ADVERTISEMENT

Uh, gee, uh, thanks, Iowa.

Is anyone really surprised that farmers don’t care about the environment?

From my experience a healthy chunk of Iowa farmers, if not the vast majority, really do care quite a lot about the environment and honestly do see themselves as stewards of the land.

That doesn't mean that their practices reflect there opinion of themselves, but I do believe farmers generally care about their impact on the environment.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Guys, the solution is marshland filters before the runoff gets to the river. It's not hard.
Trouble is most of Iowa has a lot of clay, not all the black dirt/sandy loam that we have here on the river bottom. All the hilly fields are contoured and retained. Larger grassy buffers would help but everyone cries, SUBSIDIES!, when land is taken out of production for conservation...

Guys, the solution is marshland filters before the runoff gets to the river. It's not hard.

Approximately 25% of Iowa’s land area was once in some form of a wetland ecosystem, a number that today has been reduced by upwards of 95%.

Approximately 25% of Iowa’s land area was once in some form of a wetland ecosystem, a number that today has been reduced by upwards of 95%.

Well that's too bad.

In Florida, you can grow cash crops in marshland (think sugar cane, rice, etc.).

• Haha
Reactions: globalhawk
Do you understand how it is grown? In flooded fields. JFC. You should take the rest of the day off.

So, you build a forty-feet wide wetland between your hog pens and the river.

It's NOT that hard.

If Iowa farmers were able "reclaim" 95 percent of the native wetlands, they can certainly "unclaim" them.

From my experience a healthy chunk of Iowa farmers, if not the vast majority, really do care quite a lot about the environment and honestly do see themselves as stewards of the land.

That doesn't mean that their practices reflect there opinion of themselves, but I do believe farmers generally care about their impact on their environment.
fify

Reactions: Lindemann
Does Louisiana worry about what their oil and chemical industry does to the rest of the country? They don't even worry about what happens in their own state. Has @JRHawk2003 considered moving to Louisiana after his last honor student graduates?

It's NOT that hard.

If Iowa farmers were able "reclaim" 95 percent of the native wetlands, they can certainly "unclaim" them.
We are talking about rice. Stop it. Keep your focus.

That doesn't mean that their practices reflect there opinion of themselves, but I do believe farmers generally care about their impact on the environment.
Is that why so many remove waterways and plant row crops beyond fencelines and even into a portion of the ditches?

Yeah, I don't believe you.

Reactions: Lindemann

It's NOT that hard.

Ummm, the " hog pens " have basements, which fill with manure, which is then pumped out and knifed into the soil before planting. Some runs off anyway. Collateral damage, if you will...

Ummm, the " hog pens " have basements, which fill with manure, which is then pumped out and knifed into the soil before planting. Some runs off anyway. Collateral damage, if you will...

So the wetland is there to capture the run off. The plants in the wetland absorb the excess nutrients before cleaner water reaches the river.

It's science.

• Haha
Reactions: globalhawk
[inward.="jamesvanderwulf, post: 11237995, member: 44366"]
Have you ever tried to pull a 24 row planter through a ditch? I didn't think so...
[/QUOTE]
You know damn well that the first pass on a field planting task is you start by the road and work inward.
So that first trip down the field only has to be 4-6' into the ditch.

I was born and raised on a farm. I know how shit works.

Spew your bullshit someplace else. Or, I can continue to embarrass you.
Your call?

I understand science. I went to private school. This would be like retro fitting every building and home in Florida with hurricane proof walls. It would actually be easier...

How hard is it to create a drainage ditch along the waterway adjacent to your farm and plant some water-loving, heavy-feeding plants in there? Only when there's heavy rain will there be spillover into the river, and it'll be cleaner.

[inward.="jamesvanderwulf, post: 11237995, member: 44366"]
Have you ever tried to pull a 24 row planter through a ditch? I didn't think so...
You know damn well that the first pass on a field planting task is you start by the road and work inward.

I was born and raised on a farm. I know how shit works.

Spew your bullshit someplace else. Or, I can continue to embarrass you.
Your call?
[/QUOTE]
You're only embarrassing yourself.

So you farmed the road ditches where you come from? Do you have waterways that run straight, parallel to the roads? This is why you're FOS. Areas that are prone to run off are left grassy, you bail the grassy areas.

images

Is that why so many remove waterways and plant row crops beyond fencelines and even into a portion of the ditches?

Yeah, I don't believe you.
I didn't say all, and at the scale of farming in Iowa a healthy mix of people that don't care mixed with those that might be ignorant is more than enough to do serious damage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT