ADVERTISEMENT

***US Soccer***

McKinnie is really good but it drives me nuts when he tries to dribble through 4 defenders.

Reactions: B1GDeal
Cannot believe Canada will win CONCACAF WCQ. They are good but not this good. Basically old school USA. Goon it up and score when needed.

meh, I don’t really care about who finishes at the top of the table - it doesn’t provide any advantages at the WC draw as far as I know. Especially in a condensed qualifying schedule I’m happy so long as we qualify.

And to be fair, this is probably the most talented Canada team that I’ve seen in my lifetime, and they are completely locked in. Nothing in what they’re doing has been a fluke.

meh, I don’t really care about who finishes at the top of the table - it doesn’t provide any advantages at the WC draw as far as I know. Especially in a condensed qualifying schedule I’m happy so long as we qualify.

And to be fair, this is probably the most talented Canada team that I’ve seen in my lifetime, and they are completely locked in. Nothing in what they’re doing has been a fluke.
Fair point. Still blows to lose to ****ing Canada. Good news is the top 4 seem to be separating.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Wow… Canadians just wanted this more. Took advantage of opportunities. Thought Mexico was the top dog… but it’s apparently Canada, eh.

Gregg likes to play the ball back/out of the back to draw team up the field and spread them out… then attack down the sidelines. It took awhile but started to work some, but it’s also painful at times. Not sure it fits the talent and skill we have.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Fire Gregg?

There is zero offensive creativity. I don't know how much of it is his fault but this was really hard to watch today.

Guess I disagree. Didn’t think today was a poor game. Early goal came off a bad goal kick/counter sequence played well by canada. Second goal at the end was simply off scramble mode with US a man down and pressing forward.

Gregg likes to play the ball back/out of the back to draw team up the field and spread them out… then attack down the sidelines. It took awhile but started to work some, but it’s also painful at times. Not sure it fits the talent and skill we have.

Also didn’t help that the the narrow field made it harder to spread them out.

Reactions: B1GDeal
Fire Gregg?

There is zero offensive creativity. I don't know how much of it is his fault but this was really hard to watch today.
Too far. He puts us in a position to win any game because he’s a possession based coach that knows how to set up a difficult-to-break squad. But he’s FAR from an offensive mastermind, and may over-coach the attack. He’s the Ferentz of international soccer. That’s not a total slam either. He’s just far from an offensive guru. Canada doesn’t give a shit about possession, but they play organized, gritty, and they just want to catch you that one time and quickly burn you before you know what hit you.

Last edited:
Guess I disagree. Didn’t think today was a poor game. Early goal came off a bad goal kick/counter sequence played well by canada. Second goal at the end was simply off scramble mode with US a man down and pressing forward.

I'm not blaming him for the goals. I'm upset with the lack of goals.

Too far. He puts us in a position to win any game because he’s a possession based coach that knows how to set up a difficult-to-break squad. But he’s FAR from an offensive mastermind, and may over-coach the attack. He’s the Ferentz of international soccer. That’s not a total slam either. He’s far from an offensive guru. Canada doesn’t give a shit about possession, but they play organized, gritty, and they just want to catch you that one time and quickly burn you before you know what hit you.

I'm not really suggesting that he be fired but the offense has to improve. We have arguably the best offensive weapons in CONCACAF and can't score.

He gets credit for beating Mexico 3 times but this qualifying has not been smooth sailing.
Losses @ Panama and @ Canada in 1-0 and 2-0 losses.
Went down @ Honduras before having a great second half. Good adjustments, credit there.
Couldn't hold leads vs Canada and @ Jamacia resulting in 1-1 draws.
Can't score more than 1 goal in two games against El Salvador.
Not a great game against Costa Rica but did get a win.

I'm not blaming him for the goals. I'm upset with the lack of goals.

it’s a fair criticism, I just don’t know how much is his fault when we just haven’t had that guy strike up to become the #1 striker. Not having that guy makes it harder for Pulisic to shake free.

I'm not really suggesting that he be fired but the offense has to improve. We have arguably the best offensive weapons in CONCACAF and can't score.

He gets credit for beating Mexico 3 times but this qualifying has not been smooth sailing.
Losses @ Panama and @ Canada in 1-0 and 2-0 losses.
Went down @ Honduras before having a great second half. Good adjustments, credit there.
Couldn't hold leads vs Canada and @ Jamacia resulting in 1-1 draws.
Can't score more than 1 goal in two games against El Salvador.
Not a great game against Costa Rica but did get a win.

going to have to disagree that we have the best weapons in CONCACAF, at least right now. We don’t have a guy to be our main striker, pulisic is great but he gets swarmed because no one else consistently threatens the defense.

Lots of potential guys for sure, but few proven attacking options.

Reactions: McIlraveysMullet
going to have to disagree that we have the best weapons in CONCACAF, at least right now. We don’t have a guy to be our main striker, pulisic is great but he gets swarmed because no one else consistently threatens the defense.

Lots of potential guys for sure, but few proven attacking options.

I agree that we need a true #9 but all the other pieces are there. The problem is the #9 really is so needed.

Who do you think has the better offensive pieces?

I agree that we need a true #9 but all the other pieces are there. The problem is the #9 really is so needed.

Who do you think has the better offensive pieces?

Right now I think it’s Canada by a fair margin. Mexico might be more talented but has been inconsistent. We have a fair amount of talent but a lot of it is pure potential right now.

It can’t be understated as well that for the bulk of the roster this is their first go-round in CONCACAF WCQ. Especially with the condensed schedule this time around, it’s just different. Should pay huge dividends the next two WC cycles.

Right now I think it’s Canada by a fair margin. Mexico might be more talented but has been inconsistent. We have a fair amount of talent but a lot of it is pure potential right now.

It can’t be understated as well that for the bulk of the roster this is their first go-round in CONCACAF WCQ. Especially with the condensed schedule this time around, it’s just different. Should pay huge dividends the next two WC cycles.

Fair enough. I still think we have it but I get the argument. We haven't put up numbers.

Fair enough. I still think we have it but I get the argument. We haven't put up numbers.

ST and LB are two positions that USA has struggled to fill for a decade. Finally seems like we have the LB now, and plenty of options at ST, but still waiting for someone to claim that spot.

Also hurt not having Reyna.

I’m disappointed, but not crushed by today. Getting a point or three would have been nice, but not essential. Get three on Wednesday and we’ll be in excellent shape going into the last window.

ST and LB are two positions that USA has struggled to fill for a decade. Finally seems like we have the LB now, and plenty of options at ST, but still waiting for someone to claim that spot.

Also hurt not having Reyna.

I’m disappointed, but not crushed by today. Getting a point or three would have been nice, but not essential. Get three on Wednesday and we’ll be in excellent shape going into the last window.

Agreed on the window and agreed on Robinson being the LB. I was a little surprised that Pefok wasn't called in since he has scored a few goals recently.

Not sold he is the guy either but maybe take the hot(ish) hand?

Agreed on the window and agreed on Robinson being the LB. I was a little surprised that Pefok wasn't called in since he has scored a few goals recently.

Not sold he is the guy either but maybe take the hot(ish) hand?

with any luck at all we win on Wednesday and we get more separation from the 4th place team so we have some room to experiment next month.

No idea what the summer/fall schedule will be for friendliest prior to Qatar next winter. Normally this January window is when we basically have open tryouts for guys trying to earn spots. Probably 9 or 10 of the starting line is spoken for, ST/GK.

Also would have liked to see Dike, but he got injured.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
with any luck at all we win on Wednesday and we get more separation from the 4th place team so we have some room to experiment next month.

No idea what the summer/fall schedule will be for friendliest prior to Qatar next winter. Normally this January window is when we basically have open tryouts for guys trying to earn spots. Probably 9 or 10 of the starting line is spoken for, ST/GK.

Also would have liked to see Dike, but he got injured.

I am replying to you but it is open to everyone. Does anyone have an actual preference on keeper?

I am replying to you but it is open to everyone. Does anyone have an actual preference on keeper?

I think Steffens is the better keeper but would roll with Turner for now because he’s playing regularly. I don’t love that Turner will be heading to Arsenal to be the #2 there like Steffens is at Man City.

I think Steffens is the better keeper but would roll with Turner for now because he’s playing regularly. I don’t love that Turner will be heading to Arsenal to be the #2 there like Steffens is at Man City.
I feel the same. I really like that three of our keepers are playing in England but I don't like that they aren't getting tons of reps. Did Horvath end up getting loaned or is he the #1 at Forest now?

I feel the same. I really like that three of our keepers are playing in England but I don't like that they aren't getting tons of reps. Did Horvath end up getting loaned or is he the #1 at Forest now?
Not sure, I think last I heard he was at Bruges.

In talent no. In everything else that tweet said, yes. The table doesn't lie at this point.
Canada is certainly better, but this is also a game where the advantage of the home field was huge as well, especially after Canada got their early goal. USA largely controlled the possession, but struggled in the final third as they have throughout WCQ.

Reactions: mooresville hawk

From what I'm reading he's appeared in only 3 matches for Forest. And they are in the Championship, not the EPL. So not good. Despite a couple big saves in the Nation's league I think he's kind of out of the mix.

I think Turner & Steffen are the top 2 and fans will be arguing over which one should be #1.

The #3 I think is going to go to Gabriel Slonina now. If for no other reason than to try to keep him from playing for Poland.

Not sure, I think last I heard he was at Bruges.

That was his last club. He's with Nottingham Forrest now and playing in Championship (Division 2). And he isn't even getting appearances there.

From what I'm reading he's appeared in only 3 matches for Forest. And they are in the Championship, not the EPL. So not good. Despite a couple big saves in the Nation's league I think he's kind of out of the mix.

I think Turner & Steffen are the top 2 and fans will be arguing over which one should be #1.

The #3 I think is going to go to Gabriel Slonina now. If for no other reason than to try to keep him from playing for Poland.

That was his last club. He's with Nottingham Forrest now and playing in Championship (Division 2). And he isn't even getting appearances there.
Yeah, it’s a sucky situation for USA keepers at the moment. I think both Steffen and Turner have made mistakes by not finding clubs where regular playing is available. If nothing else, from Berhalters perspective that makes it hard to settle on one. Both appear to be solid options, but you have to think it affects their form.

I will take our team. Over Canada's every single time. We are better by a lot. Our goal isn't to beat Canada....it is to make cit to the world cup and do something there. This team is built for that much more than Canada. Canada won't make it out of the group stage. Our team is young but is positioned well to win at the world cup and make some noise. We are so much better than the pack it in and pray strategy Canada is still employing.

Again, I disagree with this. Didn’t think the gulf between USA and Canada was that wide.

I agree. The US possessed the ball more (64%-36%) and has more shots (13-8). Canada took advantage of an early defensive lapse by the US and held in for the victory. The late goal came about because the US was attacking with a man down while trying to even up the score.

I knew Forest was in the English Championship but I couldn't find stats from this year. I only did a basic Google search so thanks for providing the details.

Last edited:
We all know the disparity between the US and Canada in the top leagues. This post was more the value of how many guys we have in the top leagues. To actually see it is pretty impressive.

We all know the disparity between the US and Canada in the top leagues. This post was more the value of how many guys we have in the top leagues. To actually see it is pretty impressive.

Other side of this is that it just goes to show that it’s not just talent. Coaching plays a factor - I think Berhalter is decent, but not great. For a variety of reasons, some of which are on him and some are out of his control, I don’t think he’s been able to find the best lineup combination. That’s partly on him, partly on availability/injuries, and partly on waiting for guys to claim spots - specifically ST at present. And then it’s also just team chemistry, and that’s a weird thing to build. You never quite know when it will click and when it goes away. Canada isn’t more talented, but they are totally locked in right now. I think you’d have to go all the way back to 2014 when USA won the Hex the last time they had excellent team chemistry.

no matter what, I think this is the last year for Berhalter. One way or another I don’t think he should be the coach after the WC, and to be fair, I think 1 WC cycle is the lifespan of all but the best international coaches.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Other side of this is that it just goes to show that it’s not just talent. Coaching plays a factor - I think Berhalter is decent, but not great. For a variety of reasons, some of which are on him and some are out of his control, I don’t think he’s been able to find the best lineup combination. That’s partly on him, partly on availability/injuries, and partly on waiting for guys to claim spots - specifically ST at present. And then it’s also just team chemistry, and that’s a weird thing to build. You never quite know when it will click and when it goes away. Canada isn’t more talented, but they are totally locked in right now. I think you’d have to go all the way back to 2014 when USA won the Hex the last time they had excellent team chemistry.

no matter what, I think this is the last year for Berhalter. One way or another I don’t think he should be the coach after the WC, and to be fair, I think 1 WC cycle is the lifespan of all but the best international coaches.

To me, this was the downfall of the Gold Cup roster. It was absolutely fantastic to see the United States run the table and get a trophy with almost and entirely different group of players than the Nations League. We saw depth added to certain positions and others who fought like heck to make current rosters for qualifying.

While that was exactly the point of last year's Gold Cup, it was a missed opportunity to further train and play meaningful games as a group or gel. I agree with you (or whoever said this above) that 2024 and 2028 are really where we will see the fruit of these groups but I still was hoping to see a little more from qualifying at the moment.

Anyway, back to trying to figure out a way not to die tomorrow night at the game. Probably like the players are wondering.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
To me, this was the downfall of the Gold Cup roster. It was absolutely fantastic to see the United States run the table and get a trophy with almost and entirely different group of players than the Nations League. We saw depth added to certain positions and others who fought like heck to make current rosters for qualifying.

While that was exactly the point of last year's Gold Cup, it was a missed opportunity to further train and play meaningful games as a group or gel. I agree with you (or whoever said this above) that 2024 and 2028 are really where we will see the fruit of these groups but I still was hoping to see a little more from qualifying at the moment.

Anyway, back to trying to figure out a way not to die tomorrow night at the game. Probably like the players are wondering.
Has it sold out? I hadn’t seen.

The bigger mistake imo was the wasted year after missing the 2018 WC. Interim coach, and no overall plan save for seemingly just giving every player possible a game or two that year. Absolutely nothing gained from that season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT