ADVERTISEMENT

Trump to Impose 100% TARIFF on Imported Cars

Do you approve of a 100% Tariff on imported cars?

• Total voters
Define "imported" vehicle. Is a Nissan, Toyota or Honda product assembled in the United States an "imported" vehicle?

Is a Ford, Chrysler or GM vehicle assembled outside the United States an "imported" vehicle?

Reactions: goldmom
He doesn’t understand and apparently the mouth breathers who follow him don’t “ponder” on his statements either.
Ohio is where they make Honda products. Whoops. That 100% tariff just dissolved thousands of jobs making one of America’s most popular and reliable vehicles. Oh well.
J.D. Vance better tell him to shut up in between kissing his butt so he’s on the short list for VP

Define "imported" vehicle. Is a Nissan, Toyota or Honda product assembled in the United States an "imported" vehicle?

Is a Ford, Chrysler or GM vehicle assembled outside the United States an "imported" vehicle?
Mexico has had plants on the border for years doing final assembly for the Big 3. Some of that country’s best paying steady jobs. Imagine that disaster.

And Mitt Romney murdered some lady’s husband. Remember? Good luck expecting swing voters to buy all of these repeated lies.
Uh...what? No, I don't remember that. At all. But then I'm sure if Mitt Romney said it in a speech I would. This isn't a lie someone made up. Trump said it himself. Now he can claim whatever he wants about what he "meant", but he does this shit all the time. Given his rhetoric, you are a fool if you don't take him at what he says. If he says there will be a bloodbath, you need to believe that he's going to send hordes of his brown shirts out to start killing political enemies. He had them try to overthrow an election, after all.

He doesn’t understand and apparently the mouth breathers who follow him don’t “ponder” on his statements either.
Ohio is where they make Honda products. Whoops. That 100% tariff just dissolved thousands of jobs making one of America’s most popular and reliable vehicles. Oh well.
J.D. Vance better tell him to shut up in between kissing his butt so he’s on the short list for VP
Not that I want to defend Trump, but Hondas and Toyotas are not considered foreign vehicles because most of the parts are manufactured in the US. At least that's my understanding. I could be wrong on that though. Would Trump still try to tariff those?

Heck, in alot of cases aren’t parts partly built in other countries and then final assembly is completed here?

If nothing else, it’s a heckuva lot cheaper to ship 100,000 engines via cargo ship than 100,000 cars.

Reactions: goldmom
Uh...what? No, I don't remember that. At all. But then I'm sure if Mitt Romney said it in a speech I would. This isn't a lie someone made up. Trump said it himself. Now he can claim whatever he wants about what he "meant", but he does this shit all the time. Given his rhetoric, you are a fool if you don't take him at what he says. If he says there will be a bloodbath, you need to believe that he's going to send hordes of his brown shirts out to start killing political enemies. He had them try to overthrow an election, after all.
Or at least that some of his supporters will take it that way. Trump says whatever he typically thinks will get him the loudest applause.

It's not clear which cars he was referring to, so if anyone can add context to clarify that, that would be helpful. Meanwhile, here's what WaPo reported:

“Now we’re going to put a 100 percent tariff on every single car that comes across [the] line, and you’re not going to be able to sell those guys — if I get elected,” he said.​

And, U.S. made cars would double in price. The ones that last half as long as those from Asian markets.

Not that I want to defend Trump, but Hondas and Toyotas are not considered foreign vehicles because most of the parts are manufactured in the US. At least that's my understanding. I could be wrong on that though. Would Trump still try to tariff those?
Fair question and it causes confusion which is certainly not on short supply this election cycle.

Romney didn’t say it and neither did Trump with this. But it never stopped Dems from spewing it as the truth. That’s the point.

It’s almost impossible to hear or read the full context of what Trump said and come away with what Dems and MSM are portraying it as. It’s so dishonest.

And, U.S. made cars would double in price. The ones that last half as long as those from Asian markets.
My Acura is a Honda Motors product and it’s my understanding they are still a majority foreign made car. I guess if Trump wins 🤯 it will be my last one. (Current one is my 4th)
My sister is on her fifth Volvo but I guess the Swedes don’t get a break either?

Romney didn’t say it and neither did Trump with this. But it never stopped Dems from spewing it as the truth. That’s the point.

It’s almost impossible to hear or read the full context of what Trump said and come away with what Dems and MSM are portraying it as. It’s so dishonest.
If Trump doesn't want to be misquoted then he shouldn't say stupid things. Like, pretending that US manufacturers are somehow doing poorly right now. They seem to be making plenty of money.

Reactions: BelemNole
To be honest neither side holds their guy accountable.
That's not true at all. Do we need to list the number of Democrats who no longer have a job in government because of choices they've made?

If Trump doesn't want to be misquoted then he shouldn't say stupid things. Like, pretending that US manufacturers are somehow doing poorly right now. They seem to be making plenty of money.
Tell the big lie repeatedly and soon it becomes a substitute for the truth. It’s a tried and true tactic, sadly.
Like when will everyone accept that Joe created 15 million jobs and stop bringing up the inconvenient fact that most of those are just folks going back to work post-Covid??

That's not true at all. Do we need to list the number of Democrats who no longer have a job in government because of choices they've made?
Or the number of Repubs in the Trump era headed to the Graybar Hotel? Or kicked out like Santos just recently?
Say - when’s good old Bob Menendez getting fitted for prison stripes?

Tell the big lie repeatedly and soon it becomes a substitute for the truth. It’s a tried and true tactic, sadly.
Like when will everyone accept that Joe created 15 million jobs and stop bringing up the inconvenient fact that most of those are just folks going back to work post-Covid??
If Trump would have had a stronger response to Covid in the first place the number of jobs lost would have been significantly less. Perhaps if he hadn't eliminated the agencies and committees specifically designed to deal with a crisis like Covid the response would have been better. It certainly would have been better than ignoring it and hoping it would go away and then telling everyone to inject themselves with bleach.

If Trump would have had a stronger response to Covid in the first place the number of jobs lost would have been significantly less. Perhaps if he hadn't eliminated the agencies and committees specifically designed to deal with a crisis like Covid the response would have been better. It certainly would have been better than ignoring it and hoping it would go away and then telling everyone to inject themselves with bleach.
So Biden lying about job creation is Trump’s fault?
There ya go!

I don't give a shit about Trump or what he says. I'm just pointing out that people are being incredibly dishonest when they act like he's talking about some sort of violent revolution if he loses, rather than China taking advantage of our economy, which is clearly what he was referring to.

If you want to keep misrepresenting it under the "Well he said stuff like that before" rule, have at it. Doesn't change the fact that it's 100% a false narrative and completely unneeded. If you wait 5 minutes he will probably say the exact thing you're trying to pin on him now.

Here's the thing. this election is about to have the most "undecided" voters we've seen in a long time. The Dems need to figure out if the best way to sway those voters is by insulting their intelligence with lies. Especially considering it was those exact same type of lies told about Romney that helped Trump get elected in the first place.

Merriam Webster Definition of "Bloodbath"

bloodbath​

noun

blood·bath ˈbləd-ˌbath
-ˌbäth

Synonyms of bloodbath
1: a great slaughter

2a: a notably fierce, violent, or destructive contest or struggle
the campaign has become a bloodbath

b: a major economic disaster

So Biden lying about job creation is Trump’s fault?
There ya go!
How is it a lie? 15 million people did, in fact, get a job since he became President. There might be some significant other information to give it context, but it isn't a lie. And only a f*****g moron wouldn't understand that. And yes, there are plenty of f*****g morons out there. However, he has guided a recovery that allowed those jobs to come back. That is important and shouldn't be ignored. With Trump's chaos, we would not be in the same situation and the recovery would not be nearly as strong. You think inflation is bad now? Imagine if we still had supply chain issues. Hell, Trump seems to want to recreate those supply chain issues with his "tariff the hell out of everything" plan.

Reactions: BelemNole
Well, somehow when republicans brag about how good the economy was under trump they do forget to include that last year for some reason.
Covid and its effects has been twisted and turned by so many for so many reasons that it almost has become irrelevant at this point.

How is it a lie? 15 million people did, in fact, get a job since he became President. There might be some significant other information to give it context, but it isn't a lie. And only a f*****g moron wouldn't understand that. And yes, there are plenty of f*****g morons out there. However, he has guided a recovery that allowed those jobs to come back. That is important and shouldn't be ignored. With Trump's chaos, we would not be in the same situation and the recovery would not be nearly as strong. You think inflation is bad now? Imagine if we still had supply chain issues. Hell, Trump seems to want to recreate those supply chain issues with his "tariff the hell out of everything" plan.
It's so weird watching Dems argue against one of their main platform tenets in protecting the American worker through tariffs. All because Trump is for them now.

I will just say that I suspect you’re better at analyzing the contents of a Petri dish than you are at analyzing the politics, gamesmanship and Kabuki theater of what’s being said in this election year.
No offense.

Covid and its effects has been twisted and turned by so many for so many reasons that it almost has become irrelevant at this point.
Sure, but you can’t give trump credit for his pre-covid economy and then not allow Biden to receive credit for his economy by pointing out that it’s due to a pandemic bounce back.

You want to compare trumps first 3 years to Biden’s last 3, be my guest. Biden still wins that argument tho.

I will just say that I suspect you’re better at analyzing the contents of a Petri dish than you are at analyzing the politics, gamesmanship and Kabuki theater of what’s being said in this election year.
No offense.
No, I'm just not looking for any excuse not to believe the intent of what Trump is saying. He already tried to overthrow the government. Literally nothing is too far for him. You are going to be like the people in Dachau who ""didn't know"" what was happening at the concentration camp two miles outside of town. You don't want to know so you choose to not see it. You can't afford to pretend he isn't going to do terrible things if he gets in power again. He is campaigning on doing those things. When he tells you who he is, believe him.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Sure, but you can’t give trump credit for his pre-covid economy and then not allow Biden to receive credit for his economy by pointing out that it’s due to a pandemic bounce back.

You want to compare trumps first 3 years to Biden’s last 3, be my guest. Biden still wins that argument tho.
I’m not necessarily giving or taking credit on either one. I’m in that camp that thinks our economy largely moved one way or another on its own but COVID was a unique event (thankfully).

B/C someone talks financial gibberish does not make him smart and Finance and makes all kind of nonsensical remarks and statements.

You determine among fact, fiction/fiction/con.
Genuinely interested in your financial expertise? Please share.

No, I'm just not looking for any excuse not to believe the intent of what Trump is saying. He already tried to overthrow the government. Literally nothing is too far for him. You are going to be like the people in Dachau who ""didn't know"" what was happening at the concentration camp two miles outside of town. You don't want to know so you choose to not see it. You can't afford to pretend he isn't going to do terrible things if he gets in power again. He is campaigning on doing those things. When he tells you who he is, believe him.
My God what an emotionally overreacting response.
I need to digest this before responding further,

My God what an emotionally overreacting response.
I need to digest this before responding further,
If threatening to dismantle Democratic rule in the United States does not generate an emotional response from you then there is something wrong with you.

• Haha
Reactions: abby97
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT