ADVERTISEMENT

***US Soccer***

Well we got 3 points to keep pace with Mexico and Canada.

Hopefully Costa Rica can beat or at least draw Panama to open up some distance between them and the top 3.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
1b5fa985-3306-4fa9-804d-ee7252fb7640_text.gif

To be fair, I’m not sure there was ever going to be a good situation once we knew we would be away at Canada in this winter window (thanks again Covid). This is normally not a window they play qualifiers during - but between moving the Qatar World Cup to next winter, the condensed qualifying schedule due to Covid, attempting to reduce travel time to help with rest and recovery between games, etc. and then just bad luck with the weather. You knew it would be cold, but they rolled the dice that it wouldn’t be freezing. Columbus I don’t think will be bad; Minneapolis next week makes me nervous with the freezing cold. That ball will be a freaking rock and teams are likely to play long balls much of the game, no one’s going to want repeated short passes with a ball that hard.

Is the USMNT really so desperate we have to freeze out El Salvador? This is stupid

I don't see the advantage. Our guys don't live and train in the cold. This probably sucks for everybody involved.

I missed the VAR announcement apparently. That was getting embarrassing for CONCACAF.

That was an awful effort on that one. Waiting too long on everything.

They lucked out on the weather. If this game was scheduled for two nights ago they wouldn't have been able to play it. It's still cold, but not what it could have been.

Also, Robinson can't cross today. Could be the weather. I knew it would be like this though. Let's see how the second half goes.

Remember that we are freezing them out as our advantage. The advantage in most of the rest against us is bottles filled with piss thrown at our players. Or complete shit fields. Deliberately flooding a field and using it comes to mind as well

I'm ok freezing them out

Well we got 3 points to keep pace with Mexico and Canada.

Hopefully Costa Rica can beat or at least draw Panama to open up some distance between them and the top 3.
Night just gets better, boys. Ready to see some international players on the regular?!?!…

Not really that familiar with the soccer lower divisions in the US. This will be a team that is different from the Menace? Or will the Menace move to this league?

Looked it up . . . Menace is 4th tier - USL League 2.

This is a 2nd tier team they are talking about starting.

It goes

MLS - USL Championship - USL League 1 - USL League 2

Now that I look at it, it sounds like they are mirroring the English tiers except adding USL in front of them.

South Bend also has a USL League 2 team, South Bend Lions FC.

Not really that familiar with the soccer lower divisions in the US. This will be a team that is different from the Menace? Or will the Menace move to this league?
The leagues in order are :
1. MLS (not affiliated with USL, but a clear step above).
2. USL Championship - The new Des Moines Team will be here
3. USL League 1
4. USL League 2 - current home of the Menace.

The new team and the Menace share owners. I think the Menace get shut down, but nothing has been announced yet.

The leagues in order are :
1. MLS (not affiliated with USL, but a clear step above).
2. USL Championship - The new Des Moines Team will be here
3. USL League 1
4. USL League 2 - current home of the Menace.

The new team and the Menace share owners. I think the Menace get shut down, but nothing has been announced yet.
And yet, Iowa still can't figure out how to get a men's soccer team despite the obvious interest in Iowa. (Hint on how to do it: You make dance team a Varsity sport too)

I like the lineup… and I know people are clamoring for Pepi… and I hope we find a consistent threat at the 9, but he’s green and this a huge game. That said, if he stunned if he doesn’t enter at@bout the 65 minute mark. I never thought Canada would be at the top of the table… thought it would be Mexico we had to go through and maybe that will still happen come March, but for now this is the moment.

I like the lineup… and I know people are clamoring for Pepi… and I hope we find a consistent threat at the 9, but he’s green and this a huge game. That said, if he stunned if he doesn’t enter at@bout the 65 minute mark. I never thought Canada would be at the top of the table… thought it would be Mexico we had to go through and maybe that will still happen come March, but for now this is the moment.

While I'm still a little surprised, I don't hate the lineup either. I was curious to see what we would do here knowing that we SHOULD get 3 points Wednesday.

There is not much of a connection up top. Aaronson is playing well, in my opinion, the rest... not so much.

Zardes had a perfect opportunity for a near post run on a ball put in from Pulisic who clearly was expecting him to be there. He slowed up for two or three steps and the ball gets easily cleaned up.

We have had all the ball and most of it on their end. Cannot create though...

Kinda disagree with the talking heads - doesn’t feel like the US have played poorly. Canada has succeeded in making the game ugly, and a few half chances have gone begging.

Fantastic save by the Canada goalie at the end of the half.

Anyone else have thoughts? I don't want to keep talking to myself... lol.

Attacking 1/3 is just lost.
We have had all the ball and really on the front foot. One dumb mistake is what is causing this deficit and it is really frustrating.
Unlucky to not be at least tied after that great save off of the corner headed by McKennie.
Would like to see Pepi in for Zardes as more of a target and get in on some balls in the air.
Left side of the field seems to be able to get behind the defense but, again, nothing is coming off of it.

I truly don't see us giving up another goal.

Edit- At least the Chiefs will be leading at the half...

Anyone else have thoughts? I don't want to keep talking to myself... lol.

Attacking 1/3 is just lost.
We have had all the ball and really on the front foot. One dumb mistake is what is causing this deficit and it is really frustrating.
Unlucky to not be at least tied after that great save off of the corner headed by McKennie.
Would like to see Pepi in for Zardes as more of a target and get in on some balls in the air.
Left side of the field seems to be able to get behind the defense but, again, nothing is coming off of it.

I truly don't see us giving up another goal.

Edit- At least the Chiefs will be leading at the half...

Think I’d rather see Pepsi for Aaronson, Zardes has been good at getting on the ball. Haven’t seen a ton from Brendan.

We need to play more vertical and quicker touches vs playing wide. Smaller field you can’t play around with the ball. Touch and cut. We’ve been the superior team but they have threatened off the counter… because they went quickly vs holding the ball. Turner had a crappy kick, but nobody closed out the second touch and Miles was off guard, out of position or both. Comedy of errors on the goal.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Think I’d rather see Pepsi for Aaronson, Zardes has been good at getting on the ball. Haven’t seen a ton from Brendan.

I thought Aaronson has been playing well, especially in the first 25 min or so. I don't think Zardes has done well with the ball at his feet today and I don't think that Pepi will come to play out wide.

We need to play more vertical and quicker touches vs playing wide. Smaller field you can’t play around with the ball. Touch and cut. We’ve been the superior team but they have threatened off the counter… because they went quickly vs holding the ball. Turner had a crappy kick, but nobody closed out the second touch and Miles was off guard, out of position or both. Comedy of errors on the goal.

I totally agree with this... Too many flat passes. Canada is dropping deep and trying to keep everything in front but there have been a couple opportunities to slot balls into the gaps that were not taken. I want to see those vertical threats and test that back line.

Why does Canada’s goalie look like they had to ask some random to play because they didn’t have enough to field a lineup. Reminds me of the rec league days when you could end up playing 5 games in a day just filling in for missing players.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Why does Canada’s goalie look like they had to ask some random to play because they didn’t have enough to field a lineup. Reminds me of the rec league days when you could end up playing 5 games in a day just filling in for missing players.
Beyond the US playing like crap, he's the reason Canada is still winning right now so it was a pretty nice rando they found then :p

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT