ADVERTISEMENT

UNI vs ISU, great show, embarrassed for TB and IU

No reason for UNI and Hawks to Not wrestle each other on an annual basis. Would have been a more entertaining meet then any of the teams that were on Iowa's home schedule this year.
Yeah maybe we should get them an early season arse beating....

I see Iowa high school improving right now but you're right and the other guy is drunk.

I root for UNI to do good things but Spencer Lee outscored 6 UNI wrestlers last year...and I'll throw in one Iowa State wrestler as well.

Iowa high school wrestling was significantly better a decade ago than the past few years.

McDonough, Long, DSJ, Soren, Clark, Dylan Peters. Numerous other high D1 AAs.

People are making the claim every year on here that Iowa HS wrestling is improving but I don't think the data supports that. Obviously we won't know how the current HS athletes turn out for a few years yet, but look back at Happels class. One of the best in the state his senior year, yet he is 3rd string at one of the University of Iowa's weakest weights as a 3rd year student. In my view Iowa wrestling has been down for a few years. Last significant impact at D1 level would be around the Sorensen, Clark years.

Chief, I'm not saying the state isn't showing some slight improvements, but when thinking of the good ole days of Iowa high school wrestling I am reminded of 2004 where some champs were, Slaton, Anson, Mueller, Borschel, Mason, Sebolt, Makey, Ettelson, Lecleire, M*, Beatty, Fields, along with many other tough guys that I feel would walk through now. Maybe I am wrong because I feel a sense of nostalgia about it, but as a state we were tough at that time. We also had talent pretty level in all 3 classes, and were pretty well represented from west to east.

I love Iowa wrestling and don't really like ripping on it, but how close to that level of talent do you think we are? I would say we have an awfully long way to go, and I'm not sure what the problem or solution is.

Strongly agree that Iowa HS wrestling was a lot better in the first decade of the century than current one.

The state of Iowa had a premier event last night in the west gym, ISU came to Cedar Falls on a roll and UNI won a hard fought 22-13 dual meet win over the cyclones. There is no doubt ISU is going to continue to get better, as is UNI. So it is bad enough that Iowa did not dual PSU, Michigan, and OSU this season within the Big 10 (Big 10 makes the schedule I assume) but they threw powerhouse teams like CSU Bakersfield, Kent State, and Lehigh on the schedule. I was reading the thread on this site and UNI/ISU meet, coach Schwab and TB are not close to the same people or coaches, so stop the comparison's, UNI supports a code of conduct on and off the mat that is different than TB and IU. UNI has tried to get Iowa on the schedule all of coach schwab's years at UNI (9 years), despite the fact that UNI would have had very little chance to win any of those duals and a couple of years could have been shut out completely. Iowa High School wrestling is at a all time high, college wrestling in Iowa in great shape with Wartburg and GV winning titles, UNI and ISU improving, yet Iowa has not won a NCAA title since 2010, Jimmy Z won as many NCAA team titles as TB and they ran him out of town. PSU and OSU have taken over the Big 10 and NCAA, Iowa is NOT winning NCAA titles anymore, and they refuse to wrestle UNI, I cannot wait to hear all of the excuses.

You should start breaking the capsules in half.

Iowa high school wrestling was significantly better a decade ago than the past few years.

McDonough, Long, DSJ, Soren, Clark, Dylan Peters. Numerous other high D1 AAs.

People are making the claim every year on here that Iowa HS wrestling is improving but I don't think the data supports that. Obviously we won't know how the current HS athletes turn out for a few years yet, but look back at Happels class. One of the best in the state his senior year, yet he is 3rd string at one of the University of Iowa's weakest weights as a 3rd year student. In my view Iowa wrestling has been down for a few years. Last significant impact at D1 level would be around the Sorensen, Clark years.
We certainly didnt see many Iowa preps AAing last year or probably this year and that's the real test here.

However the last 3 years or so you've seen a lot more underclassmen wrestling in the HS finals. For every Clark and McD, there is a Meeks and Marlin. You dont know how success in HS will translate to college but having a higher number if wrestlers having summer success only helps.

I feel more comfortable with the list of the top HS kids now than I did 5 years ago. It's not long enough to be a trend but it's a start.

Reactions: Neo_Hawk
We all want Iowa to wrestle the top Big10 teams like PSU/OSU/Mich each year, but Iowa does not control their Big10 schedule, so there's not much they can do about that. The non-Big10 schedule this year included:

Team 2018 NCAA Finish
OK St 13
Lehigh 15
Kent St 22
Princeton 26
CSUB 32
ISU 45

UNI finished 24th in 2018, so they wouldn't have done much to improve the strength of schedule unless you bumped out ISU which isn't likely to happen (I'm sure Dresser would be whining if that happened). I'd like to see Iowa wrestle both UNI and ISU each year, but it would need to be in a large enough arena to accommodate the huge UI fanbase.

Mike Schwab is an embarrassment to UNI wrestling and the Schwab family. I was at the dual last night and in line for the concession with him right before he decided to sneak up front and cut right in front of about 15 people. Nice role model!

I would love to wrestle UNI, but it's has to be in something bigger than West Gym, which is why the home and home thing does not work. You can't have an event 90 miles from CHA, where every Iowa fan could travel to and then have only 2100 seats, where are all the UNI fans supposed to sit? 2100 covers about 1/4 to 1/3 of the Iowa season ticket holders. Just doesn't work.

I would have preferred that last night's dual be held in McLeod instead of West Gym. But no school is obligated to make those accommodations in the interest of visitors/visiting fans. If they feel that their best advantage is to wrestle in a cracker box, then fine. If they're comfortable losing out on potential ticket revenue by using a smaller venue or by limiting seating, so be it.

That West Gym was a total shithole when I went to UNI in the 90’s & no one should ever brag about holding a wrestling meet there. Most Iowa High schools have more modern wrestling facilities.

Reactions: el dub
The state of Iowa had a premier event last night in the west gym, ISU came to Cedar Falls on a roll and UNI won a hard fought 22-13 dual meet win over the cyclones. There is no doubt ISU is going to continue to get better, as is UNI. So it is bad enough that Iowa did not dual PSU, Michigan, and OSU this season within the Big 10 (Big 10 makes the schedule I assume) but they threw powerhouse teams like CSU Bakersfield, Kent State, and Lehigh on the schedule. I was reading the thread on this site and UNI/ISU meet, coach Schwab and TB are not close to the same people or coaches, so stop the comparison's, UNI supports a code of conduct on and off the mat that is different than TB and IU. UNI has tried to get Iowa on the schedule all of coach schwab's years at UNI (9 years), despite the fact that UNI would have had very little chance to win any of those duals and a couple of years could have been shut out completely. Iowa High School wrestling is at a all time high, college wrestling in Iowa in great shape with Wartburg and GV winning titles, UNI and ISU improving, yet Iowa has not won a NCAA title since 2010, Jimmy Z won as many NCAA team titles as TB and they ran him out of town. PSU and OSU have taken over the Big 10 and NCAA, Iowa is NOT winning NCAA titles anymore, and they refuse to wrestle UNI, I cannot wait to hear all of the excuses.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul

Mike Schwab is an embarrassment to UNI wrestling and the Schwab family. I was at the dual last night and in line for the concession with him right before he decided to sneak up front and cut right in front of about 15 people. Nice role model!
Mike has always been that way. There's a VERY long story I could tell people about what happened a long time ago when Don Briggs was HC. And what resulted in him becoming an ex-HC.

But, I'm not.:D

Gee...........maybe we can get ESPN to show it...............
blinking_pikachu_by_larfor-d4l0cle.gif

I would have preferred that last night's dual be held in McLeod instead of West Gym. But no school is obligated to make those accommodations in the interest of visitors/visiting fans. If they feel that their best advantage is to wrestle in a cracker box, then fine. If they're comfortable losing out on potential ticket revenue by using a smaller venue or by limiting seating, so be it.
Agree with this. It's a shame too because an extra 2000 seats filled at $10 a pop, is a good chunk of change no matter what your budget. Granted there are probably extra cost associated with a larger arena, but I would think concessions would offset that a great deal.

Iowa has enjoyed a big fan base for a long time and I'm glad to see ISU, Wisco, Rutgers and others, really push to get butts in seats, it makes an impact on the bottom line Still don't know why psu (6500) and soon fosu with their new joint (4500), would focus on such small spaces as the sport seems to be growing. psu could sell 9000 tickets in an arena against the worst teams during a hurricane yet they choose to turn away 2500 potential ticket buyers for every home meet to wrestle in a smaller venue. I know their are some issues with BJC but work it out, you have fans that want to see your team.

The arena that hosts an event SHOULD give an advantage to the home team. I have no problem with that approach.

Why is this any different than when ISU erected their curtain years ago to limit Hawk fans presence?

Mike has always been that way. There's a VERY long story I could tell people about what happened a long time ago when Don Briggs was HC. And what resulted in him becoming an ex-HC.

Several people don’t think to highly of mike for his role in what happened. He’s also been an embarrassment prettty much anywhere he’s coached

Good Lord did that make you feel better.

No, you embarrass yourself with this thread. The bad schedule is old news and we've all talked about it. Iowa high school wrestling is not at an all-time high, but it may be improving. Jimmy Z is just surviving out in Corvallis. Div 3 and NAIA have little to do with Iowa's efforts, and I haven't seen any better code of conduct from Schwabby than I have from Tom Brands. I heard Schwab once call some of his wrestlers trash as in Take Out the Trash. Won't hear that from Brands. I like seeing ISU and UNI do better, but neither of them will contend with Penn State any time soon. So you can be an ignorant putz, or you can lose your prejudices and help the team prosper. Your choice.

Reactions: jurness

GiddyGreatArchaeocete-size_restricted.gif

To say there is no reason for them to not wrestle is just plain dumb. I would like to see them wrestle because I like UNI, but there are plenty of reasons for the duals to happen and also reasons they are not happening. UNI wants a home and home and Iowa doesn’t want to do that. Are they right in that decision? Well that’s anyone’s opinion not fact.

UNI has earned the right to a home and home. We’d beat them but Schwab has his guys ready to go and it’d be great for fans of both universities. Would love to see it in Carver and McLeod. Both would sell out and we’d get some interesting match ups.

UNI has earned the right to a home and home. We’d beat them but Schwab has his guys ready to go and it’d be great for fans of both universities. Would love to see it in Carver and McLeod. Both would sell out and we’d get some interesting match ups.

I was just about to post the exact same thoughts verbatim. I love McLeod. It would be great to watch a dual there.

Reactions: HawkTalk84
I don't really care one way or the other. But I would be all for UNI if it meant we didn't have to wrestle ISU, b/c oranges.

Reactions: Kwoodhawk
It would be in the McLeod Center, the west gym is not even an option. There is no good reason for Iowa not to wrestle UNI besides it being a selling point for UNI recruiting. If Iowa has to worry about that then they’re doing something wrong.

Reactions: wasdt21
Iowa HS has nobody in top 5 nationally, and only 3 in top 10. 6 weights have no one in top 20. Not looking particularly strong to me.

Iowa HS nationally ranked guys (FLO):
106 none
113 #19
120 #14
126 #15
132 #19
138 none
145 none
152 #9
160 #11, 17
170 none
180 none
195 #9, 16
220 none
Hwt #8

Iowa HS has nobody in top 5 nationally, and only 3 in top 10. 6 weights have no one in top 20. Not looking particularly strong to me.

Iowa HS nationally ranked guys (FLO):
106 none
113 #19
120 #14
126 #15
132 #19
138 none
145 none
152 #9
160 #11, 17
170 none
180 none
195 #9, 16
220 none
Hwt #8

Thanks for the breakdown. Any chance you can include names next to the rankings? Or just send the link of wherever you're viewing this.

Other than not having PSU and Ohio St on the schedule, I'm glad Iowa is scheduling teams we haven't seen. From a coaching standpoint you need to see these teams before NCAA tournament to get film, scouting reports. This has been going on since Gable era.
Apply the same standards to every other team, why haven't they scheduled Cornell (big red) Okie st, NC State, ect.
Everyone wants Iowa because we draw large crowds, we dont have to move our events to a tiny arena so we can boast about sellout crowds.

I remember taking my kid to wrestle USA State in the West Gym. It was even shitty for that much less a College Dual. We came from a 3A High School in Iowa and had better facilities than the West Gym.
The McLeod Center or the Dome would be suitable but looks like there are some relationship issues between Shaggy and TB before Iowa and NIU wrestle. If NIU insists only wrestling in the West Gym then maybe throw them a bone and only offer Home-Home meets at Carver.

Last edited:

Does the story involve Briggs helping a wrestler get home for the funeral of a family member and then being turned into the NCAA by Schwabb because he thought it would be his shot at the uni job and then getting uni put on sanctions that resulted in Briggs losing his job & uni hiring the ultimate pos Manning instead Greenlee?

Reactions: fufighters
Does the story involve Briggs helping a wrestler get home for the funeral of a family member and then being turned into the NCAA by Schwabb because he thought it would be his shot at the uni job and then getting uni put on sanctions that resulted in Briggs losing his job & uni hiring the ultimate pos Manning instead Greenlee?
:D You've been around a while, too. At the time, there was also talk that Briggs was somewhat responsible/blamed for not getting on top of Mark's staph infection that led to the end of his career.

Last edited:
Reactions: woodsiding

Great memory..

Reactions: woodsiding
It would be in the McLeod Center, the west gym is not even an option. There is no good reason for Iowa not to wrestle UNI besides it being a selling point for UNI recruiting. If Iowa has to worry about that then they’re doing something wrong.

If it isn't an option why was the last Iowa/UNI dual in CF in the West Gym? At one point in time, UNI was insistent at wrestling the dual there but that may have changed.

I assume you mean Mark Schwab.

Briggs lost his job first and foremost because he wasn't an effective wrestling coach anymore.

I'm not Spoons. That's another guy.

People will believe this happens magically that other kids just show up just because it's a good program. That's always the excuse given by recruiting programs. It just happens, right? There a faction of SEP people that don't think it's right and are starting to ask questions.

It’s the only option if they want it to happen. Get with it dummy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT