ADVERTISEMENT

***US Soccer***

Am I reading this correctly? USMNT will be playing outside in St Paul Mn on Feb 2nd? They realize this is a usually the coldest two week stretch of the year for MN during this time?
Whats the cutoff for temps where they would postpone the game cause below 0 could easily happen.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Am I reading this correctly? USMNT will be playing outside in St Paul Mn on Feb 2nd? They realize this is a usually the coldest two week stretch of the year for MN during this time?
Whats the cutoff for temps where they would postpone the game cause below 0 could easily happen.

I have wondered how the hell this happens since that Costa Rica debacle in the snow….

From what I can tell - the northern locations are more likely to be packed with US only crowds, this provides the easiest travel option for getting to Canada and it will be a bitch for Honduras who will be coming off 2 warm weather games.

Gotta say - the only part of it that makes ANY sense is the crowd - assuming this rules out Texas, Florida and other warm weather spots. Otherwise it’s absolutely nuts. Crap like weather conditions seem more likely to be an equalizer for the more talented team

I have wondered how the hell this happens since that Costa Rica debacle in the snow….

From what I can tell - the northern locations are more likely to be packed with US only crowds, this provides the easiest travel option for getting to Canada and it will be a bitch for Honduras who will be coming off 2 warm weather games.

Gotta say - the only part of it that makes ANY sense is the crowd - assuming this rules out Texas, Florida and other warm weather spots. Otherwise it’s absolutely nuts. Crap like weather conditions seem more likely to be an equalizer for the more talented team
Opponents crowd makes sense and also I guess Honduras has never played in sub zero temps…… but how many USA guys have?
Seems miserable but enjoy!

Reactions: Hawk and Awe

Yes, it's because the game vs. Canada is outdoors in Hamilton. I don't like it but it's only a short drive for me so I'll get frostbite while attending the game

I’ll be flipping back and forth. Probably not happening, but I’d love to see Slonina come into goal. Big future talent for the US…

Reactions: Dorrman
Goal. Cole Bassett on a rebound in the 89th minute. Didn’t catch who put in the original shot, but it was a beauty.

EDIT: Jonathan Gomez, 84th minute sub, who is going from Louisville in the USL to Real Sociedad in La Liga next month.

Last edited:
Goal. Cole Bassett on a rebound in the 89th minute. Didn’t catch who put in the original shot, but it was a beauty.

EDIT: Jonathan Gomez, 84th minute sub, who is going from Louisville in the USL to Real Sociedad in La Liga next month.

Very meh game but Bosnia just packed it in. Win is a win though.

What a great 2021 for the stars and stripes!

Didn’t feel like 11 vs 10 in the 2nd half. But, they found a way to win. Great year for the team. Hope is back.

I played a college game with the temperature around ten degrees at start time; late afternoon game & it got colder by the finish. It was miserable, felt like you were kicking a damn brick.
If it is frigid, it will absolutely affect the game. In my case above, we played that team three times - twice in the regular season, and again in the JuCo playoffs. Twice, we blew them out. In the frozen game, we slogged through it and won one 1-0, with the lone goal being a 2nd half PK. It can only help the inferior team.
It is simply dumb to schedule a game in that area at that time of year.

Last edited:
I played a college game with the temperature around ten degrees at start time; late afternoon game & it got colder by the finish. It was miserable, felt like you were kicking a damn brick.
If it is frigid, it will absolutely affect the game. In my case above, we played that team three times - twice in the regular season, and again in the JuCo playoffs. Twice, we blew them out. In the frozen game, we slogged through it and won one 1-0, with the lone goal being a 2nd half PK. It can not help the inferior team.
It is simply dumb to schedule a game in that area at that time of year.

With you. Scored my first varsity goal in high school in the snow. I was laying on the ground and toe poked a ball over the line from around the 6. I would say that I poked it into the net but the ball stopped dead after the line.

Kellyn Acosta seriously earned massive euro contract tonight if he wants.

I don't follow US soccer that much. I don't follow MLS at all. I follow European soccer, especially the EPL.

How good is this Acosta guy? He looked like the best player on the field at all times.
Pulled from a different thread, but this is a hell of a one year deal in a league with very limited free agency…

Anyone else going to die of frostbite and cold temps with me in Minneapolis?

So I'm planning on making the drive up there (assuming the weather is good). I told myself after a few cold Iowa football games that I'm not going to any sporting events where it's brutally cold yet here I am planning on going to Minnesota in the dead of winter

So I'm planning on making the drive up there (assuming the weather is good). I told myself after a few cold Iowa football games that I'm not going to any sporting events where it's brutally cold yet here I am planning on going to Minnesota in the dead of winter
I get gaming the home games to screw the opponent, but playing a game where there very well could be wind chill warnings doesn't seem helpful. I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind playing a soccer game in January in Minnesota.

I get gaming the home games to screw the opponent, but playing a game where there very well could be wind chill warnings doesn't seem helpful. I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind playing a soccer game in January in Minnesota.
I think that the USA playing Canada in the same window also plays a factor in between the two home games. Would be a bit of a shock to the system to go from sunny California to Canada and then back to Texas for instance.

I think that the USA playing Canada in the same window also plays a factor in between the two home games. Would be a bit of a shock to the system to go from sunny California to Canada and then back to Texas for instance.

I totally agree. I think this had to play into their decison. Curious to see how Canada plays without Davies.

Yep, I think it's a stupid decision to play in Minnesota in February. They could even be going against their own guidelines.

I totally agree. I think this had to play into their decison. Curious to see how Canada plays without Davies.
That makes sense but there are other cold weather cities that aren't as cold as Minnesota. New York or Portland would be better, although I don't know if Portland has a natural grass field.

That makes sense but there are other cold weather cities that aren't as cold as Minnesota. New York or Portland would be better, although I don't know if Portland has a natural grass field.

Portland and Seattle both have turf. I am honestly done ever playing in New York or LA. Those cities suck representing the US. Maybe Nashville would have been better?

Reactions: BioHawk

Portland (and San Jose) would have been a location if the Canada away WCQ was in Vancouver and not Hamilton. I think they wanted to avoid NYC at all costs because of what happened when they played there in the last qualifying cycle

Portland (and San Jose) would have been a location if the Canada away WCQ was in Vancouver and not Hamilton. I think they wanted to avoid NYC at all costs because of what happened when they played there in the last qualifying cycle
Agreed. I read that limiting travel time was a priority as well.

That's true! I would have gone there too!

So I'm listening to Futbol Americas and Taylor Twellman is on. He said that with the Titans in the playoffs and they didn't trust the turf in cold weather and SKC's field isn't heated. I still don't like it but I guess it makes sense

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT