ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Cook

I would bet that PSU adds Painter as well. For a football school, Chambers is getting the job done on the recruiting trail. Except possibly for Rutgers (and they can be sneak for an upset occasionally), there really is no easy win in the B10 any more. The old B10 adage is still true: to contend you need to win at home and take a couple on the road.
I know PSU is recruiting Lamar Stevens as well. Wouldn't that be a lethal combo- just like Cook and Moore at Iowa, yeah, yeah, that's it!

All I know is that I am not confident either Cook or Moore make it to Iowa. We already moved to plan B with the Kreiner signing, just smells like Iowa coming up short again.

Kriener wasn't the plan B for the spot offered to Cook. Cook still has a committable offer. Dylan Painter doesn't. It wouldn't surprise me if Reid Nikko doesn't either now.

Just my opinion.

Kriener played his way above Painter and Rakocevic. He is borderline top 150, at least. Between he and Pemsl we've added two guys that can play in McCaffery's system and succeed.

I think we want Cook with all the want a program could have. It is similar to the recruiting of Ed Morrow who had ties to Nebraska. But in this case we have a stronger argument that Cook will win games in the Big Ten, as opposed to languishing at the bottom of the SEC. Most everything I've read gives the nod to Missouri, but we're still in this thing.

Regarding Moore, (and remember this is just my opinion), it is similar to Tyler Ulis in that we were in early and impressed. But his stock has risen and it is possible some bigger names are entering the recruiting picture. Plus, Illinois is home for him.

In each case, Cook and Moore, I'm guessing we have slightly less than a 50/50 chance. Cook to Missouri, Moore to Illinois? Most likely.

Would that be some kind of tragedy? No. We move forward, likely with a Bohannon and unnamed big to add to Pemsl and Kriener. A year from now we would be looking at a potent team that likely scratches between an NCAA bid and something better still in the Big Ten. With the likes of the McCafferys and Weiskamp already in the future.

That's not a bad downside.

Kriener wasn't the plan B for the spot offered to Cook. Cook still has a committable offer. Dylan Painter doesn't. It wouldn't surprise me if Reid Nikko doesn't either now.
Without Cook/Rak, Moore/Simpson, it wouldn't terribly surprise me if we stood pat for 2016 and swung for the fences in 2017, when we can boast a top 100 guy for each year of 2017, '18, and '19 already on board for them to play with. By that time, I also expect a few underclassmen to have established reputations as well.

Yes we get it, extenuating circumstances only count for isu.

What? I thought I just used 3 examples, one ISU, one UNI, and one Iowa. In these cases, recruits had made commitments in two of the three. Collision had not, but the lame duck coach, Tom Davis, at Iowa took them out of the running when they may well have had a very good chance. I was actually trying not to make a partisan comment.

I'm not sure how "in the picture" Xavier was for Xavier Simpson (I know they made his top 6- I think it was-along with us) but they signed a 4-star 2016 PG today, so that's good news for Iowa

I'm not sure how "in the picture" Xavier was for Xavier Simpson (I know they made his top 6- I think it was-along with us) but they signed a 4-star 2016 PG today, so that's good news for Iowa

Very "in the picture", many people thought he was all but committed to Xavier. It will be interesting to see where his recruitment goes from here.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Cook & Moore do follow each other on twitter and I have seen pictures of them together at tournaments and such this summer FWIW.

Very "in the picture", many people thought he was all but committed to Xavier. It will be interesting to see where his recruitment goes from here.

Cyclones seem to think he might be headed there. I know he's visiting there within a couple weeks, maybe this weekend.

Cook & Moore do follow each other on twitter and I have seen pictures of them together at tournaments and such this summer FWIW.

Two players who together, could help swing a team from a mid-seed NCAA tournament team, top a Top 4 seed for the 4 years following their signings. Are there a pair of players in the country who could say that??

247 gives isu the lead for Simpsons services, take that for what it's worth, which isn't really that much

Yet no Iowa school could land Kirk Hinrich, Nick Collison, Harrison Barnes, Doug McDermott, or Marcus Paige. I guess it only works for states not named Iowa.

Strange how those worked but all but one of them came around when both ISU and Iowa were changing coaches.

Had Davis not been cut lose Collison would have gone to Iowa. Had Floyd not left Hinrich was going to ISU.

Saying no Iowa school could "land" McDermott is obviously silly because of his dad and not even being offered, and Barnes was right in the middle of that coaching change too.

Paige is the only one who was actually able to be recruited by a coach not in year zero and Fran was in year two of turning around a program that had become one of the worst in the country.

Fran has basically locked the state down since then (and even stole one back from Wisconsin) and UNI takes the leftovers.

Reactions: LaoHawk
It's not the technology.... My parents generation had drank Schiltz, Hamms, Pabst Blue Ribbon, (did anyone ever take a magnifying glass to the label to see what year that blue ribbon was from? A loooooong time ago.) Budweiser, (As long as there are Clydesdales there will always be Budweiser) Miller, and yes a thing called Blatz. In 1959 Blatz was sold to Pabst. ..... Blame it on Microbrews and the MacroNetworks, these days nothing comes as cheap, or easy.
" I'm from Milwaukee and I ought to know, it's Draft brewed Blatz Beer, wherever you go; smoother and fresher, less filling that's clear, Blatz is Milwaukee's finest beer. Kegs, cans or bottles, the taste is then same."
At least my dad thought so.:)

Reactions: BDinIC and DanL53
I would believe that the Krieger commit would be a positive for Cook. With Krieger in the fold, Cook could play the 4 which is probably his true position.

With the wings 2's and 3's committed, PG is he key. Moore is a critical piece.

Don't forget Kyle Korver leaving the state. I don't think he was offered by any of the Big 4 in the state. Dana Altman saw something the other guys didn't, gotta give him credit.

247 has Iowa at 100% for Moore, wonder how accurate that is. Hope they are right, we really need this kid!

Would love to see a really quick PG in Fran's fast break offense.

247 has Iowa at 100% for Moore, wonder how accurate that is. Hope they are right, we really need this kid!

Would love to see a really quick PG in Fran's fast break offense.
Wow. Be still my heart.

Wow. Be still my heart.
I just looked it up as well and I think one guess was April 21 and the other May 9. Both were guessing Iowa, but I don't give too much weight to these prognostications.

Last edited:
I just looked it up as well and I think one guess was April 21 and the other May 9. Both were guessing Iowa, but I don't give too much weight to these prognostications.
You always do have to take 247 predictions with a big grain of salt. Often, they're just guessing like we might here.

4 * PF Mamadi Diakite just committed to Virginia. Could help our chances with Cook.

Who is this sam guy, sounds like he thinks we are right in this thing. Come on tyler join the hawks and part of the BIG, I mean really, the BIG or sec in basketball, that folks is no comparison.

Have either cook or Moore stated when they plan on making a decision. And with Moore I know Iowa and Illinois but is there another school in the mix that has a realistic shot or any blue bloods showing interest?

Who is this sam guy, sounds like he thinks we are right in this thing. Come on tyler join the hawks and part of the BIG, I mean really, the BIG or sec in basketball, that folks is no comparison.

He runs a Mizzou site.

Don't know which other thread to put this on, but wonder if Fran will reach out to TJ Leaf. We recruited him for awhile and he decommitted from Arizona tonight. Major longshot, but who knows.

Don't know which other thread to put this on, but wonder if Fran will reach out to TJ Leaf. We recruited him for awhile and he decommitted from Arizona tonight. Major longshot, but who knows.

First I would wonder why Leaf decomitted from Arizona

He realized the basketball program sucked and has luke-warm fan support.
Arizona sucks????? Luke warm support hmmmm?? Bullcrap. I live in Tucson, and have for 23 years. Guess you would know better binsfeldcyhawk2 . But really, you have no idea at all. He will go to UCLA or maybe Indiana. If you think Arizona sucks and has luke warm fan support, you are trolling or just uninformed.

UCLA, wow I still don't think that ship is going to reach it's destination.

titanic_sinking___gif_by_rms_olympic-d8pv78m.gif

Reactions: icu81222
ADVERTISEMENT