ADVERTISEMENT

Trump to Impose 100% TARIFF on Imported Cars

Do you approve of a 100% Tariff on imported cars?

• Total voters
Didn't he single handedly apply tariffs before?
Yes, he sparked a trade war with China that cost American farmers billions causing permanent damage to US grain markets. China cultivated new sources in Brazil and Argentina and they are now entrenched.
Presidents have huge authority in trade policy/ tariffs. He seems determined to destroy the global economy.

Yes, he sparked a trade war with China that cost American farmers billions causing permanent damage to US grain markets. China cultivated new sources in Brazil and Argentina and they are now entrenched.
Presidents have huge authority in trade policy/ tariffs. He seems determined to destroy the global economy.

Just another thing the next Democratic President can be blamed for

PRICES ARE SO HIGH!1!!

Chinese cars only that are made in Mexico.
Don’t waste your breath, let them talk out of there ass. Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, KIA or any other foreign car manufacturer are not under attack. It’s one segment, Chinese made EVs. China is about to take over the market by dumping these vehicles and other manufacturers have already waved the white flag facing the inevitable by scaling back EV production or abandoning it all together. Every auto making country is concerned about this.

Trump said Biden is putting all his eggs in the EV market, and China has most of the raw materials and much of the EV production. Thus, Trump said Biden is putting the U.S. auto industry and the economy at the whim of China. He then said China was going to move much of their production to Mexico to take advantage of the American free trade zone. Trump then said to prevent that, he would put a 100% tariff on those vehicles made by China in Mexico. That is what was actually said . As far as the bloodbath comment, he then went on to say if he wasn't elected, Biden would create a "bloodbath" for the U.S. auto industry along with the economy at large.
Trump said? Explain the US pumping so much oil then if Biden is "all in" on EV.

It's not clear which cars he was referring to, so if anyone can add context to clarify that, that would be helpful. Meanwhile, here's what WaPo reported:

“Now we’re going to put a 100 percent tariff on every single car that comes across [the] line, and you’re not going to be able to sell those guys — if I get elected,” he said.​

Actually, it was very clear what he was talking about. He was specifically referencing the automotive plants China is building in Mexico, which they plan to use to undercut the US automotive industry. He said he'd put a 100% tariff on those to ensure they couldn't sell the cars built in Mexico.

It helps to watch the full clips of things, this is how you get the "bloodbath" narrative from last weekend, and the like...

If I were the left, I'd probably sieze on the phrase where he spoke as if he were talking directly to president Xi, where he said 'I know we're friends' and stop right there, before he says 'but you know how I operate.' going on to explain the 100% tariff.

I saw about a 1 minute clip somewhere, was all pretty clear.

Actually, it was very clear what he was talking about. He was specifically referencing the automotive plants China is building in Mexico, which they plan to use to undercut the US automotive industry. He said he'd put a 100% tariff on those to ensure they couldn't sell the cars built in Mexico.
Thanks for the clarification.

Wouldn't that be a violation of the new NAFTA agreement that Trump pushed through? That's a question; I don't know the answer.

As I understand it, AMLO leaves office after the upcoming Mexican election. Per usual, we will be trying to engineer a much more pro-US replacement. Is that a good time to harm Mexico's economy?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT