ADVERTISEMENT

Update: 26 UI student-athletes are being investigated for online gambling, incl in Baseball, Football, Men’s Basketball, Men’s track&field & Wrestling

Story from the Des Moines Register. Once again KF brings some really good insight to the topic. As you will read, he thinks this is an opportunity for the NCAA to reconsider two things: (1) what punishments might be that are fair and relevant to the world we're living in right now; and (2) better education process for student athletes.

Ferentz is hopeful the situation for his football team will be resolved in early August or late August at the latest.

The story:

Kirk Ferentz: 'Not a large number' of Iowa football players in sports gambling investigation​

Tyler Tachman
Des Moines Register
July 26, 2023

INDIANAPOLIS − Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz said Wednesday there is “not a large number” of Hawkeye football players involved in the NCAA’s investigation into sports gambling.

"Long story short, we don't really know what the outcome is going to be,” Ferentz said at Big Ten Media Days. “I don't think anyone condones gambling, especially on the college game. That being said, I've learned a lot the past two months just about gambling.”

Ferentz added: “I think your No. 1 concern, is anybody gambling on your (own) team? … I have no knowledge of anything like that."

Defensive lineman Noah Shannon was the first Iowa football player to be publicly named in the sports-gambling investigation that flagged 26 student-athletes at Iowa and approximately 15 at Iowa State.

“We live in a real different world right now,” Ferentz said. “I think what the NFL has done with their rules makes a lot of sense. I'm hopeful this is an opportunity for the NCAA maybe to reconsider two things − what punishments might be that are fair and relevant to the world we're living in right now. And then probably the bigger thing, there's an opportunity right now for a lot better education process, if you will."

More:Iowa football's Noah Shannon to miss Big Ten Media Days due to NCAA gambling investigation

Ferentz said that "nobody has been pulled from the program at all," meaning anyone involved in the investigation is expected to be able to participate in fall camp. Ferentz is hopeful the situation will be resolved in early August or late August at the latest. Iowa's season opener against Utah State is on Sept. 2.

Shannon was initially expected to be among Iowa’s representatives at Big Ten Media Days. But on July 19, Shannon’s involvement in the NCAA investigation into sports gambling was made public. Linebacker Jay Higgins served as Shannon’s replacement at Big Ten Media Days.

“Being selected to represent the Iowa Hawkeye football team at Big Ten Media Days is a tremendous honor and privilege,” Shannon said in a statement. “I am grateful for the opportunity. However, given the circumstances, I told Coach Ferentz it would (be) best for him to select another player. Since the NCAA review is not yet complete, I don’t feel it is right for me to represent the team.”

More:Iowa football releases first depth chart for fall 2023: 5 things you need to know

Shannon has been a major contributor to Iowa's dominant defense, starting 27 games across the last two seasons. He tallied 44 total tackles last season.

“Noah Shannon’s one of our top, top guys. He’s just a tremendous young man, tremendous person," Ferentz said. "He may or may not have violated an NCAA rule. Time will tell. He has not broken any laws or rules. So he’s first class. I get to see that side of him and see how that’s affected him. He feels badly, that he’s even involved in this.”

According to NCAA guidelines, which are in effect for violations reported on or after May 2, 2023, Hawkeye players' college eligibility would be in jeopardy if they bet on Iowa games (in any sport). Players could lose half a season if they bet on any college football contests. For other wagering activity, they would face a loss of 30% of the season if they wagered more than $800, 20% of the season if they wagered between $501 and $800, 10% of the season for $201 to $500, and gambling education (no games missed) for $200 or less.

More:NCAA announces lesser penalties to punish sports betting — good news for Iowa, ISU and Iowa athletes

"When I was a kid, it was cigarette commercials," Ferentz said. "Now it's gambling commercials. So I think we just really need to reshape our thinking about what's fair. And then also use this as a real educational opportunity to just make sure players understand that there might be some downside to this, too."

Follow Tyler Tachman on Twitter @Tyler_T15, contact him via email at ttachman@gannett.com

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
There have been rumors that student athletes bet on the Iowa women's basketball team as they advanced to the National Championship game.

What do you guys this about this portion of the article:

According to NCAA guidelines, which are in effect for violations reported on or after May 2, 2023, Hawkeye players' college eligibility would be in jeopardy if they bet on Iowa games (in any sport). Football players could lose half a season if they bet on any college football contests. For other wagering activity, they would face a loss of 30% of the season if they wagered more than $800, 20% of the season if they wagered between $501 and $800, 10% of the season for $201 to $500, and gambling education (no games missed) for $200 or less.

• Haha
Wrestling will get hit the hardest
Anybody know if any track athletes were held out the last few meets? That sport is on the list.
And did any of you know there was a point shaving scandal at BC when Tom was there? Anyone wonder why the rules--well point shaving is not just betting but /it's no wonder the NCAA got the heeby-jeebies when things like that happened.

Anybody know if any track athletes were held out the last few meets? That sport is on the list.
And did any of you know there was a point shaving scandal at BC when Tom was there? Anyone wonder why the rules--well point shaving is not just betting but /it's no wonder the NCAA got the heeby-jeebies when things like that happened.
I knew about the point shaving at BC, but didn't realize Dr. Tom was there at the time. I just looked at the roster for the BC team and there's a guy named Vin Caraher, oddly enough Iowa baseball team just missed out on a guy named Cam Caraher who is heading to BC, wonder if they're related

Of the 26 Iowa student athletes tied to gambling, these 7 have been named publicly so far:

Baseball:
Keaton Anthony
Jacob Henderson
Ben Tallman
Gehrig Christensen

Football:
Noah Shannon
Aaron Blom

Basketball:
Ahron Ulis

Iowa’s criminal investigation division has released the full list of 7 current and former Iowa and Iowa State student-athletes charged as a result of its investigation into illegal sports betting.

As DCI notes, its investigation is ongoing.

F2ilmz3XwAM1yNO

There were a few track athletes that sat out the B1G championships and NCAA regionals. I don't have an exact number but a good friend's son runs track at Iowa and he shared that there were a few withheld from competition.

In statement, the Iowa Racing & Gaming Commission is still saying betting markets were not compromised in light of criminal charges filed against Iowa & ISU athletes.

F2n4Z_fXQAYyENy

F2n4dQFXAAA08sQ

Interesting defense.

In case the tweet info gets cut off:

"The defense believes that the State used Geofence, or similar data collection methods, as well as phone pinging data to capture data on the Iowa and Iowa State campuses after which students and other athletes were eliminated as targets unless they belonged to specific male athletic teams, which if true, would be a violation of the Defendant's constitutional rights as the State is not allowed to use discretion when choosing who to apply the law to."

Noah Shannon is part of this too, of course (but he has not been criminally charged).

Noah Shannon & WR Jack Johnson are the only players connected to this investigation who are still on the Iowa football team

• Haha
It will be interesting to see how Bruce's complaint is structured. I've hinted about that throughout the various threads. Also interesting, to me at least, is they haven't filed an indictment by trial information, and he hasn't been taken into custody. Extremely aggressive on an aggravated misdemeanor. I don't think he's been booked, and I don't think if he's in Oklahoma they extradite for this minor of a crime. I'll know much more next week. I've "hinted" at quite a lot throughout this, and I have n reason to not stand by my hints.

I count 10 former & current Iowa student athletes being named so far. But I think there's MORE than 16 yet be be named because the UI's May 8 announcement stated the list of 111 individuals included 26 CURRENT student-athletes. The list of 10 student athletes (and one coach) that follows contains at least THREE FORMER student athletes (so there might be more 16 student-athletes yet to be named).

* On March 22, 2023 BB player Ahron Ulis announced that he was entering the transfer portal. He ended up at Nebraska

* FB players Reggie Bracy & Arland Bruce transferred in the offseason.

Of the Iowa student athletes (former & current) tied to gambling, here's the breakdown BY SPORT of who's been named publicly so far:

Baseball:
Keaton Anthony
Jacob Henderson
Ben Tallman
Gehrig Christensen--criminally charged

Football:
DL Noah Shannon
DB Reggie Bracy (now at Troy)--criminally charged
WR Arland Bruce (now at OK State)--criminally charged
WR Jack Johnson--criminally charged
Kicker/Punter Aaron Blom--criminally charged

Basketball:
Ahron Ulis (now at Nebraska)--criminally charged

Wrestling:
no one yet named

Men's Track & Field:
no one yet named

Student Managers:
Evan Schuster, Iowa Men's Basketball--criminally charged (accused of betting on Iowa games over the last 2 seasons)

Coaches:
FB Grad assistant Owen O'Brien--criminally charged

Last edited:
Update on those named so far:

I count 18 former & current Iowa student athletes being named so far in the gambling scandal. But I think there's MORE than 8 yet be be named because the UI's May 8 announcement stated the list of 111 individuals included 26 CURRENT student-athletes. The list of 18 student athletes (and one coach and one student manager) that follows contains at least THREE FORMER student athletes (so there might be more 8 student-athletes yet to be named).

The 3 former student-athletes:

* On March 22, 2023 BB player Ahron Ulis announced that he was entering the transfer portal. He ended up at Nebraska

* FB players Reggie Bracy & Arland Bruce transferred in the offseason.

Of the Iowa student athletes (former & current) tied to gambling, here's the breakdown BY SPORT of who's been named publicly so far:

Baseball:
Keaton Anthony
Jacob Henderson
Ben Tallman
Gehrig Christensen--criminally charged

Football:
DL Noah Shannon--bet on an Iowa sport; ONE YEAR SUSPENSION
Jermari Harris--suspended 2 games
Chris Reames--suspended 2 games

WR Jack Johnson--criminally charged
Kicker/Punter Aaron Blom--criminally charged

DB Reggie Bracy (now at Troy)--criminally charged
WR Arland Bruce (now at OK State)--criminally charged

Basketball:
Ahron Ulis (now at Nebraska)--criminally charged

Wrestling:
Tony Cassioppi--suspended for season?
Nelson Brands--suspended for season?
Abe Assad--suspended for season?
Cobe Siebrecht--suspended for season?
Cullan Schriever--multiple meet suspension?
Patrick Kennedy--multiple meet suspension?

Men's Track & Field:
no one yet named

Student Managers:
Evan Schuster, Iowa Men's Basketball--criminally charged (accused of betting on Iowa games over the last 2 seasons)

Coaches:
FB Grad assistant Owen O'Brien--criminally charged

Here's the story from today from the Press Citizen/Des Moines Register:

5 athletes at University of Iowa, Iowa State plead guilty to underage gambling in state probe

Ryan Hansen
Iowa City Press-Citizen
Sep 6, 2023

Five athletes from the University of Iowa and Iowa State University have pleaded guilty to underage gambling, a simple misdemeanor, as part of a sprawling sports-betting investigation that has resulted in charges against more than a dozen student-athletes at the two schools.

Iowa State quarterback Hunter Dekkers and linemen Dodge Sauser and Jacob Remsburg, along with former University of Iowa kicker Aaron Blom and baseball player Gehrig Christensen, all entered guilty pleas to underage gambling Wednesday.

All five were initially charged with tampering with records as part of a gambling scheme, an aggravated misdemeanor that could have carried a two-year prison sentence if found guilty. Instead, the tampering charges were dismissed and each of the five will pay a scheduled fine for underage gambling, which is $645 in Iowa.

There will be no additional criminal punishments for any of the five charged, according to the terms of their guilty pleas.

In all, the ongoing investigation into the sports-betting scandal has implicated more than three dozen current and former Iowa State University and University of Iowa athletes who face suspension from their teams or criminal charges or both.

Mark Weinhardt, a lawyer for the three members of the Iowa State football team who pleaded guilty, released a statement Wednesday.

"The original records tampering charge against these young men never fit this case, either legally or factually. Hunter, Jake and Dodge are not and never were guilty of that charge. The charge has nothing to do with gambling," Weinhardt wrote. "Other than the fact that Hunter, Jake and Dodge placed some bets before they turned 21, nothing about those bets is a crime under Iowa law."

Story County Attorney Timothy Meals responded that he could not comment on an ongoing investigation.

The allegations in the Hunter Dekkers gambling case​

In Dekkers' guilty plea, the quarterback admitted to using his mother's name to wager more than $2,700 on more than 250 bets, including a wager on the Iowa State football team while he was on the team. It was unclear whether the terms of the plea meant Dekkers admitted to placing a singular bet on Iowa State.

He was accused of placing 26 bets on the Cyclones in the complaint filed in Story County last month, including the 2021 football game against Oklahoma State when he was a sophomore backup quarterback but didn't play.

Under NCAA rules, athletes are permanently ineligible if found guilty of placing wagers on sporting events that involve their school.

The complaint alleges the DraftKings account controlled by Dekkers completed approximately 366 mobile/online sports wagers totaling “over $2,799.”

Dekkers did not participate in Iowa State's fall preseason camp practices so he could "focus on his studies and on the defense of this criminal charge," according to a statement released by his attorneys in August.

905a7940-607e-4939-9d0d-1e6508b4a1f8-AP22330838523774.jpg

Dekkers, Nov 26, 2022, vs TCU

The allegations in the Dodge Sauser gambling case​

Sauser's plea included an admission that he wagered approximately $3,075, including a bet on an Iowa State football game in which he did not participate. Sauser has left the team.

The DraftKings account controlled by Sauser is alleged to have placed 12 wagers on Iowa State football games, including contests last year against Ohio, West Virginia, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech. In total, Sauser wagered $3,075 on DraftKings, according to the complaint.

Sauser is not noted as appearing in any Iowa State game during his career in the school’s official biography of him on its athletic department website. He redshirted in 2021 and did not appear in 2022, according to the Iowa State athletics page.

6782bb2d-750b-40e7-b550-5e55682751a0-Screen_Shot_2020-02-01_at_12.27.02_PM.png

Sauser was ISU's first 2021 football recruit

The allegations in the Jacob Remsburg gambling case​

Remsburg admitted to wagering at least $1,108, including placing bets on other NCAA events, but not Iowa State football. No specifics were given about the nature of the other "NCAA-sanctioned events" Remsburg bet on.

Newly introduced NCAA gambling rules stipulate a loss of 50% of eligibility for a single season for betting on another school in the same sport that a student-athlete plays in.

Remsburg has been suspended six games by the NCAA, a source with direct knowledge of the situation told the Des Moines Register on Sept. 1.

bb43995b-69a4-498a-b44b-dc4280e8e945-ISUMediaDay_10.jpg

Remsburg during Media Day on Aug 2, 2022

The allegations in the Aaron Blom gambling case​

In Blom’s guilty plea, he admitted placing a $40 wager on a Jan. 28, 2021, men’s college basketball game between Texas Christian University and Kansas while he was under the legal gambling age. Kansas won the game, 59-51.

Blom was also accused of placing wagers on an estimated eight University of Iowa events, including the 2021 Cy-Hawk game, in which he did not participate.

Blom turned 21, Iowa's legal gambling age, in September 2022. He was the second-string kicker last year as a nonscholarship athlete.

Blom was accused of making 170 mobile wagers through a DraftKings account "controlled by Aaron Blom" from Jan. 28, 2021, to Feb. 22, 2022, in Johnson County, totaling more than $4,400.

Blom saw limited action in 2022, missing a game-tying field goal as time expired in the matchup with Iowa State, giving ISU the 10-7 victory in Iowa City.

b424591a-8fe7-48c8-9c95-3f43cee39206-220910-ISU_Iowa_fb-036.JPG

Bloom kicks the PAT during the Sep 10, 2022 game vs ISU at Kinnick Stadium.

The allegations in the Gehrig Christensen gambling case​

Christensen, 20, pleaded guilty to placing an underage sports wager “on or about” Nov. 7, 2022. He was accused of making wagers through Feb. 23, 2023, as a member of the Iowa baseball team. Most of his wagers, Christensen told investigators, were placed on NBA games.

His lawyers had previously argued Christensen placed bets as early as Aug. 7, 2022, saying the charges filed by the Department of Criminal Investigation were beyond the one-year statute of limitations for simple misdemeanors. Christensen agreed to drop that defense to reach a plea deal.

Christensen, a Des Moines-area native, was accused of operating a “scheme” with his mother, hiding his identity by placing wagers in his mother’s name and making it seem as if she was placing the bets. The DraftKings account under Christensen’s mother’s name placed more than 550 bets totaling more than $2,400, documents filed in Johnson County court alleged.

Court documents allege Christensen made wagers with his mother’s consent, and she allegedly helped set up the account. She said it was “a silly mistake” to register the account for her son’s use, according to court documents. Christensen's mother was not charged with a crime.

Christensen announced his retirement from baseball on June 8 on Instagram. He is not listed on the current Iowa baseball roster but still maintains an Iowa City address and attends the UI, according to court filings.

39a82e8c-918e-42b2-ad99-34a594b48ef0-230228-Loras_Iowa_bsb-025.JPG

Christensen during a baseball game vs Loras on Feb 28, 2023 in Iowa City

Brandon Hurley, Randy Peterson and Travis Hines contributed reporting.

Ryan Hansen covers local government and crime for the Press-Citizen. He can be reached at
rhansen@press-citizen.com or on X, formerly known as Twitter, @ryanhansen01.

Report from Keith Murphy of WHO:

Current Cylones Hunter Dekkers and Jake Remsburg, plus former Cyclone Dodge Sauser (now at Iowa Central) agree to a plea deal. They plead guilty to reduced charges of underage gambling, which carries a fine of $645 (e.g. like a speeding ticket). This ends the legal consequences for the three. The state is dropping other charges. This is separate from NCAA consequences, though can’t hurt, and could help.

Statement from Weinhardt Law Firm:

F5XOnq6W8AAHbfH

Did someone go rogue?

Van Plumb, attorney for former Cyclone Eyioma Uwazurike, filed a second discovery motion.

“The Defendant believes, based upon the forgoing, that either an Agent of the Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission or Department of Criminal Investigation used the Gaming Commission’s GeoComply software to target male athletes at Iowa and Iowa State in 4 of the men’s programs for a reason yet to be known. The Agent or Agents did not follow the rules as set out by the Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission in reporting their activity nor did they follow the Terms of Use established by GeoComply for use of their software.

“GeoComply was in fact used to obtain personal data that should have required a warrant and such use of GeoComply to obtain personal data was a violation of their rights. The State’s actions, whether intentional or not, have villainized the targeted young men for making young men mistakes.

“These young men have been held to account and have held themselves accountable to the NCAA and NFL for their actions, actions as argued by the Defendant, with the exception of underage gambling, are not violations of Iowa Law.

“Iowa Racing and Gaming as well the Iowa Department of Criminal Investigation are not codified enforcement agencies for the NCAA or the NFL. But, they are State of Iowa Enforcement Agencies governed by their own set of rules and procedures, with such rules and procedures appearing to have been violated from the evidence supplied to the Defendant as of this date. The Defendant is requesting the additional information so that the agents, as grown-trained members of our state agencies, can also be held accountable if they have in fact violated these young men’s rights or broken the rules established for them to ensure equal protection to all Iowans.”

Source:

• Haha

From the story:

“That led DCI to pursue warrants to search the phones of the athletes suspected to have made wagers on the accounts. But authorities didn’t seek the warrants in Story or Johnson counties, where the universities are located. Instead, they obtained the warrants in Pottawattamie County, which is 150 miles away from Iowa State and more than 200 miles away from Iowa. DCI declined to explain why it obtained the warrants in Pottawattamie County.”

Since the info in the tweet below gets cut off:

DeShawn Hanika's new attorney, Van Plumb (also reps Eyioma Uwazurike), says the Cyclone tight end is not interested in a plea deal. Plumb filed a 10-page motion Monday. Not a light read, but among interesting excerpts:

"Counsel has verified… On February 8, 2023, a Dubuque County Prosecutor made application for and was granted authority to issue a subpoena to FanDuel Group requesting account information in regard to 71 GeoComply Usernames, without listing how the usernames were obtained…This date and statement create two problems for the State.

"The first problem is that IAC 13.2(7)(d) requires the Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission be notified promptly of any suspicious activity and Section 13.2(7)(e) requires that they be notified within 72 hours of criminal activity. The Commission responded to an open records request by stating “The Commission does not have any written notifications or reports of this nature prior to May of 2023. The records we do have would have been received after that date and would be considered confidential pursuant to Iowa Code 99F.12(4)”. The fact that the Commission’s license was used to obtain data prior to February 8, 2023, yet no reports were filed until approximately 3 months later is a violation of the code sections sited above.

"The second problem is that on February 8, 2023, an Agent had already obtained 71 GeoComply Usernames yet the first subpoena issued to GeoComply was on May 18, 2023. The Agent had, obviously, already used GeoComply software which meant he/she also had access to location data, customer verification data including facial recognition, data verification, and phone identification verification. The Agent also would have been able to use the GeoComply software to build a GeoFence around targeted areas to obtain date from every citizen within that geographic area.

"A further complicating factor for the State is that the University of Iowa issued a press release on May 2, 2023, 16 days before the first subpoena to GeoComply, that a sports wagering investigation was underway involving 111 individuals, 26 of which were current student athletes. This press release begs the question, if the targeted individuals used someone else’s betting application, how had the Agent identified them prior to issuing a subpoena to GeoComply unless he/she had already been using GeoComply’s software… Also, if the Agent used GeoComply Software for a criminal investigation the Commission would have had to secure written consent from GeoComply prior to such use pursuant to the terms and conditions imposed upon them by GeoComply, yet no written consent has been provided even though it was requested in State v. Uwazerike. In fact, the State has taken the position that they are not required to provide any information as it relates to how the investigation started, how the targets were identified, whether reports or notices were filed with the Commission pursuant to the IAC, verification of the terms of use the Commission was bound by in using GeoComply Software, all subpoenas, or communications related to the investigation."

Since the info in the tweet below gets cut off:

DeShawn Hanika's new attorney, Van Plumb (also reps Eyioma Uwazurike), says the Cyclone tight end is not interested in a plea deal. Plumb filed a 10-page motion Monday. Not a light read, but among interesting excerpts:

"Counsel has verified… On February 8, 2023, a Dubuque County Prosecutor made application for and was granted authority to issue a subpoena to FanDuel Group requesting account information in regard to 71 GeoComply Usernames, without listing how the usernames were obtained…This date and statement create two problems for the State.

"The first problem is that IAC 13.2(7)(d) requires the Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission be notified promptly of any suspicious activity and Section 13.2(7)(e) requires that they be notified within 72 hours of criminal activity. The Commission responded to an open records request by stating “The Commission does not have any written notifications or reports of this nature prior to May of 2023. The records we do have would have been received after that date and would be considered confidential pursuant to Iowa Code 99F.12(4)”. The fact that the Commission’s license was used to obtain data prior to February 8, 2023, yet no reports were filed until approximately 3 months later is a violation of the code sections sited above.

"The second problem is that on February 8, 2023, an Agent had already obtained 71 GeoComply Usernames yet the first subpoena issued to GeoComply was on May 18, 2023. The Agent had, obviously, already used GeoComply software which meant he/she also had access to location data, customer verification data including facial recognition, data verification, and phone identification verification. The Agent also would have been able to use the GeoComply software to build a GeoFence around targeted areas to obtain date from every citizen within that geographic area.

"A further complicating factor for the State is that the University of Iowa issued a press release on May 2, 2023, 16 days before the first subpoena to GeoComply, that a sports wagering investigation was underway involving 111 individuals, 26 of which were current student athletes. This press release begs the question, if the targeted individuals used someone else’s betting application, how had the Agent identified them prior to issuing a subpoena to GeoComply unless he/she had already been using GeoComply’s software… Also, if the Agent used GeoComply Software for a criminal investigation the Commission would have had to secure written consent from GeoComply prior to such use pursuant to the terms and conditions imposed upon them by GeoComply, yet no written consent has been provided even though it was requested in State v. Uwazerike. In fact, the State has taken the position that they are not required to provide any information as it relates to how the investigation started, how the targets were identified, whether reports or notices were filed with the Commission pursuant to the IAC, verification of the terms of use the Commission was bound by in using GeoComply Software, all subpoenas, or communications related to the investigation."

Arland Bruce, Ahron Ulis among four ex-Hawkeyes to plead guilty to reduced underage gambling charge

Ryan Hansen
Iowa City Press-Citizen
Sep 18, 2023

Four former University of Iowa athletes have pleaded guilty to underage gambling, the latest development in the state’s investigation of collegiate athletes.

The former Hawkeyes include football players Jack Johnson, Arland Bruce IV and Reggie Bracy and basketball player Ahron Ulis.

Each was first charged with tampering with records in early August as part of the state's sports gambling investigation. That charge is an aggravated misdemeanor that could have carried a two-year prison sentence if found guilty. Instead, the tampering charges were dismissed and each of the guilty parties will pay a $645 scheduled fine for underage gambling.

The guilty pleas came less than two weeks after five other athletes, including Iowa State quarterback Hunter Dekkers, also pleaded guilty to underage gambling after initially being charged with tampering with records.

There will not be any additional charges filed against these four athletes or anyone who helped facilitate the underage gambling, according to the pleas.

Under NCAA rules, athletes are permanently ineligible if they are found to have placed wagers on sporting events that involve their school. NCAA gambling rules also stipulate a loss of 50% of eligibility for a single season for betting on another school in the same sport that a student-athlete plays in.

Three of the four Hawkeyes who entered guilty pleas transferred after last season

Bruce, Bracy and Ulis all transferred from the University of Iowa after last season.

Bruce transferred to Oklahoma State in the spring and did not see game action before allegations of illegal gambling came to light. Oklahoma State football coach Mike Gundy confirmed that Bruce was away from the team in mid-August, weeks before the Cowboys made their season debut.

In the initial complaint, Bruce was said to have placed 18 wagers on 11 Hawkeye football games that he participated in.

Bruce is specifically alleged to have placed two “under” bets in 2022, first in Iowa’s 33-13 victory over Northwestern in October, a game in which Bruce tallied 2 catches for 19 yards and rushed 3 times for 27 yards and a touchdown. It was just the second career touchdown for Bruce in his two years as a Hawkeye. The over/under was set at 37.5 total points.

He also placed an “under” bet in the Hawkeyes’ 21-0 victory over Kentucky in the Music City Bowl this past New Year's Eve but did not participate in the game. The total closed at 31.5 at kickoff.

Bruce used a DraftKings account in his father’s name to place bets. Bruce will turn 21 on Sept. 26.

Bracy, a defensive back, transferred to Troy in the offseason, announcing his intention to leave last December, just days after Bruce. He was also suspended by Troy once charges were brought against him in Johnson County District Court in August.

“Reggie Bracy has been suspended from all team-related activity in response to allegations of his conduct while he was a student-athlete at another institution,” Troy said in a statement. “We will have no further comment at this time.”

Bracy was originally alleged to have shared the DraftKings account registered under Bruce’s father’s name with Bruce. In his guilty plea, he admitted to placing wagers while underage. He turned 21 on Nov. 6, 2022.

Ulis made his way west to Nebraska after his third season with the Hawkeyes. Court documents alleged that Ulis placed more than 430 bets on NCAA football and basketball games, including at least one University of Iowa football game. His wagers allegedly totaled more than $34,800. Ulis turned 21 on Oct. 4, 2022.

Johnson was alleged to have placed around 380 bets totaling over $1,800. He pleaded guilty to the same charges and admitted to placing wagers on a DraftKings account in his mother’s name. He turned 21 on June 15, 2022.

Ryan Hansen covers local government and crime for the Press-Citizen. He can be reached at rhansen@press-citizen.com or on X, formerly known as Twitter, @ryanhansen01.

In case the quote gets cut off:

Iowa football player Jermari Harris on his suspension due to involvement in gambling investigation:

“A situation that I deeply regret. It was a mistake that I made. I have acknowledged it and trying to move forward. Learn from any lesson, every lesson. It was a mistake. In my --- well, today makes 23 years --- 23 years of life, I’ve made plenty of mistakes. I’m sure I will make a lot more. But the key is acknowledging it and finding a way to be better.”

Too late for the Iowa baseball team (ie, last season) but this could allow Noah Shannon (defensive lineman starter) and several Iowa wrestlers to return this season.

The NCAA is reexamining the penalties that current athletes face for betting on sports — but not their own team. Here's what they're considering moving toward:

F7nJseaWUAABElW

Source:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT