ADVERTISEMENT

UNC Recruiting

Western totally spot on. I agree 100 percent. Is Pepperdine a sick campus? Yep. College town/environment? Not even close. I may be biased but the Big 10/Midwest is tough to beat for “college” towns. I would put Iowa City, Ann Arbor, Bloomington and Evanston up against other college towns and take my chances. Although PSU (only been there twice) is really good. My boy is looking at schools and I will say Cornell in Ithaca is tough to beat out east as is Brown. I prefer he stays closer selfishly or go further south so I can golf when I see him! Hence Duke and CH on the visit itinerary. I always liked UVA but seems it has changed some. But super nice campus and great school.

Tiger - I got semi-lost one time going from Carlsbad to SD. Well actually just had to piss and checked out that campus. Insanely beautiful. Like Pepperdine. Different scenery and culture but spectacular views. And the ocean view is nice too although barely saw it with the bikini clad coeds parading around campus on a random Wednesday.

If you really want beautiful scenery, there is no place like Tempe. Well besides Scottsdale but that’s only because it’s full of co-eds and recent alums.

Reactions: Spoons
Nice assessment. I agree it is tough to compare and I think some people conflate college town with the actual campus proper.

Let's take UCSB for example. Santa Barbara/Goleta/Montecito/Carpinteria is one of the nicest areas I've ever visited, but SB is not a college town in the true sense of the word.

Ithaca is a very good example. State College is a good example. Charlottesville used to be a good example. Lexington, VA is a good example.

Pepperdine is amazing, but again, Malibu is not my idea of a college town.

I guess it is difficult to define, but I know one when I see one.

Actually I think the post you quoted did that a bit in terms of the ACC. Chapel Hill = college town. Durham (Duke) = not a college town. In the ACC (for wrestling), I’d say the only other “college towns” are UVA and VT.

One of the previous posters was correct that there does seem to be more “college towns” in the B10: Iowa, PSU, Michigan, Wisconsin are some that stand out but I know there are others.

University of San Diego and live in Pacific Beach.

End. Of. Discussion.

I'm with ya man. I don't like SF or LA but SD is my favorite US city to visit. I could live there. The weather is a perfect all year. Basically groundhogs day. Id miss the fall here but Id rather be able to golf year round.

Last edited:
I'm with ya man. I don't like SF or LA but SD is my favorite US city to visit. I could live there. The weather is a perfect all year. Basically groundhogs day. Id miss the fall here but Id rather be able to golf year round.
I could live on JayVee's California burritos and Oscar's fish tacos and be a happy man for many years.

LA is the armpit of the earth, love to eat my way through SanFrancisco, but San Diego is just chill and the weather is insane and Little Italy is awesome and ya, it's my favorite place in the US to visit by far

San Diego is the best. GF and I are heading to Hotel Del Coronado in Feb for 4 days. I speak at a seminar 1 day so it is a “business trip.” I agree on LA not a fan at all. But SD and SF make up for it in Cali.

Reactions: IAChief32
San Diego is the best. GF and I are heading to Hotel Del Coronado in Feb for 4 days. I speak at a seminar 1 day so it is a “business trip.” I agree on LA not a fan at all. But SD and SF make up for it in Cali.

There is a Hawkeye game watch bar a few blocks walking distance from that hotel. Cool Island.

I’m not a big SoCal fan. Nice place to visit, but I’m more of a NoCal type person.

Love San Diego...It would almost be worth it to put up with the state's B.S. to live there. Almost.
Too each his own right? I had a relative (who has since passed away R.I.P. - good guy) that had a house on Laguna Beach I believe it was. He let them use his property for a week long TV shoot for CSI (the one with L.L. Cool J I think??). Don't watch the show personally.

Anyway, he had a guest house also, one I could have used for around 30 years or so I believe (not sure how long he lived there), for free. Instead I went to Arizona, Texas and Florida and paid. Why? Because California.

Been in L.A. twice, in the Airport on the way too, and back from Hawaii. That's enough for me. It's called the Land of Fruits and Nuts for a reason, and I didn't come up with it so.........

Reactions: WesternPA
Yeah. The state with the fifth largest economy IN THE WORLD is a bad place to be.

Trust me, we count on closed minded folks staying away. Lol

China has the second largest economy in the world....does that mean it is a good place to live? ;)

Is a homogeneous "group think" society is best? Hey..... maybe you would like China! ;) You confuse "closed minded" with "different values"....
My friends don't love wrestling like I do... are they closed minded? (I apologize to the cesspool for having friends that don't like wrestling... I am trying to educate them) :D. To me, football fans are annoying and I hate waiting through the end of some useless basketball game only to miss the light weights but I accept that however undesirable, we need diversity and tbh their $ :p

I prefer living in rural NoCal or Oregon and visiting the Bay Area when I get the urge.
Like when you have the urge for homeless, scattered fecal matter and used needles? The Bay area used to great and I liked it decades ago (lived on a house boat in Marina district) but is now reminiscent of a public restroom in the hood. Friends and family have fled the city. We no longer schedule professional meetings there for the same reason. Sad really.

I will say that having lived many places and been to many more (airline pilot friends) I never really liked a place a lot until after I had lived there for a year or two.

We did our water survival right there in Coronado Bay at the Naval Warfare Center. Couldn’t believe I was getting paid to do my job on those weekends.

Anywhere in California is the last place on Earth I'd want to be.

Well, you might want to check out my current stomping grounds before saying the above. I can almost promise there are places in California you would rather be than Eugene. LOL

Chief - that is way above my pay grade. Irrational fear of sharks. However, if I am gonna go I agree that area is crazy scenic on multiple levels. It was like you were frickin’ stealing to do training there. Except the training part!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT