ADVERTISEMENT

Updates on Team. Per Fran, Connor is 6th Man. Starters are Joe, JBO, Patrick, Keegan, Filip.

Nice Story from Rick Brown.

Ahron Ulis, Tony Perkins Ready for Increased Role

Iowa Basketball Sophomore Guards Should See Uptick in Playing Time
October 15, 2021

IOWA CITY, Iowa - Ahron Ulis and Tony Perkins are guards, roommates and Iowa basketball teammates.

Both saw limited action last season without the eligibility clock running. Perkins, 6-4, logged 148 minutes on the floor. Ulis, 6-3, totaled 119 minutes.

“It was definitely helpful to get them minutes,” Iowa Coach Fran McCaffery said. “And they got quality minutes. There were times when they didn’t play as much. We wanted the veteran guys. But it was one of the advantages, quite honestly, of last year because nobody had to redshirt. Maybe one of those guys and Kris (Murray) or something like that. But at least we were able to maintain their eligibility and play them where we needed them.”

Despite their little playing time, McCaffery loved the competitiveness Ulis and Perkins brought to practice and games. Now, both are expected to be valuable contributors this season. “And they’re both playing at a very high confidence level,” McCaffery said. The minutes should be there for Ulis and Perkins to show what they can do. “Tony’s going to have a big season,” Ulis predicted. “He has a consistent jump shot, he’s a high flyer and he’s athletic. And he has a great pullup shot. He’s going to prove a lot.” Of Ulis, Perkins gives this scouting report.

“He has a great mid-range game,” Perkins said. “He’s good off ball screens. He’s a great defender and an athletic guard, too. He can shoot it pretty well.”

Ulis wasn’t at 100 percent last season. He played with a torn ligament in his right wrist, an injury that also bothered him as a senior at Marian Catholic High School in suburban Chicago. He had surgery in the off season and feels great. He’s also itching to contribute and help this team exceed preseason projections.

“I feel good about things, and I’m very excited,” Ulis said. “I’m playing a bigger role, and I like being on a bigger stage. I’m going out there to prove everyone wrong and compete every game.”

Perkins, from Lawrence North High School in Indianapolis, Ind., has his own lofty goals. “We’re going to get some minutes and take care of business,” he said. “Even if we don’t start, we’re going to make a great impact offensively and defensively.”

Though their minutes of experience were small last season, they were valuable. “I just feel like going into every season, if you have experience that’s always going to give you a head start above everyone else who is coming in,” Ulis said. “I just used it as a learning experience. I think it will help me go into the season more confident.”

Both players shined in their limited minutes last season. For Ulis, it was a game at Rutgers in early January. He played a season-high 14 minutes and 20 seconds. He had four assists, three rebounds and two points in a 77-75 victory.

“It was a great feeling,” Ulis said. “Some games, you’d go in there not knowing if you’d get in or not. My dad (James) and Coach McCaffery always told me to be ready, that my time would come. I felt like I went out there and really fought hard, and competed.”

Perkins played double-figure minutes in four of the last 13 games, and scored a season-high five points against Oregon in a second-round NCAA loss.

“It was good, being able to play in that type of big-time atmosphere,” Perkins said. Ulis and Perkins will be expected to bring on-ball defense with them to games this season. At the other end, Perkins hopes to show off his shooting touch.

“If I keep working on my outside game, it will open up the rest of my game even more,” he said.

Ulis has the luxury of leaning on his older brother, Tyler, who was a first-team all-American guard and SEC player of the year as a sophomore at Kentucky. A second-round pick in the 2016 NBA Draft by Phoenix, his professional career has been hampered by injuries. “I’ve seen him go through his whole career, the ups and downs,” Ahron said. “Seeing someone going through the process first hand motivates me every day. That’s who I work out with. He pushes me every day to work hard. He wants me to get to the same level he was at.”

I've had previous seasons when I had serious questions about what to expect from my Hawks, but this year it's a baffling mystery to me. I assume Keegan will be good, but how good? I know JBo will do his thing, but how many opportunities will he have? What will all the new guys, and I include Ulis and Perkins in this, bring to the table? Can't wait to get started.

Yes actually,.. Patrick's game to this point has mostly been about his athletic ability and getting to the hoop in situations where you wouldn't think it was humanly possible to get there,.. He hasn't really demonstrated himself to be a particularly great shooter, defender or assist, all of which require more than just raw physical talent,.. So I'm hoping he shows growth in these areas..
I have to disagree about his not proving his defensive ability. I think he uses his length/wingspan very effectively and has blocked shots inside and out.

I think he's an ok passer, but doesn't really need to be an assist man at his position.

It's definitely his outside shot that is still unproven. It's not just 3's, even his midrange jumpers are very inconsistent.

And Conner's even worse. Hopefully a lot of his rehab has consisted of shooting the ball.

Patrick will be very good - not concerned that he will be an impact player. I feel very good about Patrick, Keegan, Kris, Bohannon, Perkins and Rebraca. Its Joe T / Ulis that are huge wild cards for this team.

I don't think Patrick will be an elite 3 point shooter, but he is more than adequate, and he can get into the paint and use his length to score or pass. Won't be a great defensive rebounder due to being on the thin side, but a good offensive rebounder and defender with his length and ability to cover a wide area in a zone or shell man to man, or in the press.

Patrick is REALLY good in transition and with this year's group running more I think you'll see more of that. He showcased some of it down the stretch last year.

How many players can take their game to the next level consistently? If it isn’t 3 or more, we may struggle.

I've had previous seasons when I had serious questions about what to expect from my Hawks, but this year it's a baffling mystery to me. I assume Keegan will be good, but how good? I know JBo will do his thing, but how many opportunities will he have? What will all the new guys, and I include Ulis and Perkins in this, bring to the table? Can't wait to get started.

Would you say that 2016-2017 was #1 when it came to unknowns and this year would be #2?

We had Peter Jok returning but had these departures in March-May, 2016:

March -May, 2016: 6 players Graduated or Left Early:

PG Anthony Clemmons
PG Mike Gesell
C Adam Woodbury
SF Jarrod Uthoff (was originally a Class of 2011 Wisconsin commit; in June, 2012, Jarrod announced that he would transfer to Iowa to spend his next 4 years)

**Two players granted release in March 2016**

6'6" SG Andrew Fleming (***, was set to graduate in 2019)

6'6" SF Brandon Hutton (***; was redshirted in 2015-16; was set to graduate in 2020)

Would you say that 2016-2017 was #1 when it came to unknowns and this year would be #2?

We had Peter Jok returning but had these departures in March-May, 2016:

March -May, 2016: 6 players Graduated or Left Early:

PG Anthony Clemmons
PG Mike Gesell
C Adam Woodbury
SF Jarrod Uthoff (was originally a Class of 2011 Wisconsin commit; in June, 2012, Jarrod announced that he would transfer to Iowa to spend his next 4 years)

**Two players granted release in March 2016**

6'6" SG Andrew Fleming (***, was set to graduate in 2019)

6'6" SF Brandon Hutton (***; was redshirted in 2015-16; was set to graduate in 2020)
No. That team had 6 freshmen on it and 3 unproven sophomores. For seniors it had Jok and Dale Jones, with Uhl as the only junior. Baer was a freshman walk on and somewhat unknown. Too many unknowns and little experience for sure. And it was followed by one of McC's worst seasons. The poor recruiting for 2 years came back to haunt them.

This year is unique in that there may be the most basketball/physical talent on this team that understands the systems the coaching staff wants to implement. They aren't starting over like that 2016-2017 team had to. This team has basically 2 4+ year starters in JoBo and CMac, another coach's son/2nd year player in PMac, a junior part-time starter in Joe T, an all-freshmen forward in Keagan, an experienced journeyman center in Rebraca, then unproven but talented players in Big O, Tony P, and Ahron. I'd almost put Tony P and Ahron in a different group because they took opportunities to shine on the big stage, but the sample was too small to really know how well they'll do in a full season when counted on.
Throw in Mulvey, Sandfort pkus the 2 walkons and this is a deep team.

Hopefully the competition in practice and the pre-season will be enough to get them ready for the B1G.

I remember the '85 team when Marble, BJ, and Ed were freshmen. They played a cupcake pre big 10 schedule that year, just like this year. I was driving truck and listened to them on the radio, carving teams up and hearing Jim Zabel get so excited about how athletic that team was. Since then, for unknown teams like this. I really like the easy schedules to let teams like this get their feet under them. Yeah, their not experienced, but they have enough to be excited about. Can't wait for the season to begin, and watch them all get a chance against this easy schedule. That 85 team only went 10 and 8 in the Big that year, so I'm not to worried about where we finish this year. By the way one of the cupcakes we beat up on was some team called Gonzaga, and I remember saying what's a Gonzaga. I'd just like to see more defense and steady improvement . Something about this time of year makes me want my Hawkeye basketball, like a 6 year old wants to open his presents at Christmas. These games can't come to soon! It's great to be a Hawkeye!!!!!

Good Story on Joe T.

Joe Toussaint Comfortable Hunting

John Bohnenkamp
BY JOHN BOHNENKAMP
October 11, 2021

IOWA CITY, Iowa - It’s a mentality that Joe Toussaint has carried with him throughout his basketball career, and it came from the on-court environment he played in during his high school career in New York City.

“It’s kill or be killed,” the Iowa junior point guard said at Monday’s media day. “You’d rather be the hunter. You’ve got to go hunt.”

Toussaint has brought that kind of intensity to the Hawkeyes, but it’s just been a matter of harnessing that energy.

It’s what coach Fran McCaffery appreciates.

“I don't think his approach changed at all,” McCaffery said. “He is who he is. I mean, he's a killer. That's what you want. He goes after people defensively. He attacks the rim. He's constantly trying to beat whoever lines up in front of him. And sometimes as a point guard, you want them to, all right, back it off a little bit. But one of the reasons we recruited him was because of who he is.

“He's a warrior, that guy. And you never want to take that away from him.”

Toussaint’s role has alternated throughout his career, from a young freshman learning the college game to being put in the starting spot for the final 20 games of the 2019-20 season, to being a key piece off the bench last season.

There is a rockiness that can go with that, but Toussaint said that has made him a better player.

“I made so many mistakes my freshman year,” said Toussaint, who had 62 turnovers as a freshman but 45 last season. “My sophomore year was a learning experience too, watching from the bench. Now I feel like this is my time. I can show what I can do now.”

Toussaint had a 1.45 assist-to-turnover ratio as a freshman, 1.7 last season.

That, sixth-year senior guard Jordan Bohannon said, is the usual evolution for a point guard.

“I’ve been telling him that,” said Bohannon, Iowa’s all-time leader in assists who will move to the off-guard spot this season. “I was like, ‘It’s going to take time.’ My reading ability as a point guard took a while. Now, as a senior, you see my assist-to-turnover ratio increase for the better. That’s the same thing I see happening for Joe T.”

“I felt like my patience has gotten really, really, really better since I’ve been here,” Toussaint said. “I watch film on myself every day. Just the way I’m picking my spots, getting to where I need to go, using my speed when I need to use it, slowing down, changing speeds, coming off screens, reading the right plays — I just felt like everything has slowed down. I feel like I’m playing the game with my mind, instead of my physical attributes.”

Toussaint is constantly attacking a defense, something his teammates have learned to adjust to when he has the ball.

“It pushes the team,” center Josh Ogundele said. “Once he’s running, everyone’s running.”

“I’ve always enjoyed playing with a point guard like him,” Bohannon said. “He’s able to get into the paint, and find open guys. He’s very good at that. He’s starting to have his game settle down even more, where he’s able to make reads that he wasn’t able to make freshman or sophomore year.”

“He plays so hard,” McCaffery said, “he's going to command the respect of those around him.”

It’s Toussaint’s offense now.

“I’ve been waiting my turn for two years,” he said. “It’s a chance for me to play my game, prove myself.”

Good Story on Joe T.

Joe Toussaint Comfortable Hunting

John Bohnenkamp
BY JOHN BOHNENKAMP
October 11, 2021

IOWA CITY, Iowa - It’s a mentality that Joe Toussaint has carried with him throughout his basketball career, and it came from the on-court environment he played in during his high school career in New York City.

“It’s kill or be killed,” the Iowa junior point guard said at Monday’s media day. “You’d rather be the hunter. You’ve got to go hunt.”

Toussaint has brought that kind of intensity to the Hawkeyes, but it’s just been a matter of harnessing that energy.

It’s what coach Fran McCaffery appreciates.

“I don't think his approach changed at all,” McCaffery said. “He is who he is. I mean, he's a killer. That's what you want. He goes after people defensively. He attacks the rim. He's constantly trying to beat whoever lines up in front of him. And sometimes as a point guard, you want them to, all right, back it off a little bit. But one of the reasons we recruited him was because of who he is.

“He's a warrior, that guy. And you never want to take that away from him.”

Toussaint’s role has alternated throughout his career, from a young freshman learning the college game to being put in the starting spot for the final 20 games of the 2019-20 season, to being a key piece off the bench last season.

There is a rockiness that can go with that, but Toussaint said that has made him a better player.

“I made so many mistakes my freshman year,” said Toussaint, who had 62 turnovers as a freshman but 45 last season. “My sophomore year was a learning experience too, watching from the bench. Now I feel like this is my time. I can show what I can do now.”

Toussaint had a 1.45 assist-to-turnover ratio as a freshman, 1.7 last season.

That, sixth-year senior guard Jordan Bohannon said, is the usual evolution for a point guard.

“I’ve been telling him that,” said Bohannon, Iowa’s all-time leader in assists who will move to the off-guard spot this season. “I was like, ‘It’s going to take time.’ My reading ability as a point guard took a while. Now, as a senior, you see my assist-to-turnover ratio increase for the better. That’s the same thing I see happening for Joe T.”

“I felt like my patience has gotten really, really, really better since I’ve been here,” Toussaint said. “I watch film on myself every day. Just the way I’m picking my spots, getting to where I need to go, using my speed when I need to use it, slowing down, changing speeds, coming off screens, reading the right plays — I just felt like everything has slowed down. I feel like I’m playing the game with my mind, instead of my physical attributes.”

Toussaint is constantly attacking a defense, something his teammates have learned to adjust to when he has the ball.

“It pushes the team,” center Josh Ogundele said. “Once he’s running, everyone’s running.”

“I’ve always enjoyed playing with a point guard like him,” Bohannon said. “He’s able to get into the paint, and find open guys. He’s very good at that. He’s starting to have his game settle down even more, where he’s able to make reads that he wasn’t able to make freshman or sophomore year.”

“He plays so hard,” McCaffery said, “he's going to command the respect of those around him.”

It’s Toussaint’s offense now.

“I’ve been waiting my turn for two years,” he said. “It’s a chance for me to play my game, prove myself.”

I'm pulling for Joe to have a great year. I met him at Hy-Vee a few weeks ago and he couldn't have been a nicer guy.

I'm looking forward to the season, even though I don't have high expectations for performance.
It would be nice to see if they can find a better balance between the offensive and defensive ends of the floor than the team has had for the past few years. If they can get that team D efficiency rating into the 60-50 range and O efficiency in the 40-50 that wouldn't be a bad mix.
If they make the NCAA tourney I'd consider that a pretty good outcome for this group. More than than would be a bonus.

I'm looking forward to the season, even though I don't have high expectations for performance.
It would be nice to see if they can find a better balance between the offensive and defensive ends of the floor than the team has had for the past few years. If they can get that team D efficiency rating into the 60-50 range and O efficiency in the 40-50 that wouldn't be a bad mix.
If they make the NCAA tourney I'd consider that a pretty good outcome for this group. More than than would be a bonus.
100% agreement with all of this....can't wait for the season to start.

Is it just me or does it seem as though this preseason has less information about how practices are going than any previous year?

Is it just me or does it seem as though this preseason has less information about how practices are going than any previous year?

Last year we heard a lot about the emergence of Keegan Murray. I guess we must suck this year.

I have been reading a lot about this team. Maybe you haven't been looking? I see something new every day in my newsfeed.

Reactions: perryhawk

I think expectations are down so it makes sense that there's less chatter....

Some really good updates on Josh, Riley and Filip, from Hawk Central. One of these is expected to start at the 5 spot.

As you will read, Josh is down to 260 and still is not quite there. Yikes.

Some excerpts:

"I learned a lot from Luka," Ogundele said. "Whether it's sealing deep and playing hard and aggressive or not taking any possessions off. A mix of different things but this year I'm just to show everyone what I can do with what he's taught me and how I've prepared."

"Josh has been a lot better. He's sustaining effort more," Iowa coach Fran McCaffery said. "He lost a lot of weight. He's down to the 260s. But he has to get even better in that area and he knows it. He's really pushing himself. I've been proud of him."

Ogundele is officially listed at 6-foot-11 and 265 pounds. Last season he struggled to find a rhythm and needed to get his weight down. A London, England, native, Ogundele "let himself go" as he described it during the months of the COVID-forced shutdown when gyms were closed and he wasn't able to work out.

When he got to Iowa last summer post-shutdown, it was an uphill battle.

According to Ogundele, he's in his best shape since high school.

"I haven't felt this way since I was around 16, 17 (years old)," Ogundele said. "I'm jumping more, rebounding, dunking the ball and being more aggressive. With losing weight I gained more confidence."

Rebraca was a two-time All-Summit League selection and has 74 career starts.

"He's been through it. He might be 24 (years old)," McCaffery said. "He's played internationally (Serbia), played in this country at the Division I level. And he wanted to challenge himself to play in the Big Ten. So we're thrilled to have him."

At 6-foot-9 and 230 pounds, his play-style fits perfectly with Iowa's up-tempo attack.

"It's a lot different that how we played at North Dakota," Rebraca said. "My game is kind of a jack-of-all trades: I can finish in the post, I can create offense in the mid-post and I know the three-point line. I know we use all of that here so it feels natural so to say."

True freshman Riley Mulvey was originally a member of Iowa's 2022 class but re-classified and joined the team a year early. Since his arrival this summer, his biggest challenge has been adjusting his body to the college game.

"I've changed so much," said Mulvey, who stands at 6-foot-11. "I've gained about 10 pounds (up to 244 pounds) and I feel like I'm getting a lot stronger. Playing against Ogundele, Rebraca and the Murray twins, they're so strong and that's helped me."

Where Mulvey will most likely impact Iowa most this year is as a rim protector. During his last two years of high school, he averaged five blocks per game. However, he may find minutes limited until his body catches up to the rigors of Big Ten basketball.

"Defensively he's ahead of where he is on offense," McCaffery said. "He's 240, but he's still getting pushed around a little bit. He still should be a senior in high school. We'll get him ready at some point."

All three of Iowa's big men bring something to the table: Ogudele's big frame and aggressiveness, Rebraca's experience and skill and Mulvey's defensive prowess.

It's fair to assume that Rebraca has the edge but don't be surprised to see all three get opportunities early in the season when rotations are still fluid.

How do they evaluate the competition among them?

"Every day, it's hard in practice," Ogundele said. "Whether it's Riley dunking and blocking shots, Filip opening up and shooting the ball and me aggressive inside. I think there's a lot of opportunity this year and it'll be interesting to see what happens with the bigs."

Some really good updates on Josh, Riley and Filip, from Hawk Central. One of these is expected to start at the 5 spot.

As you will read, Josh is down to 260 and still is not quite there. Yikes.

Some excerpts:

"I learned a lot from Luka," Ogundele said. "Whether it's sealing deep and playing hard and aggressive or not taking any possessions off. A mix of different things but this year I'm just to show everyone what I can do with what he's taught me and how I've prepared."

"Josh has been a lot better. He's sustaining effort more," Iowa coach Fran McCaffery said. "He lost a lot of weight. He's down to the 260s. But he has to get even better in that area and he knows it. He's really pushing himself. I've been proud of him."

Ogundele is officially listed at 6-foot-11 and 265 pounds. Last season he struggled to find a rhythm and needed to get his weight down. A London, England, native, Ogundele "let himself go" as he described it during the months of the COVID-forced shutdown when gyms were closed and he wasn't able to work out.

When he got to Iowa last summer post-shutdown, it was an uphill battle.

According to Ogundele, he's in his best shape since high school.

"I haven't felt this way since I was around 16, 17 (years old)," Ogundele said. "I'm jumping more, rebounding, dunking the ball and being more aggressive. With losing weight I gained more confidence."

Rebraca was a two-time All-Summit League selection and has 74 career starts.

"He's been through it. He might be 24 (years old)," McCaffery said. "He's played internationally (Serbia), played in this country at the Division I level. And he wanted to challenge himself to play in the Big Ten. So we're thrilled to have him."

At 6-foot-9 and 230 pounds, his play-style fits perfectly with Iowa's up-tempo attack.

"It's a lot different that how we played at North Dakota," Rebraca said. "My game is kind of a jack-of-all trades: I can finish in the post, I can create offense in the mid-post and I know the three-point line. I know we use all of that here so it feels natural so to say."

True freshman Riley Mulvey was originally a member of Iowa's 2022 class but re-classified and joined the team a year early. Since his arrival this summer, his biggest challenge has been adjusting his body to the college game.

"I've changed so much," said Mulvey, who stands at 6-foot-11. "I've gained about 10 pounds (up to 244 pounds) and I feel like I'm getting a lot stronger. Playing against Ogundele, Rebraca and the Murray twins, they're so strong and that's helped me."

Where Mulvey will most likely impact Iowa most this year is as a rim protector. During his last two years of high school, he averaged five blocks per game. However, he may find minutes limited until his body catches up to the rigors of Big Ten basketball.

"Defensively he's ahead of where he is on offense," McCaffery said. "He's 240, but he's still getting pushed around a little bit. He still should be a senior in high school. We'll get him ready at some point."

All three of Iowa's big men bring something to the table: Ogudele's big frame and aggressiveness, Rebraca's experience and skill and Mulvey's defensive prowess.

It's fair to assume that Rebraca has the edge but don't be surprised to see all three get opportunities early in the season when rotations are still fluid.

How do they evaluate the competition among them?

"Every day, it's hard in practice," Ogundele said. "Whether it's Riley dunking and blocking shots, Filip opening up and shooting the ball and me aggressive inside. I think there's a lot of opportunity this year and it'll be interesting to see what happens with the bigs."

I like Rebraca to start in the middle. I realize he's not a 'traditional' post-player in terms of size, but he has a lot of skills and has some experience against good competition. If the other players on the floor were Bohannon and Toussaint sized and he was the only one with any size, I'd be concerned. However, the likely starting lineup (in my opinion) will have Keegan Murray and Patrick McCaffery on the floor, both at 6'9" and athletic.

I like Rebraca to start in the middle. I realize he's not a 'traditional' post-player in terms of size, but he has a lot of skills and has some experience against good competition. If the other players on the floor were Bohannon and Toussaint sized and he was the only one with any size, I'd be concerned. However, the likely starting lineup (in my opinion) will have Keegan Murray and Patrick McCaffery on the floor, both at 6'9" and athletic.

what is worrisome is when we go against the Purdue's, Illinois', and Michigan States of the world, where things get physical down low

what is worrisome is when we go against the Purdue's, Illinois', and Michigan States of the world, where things get physical down low
At least Purdue won't have David Bell on the floor!

But, yes, against the more physical teams Iowa will likely struggle unless they're hitting from behind the arc at a high clip.

When we play teams with the more physical centers, Ogundele's fouls will come in handy. It seems as though Josh remain a project and I was hoping we were done recruiting projects when other B1G teams are recruiting 4* prospects.

When we play teams with the more physical centers, Ogundele's fouls will come in handy. It seems as though Josh remain a project and I was hoping we were done recruiting projects when other B1G teams are recruiting 4* prospects.
Big O being a project was due more to the pandemic than anything. He was pretty much stuck at home and wasn't able to work out in any structured manner the summer of 2020. He didn't make it to Iowa City until late August and then was hampered by illness and unable to go all out in practices, hurting his ability to get in playing shape. He is getting there now and has been doing good things, but he is behind the other kids who had summer of 2020 on to practice.

I still see him doing good things this year but it's probably better to assume he'll be able to contribute much more in 2022, especially if he can drop some more weight and put on more muscle. He has the athleticism to be a decent player.

I get what you are saying, but then I remember when Les Jepsen was recruited….seriously thought there’s no way he would ever be a legitimate contributor after seeing him playing his freshman year…. He ended up being outstanding his senior year after a pretty good junior year.

That said he was recruited to a talented and deep roster when he first got to campus.

I get what you are saying, but then I remember when Les Jepsen was recruited….seriously thought there’s no way he would ever be a legitimate contributor after seeing him playing his freshman year…. He ended up being outstanding his senior year after a pretty good junior year.

That said he was recruited to a talented and deep roster when he first got to campus.
I remember we got a commitment from Ogundele right after Xavier Foster committed to Iowa State. I think Iowa got the better deal in the long run.

I think both BB and Perry are describing exactly what I would call a project. Jepsen scored a total of 189 points his first three years and then blossomed as a Senior.
Josh admitting that he let himself go while he was sitting out the wait in England is not reassuring that he has the drive to really be a consistent contributor. I hope I'm wrong, but he has had months to get into shape and by his and McCaffery's admission, he has a ways to go.

I think both BB and Perry are describing exactly what I would call a project. Jepsen scored a total of 189 points his first three years and then blossomed as a Senior.
Josh admitting that he let himself go while he was sitting out the wait in England is not reassuring that he has the drive to really be a consistent contributor. I hope I'm wrong, but he has had months to get into shape and by his and McCaffery's admission, he has a ways to go.
Not to totally disagree with you, but I think he's in a lot better shape than I think you give him credit for. I think he's in basketball shape now and can run/play, but he is still behind in skill improvement and learning the system because he was getting back into shape and recovering from illness. He's not far if he can just catch a break, stay healthy, and keep focused. I am hoping that he is contributing off the bench during the B1G season this year.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
He has lost around 50 lbs while building strength and endurance. This is a very difficult thing to do. People who are not overweight always think it is easy but it is not. In fact most people cannot do it.
I was thinking the same thing along those lines. I felt that they would get his weight down while adding muscle and he would eventually plateau somewhere.

Reactions: mstp1992
He has lost around 50 lbs while building strength and endurance. This is a very difficult thing to do. People who are not overweight always think it is easy but it is not. In fact most people cannot do it.

Fran said he was now around 260.

So, you are saying he was at 310 at one time?

Wow.

Just remember he's been in Iowa City for 14 months now, under the guidance of strengths & conditioning coaches and has access to healthy, unlimited food.

“I will not be Keegan’s brother this year. You will know me as Kris Murray."

And who wins the 1 on 1 matchup?

“He wouldn’t tell you that, but I beat him pretty good one-on-one,” Kris said.

Nice FREE story by Rick Brown on Kris Murray. cc: @PHawkKenyon

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT