ADVERTISEMENT

Updates on Team. Per Fran, Connor is 6th Man. Starters are Joe, JBO, Patrick, Keegan, Filip.

Whether fair or not, this is the season I think Patrick needs to step up his game and be a consistent double digit scorer. He's a Junior now and presumably healthy. The clock is ticking on his career.
Are you implying that Patrick's career has been a bust to this point? I though the he played fantastic last year with what he was asked to do. Not sure his his first year even counts. Wouldn't he still have 3 years eligibility left because of a redshirt his first year?

Whether fair or not, this is the season I think Patrick needs to step up his game and be a consistent double digit scorer. He's a Junior now and presumably healthy. The clock is ticking on his career.

Are you implying that Patrick's career has been a bust to this point? I though the he played fantastic last year with what he was asked to do. Not sure his his first year even counts. Wouldn't he still have 3 years eligibility left because of a redshirt his first year?
Judging him as a junior is not only harsh but wrong. He has at least 3 years of eligibility left, and a 4th if he wants it. He was out (medical) his first year - played sparingly in 2 games before health issues knocked him out for the year, very little practice time. His second year was during the pandemic so he has that year, too, but practices and contact was somewhat limited. He is considered a redshirt sophomore.

Patrick totally needs to be in double digits scoring average. As does Keegan, JBo and Rebraca. We need multiple scoring threats and if Keegan is the only guy we can count on for 10 or more points per game, we are in big, big trouble.

I would just about guarantee they have multiple players at or near 10ppg. The last time they didn't have multiple double digit scorers AND at least 1 other at or above 9ppg was White's Sr year. They have 3-4 guys capable of scoring 10+ given the opportunity. Rebraca, Keegan and JBo being the most obvious.

He probably has 4 years left after a red shirt and a Covid year.

Reactions: BBHawk
Judging him as a junior is not only harsh but wrong. He has at least 3 years of eligibility left, and a 4th if he wants it. He was out (medical) his first year - played sparingly in 2 games before health issues knocked him out for the year, very little practice time. His second year was during the pandemic so he has that year, too, but practices and contact was somewhat limited. He is considered a redshirt sophomore.

Yeah, Patrick is scheduled to "be done" in 2024 (3 years from now) but, like you said, he could play an additional year because of the free covid year and be done when Payton Sandfort & Riley Mulvey are done. Think about that for a sec.

We have some pretty old/veteran guys on the roster, that's for sure.

Current Roster (12 currently on scholarship; 1 on the "Free" Covid-19 Year):

2025 (when scheduled to graduate): 2 players

6'7" F Payton Sandfort (***)

6'11" C Riley Mulvey (***)

2024 (when scheduled to graduate): 6 players

6'11" C Josh Ogundele (***)

6'4" G Tony Perkins (***)

6'2" G Ahron Ulis (***)

6'8" F Keegan Murray (Not Rated)

6'8" F Kris Murray (Not Rated)

6'9" SF Patrick McCaffery (****); on May 29, 2020, Patrick received approval for a medical hardship after playing in just 2 games in the 2019-2020 season, giving him 4 years of college eligibility (through 2024).

2023 (when scheduled to graduate): 2 players

5'10" PG Joe Toussaint (***)

6'9" SF Filip Rebraca; on April 22, 2021, Filip, who was a Junior at that time, announced he was transferring from North Dakota to Iowa. Filip played 3 years at ND but will have 2 years eligibility remaining at Iowa due to the covid-19 free year that all 2020-2021 athletes were given.

2022 (when scheduled to graduate): 3 players

6'0" PG Jordan Bohannon (***); was originally scheduled to graduate in 2020; had surgery on his right hip in May 2019; appeared in only 10 games in 2019; on December 19, 2019 he underwent surgery on his left hip (6-9 month recovery period); applied for a medical hardship and for one more year of eligibility. On May 12, 2020, Jordan was granted another year of eligibility (medical hardship waiver). On April 26, 2021, Jordan announced that he was returning to Iowa for a sixth season (the 2020-2021 season was ruled a "free year" by the NCAA due to covid-19 uncertainties; in March, 2021, Jordan had planned on being done. Instead, he had a change of heart & decided to come back for ONE FINAL YEAR).

6'5" G/F Connor McCaffery (****); announced on Apr 28, 2017 that he will play baseball in the Spring of 2018 and redshirt in basketball in the fall of 2017; ended up, however, playing in 4 games in Dec 2017 as a true freshman, mostly because of the Christian Williams departure. However, after missing two games due to a sprained ankle, eight contests due to mononucleosis, and 19 games after undergoing a tonsillectomy in December, 2017, he was granted a hardship waiver on March 26, 2018, where he will have 4 years of basketball eligibility remaining; on April 11, 2018, Connor was put on scholarship.

6'2" Guard Austin Ash was a walk on and only appeared in mop up duty. On March 25, 2021, he entered the Transfer Portal. On April 29, 2021, it was announced that Austin would be returning to Iowa for 1 more year and that he was on scholarship.

Notable Walk on players:

2025 (when scheduled to graduate): 2 players

Luc Laketa--a 2021 6'6" wing/forward; on May 13, 2021, it was announced he would be joining the roster as a preferred walk on.

Carter Kingsbury--a 2021 6'5", 230 lb shooting guard; on July 10, 2021, it was announced he would be joining the roster as a preferred walk on.

Reactions: perryhawk
He is not healthy. He's been very limited in practice for over a month due to having 2 sprained ankles.
You know that's not what I was referring to. Patrick fought a courageous battle against cancer and by all accounts, he beat it. I simply meant that he is now 21 years old and a veteran of the program. I expect him to step up and become one of the scoring leaders on a team that will apparently have to have several players fill the shoes of Luka and Joe to be successful.
It may happen, but I don't expect Patrick to be a 25 year old senior playing for the Hawks.

Last season I think everyone became aware of just how surprisingly athletic Patrick is,.. This year he needs to demonstrate that he also has a mind for the game...

• Wow
Last season I think everyone became aware of just how surprisingly athletic Patrick is,.. This year he needs to demonstrate that he also has a mind for the game...
Interesting......why would you think he doesn't? I am guessing he has demonstrated that he has a mind for the game in every step of his career. In the playing time he got last year I didn't see a demonstration of not having a mind for the game, did you?

And we became aware of just how bad if a shooter he can be. Not sure who was worse, Perkins or PMac. Hopefully they've worked on it. We don't have Joe W to bail us out anymore. Teams have figured out that pressuring Grandpa Twitter (JBo) pretty much stifles him.

Interesting......why would you think he doesn't? I am guessing he has demonstrated that he has a mind for the game in every step of his career. In the playing time he got last year I didn't see a demonstration of not having a mind for the game, did you?

Yes actually,.. Patrick's game to this point has mostly been about his athletic ability and getting to the hoop in situations where you wouldn't think it was humanly possible to get there,.. He hasn't really demonstrated himself to be a particularly great shooter, defender or assist, all of which require more than just raw physical talent,.. So I'm hoping he shows growth in these areas..

Last edited:
And we became aware of just how bad if a shooter he can be. Not sure who was worse, Perkins or PMac. Hopefully they've worked on it. We don't have Joe W to bail us out anymore. Teams have figured out that pressuring Grandpa Twitter (JBo) pretty much stifles him.
Both Perkins and PMac shot the 3 at a better percentage than Keagan Murray. For all 3, it was their first year. All 3 each shot a much better percentage in HS. Give them time and the game will slow down for them.

Keagan shot 38% from 3 at DME, while Kris shot 31% using the college 3 point line I believe. It appears that in practice Kris may be shooting better than Keagan from 3 but both can shoot is fairly well.

I couldn't find Patrick's 3 point percentage at Iowa City West and it may not apply due to the deeper college line. I think Connor in particular has suffered from the deeper 3 point line as he shot a good 3 point percentage his last year of high school but his shot mechanics make me believe the deeper line in college has caused the drop off. Patrick also has some mechanics issues but I think can hit the 3 at a decent clip.

Comments from coaches make me believe that Keagan may be a 35% shooter from 3 while Kris can hit it closer to 40% (game percentages). Patrick may sit somewhere between the two. Perkins may be in the 30-35% area as I get the sense he will be more of a penetrator at the college level, and he's good at it. Sandfort should be in that 40-45% range.

Patrick really matured over the course of last season in his decision making. He seemed to force shots and force penetration early in the season, but by tournament time he was making great decisions and attacked at the right time. I think he'll be able to use his length to get into the paint and then be able to pass to teammates from there or use his runner to finish. Keagan was able to drive or post last season but often a physical defender would get him off balance so he couldn't finish. I'm guessing his added strength and length this season will get him past that and he will finish a lot more (hoping he added a baby hook). Kris should bring a lot of the same skills just in a different mix of use.

Perkins to me is a great wild card because this team could use a guy who can drive and create defensive rotation issues and he's just that guy. I think he's much better in the paint than Ulis or Touisant or Bohannon and he's very good in transition as well. Look forward to see what he can do for us.

Add in Rebraca with a mix of inside out skills and we've got a lot of ways to slice you up and our offense is just the right tool to do that with.

Defensively I love what Keegan and Kris can do in terms of rim protection and defensive rotations, and Patrick's length along with Touisant and Perkins quickness will help us be better on that end even if we lack a traditional rim protector (assuming Mulvey doesn't play a ton). Will be interesting to see Rebraca's defense, but he seems to move well. We will be suceptible to the big post guys, though.

Reactions: perryhawk
Keagan shot 38% from 3 at DME, while Kris shot 31% using the college 3 point line I believe. It appears that in practice Kris may be shooting better than Keagan from 3 but both can shoot is fairly well.

I couldn't find Patrick's 3 point percentage at Iowa City West and it may not apply due to the deeper college line. I think Connor in particular has suffered from the deeper 3 point line as he shot a good 3 point percentage his last year of high school but his shot mechanics make me believe the deeper line in college has caused the drop off. Patrick also has some mechanics issues but I think can hit the 3 at a decent clip.

Comments from coaches make me believe that Keagan may be a 35% shooter from 3 while Kris can hit it closer to 40% (game percentages). Patrick may sit somewhere between the two. Perkins may be in the 30-35% area as I get the sense he will be more of a penetrator at the college level, and he's good at it. Sandfort should be in that 40-45% range.

Patrick really matured over the course of last season in his decision making. He seemed to force shots and force penetration early in the season, but by tournament time he was making great decisions and attacked at the right time. I think he'll be able to use his length to get into the paint and then be able to pass to teammates from there or use his runner to finish. Keagan was able to drive or post last season but often a physical defender would get him off balance so he couldn't finish. I'm guessing his added strength and length this season will get him past that and he will finish a lot more (hoping he added a baby hook). Kris should bring a lot of the same skills just in a different mix of use.

Perkins to me is a great wild card because this team could use a guy who can drive and create defensive rotation issues and he's just that guy. I think he's much better in the paint than Ulis or Touisant or Bohannon and he's very good in transition as well. Look forward to see what he can do for us.

Add in Rebraca with a mix of inside out skills and we've got a lot of ways to slice you up and our offense is just the right tool to do that with.

Defensively I love what Keegan and Kris can do in terms of rim protection and defensive rotations, and Patrick's length along with Touisant and Perkins quickness will help us be better on that end even if we lack a traditional rim protector (assuming Mulvey doesn't play a ton). Will be interesting to see Rebraca's defense, but he seems to move well. We will be suceptible to the big post guys, though.

Patrick was 24/53 (45.3%) from 3 his Sr year at West.

I watched last year's Iowa at NW game last night. I got to see some extended minutes from guys who will be starters and/or regular rotation players.

Patrick, in that game, was good defensively as he blocked some shots of jump shooters on the perimeter.

Another item that stood out to me, was A Ulis free throw shooting...very smooth, very clean, textbook form. I don't know what he shot for a percentage for the year but I'm guessing it was pretty good. I think this young man will be a real asset this year.

Yes actually,.. Patrick's game to this point has mostly been about his athletic ability and getting to the hoop in situations where you wouldn't think it was humanly possible to get there,.. He hasn't really demonstrated himself to be a particularly great shooter, defender or assist, all of which require more than just raw physical talent,.. So I'm hoping he shows growth in these areas..

I have said it before and I will say it again. My worries are mostly with shooting, especially the 3 ball. Look at who we lost: Garza, Weezy, and CJ, all deadly from 3. JBo is our only proven 3 point shooting commodity returning this season.

Several have mentioned that this year's team is more athletic & will play better D. But, how many seasons under Fran can you say that Iowa played REALLY good D? One?

There are just so many unknowns going into the season.

I watched last year's Iowa at NW game last night. I got to see some extended minutes from guys who will be starters and/or regular rotation players.

Patrick, in that game, was good defensively as he blocked some shots of jump shooters on the perimeter.

Another item that stood out to me, was A Ulis free throw shooting...very smooth, very clean, textbook form. I don't know what he shot for a percentage for the year but I'm guessing it was pretty good. I think this young man will be a real asset this year.
Well I checked and Ulis only had 6 free throw attempts last year....he made 5 of the 6. Not a lot to make a judgement on, but his shooting form looked really good. It leads me to believe that he has spent a lot of time successfully practicing FTs because not only was his form/ mechanics textbook but it appears to be very smooth.

I have said it before and I will say it again. My worries are mostly with shooting, especially the 3 ball. Look at who we lost: Garza, Weezy, and CJ, all deadly from 3. JBo is our only proven 3 point shooting commodity returning this season.

Several have mentioned that this year's team is more athletic & will play better D. But, how many seasons under Fran can you say that Iowa played REALLY good D? One?

There are just so many unknowns going into the season.
I don't see Sandfort mentioned much, but I think he's supposed to be a good 3 point shooter

keegan shot 30 % last year from 3, perkins 33%, Patrick 30%. Ulis only took 3 shots from 3 and missed all. That is why I am hoping Sandford is over 40. Someone that can take some pressure of JBo and the interior guys.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
keegan shot 30 % last year from 3, perkins 33%, Patrick 30%. Ulis only took 3 shots from 3 and missed all. That is why I am hoping Sandford is over 40. Someone that can take some pressure of JBo and the interior guys.
Sandfort has a really nice looking shot. I see him getting up to 15 minutes a game just because he is a shooter and we’re going to need someone besides JBo to keep the defense honest.

emoji-emojis.gif

I'd put more hope in our soph's and redshirt soph making a natural progression in 3 point shooting, than for Sandfort to come in and shoot 40+%. For most freshmen there's an adjustment to the speed of the game in college, and it's reflected in shooting %'s. Pemsl was an exception.

I think Ulis' shooting will surprise people if Dr's were able to fix a lingering HS injury. If the workout video with Tyler was any indication, he's not afraid to practice sharpening his skills with advanced drills.

I'd put more hope in our soph's and redshirt soph making a natural progression in 3 point shooting, than for Sandfort to come in and shoot 40+%. For most freshmen there's an adjustment to the speed of the game in college, and it's reflected in shooting %'s. Pemsl was an exception.

I think Ulis' shooting will surprise people if Dr's were able to fix a lingering HS injury. If the workout video with Tyler was any indication, he's not afraid to practice sharpening his skills with advanced drills.
I know it is not usual at Iowa, but it didn't take JBO past his freshman year.

I know it is not usual at Iowa, but it didn't take JBO past his freshman year.

Until games start, we really have no idea how good this Iowa team can potentially be. but then again, the first 7 games on our schedule are cupcakes. The first real tests will not be until this 4 game stretch: Nov 29 at Virginia, Dec 8 at Purdue, Dec 6 vs Illinois and Dec 9 at Clown U.

we have heard from Fran & the players on how things look; we have seen very limited video; and we have seen some practice pictures. that's about it.

Well I checked and Ulis only had 6 free throw attempts last year....he made 5 of the 6. Not a lot to make a judgement on, but his shooting form looked really good. It leads me to believe that he has spent a lot of time successfully practicing FTs because not only was his form/ mechanics textbook but it appears to be very smooth.
Ulis 18-20 from line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT