoubtedly."
Mr. Trumbull: "I understand that under the naturalization laws the children who are born here of parents who have not been naturalized are citizens. This is the law, as I understand it, at the present time. Is not the child born in this country of German parents a citizen? I am afraid we have got very few citizens in some of the counties of good old Pennsylvania if the children born of German parents are not citizens."
Mr. Cowan: "The honorable Senator assumes that which is not the fact. The children of German parents are citizens; but Germans are not Chinese; Germans are not Australians, nor Hottentots, nor anything of the kind. That is the fallacy of his argument."
Mr. Trumbull: "If the Senator from Pennsylvania will show me in the law any distinction made between the children of German parents and the children of Asiatic parents, I may be able to appreciate the point which he makes; but the law makes no such distinction; and the child of an Asiatic is just as much of a citizen as the child of a European."
And why were they here? Lawfully immigrated and processed? Registered as aliens? Or just passing through? Just taking advantage of a situation? Why does the first section say "born AND subject to the jurisdiction..." - obviously not everyone born here.

My takes, which aren't worth much around here:

He said he was told he might be able to, didn't say he was going to do it. Heard the interview on the radio, not sm

Our President seems like the very epitome of guy-in-charge-who-wants-a-yes-man, with plenty of evidence to support that belief. Therefore likely asks questions until he gets the answer he is demanding.
And why were they here? Lawfully immigrated and processed? Registered as aliens? Or just passing through? Just taking advantage of a situation? Why does the first section say "born AND subject to the jurisdiction..." - obviously not everyone born here.

Most reasonable reading of that, to me, is that they aren't part of an exception, most obviously being that of foreign diplomats/ambassadors/etc. For example, Sergey Kislyak in the US as ambassador to Russia, is here directly for, on behalf of, and under the jurisdiction of Russia. In fact, he would fight being subjugated to any control of the US.

On the other hand, an immigrant, legal or otherwise, likely entering the country purposefully to avail themselves of the US' jurisdiction, not to fight it. Joe German-Name doesn't move to little Minnesota and declare the land for the fatherland and expel all others, he subjects himself to taxes, policing, and social policies; i.e. subject to the jurisdiction of the US.

Otherwise, who specifically would be born here and subject to the jurisdiction, that isn't already going to be considered a citizen? That would alter far more than just illegal immigrants.

So, contrary to what JP tried to claim, the 14th did not help McCain at all.

Thank you for proving my point.
You're welcome. You were wrong about the Naturalization Act of 1790 granting automatic citizenship to McCain however, so it's a wash.

I admit he is undoing the ruling by fiat of Obama. Yes. Absolutely nothing wrong with undoing Obama's power grabs.
What a complete load of total horseshit.

Executive Orders by president:

40 Ronald W. Reagan 380
41 George H. W. Bush 166
42 Bill Clinton 364
43 George W. Bush 291
44 Barack Obama 276

In case you weren't paying attention...and you weren't...H. W. racked up his 166 in a single term putting him on track to issue over 300. So of the last five presidents, Obama was a rank amateur at "ruling by fiat". You shouldn't lie...people will think you're a liar.

Reactions: artradley
What a complete load of total horseshit.

Executive Orders by president:

40 Ronald W. Reagan 380
41 George H. W. Bush 166
42 Bill Clinton 364
43 George W. Bush 291
44 Barack Obama 276

In case you weren't paying attention...and you weren't...H. W. racked up his 166 in a single term putting him on track to issue over 300. So of the last five presidents, Obama was a rank amateur at "ruling by fiat". You shouldn't lie...people will think you're a liar.

I'll help him out. Reagan's and Bush's were to reverse Carter's, and W's were just to reverse Clinton's!

You're welcome. You were wrong about the Naturalization Act of 1790 granting automatic citizenship to McCain however, so it's a wash.
Sigh.

My main point was that McCain was a US citizen through blood and not through soil. The 1937 law applied to McCain only because he was born to American parents. If he did not have at least one US citizen parent then he would not have been a US citizen himself.

He was a US citizen because of who his parents were, not because of where he was born.

I'll give Trump credit for one thing. He got a lot of people talking about something that he can't do, instead of talking about the hatred he stokes, the murder of journalists, his lie about a tax cut, Robert Mueller… Excellent diversion by Trump.

Sigh.

My main point was that McCain was a US citizen through blood and not through soil. The 1937 law applied to McCain only because he was born to American parents. If he did not have at least one US citizen parent then he would not have been a US citizen himself.

He was a US citizen because of who his parents were, not because of where he was born.
Sigh...and my only point is that he wasn't a citizen by blood when he was born. Citizenship was conferred by that 1937 law, not by the Naturalization Act of 1790.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT