ADVERTISEMENT

Up North recruiting

You talking about Broc Berge, Seth Gross, or Sam Stoll? Because these are the only MN guys to take the mat for Iowa in the last decade. The first was the number 1 recruit at his weight and ended up retiring early. The 2nd got mixed up with IC riff-raff and got kicked out, then left and improved 1000%. The last got shot by a teammate and got his scholly yanked because of it.

It's only a matter of time until Minnesota kids realize that moving down south isn't necessarily going to make them great.

You talking about Broc Berge, Seth Gross, or Sam Stoll? Because these are the only MN guys to take the mat for Iowa in the last decade. The first was the number 1 recruit at his weight and ended up retiring early. The 2nd got mixed up with IC riff-raff and got kicked out, then left and improved 1000%. The last got shot by a teammate and got his scholly yanked because of it.

It's only a matter of time until Minnesota kids realize that moving down south isn't necessarily going to make them great.

good-good-let-the-butthurt-flow-through-you.jpg

Never have understood "states". There is one State Tournament. I understand "districts" and "sectionals" because there is more than 1 such tournament

Not true. Nearly every state has multiple divisions with their own tournaments. Now, most are held at the same location(in my time a and b were at Kellog while C/D was held at the High School). Still, even if they are held at the same place, they are in fact multiple state tournaments!

California is the biggest exclusion to this

^ IAHSAA calls their event which includes all enrollment classes the "State Wrestling Tournament" I guess I haven't looked whether other states call their event "State Wrestling Tournaments"

Spencer Lee turned into a champ by brands?

We like plucky underdogs here at Iowa.

Edit: I will say that there was a lot of risk involved in judging whether Lee was ready or not with a large cliff of second guessing to fall off of if Spencer even got 2nd. Our staff went against the grain of both their and conventional wisdom by pulling Lee's shirt and making the needed adjustments during the season.

Not true. Nearly every state has multiple divisions with their own tournaments. Now, most are held at the same location(in my time a and b were at Kellog while C/D was held at the High School). Still, even if they are held at the same place, they are in fact multiple state tournaments!

But you are only entered in the state tournament for your division. Therefore, you win state. Unless you cheat and enter in multiple "states".

Never have understood "states". There is one State Tournament. I understand "districts" and "sectionals" because there is more than 1 such tournament

In Iowa there are three separate state tournaments and forty two individual state champions. Perhaps those three tournaments and 42 brackets take place in the same building, but it’s three tournaments.

When you compete at “Districts” you’re not competing in multiple District tournaments, you’re just competing in one of them; just as you’re only competing in one of the three state tournaments. But you still say, “I hope I win Districts this year!”

It is really helpful to have Minny be a little down. No matter what anybody says, a strong Minny and a strong ISU hurt Iowa recruiting.

In Iowa there are three separate state tournaments and forty two individual state champions. Perhaps those three tournaments and 42 brackets take place in the same building, but it’s three tournaments.

When you compete at “Districts” you’re not competing in multiple District tournaments, you’re just competing in one of them; just as you’re only competing in one of the three state tournaments. But you still say, “I hope I win Districts this year!”
So a spectator can attend "states" because there are 3 tournaments. A wrestler cannot wrestle states, because he/she only qualifies for 1 of the tournaments. A team cannot place in states because it can only compete in 1 of the tournaments. Got it
;)

Last edited:
So a spectator can attend "states" because there are 3 tournaments. A wrestler cannot wrestle states, because he/she only qualifies for 1 of the tournaments. A team cannot place in states because it can only compete in 1 of the tournaments. Got it
;)

Nah, you wrestle at Districts, Sectionals, and States. Or, you wrestled in your District Tournament, your Sectional Tournament, and the State Tournament. Even in NJ, with only one class, they say they're wrestling at "states"; presumably because there are fourteen state champions to be crowned.

It's simple!

When I was in school, we called it “state”, I hear a lot of kids now calling it “states”. Probably with the growth of nation media coverage, Cali kids are hearing it and saying it that way. Tomato/tomatoes

Nah, you wrestle at Districts, Sectionals, and States. Or, you wrestled in your District Tournament, your Sectional Tournament, and the State Tournament. Even in NJ, with only one class, they say they're wrestling at "states"; presumably because there are fourteen state champions to be crowned.

I am going to wrestle in the district, regional and state tournament this year. Not districts, not regionals, and not states. I am only going to wrestle in one of each. But, since we know what everyone is talking about, each regional speech form is acceptable, so no need to discuss further. Revisit topic next summer when nothing else going on!

There is on only one State Tournament in Iowa, thus you wrestle at State. If you win, you are a state champ. There are multiple districts (8), therefore, you wrestle at Districts. If you win districts, you are a district champ. If you want to say that there are essentially 3 state separate tournaments since we have three classes, you might as well say we have 42 separate state tournaments.

So if I am a fan I am going to watch states, if I
am a potential participant I am going to state since I can only enter one. So I can never hope to qualify for states or win states.

There is on only one State Tournament in Iowa, thus you wrestle at State. If you win, you are a state champ. There are multiple districts (8), therefore, you wrestle at Districts. If you win districts, you are a district champ. If you want to say that there are essentially 3 state separate tournaments since we have three classes, you might as well say we have 42 separate state tournaments.

Are you going to watch Nationals in Pittsburgh, or National?

For that matter, did Spencer Lee beat Suriano in the Final, or the Finals?

Reactions: Creek Side
I understand the logic for "states", considering it's "sectionals", "districts", "nationals", "Big Tens", etc. It clearly follows that it should be "states".

But "states" just sounds wrong and I'm going to ignore all previously stated logic and continue to say "state"

The kid didn’t even win state his senior year.
I guess we will see what they do
Yeah, but we still say "he's a national champion" not "He's a nationals champion."
Honest question, do you weirdos say "he's a 4-time states champion?"
yeah but you would not say he won national you would say he won Nationals or he was number one at Nationals not number one at national. Is this like the tomato and potato thing

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT