ADVERTISEMENT

UNC Recruiting

Wouldn’t it be great if we could get UNC on the schedule, or any ACC school for that matter? Preferably UNC.

Chief - I do not. Did a quick google and there is someone with that name who practices in Chicago and went to Iowa undergrad and Michigan law school.

Chief - I do not. Did a quick google and there is someone with that name who practices in Chicago and went to Iowa undergrad and Michigan law school.

That is his bro...my bud practices down in Tampa. Was there 96-99.

There are way worse college towns than Chapel Hill. And a very good school. Kind of just a step below Stanford in terms of an awesome college town and education. I have been there for depositions a few times and always extend my trip. It’s a warmer Iowa City or Ann Arbor. I told my son he can go anywhere except ISU and Notre Dame and said we should take a trip to Chapel Hill as we are already hitting Duke.
Step below Stanford in academics, definitely. Palo Alto vs chapel hill as far as college towns? No comparison. PA is horrible.

Reactions: armbartilt
Chief - don’t know him. He would have been a first year my last or my first year out. Western - I have only been to PA a few times. Maybe just saw the “good side” of town because their campus and the surrounding area is pretty nice. Trust me, love CH. As I said, a warmer Ann Arbor or Iowa City. Great college town.

Western - I agree except tough to compare. They definitely don’t have have the “feel” of other college towns that Iowa City, Ann Arbor, CH, Madison, Boulder, etc. have. But they focus on a different group of students. Scenery wise Pepperdine is the best I have ever seen. Stanford (I know you don’t like PA) is an awesome campus. USC and UCLA are great if you like that. Go north. By conference I will just say in no order:

Big 10: Iowa City, Ann Arbor, Madison, Bloomington and Evanston.

Big 12: Austin, Lawrence

Sec: Oxford; Vandy (not a lot of experience at the rest)

PAC: PA, LA schools, ASU (co-eds), Washington

ACC: NC, Duke.

Awe from history: West Point; Harvard; Yale and Princeton. I guess ND but don’t like them but near campus.

From East Coast: Ithaca, Providence; NYU.

This is off the top of my head so sure I missed a bunch. And these are only ones I have seen I have been to many more but my thoughts.

Anywhere in California is the last place on Earth I'd want to be.

Yeah. The state with the fifth largest economy IN THE WORLD is a bad place to be.

Trust me, we count on closed minded folks staying away. Lol

My great-grandfather was the student body president of Yale law school after graduating from Iowa at twenty as an architect. He became the best defense attorney in Iowa and narrowly. lost the governor’s race twice in his late thirties as an Irish catholic democrat before he died in his forties. Never stood a chance with being, Irish, catholic and a dem back then. I just wanted to play the lawyer game too. The University of Iowa library has all his writings and speeches to this day. He had two banker congressmen brothers too. He’d smoke anyone in debates. they’re still in The NY Times?. The pride of Shell Rock, Iowa and his dad came from Ireland and settled Shell Rock because he didn’t like Waverly politics and made it an industrial hub of northeast Iowa as a carriage builder, merchant and many other endeavors. Independence, Iowa was the only industrial competition even close strangely enough. Now you know where I get my intelligence. CSB.

Reactions: Twoooooooo
Bay area in CA is beautiful, and has wonderful weather.
Housing prices are sky high though.... a school teacher can't even afford to rent a decent 2 BR apartment.

Reactions: el dub
Western - I agree except tough to compare. They definitely don’t have have the “feel” of other college towns that Iowa City, Ann Arbor, CH, Madison, Boulder, etc. have. But they focus on a different group of students. Scenery wise Pepperdine is the best I have ever seen. Stanford (I know you don’t like PA) is an awesome campus. USC and UCLA are great if you like that. Go north. By conference I will just say in no order:

Awe from history: West Point; Harvard; Yale and Princeton. I guess ND but don’t like them but near campus.

This is off the top of my head so sure I missed a bunch. And these are only ones I have seen I have been to many more but my thoughts.
Nice list. From the ones I've been to (about half your list), I'd have to agree, except that I'd remove Yale and Evanston, but add Brown and Eugene.

Big 12- Manhattan, hands down.

Reactions: wad57
Yeah. The state with the fifth largest economy IN THE WORLD is a bad place to be.

Trust me, we count on closed minded folks staying away. Lol
They have a ton of people, I guess that's a good thing.... some of them are even U.S. Citizens. The majority seem to be bat shit crazy, so good place to store them, on a coast.

When that state falls into the ocean like most of the rest of the country hopes it will, I'll still be alive and well in the Midwest and happily so.

Yeah if you’re a billionaire or uber liberal. Have you been to Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh, ATL, Birmingham, Greenville (most underrated city in the US), or Tampa? You sound uneducated on how great the quality of life is in those cities
Liking the Bay Area is not uneducated, but maybe out of the financial range of many people. Unfortunately, not so much Iowa-level wrestling in the Bay Area or those Southern cities.

Reactions: SASHmoney
They have a ton of people, I guess that's a good thing.... some of them are even U.S. Citizens. The majority seem to be bat shit crazy, so good place to store them, on a coast.

When that state falls into the ocean like most of the rest of the country hopes it will, I'll still be alive and well in the Midwest and happily so.

:rolleyes:

Love Cali. Been there many times — north, south and in between. Big Sur is wonderful, as are Coronado, Carmel, and Point Reyes. The forest fires have changed things, though.

Reactions: SASHmoney
Plenty of reasons to not have a great desire to live in California that have nothing to do with closed mindedness.

Housing prices?

Cost of living?

Forest fires?

The whole LA entertainment scene (ie everyone pursuing the celebrity, "social media influencer life", lack of humility or genuinity)?

The whole "fly over state" attitude?

State being in massive debt?

Traffic?

Pollution?

Yeah if you’re a billionaire or uber liberal. Have you been to Charlotte, Nashville, Raleigh, ATL, Birmingham, Greenville (most underrated city in the US), or Tampa? You sound uneducated on how great the quality of life is in those cities

Yes, I have. I’ve actually been to all of the cities you mention. (Haven’t really spent time in Raleigh.)

I love LA, but downtown sucks more than any city I’ve ever been to. In NYC they work 18 hour days to live, in LA they look for gimmicks and fast money and they’re lazy as hell. I prefer LA for the lifestyle, but as a city NYC you can’t be beat it. I’ll choose Charleston, South Carolina over them both. Dew point is a bitch though,

I love LA, but downtown sucks more than any city I’ve ever been to. In NYC they work 18 hour days to live, in LA they look for gimmicks and fast money and they’re lazy as hell. I prefer LA for the lifestyle, but as a city NYC you can’t be beat it. I’ll choose Charleston, South Carolina over them both. Dew point is a bitch though,

I prefer living in rural NoCal or Oregon and visiting the Bay Area when I get the urge.

Nice assessment. I agree it is tough to compare and I think some people conflate college town with the actual campus proper.

Let's take UCSB for example. Santa Barbara/Goleta/Montecito/Carpinteria is one of the nicest areas I've ever visited, but SB is not a college town in the true sense of the word.

Ithaca is a very good example. State College is a good example. Charlottesville used to be a good example. Lexington, VA is a good example.

Pepperdine is amazing, but again, Malibu is not my idea of a college town.

I guess it is difficult to define, but I know one when I see one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT