ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Cook

gohawks7470

All-Conference
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2012
What's the feeling with our chances on him? Looks like he'd be one of if not our best recruit yet under Fran.

Sounds like he wants to trim his list even further by the end of the summer. My feeling is that we'll be in it right to the end, but I still think he goes to Mizzou

I should also add that if he does announce within the next two months or so and does not choose the Hawks, I could see us offering Kriener. He just picked up offers from Mizzou and Wichita State, in addition to UNI and other MVC teams.

I'll go with potentially one of Fran & Companies best. But to be quite honest if "all" Coach can get is guys like this 2015 class? IMO we're pushing Lute Olson level success in the future. As Rothstein called them, a bunch of unranked three stars. (If it wasn't him it was some other pundit I recently read) But he forgot to add, of the Fran McCaffery type.

I'd love to have Cook, and Moore, but should they go elsewhere I have no concerns that there are players out there that want to be Hawkeyes that are quite capable of playing winning basketball. Ryan Kriener? If he's got the head, heart and guts, he could be a good one for any team.

Not talking to any poster in particular, but this is sooooooooooo easy. Trust Fran.

Last edited:
Kreiner may get an offer from Fran...all we know as of today he has not...and Missouri has (oh and Wichita State).

We also know ISU has offered Devontae Lane..Fran has not

Last edited:
Reactions: dcgohawks
It appears that Iowa State's recruiting strategy/philosophy has completely changed since Hoiberg left town, even tho his star recruiter is still around (I think).

I'll go with potentially one of Fran & Companies best. But to be quite honest if "all" Coach can get is guys like this 2015 class? IMO we're pushing Lute Olson level success in the future. As Rothstein called them, a bunch of unranked three stars. (If it wasn't him it was some other pundit I recently read) But he forgot to add, of the Fran McCaffery type.

I'd love to have Cook, and Moore, but should they go elsewhere I have no concerns that there are players out there that want to be Hawkeyes that are quite capable of playing winning basketball. Ryan Kriener? If he's got the head, heart and guts, he could be a good one for any team.

Not talking to any poster in particular, but this is sooooooooooo easy. Trust Fran.
If he turned into a Seth Tuttle type player who flys under the radar that would be perfect.

It appears that Iowa State's recruiting strategy/philosophy has completely changed since Hoiberg left town, even tho his star recruiter is still around (I think).

I don't disagree for this summer, but if you're talking about transfers, the free agent market was pretty dried up by the time Prohm got there. They still hosted a few on campus, but none committed. But it does appear that they are going a more "traditional" route for 2016 high school players.

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
Fleming, Moss and Hutton were not entirely under the radar guys but none were predicted as instant impact stars either. However, all were sufficiently well known and recruited that someone other than McCaffery saw the break out potential in them.

Odds are pretty good that one will take off on a 1st team ABT career and maybe more than one. Fleming sounds like the most ready to play but Hutton could become a big crowd favorite.

Hutton, Fleming and Moss were not what I'd call under the radar. All had other offers from power 5 conferences and in the case of Hutton and Moss, both were rated 4 star recruits by other sites.

What a waste of talent if he goes to Mizzou. Dead last in the SEC last year.

What a waste of talent if he goes to Mizzou. Dead last in the SEC last year.

What's wrong with a 9-23 record on a club trending sideways at best??

Got to admit, MU's hiring of Cook's AAU coach was not a bad move. If not for him, the contacts he should have of other coaches down the road...

Cook is the kid who puts us over the top. Elite 8, final 4 run with what we have now and what is coming in with McCaffery's, Wieskamp etc. There is deep run possible in multiple years with Cook in the mix.

Cook is the kid who puts us over the top. Elite 8, final 4 run with what we have now and what is coming in with McCaffery's, Wieskamp etc. There is deep run possible in multiple years with Cook in the mix.

Agreed. A solid post player is what Fran wants and needs. All the other bases are covered. Although adding Moore would be huge, too. Top 3 in B1G thru the rest of the decade. That would be kicka$$.

Agreed. A solid post player is what Fran wants and needs. All the other bases are covered. Although adding Moore would be huge, too. Top 3 in B1G thru the rest of the decade. That would be kicka$$.
Adding Moore is just as important if not more important. Adding both Moore and Cook, brings us to the discussion of Big Ten Championships. If you are the BT champs, you are one of the top 4 teams in the country and have as good of a chance as anyone for a national title. Illinois and Missouri can't offer that.

Reactions: nu2u
A little info. The University of Kansas Rivals site today removed Tyler Cook from their "Hot Board", meaning they no longer consider that there is even a small chance Cook will be a JayHawk.

Reactions: hawk-i bob
Bob. Push that little "envelope" thing by the flag in the top right corner of the screen. I sent you a message.

A little info. The University of Kansas Rivals site today removed Tyler Cook from their "Hot Board", meaning they no longer consider that there is even a small chance Cook will be a JayHawk.
I believe Cook trimmed his list removing KU from consideration some time ago. Of the remaining list, I consider MU the biggest competitor because they're close and have connections with his dad and AAU coach.

I believe Cook trimmed his list removing KU from consideration some time ago. Of the remaining list, I consider MU the biggest competitor because they're close and have connections with his dad and AAU coach.
MU?

I would watch out for ISU getting him. It sounds like Prohm is constantly contacting him and I have noticed that Cook is constantly putting out bible verses on twitter and Prohm is a huge bible beater.

I would watch out for ISU getting him. It sounds like Prohm is constantly contacting him and I have noticed that Cook is constantly putting out bible verses on twitter and Prohm is a huge bible beater.

I wouldn't worry about ISU. Mizzou, Arkansas and even Virginia, yes. Iowa, Mizzou, and Arkansas have been recruiting him the hardest. It seems like every person who visits Virginia commits, although they may have bowed out due to the Nichols commit.

I wouldn't worry about ISU. Mizzou, Arkansas and even Virginia, yes. Iowa, Mizzou, and Arkansas have been recruiting him the hardest. It seems like every person who visits Virginia commits, although they may have bowed out due to the Nichols commit.

there was just an interview with him on Monday saying that that he is being recruited hard by Iowa State. Prohm and Otzelberger are both recruiting him and he said that he talks to them almost everyday.

I believe it may be down to Missouri and us. I know he had not had Kansas in his top six, but he is buddies with Michael Porter Jr., who is visiting Kansas soon, already plans another visit later, and from my reckoning has to be considered a Kansas lean. So, until today I've never topped thinking that Kansas might yet swoop back in and make a push for Cook.

I believe it may be down to Missouri and us. I know he had not had Kansas in his top six, but he is buddies with Michael Porter Jr., who is visiting Kansas soon, already plans another visit later, and from my reckoning has to be considered a Kansas lean. So, until today I've never topped thinking that Kansas might yet swoop back in and make a push for Cook.

Its believed that Kansas offered Cook to get to Jayson Tatum who is his aau teammate.

Right now I believe Fran has a very good idea of who we will get. It is just killing me to not know.

there was just an interview with him on Monday saying that that he is being recruited hard by Iowa State. Prohm and Otzelberger are both recruiting him and he said that he talks to them almost everyday.

He is being recruited hard by Iowa State - but not as hard as he is by the others. If ISU fans think they are going to get him, they are in for a disappointment. He talks to the ISU coaches almost every day? He talks to Fran or Sherman Dillard every day. He talks to the Mizzou coaches all the time, he talks to the Arkansas coaches all the time. Iowa, Mizzou, and Arkansas were at all of his July games. That's not to say ISU isn't in the mix, because otherwise they would not have made his top 6, but they're not one of the leaders.

Right now I believe Fran has a very good idea of who we will get. It is just killing me to not know.

Could you live with this ;)

0 Ahmad Wagner 6'7" 230 So F Huber Heights, OH
1 Dale Jones 6'8" 220 Sr F Waterloo, IA
2 Andrew Flemming 6'5" 205 So G Nashville, TN
3 Peter Jok 6'6" 200 Sr G W. Des Moines, IA
4 Ryan Kriener 6'9" 240 Fr F/C Spirit Lake, IA
5 Charlie Moore 5'11" 170 Fr G Chicago, IL
11 Christian Williams 6'6" 185 So. G Decatur, IL
23 Isaiah Moss 6'6" 195 So G Chicago, IL
24 Brady Ellingson 6'4" 185 So G Sussex, WI
25 Dominique Uhl 6'9" 215 Jr F Point Pleasant, NJ
30 Brandon Hutton 6'6" 210 So G/F Chicago, IL
42 Tyler Cook 6'8" 240 Fr F St. Loius, MO
45 Cordell Pemsl 6'8" 235 Fr F Dubuque, IA
51 Nicholas Baer 6'7" 210 So F Bettendorf, IA

Could you live with this ;)

0 Ahmad Wagner 6'7" 230 So F Huber Heights, OH
1 Dale Jones 6'8" 220 Sr F Waterloo, IA
2 Andrew Flemming 6'5" 205 So G Nashville, TN
3 Peter Jok 6'6" 200 Sr G W. Des Moines, IA
4 Ryan Kriener 6'9" 240 Fr F/C Spirit Lake, IA
5 Charlie Moore 5'11" 170 Fr G Chicago, IL
11 Christian Williams 6'6" 185 So. G Decatur, IL
23 Isaiah Moss 6'6" 195 So G Chicago, IL
24 Brady Ellingson 6'4" 185 So G Sussex, WI
25 Dominique Uhl 6'9" 215 Jr F Point Pleasant, NJ
30 Brandon Hutton 6'6" 210 So G/F Chicago, IL
42 Tyler Cook 6'8" 240 Fr F St. Loius, MO
45 Cordell Pemsl 6'8" 235 Fr F Dubuque, IA
51 Nicholas Baer 6'7" 210 So F Bettendorf, IA

Um....yes!!! Again, in my opinion, that would be the most talented roster up and down since the '80's. Moore and Cook is just what we need to end this class. Hopefully they feel the same way!!!

If Fran adds Cook and Moore the University might as well go ahead and build a new arena in order to accommodate the ticket demand.

Short of that (and even without them) is there anything being done to ensure broadcast of non-conference basketball games? IMO it is beyond pitiful that this far into the 21st century, fans of a B10 school are unable to access a channel, even PPV, to watch games. I could almost understand away games but home games should be covered. In this era of modern technology and advanced communications it is a shame that we too often have to rely on a horse-and-buggy radio broadcast instead.

If Fran adds Cook and Moore the University might as well go ahead and build a new arena in order to accommodate the ticket demand.

Short of that (and even without them) is there anything being done to ensure broadcast of non-conference basketball games? IMO it is beyond pitiful that this far into the 21st century, fans of a B10 school are unable to access a channel, even PPV, to watch games. I could almost understand away games but home games should be covered. In this era of modern technology and advanced communications it is a shame that we too often have to rely on a horse-and-buggy radio broadcast instead.

It's not the technology. Years ago all we had to do was suffer through Herbicide and Old Milwaukee (and everyone knows they were the same thing) commercials. "It don't get any better than this!", the kind of commonplace negativism that we saw all the time in the years before the Microbrews! Hey by golly it did get better than that!

But then these days my mind waters. No typo. It has always wandered but along with that it now squirts excess water out my ear on occasion. A side effect of the Old Milwaukee if you ask me.

I say, seriously, we had bad beer but for a few years there we had dang good coverage of Iowa Basketball games!

I was young then. My parents generation had drank Schiltz, Hamms, Pabst Blue Ribbon, (did anyone ever take a magnifying glass to the label to see what year that blue ribbon was from? A loooooong time ago.) Budweiser, (As long as there are Clydesdales there will always be Budweiser) Miller, and yes a thing called Blatz. In 1959 Blatz was sold to Pabst. Some say the fictitious brewery "Shotz" was named after it.

Shotz was the brewery in "Lavern and Shirley" but we'll never know if the characters, Laverne DeFazio and Shirley Feeney, were really based on two laid off employees from Blatz who moved from Wisconsin to Nevada and founded the infamous Mustang Ranch. But that's another story. One I made up.

So, though I was around, I was young. And I knew many folks from my Dad's generation and the kinds of beer they drank. So it was no surprise, or shock to me the first time I saw Sharm Scheuerman and Mac McCausland announcing an Iowa game. But it sure beat the radio! The radio, one look at Jim Zabel and you knew the only time radio guys touched beer was with their cereal at breakfast!

So, don't blame it on technology. Blame it on Microbrews and the MacroNetworks, these days nothing comes as cheap, or easy.

Last edited:
Yes, Cook and Moore are what we need to finish the class. But what about Rak and Simpson?

A lot of very good prospects we are pursuing. I'm sure we take one point guard and one big.

Who will they be?

There was a tweet today saying Xavier simpson has a new top 7. Schools are iowa, iowa sate, vcu, Pitt, illinois, purdue and xavier. Think xavier is hosting a top 50 pg so maybe they are slow playing simpson? We shall see but looks like iowa is in the mix.

There was a tweet today saying Xavier simpson has a new top 7. Schools are iowa, iowa sate, vcu, Pitt, illinois, purdue and xavier. Think xavier is hosting a top 50 pg so maybe they are slow playing simpson? We shall see but looks like iowa is in the mix.

This is interesting. As to Moore and Simpson, I hope each are aware that the Illini were testing out Williams as a kind of "point forward" even before the injury to Abrams. And Coleman-Lands has always been considered a combo guard. They aren't as wide open as they appear. At Iowa, we've got Christian Williams coming in, and that is pretty much it. Want playing time on a team that finished 12-6 in the Big Ten last season, as compared to the Illini who missed the NCAA tournament? Not to mention the pressure of a school that just might have a coach on the hot seat if this season doesn't pan out?

One of these guys needs to commit before the other takes their spot.

Reactions: icu81222
My first beer: I grabbed a can of Hamms from the refrigerator at the Sioux City restaurant where I was a bus boy and snuck down to the basement to drink it. Nasty! I almost got caught but I guzzled it down quickly and destroyed the evidence.. I still have a neon Hamms sign I picked up in the late 80's that shows the Hamm's Bear rounding the bases (in the land of sky blue waters).

When I started drinking professionally in college it was Schlitz or Coors. For a semester or two Olympia Beer (remember that?) was all the rage. Then, thanks to my girlfriend, I re-discovered the seductive pleasure of marijuana. I don't know where I'm going with this story...........

My first beer: I grabbed a can of Hamms from the refrigerator at the Sioux City restaurant where I was a bus boy and snuck down to the basement to drink it. Nasty! I almost got caught but I guzzled it down quickly and destroyed the evidence.. I still have a neon Hamms sign I picked up in the late 80's that shows the Hamm's Bear rounding the bases (in the land of sky blue waters).

When I started drinking professionally in college it was Schlitz or Coors. For a semester or two Olympia Beer (remember that?) was all the rage. Then, thanks to my girlfriend, I re-discovered the seductive pleasure of marijuana. I don't know where I'm going with this story...........

damn this is funny..and yes I remember Oly...short for Olymbia.....wow...time flys

Geesh, The memories of the mostly good old days, My mom and dad were originally from Northern Wisconsin, So I knew about Chief Oshkosh beer, I have an Oshkosh beer barrel bank still. Good ole Potosi was another fine rotgut, My roommate and I would always keep Old Style in the fridge for when friends came over to mooch beer. Falstaff,Iron City, Man so many beers to remember from the days of yore.

Reactions: lovedwatchingLester
Grandma used to drink schultz and Falstaff and an occasional Hamms.

Grandpa drank gin and 7up so we used to always get 7up as a treat. More than once I accidentally drank grandpa's gin and wow what a surprise for a 5 yr old!

It's not the technology. Years ago all we had to do was suffer through Herbicide and Old Milwaukee (and everyone knows they were the same thing) commercials. "It don't get any better than this!", the kind of commonplace negativism that we saw all the time in the years before the Microbrews! Hey by golly it did get better than that!

But then these days my mind waters. No typo. It has always wandered but along with that it now squirts excess water out my ear on occasion. A side effect of the Old Milwaukee if you ask me.

I say, seriously, we had bad beer but for a few years there we had dang good coverage of Iowa Basketball games!

I was young then. My parents generation had drank Schiltz, Hamms, Pabst Blue Ribbon, (did anyone ever take a magnifying glass to the label to see what year that blue ribbon was from? A loooooong time ago.) Budweiser, (As long as there are Clydesdales there will always be Budweiser) Miller, and yes a thing called Blatz. In 1959 Blatz was sold to Pabst. Some say the fictitious brewery "Shotz" was named after it.

Shotz was the brewery in "Lavern and Shirley" but we'll never know if the characters, Laverne DeFazio and Shirley Feeney, were really based on two laid off employees from Blatz who moved from Wisconsin to Nevada and founded the infamous Mustang Ranch. But that's another story. One I made up.

So, though I was around, I was young. And I knew many folks from my Dad's generation and the kinds of beer they drank. So it was no surprise, or shock to me the first time I saw Sharm Scheuerman and Mac McCausland announcing an Iowa game. But it sure beat the radio! The radio, one look at Jim Zabel and you knew the only time radio guys touched beer was with their cereal at breakfast!

So, don't blame it on technology. Blame it on Microbrews and the MacroNetworks, these days nothing comes as cheap, or easy.
DON'T BLAME CRAFT BEER!

Reactions: silasstarr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT