ADVERTISEMENT

UNI Open

fleming24

Team MVP
May 17, 2006
For those of you wondering what Larry Early (Minnesota) looked like at the UNI open today. Simply put--Not very impressive. Lost to Renaldo Rodriguez-Spencer of Iowa State in the semifinals (2-1) and then defaulted out to sixth place. He was nursing a heavily wrapped right shoulder harness, and really struggled with his offensive attacks. Obviously he carries some rather worthy credentials, but his health may deter his success at the next level. And no Freddy Stroker today as well. The Iowa-Minnesota dual late in the year WILL BE UGLY. Go Hawks!

Bobby Steveson also lost in the finals. Didn't see any Hawks there? I know it is finals week so I'm sure that affected turn out, pretty light tournament compared to years past. Alber got stuck in the finals by a true freshmen from Mizzou. Not much comp as most champs dominated the field.

Pbs did he re injur his shoulder or is it the same injury he was dealing with last season?

It's my understanding that it's the same injury that troubled during high school. And shoulder injuries are not good--regardless of the level of competition. By the way, Robert Steveson has taken a step back IMO.

It's my understanding that it's the same injury that troubled during high school. And shoulder injuries are not good--regardless of the level of competition. By the way, Robert Steveson has taken a step back IMO.
Hey... it's Minnesota!

I would assume Albers was winning at the time and got caught. I'll hang up and listen.

Sorry to here about your son Slim and good luck going forward.

I would assume Albers was winning at the time and got caught. I'll hang up and listen.

No. The Mizzou kid is tough. It was a close match though.

BTW, Iowa wrestlers are not allowed to compete this weekend due to finals.

It should also be noted that Rodriguez-Spencer went on to win the tournament.

Clayton is really tough he already beat the starter for mizzou and he seriously put it on Kaid Brock at a dual during NCAA's last season I wish brock would've went to the Lindenwood open for the chance to see them wrestle again

Yes, it has become clear that Early should hang it up after losing a 1 point match in the first half of his freshman season.
I think his comment was made in referencing that he lost a 1 point decision to the 3rd string kid from ISU. No one implied he should "hang it up". As was stated... if injuries are limiting him, it would surely explain a subpar performance.

Reactions: CP84
I think his comment was made in referencing that he lost a 1 point decision to the 3rd string kid from ISU. No one implied he should "hang it up". As was stated... if injuries are limiting him, it would surely explain a subpar performance.
*2nd string and still competing for the spot * :)

Clayton is really tough he already beat the starter for mizzou and he seriously put it on Kaid Brock at a dual during NCAA's last season I wish brock would've went to the Lindenwood open for the chance to see them wrestle again

Kaid Brock's a true freshman, so I don't know what you're referrring to.

Alright lets do this 1 time. Not gonna talk about the result of the match but the kid was not nursing anything. He has been wearing a brace for a year. Recovered from the injury but the brace has become part of his uniform (think retired Detroit Piston Rip Hamilton). He used to do the same thing with tape on his wrists. Just something he does, I don't question it. He did not reinjure the shoulder. He got his bell rung in the 1st period of the match. I was matside and thought about defaulting while the trainers stopped his nose bleed but he wanted to continue. Family traveling to see him, he had only competed in 1 open leading up to this and RRS's win over him in a greco match were probably all factors in wanting to finish the match. I talked to him after the match and decided to have him call it a day.
Not the 1st time a kid has defaulted out of an open.

Steveson lost an OT match to a kid he had beaten each of the previous 2 weeks. It was his 1st collegiate loss.

If there was a horrible week to use to come to conclusions about a kid's future success, this would be it. It is finals week and near Christmas break. A lot of the younger kids are in a funky place mentally and some of the older ones have injuries and who knows what on their mind.
I would not read anything into the results for today other than it makes for interesting conversation.

Alright lets do this 1 time. Not gonna talk about the result of the match but the kid was not nursing anything. He has been wearing a brace for a year. Recovered from the injury but the brace has become part of his uniform (think retired Detroit Piston Rip Hamilton). He used to do the same thing with tape on his wrists. Just something he does, I don't question it. He did not reinjure the shoulder. He got his bell rung in the 1st period of the match. I was matside and thought about defaulting while the trainers stopped his nose bleed but he wanted to continue. Family traveling to see him, he had only competed in 1 open leading up to this and RRS's win over him in a greco match were probably all factors in wanting to finish the match. I talked to him after the match and decided to have him call it a day.

Steveson lost an OT match to a kid he had beaten each of the previous 2 weeks. It was his 1st collegiate loss.

I am really looking forward to watching your boy in the following years. I always like to follow any of Powell's wrestlers.
Thanks for clearing the air and setting everything straight. It is nice not to have to sift thru what is truth and what is rumors.

Steveson is also descending to 184, weighing in at 190. Writing off anyone during a true freshman season is silly.

Reactions: andegre
If there was a horrible week to use to come to conclusions about a kid's future success, this would be it. It is finals week and near Christmas break. A lot of the younger kids are in a funky place mentally and some of the older ones have injuries and who knows what on their mind.
I would not read anything into the results for today other than it makes for interesting conversation.
I wouldn't read anything into 1 loss for anybody, regardless of time of year or class level. Unless it's Cael or Imart I suppose....................;)

Uh, no. But I know you'll work to get under his skin.
You really think he won't get upset reading this forum when we have such an intense rivalry with Minnesota? Hell... on the same day his son wrestled in CF, he felt the need to respond on HR to opinions about his son.
I'm just saying that parents posting on forums is a really bad idea. He's pretty mellow now, but if a guy like Alex M. eventually wrestles his son and, from many opinions, does well at Iowa against Jr., Papa isn't going to take it well, imo.
BTW: I'm not sure I like what you're insinuating about some of my posting habits with opposing fans/parents(where's that darn smiley face emoji)

It was an All-Star dual right before the NCAA's last season that I think he's referring to. Clayton beat Brock as MO took on the Bordering States All-Stars.
http://www.flowrestling.org/coverag...67-Missouri-Border-Brawl-Results#.Vm3R0korLIU

Clayton roughed up Brock in that match. FLO guys downplayed the win because Clayton wrestled 145 his senior year in HS (wanted to win state at four different weights) and looked "bigger". Didn't rank Clayton at 132 even though he wrestled there at most of the national tourneys. That may be their policy, but it sure seemed weird to be ranked amongst guys he never actually wrestled. Not surprising to Mizzou fans, Clayton is at 133 this year.....

PapaBearSLIM is a good man and Jr will be fine. Glad to hear the shoulder is good and the brace is just a part of his uniform now.

Reactions: Huck and TarpHawk
You really think he won't get upset reading this forum when we have such an intense rivalry with Minnesota? Hell... on the same day his son wrestled in CF, he felt the need to respond on HR to opinions about his son.
I'm just saying that parents posting on forums is a really bad idea. He's pretty mellow now, but if a guy like Alex M. eventually wrestles his son and, from many opinions, does well at Iowa against Jr., Papa isn't going to take it well, imo.
BTW: I'm not sure I like what you're insinuating about some of my posting habits with opposing fans/parents(where's that darn smiley face emoji)

Seem to me he was clarifying the shoulder thing. LE is the antithesis to the guy from ISU who you already admitted to trolling pretty hard ;)
He's a big boy and can speak for himself but I like the info he brings to the table and the manner in which he does it. I suspect others do as well.

Seem to me he was clarifying the shoulder thing. LE is the antithesis to the guy from ISU who you already admitted to trolling pretty hard ;)
He's a big boy and can speak for himself but I like the info he brings to the table and the manner in which he does it. I suspect others do as well.
That's the one I was looking for! Wish I was as smart as KWood.
Admittedly, I was a little hard on RRF, but he was too easy to manipulate. I still stand by my opinion that parents should not post.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT