ADVERTISEMENT

Updates on Team. Per Fran, Connor is 6th Man. Starters are Joe, JBO, Patrick, Keegan, Filip.

No, last season was Fran's most athletic team. Almost all the athleticism that will be enjoyed this season was on the roster last season.

It just that much of it wasn't used, or wasn't used correctly. Plus there were two NBA players, and CJF, who to me, was the best Hawkeye 3-baller of all time when healthy. Last season's team did not come close rounding out or maxing out, imo.

Good news is, as for players that are actually getting meaningful minutes, this season will be the most athletic team

I have an insider. The key will be can the players play in games like they are practicing. In practice both Murrays and young McCaffery are much improved. Rebaca and the two freshman have been impressive. Perkins has improved his game. Josh Ogundele has been working on his jump shot and is trimmed down. I also worry about the defense!
If you get a chance....any little tidbit about how the Joe and AU are playing would be appreciated.....adequate PG play should help this team immensely.

Reactions: Fitzhawk
I have an insider. The key will be can the players play in games like they are practicing. In practice both Murrays and young McCaffery are much improved. Rebaca and the two freshman have been impressive. Perkins has improved his game. Josh Ogundele has been working on his jump shot and is trimmed down. I also worry about the defense!
I’m with you, trending towards optimism. I realize many of our key roster contributors are short on experience but their upside is high. Because of our youth, I’ll expect some bumps in the road but I do feel like this squad should be competitive in the conference and with some breaks and development along the way, making the dance is a possibility.

Reactions: perryhawk
Bring back Lickliter!!!!

;)

SWYNA-1518819458-11429-list_items-2_spit-take-i-love-lucy.gif

Reactions: mstp1992 and BBHawk
Here is 21 minutes of Video Coverage from Today's Media Day.

The first 8 minutes is Iowa women. The last 13 minutes is Fran/JBo/Connor.

Enjoy.

Watch Here:

Sounds like a lot of small ball. 3 6'9" guys on the court at the same time. How I would love to have been a small 6'9" in college. We'll score, can we defend.......

I feel VERY confident about the players getting minutes this season, with the exception of Joe T or Ulis at PG. Have ZERO idea if they can play EFFICIENT basketball. Worst case Connor can play PG, and assuming he is healthy, that would be the "floor" of what we'd get from the position. Joe T was by far the least efficient offensive player last season, so would need to make SIGNIFICANT strides in decision making for the team to reach it's efficiency goals. His Offensive Box Plus / Minus was -1.5 last season compared to an average college player. This is hard to do when the team itself was the 2nd most efficient in the country on offense. Connor was the only other negative player at -0.6. Luka led Iowa at 11.9. In defensive Box Plus / Minus Joe T tied for 6th on the team among players with over 100 minutes, so he didn't make up much ground on the defensive end either. Ulis is just an unknown.

The rest of the team, though, I think will be very surprising to the rest of the B10 and the prognosticators who have us near the bottom. So much skill, length and athleticism among Keegan, Kris, Patrick, Perkins, Rebraca and Bohannon (minus the defense) that we can do a ton with lineups and defenses. Should be a ton of mismatches we can create.

I feel like Mulvey and Sandfort can be very effective in narrow, situational roles and that even Ogundele can be given a role if time allows. But the burden is really on the PG position - can they be efficient with the ball and run the offense like Fran intends, and keep defenses honest by hitting enough from 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: easy2
How about Filip Rebraca, Keegan, Kris, and Patrick on the court at the same time, bet we see that this season....
Finally getting around to watching the DVR recording. Fran did mention he thinks the twins could guard guys in the backcourt. Kenyon already mentioned Kris at the 2 as a possibility. So something to keep an eye on. Could be either a failed experiment or something that makes Iowa unique.

Keegan is getting NBA looks in part because of his fluidity. Don’t want to assume Kris has the same athletic ability, but it’s very rare for Iowa to have one of those kind of guys. Never mind two. Have to take advantage while both are still here.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I feel VERY confident about the players getting minutes this season, with the exception of Joe T or Ulis at PG. Have ZERO idea if they can play EFFICIENT basketball. Worst case Connor can play PG, and assuming he is healthy, that would be the "floor" of what we'd get from the position. Joe T was by far the least efficient offensive player last season, so would need to make SIGNIFICANT strides in decision making for the team to reach it's efficiency goals. His Offensive Box Plus / Minus was -1.5 last season compared to an average college player. This is hard to do when the team itself was the 2nd most efficient in the country on offense. Connor was the only other negative player at -0.6. Luka led Iowa at 11.9. In defensive Box Plus / Minus Joe T tied for 6th on the team among players with over 100 minutes, so he didn't make up much ground on the defensive end either. Ulis is just an unknown.

The rest of the team, though, I think will be very surprising to the rest of the B10 and the prognosticators who have us near the bottom. So much skill, length and athleticism among Keegan, Kris, Patrick, Perkins, Rebraca and Bohannon (minus the defense) that we can do a ton with lineups and defenses. Should be a ton of mismatches we can create.

I feel like Mulvey and Sandfort can be very effective in narrow, situational roles and that even Ogundele can be given a role if time allows. But the burden is really on the PG position - can they be efficient with the ball and run the offense like Fran intends, and keep defenses honest by hitting enough from 3.
Your PG discussion is probably why I’m really high on this team. I loved Ulis in the limited minutes we saw. But you’re correct that he’s still unproven. Both him and Joe T still have to show they can lead a tournament level team. It’ll be an interesting year.

I’m with you on the PG topic…..obviously Joe has to get TOs under control and if he does, we should be at least adequate at that position. If he doesn’t my guess is that Ulis will take that spot over sometime early in the B10 schedule…The very limited time we’ve seen AU on the floor makes me think he can run the team efficiently…. But I’m not sure he can be dynamic like Joe can…

It makes me wonder if this isn’t THE KEY to why we have as many poor opponents as we do in the preconference schedule? Fran wants to work on the PG position and needs those types of games to build continuity and confidence, in games where mistakes hopefully won’t cause a loss.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT