ADVERTISEMENT

University of Iowa ending relationship with The Swarm?

I think that that is the future of college sports.
Good luck with that. So who is going to represent "your Iowa Hawkeyes" when we sit with the networks to get OUR 80-100 million $ share of the TV revenue? Do you think the B1G office is going to negotiate your cut with you or the University of Iowa and the AD's department?

...and, it's time for the schools to tell the NCAA to get F'ed. Unfortunately, spineless ADs like Barta preach otherwise.
The dislike for Barta fogs a lot of thinking. like he has anything to do with the NCAA being a toothless overseer. Cmon....

Reactions: denmar81
"I’m out of ideas on this issue…as I have gone above Gary’s head to the President and to the Board of Regents and while they support my position, it is apparently Iowa Athletics’ call."

Quote from the Swarm post above.

Now Barta is overruling the president? How can that be?
I don't think he's "overruling" them. I think their saying that this issue is not under their purview....

Reactions: millah_22
Doesn't make him any less of a child for airing this stuff out in this manner on a public message board. Completely unprofessional.

I don't agree....this guy was actually trying to do something vs everyone else just talking about it and complaining.....He's trying to raise NIL money for Iowa men's sports so that they can actually compete and keep the golden goose for all sports going. The University being Progressive, couldn't abide by NIL money mostly going to high profile men's sports athletes....so they wanted Swarm to follow Title9...which would have made the Swarm useless....Founder tried to go above Barta, no dice. Seems like no school of substance is following Title9 but UI progressives don't care. Works until teams suck and attendance drops and all sports at university face money cutbacks.

I don't agree....this guy was actually trying to do something vs everyone else just talking about it and complaining.....He's trying to raise NIL money for Iowa men's sports so that they can actually compete and keep the golden goose for all sports going. The University being Progressive, couldn't abide by NIL money mostly going to high profile men's sports athletes....so they wanted Swarm to follow Title9...which would have made the Swarm useless....Founder tried to go above Barta, no dice. Seems like no school of substance is following Title9 but UI progressives don't care. Works until teams suck and attendance drops and all sports at university face money cutbacks.
It's not political, you idiot. It's crooked toothed Barta trying to keep his funds coming in, instead of to NIL. Title IX is a scapegoat, and according to a majority of other schools working with their NIL collectives, it's a bad one.

The dislike for Barta fogs a lot of thinking. like he has anything to do with the NCAA being a toothless overseer. Cmon....
Barta loves the NCAA (just like Gene Smith @ tosu). GB should get together with the other B1G & P5 ADs, and conspire to have all the schools withdraw from the NCAA. Set your own rules instead of following a bunch of idiots.

The story on Iowa settling the recent Title IX case brought against them:

The group of 6 Iowa female athletes — four swimmers, one rugby player and a university student who wrestled in high school — filed the Title IX lawsuit after the university announced it would cut women's swimming. The plaintiffs' complaint, filed in Iowa district court, said that the university was violating Title IX, which requires educational programs that receive federal funding to offer equal educational opportunities.

In October 2021, Iowa reached a settlement:

* Women's swimming will remain an Iowa Hawkeyes sport until at least 2028

* The university had to pay out nearly $400,000 to cover legal costs.

* Iowa agreed to add women's wrestling. The newly founded wrestling team will offer the maximum number of full scholarships (10) and field a 30-woman roster beginning in the 2023-24 season.

* Iowa hired Gabriel Feldman, a faculty member at Tulane University, to serve as a monitor of Iowa's Title IX compliance for 3 years.

* Iowa will also cap the number of varsity roster spots on the women's rowing team at 75. The lawsuit argued that Iowa was inflating those numbers as a way around Title IX requirements.

With the addition of women’s wrestling, Iowa will offer 22 sports, including 14 women’s teams and eight men’s teams.

The irony is that:

1. The NCAA could win their "position;"
2. The women who sue could win their "position;"
3. Both (NCAA & Women's Programs) would suffer financially from their win by virtue of lost $$$ to the men.

Men's sports (football/basketball) is the Golden Goose that feeds these asshats.

The collective is a stand alone and not affiliated with the university so nothing is ending, period.

Sounds like the UI athletic department and Swarm were cooperating and now Swarm is not getting that cooperation because Swarm doesn't want to bound by Title9 demands the University was asking Swarm to comply with....of course the NIL is not affiliated with Athletic department, I don't think the thread poster were suggesting it was. I highly doubt Alabama for example is asking NIL donors to donate equal amounts to women's rowers as the men's football players.

When the NCAA clarified its interim NIL policy in late October, it opened the door for schools, athletic department officials and coaches to officially endorse booster-run collectives.

And in three short weeks, schools across the country have wasted little time throwing their support behind the groups that have become college sports’ key driving force in recruiting, roster maintenance and Transfer Portal.

Officially a member school is not able to provide financial support to a NIL collective, have an athletic department staff member employed by the booster-run organization or provide an incentive to drive funds to a collective.

I don't think he's "overruling" them. I think their saying that this issue is not under their purview....
Well I agree that the BOR has bigger issues to deal with. But I'm pretty sure everything comes under the president. She must just not care, which is a tad disappointing.

Sounds like the UI athletic department and Swarm were cooperating and now Swarm is not getting that cooperation because Swarm doesn't want to bound by Title9 demands the University was asking Swarm to comply with....of course the NIL is not affiliated with Athletic department, I don't think the thread poster were suggesting it was. I highly doubt Alabama for example is asking NIL donors to donate equal amounts to women's rowers as the men's football players.

When the NCAA clarified its interim NIL policy in late October, it opened the door for schools, athletic department officials and coaches to officially endorse booster-run collectives.

And in three short weeks, schools across the country have wasted little time throwing their support behind the groups that have become college sports’ key driving force in recruiting, roster maintenance and Transfer Portal.

Officially a member school is not able to provide financial support to a NIL collective, have an athletic department staff member employed by the booster-run organization or provide an incentive to drive funds to a collective.
How about Unofficially?

“The latest NIL guidance from the NCAA essentially gave collectives the green light to go all in and sort of lifted the taboo surrounding them prior to the guidance,” Greene said.

Note..."essentially gave the collectives the green light ...and sort of lifted the taboo... ~ what a tool this guy is! The NCAA gave guidance to the Collectives! I call B.S.

“The latest NIL guidance from the NCAA essentially gave collectives the green light to go all in and sort of lifted the taboo surrounding them prior to the guidance,” Greene said.

Note..."essentially gave the collectives the green light ...and sort of lifted the taboo... ~ what a tool this guy is! The NCAA gave guidance to the Collectives! I call B.S.
What? They clarified in October:

While they didn't exactly give guidance specifically TO the NIL collectives, they did give guidance to the schools on what they can do.

When was the last time a college violated Title IX? It's a very powerful federal law, and I'm sure they NCAA would love to "team up" with the Feds (hypothetically, of course).
When it comes to Title IX lawsuits, it is the female athletes who sue.

Iowa just went thought a Title IX lawsuit. Remember?

When Iowa eliminated women's swimming, who sued?? The Iowa women swimmers did. And the findings were that Iowa was not spending the same on women athletes as they were on men athletes. Iowa not only had to reinstate women's swimming, they had to add a new sport (women's wrestling). It ended up costing Iowa A LOT.

I think this simply is a matter of the University of Iowa not wanting to appear to be spending more on men than women, because lets face it, the men are gonna get paid more from the collectives. If Iowa is not connected to collective payments, then they are in good shape from a legal standpoint. Agree or not agree but Barta & the UI President are clearly listening to their lawyers.
As far as I know the University is not connected to the collective at all. So the whole Title IX issue holds no merit for private money.

The powers that be are just handicapping ourselves in hope that The playing fields will be leveled and they never will.

As far as I know the University is not connected to the collective at all. So the whole Title IX issue holds no merit for private money.

The powers that be are just handicapping ourselves in hope that The playing fields will be leveled and they never will.

The University of Iowa must spend equally when it comes to women's and men's sports.

As a result, Iowa needs to be independent from the payments that collectives are making; otherwise, female athletes will sue Iowa yet again.

Again, lawyers who know a lot more about NIL and Title IX are advising the University President and the Iowa AD. Iowa just settled a Title IX lawsuit. They don't want to go through another one.

What? They clarified in October:

While they didn't exactly give guidance specifically TO the NIL collectives, they did give guidance to the schools on what they can do.
Paragraph 4. Negotiating...

"The October guidance stresses the distinction between an institution’s permissible role as a facilitator in NIL activities and its impermissible role as a substantive representative of a student athlete or NIL entity. While institutions welcome any clarification the NCAA provides, its latest guidance still leaves myriad unanswered questions. Institutions and Collectives should consider engaging competent counsel to aid in tailoring the NCAA’s general guidance to the organizations’ unique scenarios."

That's all you need to read.

I totally agree that the university and the collective are not connected, however, it wouldn't take much for them to become connected...say, providing private info about university donors to the collective.

Swarm wants information from university about ticket holders etc— just bypass them and put your information in a newspaper ad or a plug on radio broadcasts

Reactions: bumpstock
Doesn't make him any less of a child for airing this stuff out in this manner on a public message board. Completely unprofessional.
Hes totally in the right.

The university is trying to sabotage the ability of the programs to be competitive.

Theres nothing wrong with letting people know whats going on.

Professionalism is irrelevant. Its not a profession.

I totally agree that the university and the collective are not connected, however, it wouldn't take much for them to become connected...say, providing private info about university donors to the collective.
Even if they did share the donor information that doesn’t mean the money those donors push to the collective falls under Title IX. the university had no say how that money is spent.

Is this really a surprise to anyone? NIL was always going to favor the blue bloods first, then they are going to perfect the loop holes while the rest try to play it right and tippy toe around it. The blue bloods will stay on top and we will forever live in mediocrity… this is all very depressing, I guess I just have to live with the fact we may not win another BIG Championship in our lifetimes.
That's not at all what this is about.

Reactions: littlez
Even if they did share the donor information that doesn’t mean the money those donors push to the collective falls under Title IX. the university had no say how that money is spent.
The university can be viewed as aiding SWARM to the detriment of Women. You don't have to believe the university is doing it ~ the Court needs to believe that the university is doing it!

Just like the NCAA didn't think they were wrong until the U.S. Supreme Court told them they were wrong.

Reactions: hawkdave007
When was the last time a college violated Title IX? It's a very powerful federal law, and I'm sure they NCAA would love to "team up" with the Feds (hypothetically, of course).
You really think the ncaa is going to try and go after specific schools on this stuff?

Why?

The ncaa only exists to enrich itself, they haven't tried to legitimately enforce rules for 40 years at least.

NIL money in no way interferes with their financial interests.

The opposite. It allows them to continue their grift without scrutiny from the wokes.

Now they can continue to do nothing but justify it because the programs have a legal loophole to hide behind.

The ncaa knows they can, and should be fired because they bring nothing of value to the table.

The last thing they are going to do, (and haven't done for decades) is to go after the thing that puts money in their pockets.

The university can be viewed as aiding SWARM to the detriment of Women. You don't have to believe the university is doing it ~ the Court needs to believe that the university is doing it!

Just like the NCAA didn't think they were wrong until the U.S. Supreme Court told them they were wrong.
Suing an NIL collective for violation of title 9 would go nowhere. Theres no legal standing for it. It doesn't exist.

This is Barta short sightedly not wanting to give up his client list.

Fundraising is the reason he still has a job.

Actually, Football and Men's and Women's basketball.

Exactly, you can't hold someone accountable for sharing an email list.

And really, there is absolutely no way anyone could prove where the information came from anyway.

Suing an NIL collective for violation of title 9 would go nowhere. Theres no legal standing for it. It doesn't exist.

This is Barta short sightedly not wanting to give up his client list.

Fundraising is the reason he still has a job.
They wouldn't sue the Collective ~ they'd sue the University!!!

This living dangerous notion is assuming anyone is held accountable for it which will never happen. When was the last time the NCAA held someone accountable for anything.
I see what you're saying, and it's just about the time they decide to throw the axe & it happens to be at Iowa. Left at the alter yet again.

It is what it is. UNC only held on to their star QB because the collective. they only managed to kept him there because they had access to information from that university.

Reactions: Bishop1971
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT