ADVERTISEMENT

Update: 26 UI student-athletes are being investigated for online gambling, incl in Baseball, Football, Men’s Basketball, Men’s track&field & Wrestling

Love this. From tonight's radio show:

The story from 9:05 pm tonight:

Kirk Ferentz hopeful that Noah Shannon could be reinstated from gambling suspension

Chad Leistikow
Des Moines Register
Oct 4, 2023; Updated 9:05 pm CT

A potential 11th-hour ruling by the NCAA could reinstate Iowa football player Noah Shannon to the field, perhaps by early November.

The NCAA's Committee on Athlete Reinstatement is reviewing punishments for gambling-related offenses. Previously, any athlete found to bet on sports involving his/her own school was subject to a permanent ban of eligibility. That was the case for Shannon, a 27-game starter on Iowa's defensive line who was ruled out for the season after placing a bet on a Hawkeye game (not football), according to head coach Kirk Ferentz. Under new guidance in such cases, there would be no eligibility loss on a first offense but the athlete would be required to go through education on sports-gambling rules and prevention.

Wednesday's bulletin said the reinstatement committee will complete its review by mid-October and a Council Coordination Committee would vote by late October. "The guidelines could potentially be applied retroactively," the NCAA said in the statement.

Ferentz, on his Wednesday-night radio show, expressed "happiness" that something good might come about for Shannon, but railed on the NCAA for taking so long.

“You would think since we had this breakthrough revelation (today) that maybe we could act on it in the next couple of days, have an emergency meeting (with) whoever's got to … rubber stamp all this stuff.," Ferentz said. "You'd think it might be something they could address in the very near future. But I realize we're all busy, too. I get that.

“I just hope it does go through and I hope Noah gets on the field this year, because it would be so well-deserved. And then the other side of me said, ‘Could this have taken place somewhere in May, June, July? Anytime before this season actually started and somebody's life was impacted?' And you get a little upset about it.

“It's unfair. And I think that's the problem with bureaucracies. Now the good news is at least we're getting a response here, like somebody's alive over there and paying attention.

“But if we get anything out of this, if there's a good break, then that's a positive. I'll look at the positive side.”

69e6e9db-a279-4abe-b84c-e542c57bf699-IowaVsNeb_20221125_bh_1018.JPG

Noah Shannon's potential return in November would be a boost for the Iowa defensive line.

Shannon, who returned for his sixth-year senior season, has been enlisted as a student assistant after his NCAA appeal was denied in September.

According to the NCAA, athletes who compromise the integrity of the game or bet on their own team (as was the case for former Hawkeyes Aaron Blom, Reggie Bracy, Arland Bruce IV and Jack Johnson as well as several Iowa State players) will still face permanent loss of eligibility.

At Iowa's media day, Shannon was determined to move past this no matter what happened. But he wanted to play more than anything.

“One big thing for me is I’ve been telling myself: I’m not going to let this define me in any way, shape or form,” Shannon said on Aug. 11. “Life goes on. So whenever — I don’t know when the NCAA will come out with the ruling, but I’ll be ready."

If the new guidelines go through, that could also could be a boon for Iowa wrestling, which reportedly had as many as six athletes, including multiple starters, suspended for gambling.

Iowa football has its lone off Saturday on Oct. 28, but plays Northwestern at Wrigley Field in Chicago on Nov. 4, followed by two home games vs. Rutgers (Nov. 11) and Illinois (Nov. 18) then a road finale at Nebraska (Nov. 24). The best-case scenario would have Shannon available for those four games plus the postseason, which would be a big help for a defensive line that has struggled to get pass pressure.

“It’s a better deal for winter sports or spring sports, and I'm happy for anybody who is affected by that,” Ferentz said. “Again, if we're talking about Noah's situation, he was … extremely upfront, very transparent about everything he had done, did nothing criminal. And he did bet on a basketball game, I think. And I just don't think that's a capital crime. I know, rules are rules. I've heard that before, and policies are policies. But sometimes a little common sense and judgment goes a long way.”

Hanika has been dismissed. Assuming failure to indict by trial information in the allocated time. Not sure if they can refile. I posted some stuff here and elsehwhere. This dismissal, and the circumstances that surround it add some additional validation to what I've been told.

Looks like Noah placed ONE freakin' bet on the women's basketball team. And the penalty was extreme, to say the least.

Kirk was blasting the NCAA once again yesterday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT