ADVERTISEMENT

UNI vs ISU, great show, embarrassed for TB and IU

Oct 22, 2006
The state of Iowa had a premier event last night in the west gym, ISU came to Cedar Falls on a roll and UNI won a hard fought 22-13 dual meet win over the cyclones. There is no doubt ISU is going to continue to get better, as is UNI. So it is bad enough that Iowa did not dual PSU, Michigan, and OSU this season within the Big 10 (Big 10 makes the schedule I assume) but they threw powerhouse teams like CSU Bakersfield, Kent State, and Lehigh on the schedule. I was reading the thread on this site and UNI/ISU meet, coach Schwab and TB are not close to the same people or coaches, so stop the comparison's, UNI supports a code of conduct on and off the mat that is different than TB and IU. UNI has tried to get Iowa on the schedule all of coach schwab's years at UNI (9 years), despite the fact that UNI would have had very little chance to win any of those duals and a couple of years could have been shut out completely. Iowa High School wrestling is at a all time high, college wrestling in Iowa in great shape with Wartburg and GV winning titles, UNI and ISU improving, yet Iowa has not won a NCAA title since 2010, Jimmy Z won as many NCAA team titles as TB and they ran him out of town. PSU and OSU have taken over the Big 10 and NCAA, Iowa is NOT winning NCAA titles anymore, and they refuse to wrestle UNI, I cannot wait to hear all of the excuses.

Reactions: ztmac and hokguy88
The state of Iowa had a premier event last night in the west gym, ISU came to Cedar Falls on a roll and UNI won a hard fought 22-13 dual meet win over the cyclones. There is no doubt ISU is going to continue to get better, as is UNI. So it is bad enough that Iowa did not dual PSU, Michigan, and OSU this season within the Big 10 (Big 10 makes the schedule I assume) but they threw powerhouse teams like CSU Bakersfield, Kent State, and Lehigh on the schedule. I was reading the thread on this site and UNI/ISU meet, coach Schwab and TB are not close to the same people or coaches, so stop the comparison's, UNI supports a code of conduct on and off the mat that is different than TB and IU. UNI has tried to get Iowa on the schedule all of coach schwab's years at UNI (9 years), despite the fact that UNI would have had very little chance to win any of those duals and a couple of years could have been shut out completely. Iowa High School wrestling is at a all time high, college wrestling in Iowa in great shape with Wartburg and GV winning titles, UNI and ISU improving, yet Iowa has not won a NCAA title since 2010, Jimmy Z won as many NCAA team titles as TB and they ran him out of town. PSU and OSU have taken over the Big 10 and NCAA, Iowa is NOT winning NCAA titles anymore, and they refuse to wrestle UNI, I cannot wait to hear all of the excuses.
Who in the F^%K is IU?

They are scared of UNI, plain and simple:rolleyes:

Reactions: honkey69
You eat pieces of sh** for breakfast?

Go enjoy your win troll. You guys take one from ISU, and you come here, what a complete loser!! The funny thing is you admit ISU is getting better. Guess UNI is going back down the list in Iowa.

Julia-Louis-Dreyfus-sticking-tongue-out-GIF.gif

Was shootermcgavin1 a troll to? Maybe it's something personal? But who cares. Also Iowa highschool wrestling is pretty much at the same Level it has always been maybe club wrestling has upped it a little. Real question is why you so but hurt?

Absolutely. shootermcgavin1 is none other than Doug Schwab's brother, Mike. He's a well known troll and I don't just mean on the internet. At least you're not biased, Shooter!

That said, Doug is a great guy and I hope to see his "March situations" come to an end ASAP.

Last edited:
Iowa High School wrestling is at a all time high, college wrestling in Iowa in great shape with Wartburg and GV winning titles, UNI and ISU improving, yet Iowa has not won a NCAA title since 2010, Jimmy Z won as many NCAA team titles as TB and they ran him out of town. PSU and OSU have taken over the Big 10 and NCAA, Iowa is NOT winning NCAA titles anymore, and they refuse to wrestle UNI, I cannot wait to hear all of the excuses.

Somebody woke up still drunk with a case of the ass
tenor.gif

probably should be thinking about ok st., running down iowa sure doesn't make you better than you are , which is the 15 to 20 range. i wish it was better but not quite there yet.

Iowa High School wrestling is at a all time high, college wrestling in Iowa in great shape with Wartburg and GV winning titles, UNI and ISU improving, yet Iowa has not won a NCAA title since 2010.

When was the last time UNI and ISU won a title? Also please support the statement that Iowa High School is at all time high with any evidence, because I don't see it. No teams in the top 25 rankings at this time. No #1 ranked kids.

When was the last time UNI and ISU won a title? Also please support the statement that Iowa High School is at all time high with any evidence, because I don't see it. No teams in the top 25 rankings at this time. No #1 ranked kids.

I see Iowa high school improving right now but you're right and the other guy is drunk.

I root for UNI to do good things but Spencer Lee outscored 6 UNI wrestlers last year...and I'll throw in one Iowa State wrestler as well.

I see Iowa high school improving right now but you're right and the other guy is drunk.

I root for UNI to do good things but Spencer Lee outscored 6 UNI wrestlers last year...and I'll throw in one Iowa State wrestler as well.
Chief, I'm not saying the state isn't showing some slight improvements, but when thinking of the good ole days of Iowa high school wrestling I am reminded of 2004 where some champs were, Slaton, Anson, Mueller, Borschel, Mason, Sebolt, Makey, Ettelson, Lecleire, M*, Beatty, Fields, along with many other tough guys that I feel would walk through now. Maybe I am wrong because I feel a sense of nostalgia about it, but as a state we were tough at that time. We also had talent pretty level in all 3 classes, and were pretty well represented from west to east.

I love Iowa wrestling and don't really like ripping on it, but how close to that level of talent do you think we are? I would say we have an awfully long way to go, and I'm not sure what the problem or solution is.

No reason for UNI and Hawks to Not wrestle each other on an annual basis. Would have been a more entertaining meet then any of the teams that were on Iowa's home schedule this year.
To say there is no reason for them to not wrestle is just plain dumb. I would like to see them wrestle because I like UNI, but there are plenty of reasons for the duals to happen and also reasons they are not happening. UNI wants a home and home and Iowa doesn’t want to do that. Are they right in that decision? Well that’s anyone’s opinion not fact.

Sure...they come down to the Iowa City duals along with Iowa Central and North Dakota St.

Can't argue that.....anything would be better then the current teams that show up for the Iowa City duals....wouldn't bother me if they also sent an invite to the Grandview team.

Great atmosphere and crowd - similar to Iowa wrestleoffs and Warburg - Loras dual. Take it x3 or 4 and you have Iowa city duals.

giphy.gif

I would love to wrestle UNI, but it's has to be in something bigger than West Gym, which is why the home and home thing does not work. You can't have an event 90 miles from CHA, where every Iowa fan could travel to and then have only 2100 seats, where are all the UNI fans supposed to sit? 2100 covers about 1/4 to 1/3 of the Iowa season ticket holders. Just doesn't work.

I get tired of hearing about how loud West gym is. Let's have them wrestling in my bathroom, i can fit a small mat in there and sell 5 or 6 tickets to people, standing in the tub or sitting on the sink and toilet (pants on please). With the awesome acoustics, that place can get a lot louder than West gym.I bet we can get the UNI 125 pounders ears to bleed from the noise before Spencer can pin him.

All kidding aside, I have been for this match-up, like many of you, for a long time. It should happen every year, but has to be in a big arena or at the UNI Dome. Iowa / ISU / UNI and one rotating other team from Iowa, all one day round robin tournament to kick off the year.

Iowa has nothing to gain wrestling the Clowns or UNI. If I was doing scheduling I would not put either of them on the schedule on a regular basis.

Reactions: TailgateTom
I would love to wrestle UNI, but it's has to be in something bigger than West Gym, which is why the home and home thing does not work. You can't have an event 90 miles from CHA, where every Iowa fan could travel to and then have only 2100 seats, where are all the UNI fans supposed to sit? 2100 covers about 1/4 to 1/3 of the Iowa season ticket holders. Just doesn't work.

I get tired of hearing about how loud West gym is. Let's have them wrestling in my bathroom, i can fit a small mat in there and sell 5 or 6 tickets to people, standing in the tub or sitting on the sink and toilet (pants on please). With the awesome acoustics, that place can get a lot louder than West gym.I bet we can get the UNI 125 pounders ears to bleed from the noise before Spencer can pin him.

All kidding aside, I have been for this match-up, like many of you, for a long time. It should happen every year, but has to be in a big arena or at the UNI Dome. Iowa / ISU / UNI and one rotating other team from Iowa, all one day round robin tournament to kick off the year.
I think it would happen if an agreement was made to wrestle in the mcleod center. Capacity is over 7000 but may never happen.

Reactions: Inthecircle

UNI used to wrestle in the McLeod Center prior to Schwab showing up for big duals. If Iowa came, I'm curious if they would get that going again.

Iowa has nothing to gain wrestling the Clowns or UNI. If I was doing scheduling I would not put either of them on the schedule on a regular basis.
Um. What? Both are top #20 teams and ISU is knocking on a top 10 ranking right now. UNI has been trending up for several years and ISU is going to be contending for a podium position within a few years as well.

That's just a idiotic, misinformed, poorly judged comment.

I am a Hawkeye wrestling fan but also a UNI grad and former member of the wrestling team there. We only had West Gym at the time but I loved it for most duals just like the Fieldhouse had some benefits.

That said, Neo is right about the McLeod center. Capping your attendance when you could significantly surpass the West Gym capacity isn't good for UNI or wrestling in general.

I get why a Brands might feel you need a few Kent States on the schedule, but I think a Iowa UNI dual makes a lot of sense, even if it goes every other year. It might not make sense next year with a tough schedule but it would have been nice this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT