ADVERTISEMENT

UNI vs ISU, great show, embarrassed for TB and IU

The state of Iowa had a premier event last night in the west gym, ISU came to Cedar Falls on a roll and UNI won a hard fought 22-13 dual meet win over the cyclones. There is no doubt ISU is going to continue to get better, as is UNI. So it is bad enough that Iowa did not dual PSU, Michigan, and OSU this season within the Big 10 (Big 10 makes the schedule I assume) but they threw powerhouse teams like CSU Bakersfield, Kent State, and Lehigh on the schedule. I was reading the thread on this site and UNI/ISU meet, coach Schwab and TB are not close to the same people or coaches, so stop the comparison's, UNI supports a code of conduct on and off the mat that is different than TB and IU. UNI has tried to get Iowa on the schedule all of coach schwab's years at UNI (9 years), despite the fact that UNI would have had very little chance to win any of those duals and a couple of years could have been shut out completely. Iowa High School wrestling is at a all time high, college wrestling in Iowa in great shape with Wartburg and GV winning titles, UNI and ISU improving, yet Iowa has not won a NCAA title since 2010, Jimmy Z won as many NCAA team titles as TB and they ran him out of town. PSU and OSU have taken over the Big 10 and NCAA, Iowa is NOT winning NCAA titles anymore, and they refuse to wrestle UNI, I cannot wait to hear all of the excuses.
Folks----Sometimes in life, you just can't fix STUPID. This prior post signifies just that---STUPIDITY. My only thought to all of this is wrestle in something other than a cracker jack box facility and you just might garner some interest.

Reactions: el dub
If it isn't an option why was the last Iowa/UNI dual in CF in the West Gym? At one point in time, UNI was insistent at wrestling the dual there but that may have changed.

I assume you mean Mark Schwab.

Briggs lost his job first and foremost because he wasn't an effective wrestling coach anymore.

Briggs wouldn't have been done of it weren't for the Schwab backstab. He had the support of boosters despite his recent record at the time. He treated people right. You're right in that he wasn't tearing it up but by any stretch, but he wasnt going anywhere.
It took Manning about 3 months. In that time all the people that loved Briggs hated Manning and he hated them.

Briggs wouldn't have been done of it weren't for the Schwab backstab. He had the support of boosters despite his recent record at the time. He treated people right. You're right in that he wasn't tearing it up but by any stretch, but he wasnt going anywhere.
It took Manning about 3 months. In that time all the people that loved Briggs hated Manning and he hated them.

Well thank goodness it happened. The program was dead in the water. Manning was a prick but he breathed life into that program. If that change hadn't happened it might have been wrestling on the chopping block instead of baseball.

Well thank goodness it happened. The program was dead in the water. Manning was a prick but he breathed life into that program. If that change hadn't happened it might have been wrestling on the chopping block instead of baseball.
Not arguing that by the end of the Briggs era he was ineffective, I'm saying that the pos Manning took them lower because Briggs at least still had the support of a lot of boosters and Manning's arrogance ran them off.

Thanks for the breakdown. Any chance you can include names next to the rankings? Or just send the link of wherever you're viewing this.

Here ya go Vodka (these are FLO's rankings):

Iowa HS nationally ranked guys:
106 none
113 #19 Ayala
120 #14 Cullen Schriever
126 #15 Rathjen
132 #19 Happel
138 none
145 none
152 #9 Runyon
160 #11 Devos, 19 Heinrich
170 none
180 none
195 #9, 16 Broderson, Christenson
220 none
Hwt #8 Trenary

Amen. Little brother syndrome at its finest. Comes from the fans, coaches, and wrestlers. I’m not sure if kicking their teeth in would be any better than seeing how butthurt they are over Iowa not bothering.

This is consistent across their sports fan bases.

The new
Somebody woke up still drunk with a case of the ass
tenor.gif
Hey Chief! What’s my dog doing in your house?

Reactions: el dub
Other than not having PSU and Ohio St on the schedule, I'm glad Iowa is scheduling teams we haven't seen. From a coaching standpoint you need to see these teams before NCAA tournament to get film, scouting reports. This has been going on since Gable era.
Apply the same standards to every other team, why haven't they scheduled Cornell (big red) Okie st, NC State, ect.
Everyone wants Iowa because we draw large crowds, we dont have to move our events to a tiny arena so we can boast about sellout crowds.

They wrestled Cornell this year and Okie St last year. C’mon you can’t possibly prefer we wrestled Kent State over UNI.

Reactions: depelland
The state of Iowa had a premier event last night in the west gym, ISU came to Cedar Falls on a roll and UNI won a hard fought 22-13 dual meet win over the cyclones. There is no doubt ISU is going to continue to get better, as is UNI. So it is bad enough that Iowa did not dual PSU, Michigan, and OSU this season within the Big 10 (Big 10 makes the schedule I assume) but they threw powerhouse teams like CSU Bakersfield, Kent State, and Lehigh on the schedule. I was reading the thread on this site and UNI/ISU meet, coach Schwab and TB are not close to the same people or coaches, so stop the comparison's, UNI supports a code of conduct on and off the mat that is different than TB and IU. UNI has tried to get Iowa on the schedule all of coach schwab's years at UNI (9 years), despite the fact that UNI would have had very little chance to win any of those duals and a couple of years could have been shut out completely. Iowa High School wrestling is at a all time high, college wrestling in Iowa in great shape with Wartburg and GV winning titles, UNI and ISU improving, yet Iowa has not won a NCAA title since 2010, Jimmy Z won as many NCAA team titles as TB and they ran him out of town. PSU and OSU have taken over the Big 10 and NCAA, Iowa is NOT winning NCAA titles anymore, and they refuse to wrestle UNI, I cannot wait to hear all of the excuses.

You’re you’re on the wrong board to talk Indiana University Wrestling (IU), so beat it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT