ADVERTISEMENT

University of Iowa ending relationship with The Swarm?

Please quote it if you can. I just reread every post in this thread and did not see anyone remotely confirming this. I did see this:

The founder of the Swarm posts on here. He'll either confirm or deny this later. In the meantime, you might want to chill.
You’re really bad at reading comprehension.
Its in the lounge too
The Reddit post also mentions that it was taken from a paid board.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Again, the NCAA is in place because the schools want (and need it).

Whatever replaces them is going to be the exact same.
B1G Conference with its own rules and regulations; SEC with its own rules and regulations; Big 12 with...see where I'm going?

Won't be the same ~ the Conferences will learn from the NCAA's stupid mistakes.

She's not working with the Collective though, right? Her income is derived directly through personal Name, Image, & Likeness agreements w/o SWARM Collective assistance, right? The two can be separate.

The issue here is whether the University of Iowa is assisting the SWARM Collective in a prejudicial/unequal way toward women. If Barta gave SWARM donor's email addresses, wouldn't Barta need to give Clark (or, the Collective she's working with) the same email addresses?

Edit: Looks like her deal is with NIke ~ nothing to do with SWARM.
From my understanding all the women's bball team gets money from the swarm. A smaller amount from football to be sure but the men's bball team last summer or spring was at 10 grand a year. Not sure of the amount for women's bball

Reactions: natchrlman
"I’m out of ideas on this issue…as I have gone above Gary’s head to the President and to the Board of Regents and while they support my position, it is apparently Iowa Athletics’ call."

Quote from the Swarm post above.

Now Barta is overruling the president? How can that be?

Reactions: mikesright
And you can donate strictly to football or they will divide it themselves to a majority to football then basketball. I think someone here knows more than i can remember but that's how it goes. There is also a size limit for specifying where the money goes as every 20 dollar donor making specific requests would make the job of the swarm impossible to do.

And you can donate strictly to football or they will divide it themselves to a majority to football then basketball. I think someone here knows more than i can remember but that's how it goes. There is also a size limit for specifying where the money goes as every 20 dollar donor making specific requests would make the job of the swarm impossible to do.
If you donate $1,000 or more you can designate exactly where your donations go.

She's not working with the Collective though, right? Her income is derived directly through personal Name, Image, & Likeness agreements w/o SWARM Collective assistance, right? The two can be separate.

The issue here is whether the University of Iowa is assisting the SWARM Collective in a prejudicial/unequal way toward women. If Barta gave SWARM donor's email addresses, wouldn't Barta need to give Clark (or, the Collective she's working with) the same email addresses?

Edit: Looks like her deal is with NIke ~ nothing to do with SWARM.
No she doesn't need a collective. She can make all she wants on her own. There probably isn't another college female athlete that is as marketable as she is.

From my understanding all the women's bball team gets money from the swarm. A smaller amount from football to be sure but the men's bball team last summer or spring was at 10 grand a year. Not sure of the amount for women's bball
Okay, that makes sense. As to $$$, nobody knows what anybody's getting (pure speculation).

The problem comes with "the relationship between the school (Iowa) & the SWARM Collective." It's best when they have ZERO relationship between the two; however, it appears the two have a symbiotic relationship.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Okay, that makes sense. As to $$$, nobody knows what anybody's getting (pure speculation).

The problem comes with "the relationship between the school (Iowa) & the SWARM Collective." It's best when they have ZERO relationship between the two; however, it appears the two have a symbiotic relationship.
I think they should. If other teams are doing it we should except where there are specific rules.

No she doesn't need a collective. She can make all she wants on her own. There probably isn't another college female athlete that is as marketable as she is.
Let me cut to the chase: What percentage of the Iowa men (any sport) are receiving SWARM Collective $$$ vs. what percentage of Iowa women (any aport) are receiving SWARM Collective $$$?

It doesn't matter from the SWARM perspective, but if the school (Iowa) is favoring men vs women, Title IX becomes an issue.

Reactions: hawkdave007
Let me cut to the chase: What percentage of the Iowa men (any sport) are receiving SWARM Collective $$$ vs. what percentage of Iowa women (any aport) are receiving SWARM Collective $$$?

It doesn't matter from the SWARM perspective, but if the school (Iowa) is favoring men vs women, Title IX becomes an issue.
The school doesn't control who's getting money from the swarm, and the swarm is not an organization that is required to comply with title 9. This should be a non-issue.

What sports operate in the black at Iowa? What sport(s) funds many of the other sports at Iowa?

What are they going to sue for? It’s a private collective and has nothing to do with the university. They can run it as they see fit. Anyone can start up a collective and use it for other sports. The biggest thing is the AD doesn’t want to lose money to collectives so they stipulate it has to be available to all if not they won’t provide contacts. It’s their decision, unfortunately it’ll hurt the sports programs in the long run.
I'm honestly not disagreeing with you. But seeing how the other collectives are allegedly being run it's only a matter of time.

Lets face it. No one on here is an expert on NIL. And I, like most of you, can't stand Barta; he should have been fired after the UI had to pay out $6.5M to Jane Meyer and her partner, the former field hockey coach.

But lets be real when it comes to this issue. Barta is listening to lawyers, the University President, etc., who know a lot more about this than any of us.

Lets face it. No one on here is an expert on NIL. And I, like most of you, can't stand Barta; he should have been fired after the UI had to pay out $6.5M to Jane Meyer and her partner, the former field hockey coach.

But lets be real when it comes to this issue. Barta is listening to lawyers, the University President, etc., who know a lot more about this than any of us.

I "liked" your post; not Jon D. Miller's stupid post.

The school (Iowa) is taking a safe position in order to ensure future school & player eligibility. These are dangerous waters. Miami (and others), for example, seems to take a different approach, and "live dangerously." It's easy to gamble with other people's money and eligibility, but you must be willing to pay the price if you lose.

I am guessing here, but it appears that Iowa, from a legal standpoint, does not want to appear connected to these NIL payments, because obviously more money is getting spent on men than women (the exception would be Caitlin Clark).

The collectives can carry on as normal, of course. I don't think they can be sued for any (Title IX, etc) violations.

The school (Iowa) is taking a safe position in order to ensure future school & player eligibility. These are dangerous waters. Miami (and others), for example, seems to take a different approach, and "live dangerously." It's easy to gamble with other people's money and eligibility, but you must be willing to pay the price if you lose.
This living dangerous notion is assuming anyone is held accountable for it which will never happen. When was the last time the NCAA held someone accountable for anything.

The big boys are going to try and win now and figure it out as they go along.

I haven't read the whole thread so I'm sure I'm repeating someone else here but....

Well, it makes sense from a Title IX perspective so the University is probably correct on that. However, this does free up The Swarm to run independently of the University and can dish out money how they want. It will just take some *wink* *wink* from the coaches on who their priorities are. Kind of like how politicians aren't supposed to coordinate with Super PACs.

A downside to it is the lack of University oversight means that it is possible to be completely corrupt and people can enrich themselves without giving much money to the athletes. There will need to be a clearly defined organizational structure and transparency with the finances and how the expenses people who run the organization are getting paid. If that doesn't happen, only fools and people trying to launder money will be donating to it. I know I wouldn't give them a dime unless I could be assured the money was going to be used the way it is supposed to be used.

Last edited:
This living dangerous notion is assuming anyone is held accountable for it which will never happen. When was the last time the NCAA held someone accountable for anything.

When it comes to Title IX lawsuits, it is the female athletes who sue.

Iowa just went thought a Title IX lawsuit. Remember?

When Iowa eliminated women's swimming, who sued?? The Iowa women swimmers did. And the findings were that Iowa was not spending the same on women athletes as they were on men athletes. Iowa not only had to reinstate women's swimming, they had to add a new sport (women's wrestling). It ended up costing Iowa A LOT.

I think this simply is a matter of the University of Iowa not wanting to appear to be spending more on men than women, because lets face it, the men are gonna get paid more from the collectives. If Iowa is not connected to collective payments, then they are in good shape from a legal standpoint. Agree or not agree but Barta & the UI President are clearly listening to their lawyers.

When was the last time a college violated Title IX? It's a very powerful federal law, and I'm sure they NCAA would love to "team up" with the Feds (hypothetically, of course).

Reactions: Franisdaman
And you have no clue how much work he has put in. Why don’t you do it ? Because you don’t want to . So either support or get out
I don't think anyone is questioning his work ethic, but after the last week it's safe to question his professionalism.

• Sad
Reactions: grhawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT