ADVERTISEMENT

***US Soccer***

If anyone is still watching (the only drama is will USA break the Gold Cup goal record), a St. Kitts defender just took an absolute howitzer shot square off his sugar boys. :eek:

Okay... any takeaways from tonight?

Ferreira scored three times which is two more than I was expecting him to score. Put himself in good positions but I still don't favor him.

Was hoping Vazquez would have put away a header or two. I want to see him play more than he is.

Not sure why Busio didn't get the minutes Zendejas has who has really struggled two games in a row.

Good for Djorde for two goals and an assist.

Sonora is offering little to nothing.

I liked both outside backs getting involved. Great goal by Reynolds. That was hammered. Jones had good services.

Neal was okay, Miazaga was pretty poor from his clearances as well as passing was not always clean.

Glad Sean Johnson got to play but was hoping to tie Gaga. Maybe he plays vs T&T but I doubt it.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Well, if you've ever wondered what a pretty good college team would look like against the national team, last night was it.

Well, if you've ever wondered what a pretty good college team would look like against the national team, last night was it.

I'm not sure that would have been a pretty good college team. No offense to them. Lots of dudes playing semi pro soccer or "professionally" in St. Kitts.

Okay... any takeaways from tonight?

Ferreira scored three times which is two more than I was expecting him to score. Put himself in good positions but I still don't favor him.

Was hoping Vazquez would have put away a header or two. I want to see him play more than he is.

Not sure why Busio didn't get the minutes Zendejas has who has really struggled two games in a row.

Good for Djorde for two goals and an assist.

Sonora is offering little to nothing.

I liked both outside backs getting involved. Great goal by Reynolds. That was hammered. Jones had good services.

Neal was okay, Miazaga was pretty poor from his clearances as well as passing was not always clean.

Glad Sean Johnson got to play but was hoping to tie Gaga. Maybe he plays vs T&T but I doubt it.
Ferreira looked great last night. I wish he could replicate his play against quality opponents as well. He gets his shot off quickly so you would think his game would translate well against better teams but it hasn’t thus far. Seven of his eleven goals have come against two poor teams which make his stats look like he’s a scoring machine.

Hard to really judge the US team in this performance.

Neal is really comfortable on the ball and passes it pretty well, he plays a lot for LA Galaxy so he has a promising future. I was excited to see Reynolds play a lot of minutes. His goal was incredible and he crosses the ball pretty well, that being said he had a lot of space in this game.

My son and I just watched the USA vs JAM game last night (finally). We're going to watch last night's game this morning. He misses Christian Pulisic.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Yes! I thought that too. Not sure if/ where he plays but maybe a USL team saw that and wants to give him a shot.

He was good. Where does he play?
Malta. Which would have a couple teams that have a USL budget. He is definitely going to get a look from a bigger club after his performances, getting them this far and then last night.

Yeah I havn't made a big point to watch these B team games. I hope they win and all but it just gives off the NFL pre-season vibe.
The other games, with two A squads, have been the best. Canada-Guadeloupe has been the game of the round so far. If Guadeloupe was a FIFA member, they’d have at least made the qualifying hex for a World Cup at some point in the last 25 years. Probably multiple considering their Gold Cup performances. Jamaica, Panama, and T&T have even managed to qualify for the big dance.

Are these four Cuban players who apparently defected to the U.S. yesterday any good? Would they make our team?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...tballers-appear-defect-Gold-Cup-duty-USA.html

I don't know anything about it but they are almost certainly ineligible to play for the US.

I think the rule is that if you appear in 3 competitive caps for your national team before you are 22 or 1 competitive cap for your national team after you are 22 you are than forever tied to that national team and can not switch national teams ever.

I don't know anything about it but they are almost certainly ineligible to play for the US.

I think the rule is that if you appear in 3 competitive caps for your national team before you are 22 or 1 competitive cap for your national team after you are 22 you are than forever tied to that national team and can not switch national teams ever.

Yeah, Osvaldo Alonso defected from Cuba in a previous Gold Cup then later became a US citizen and wanted to play for the USMNT but was denied

Ferreira looked great last night. I wish he could replicate his play against quality opponents as well. He gets his shot off quickly so you would think his game would translate well against better teams but it hasn’t thus far. Seven of his eleven goals have come against two poor teams which make his stats look like he’s a scoring machine.

He also added 2 against T&T so I would argue it is 9 of his goals against weak teams. Watch us lose now that I said that...

I don't want him to be a failure and hope for his success but I just don't see it. He is still young though.

Yeah, Osvaldo Alonso defected from Cuba in a previous Gold Cup then later became a US citizen and wanted to play for the USMNT but was denied

As a Sounders fan, I remember that. A Gold Cup would have been perfect for him. I thought Stef Frei would have had a shot at a Gold Cup spot after gaining his citizenship from Switzerland.

I had previously wondered about how defecting from a nation for political reasons impacted your eligibility for other nations.

Malta. Which would have a couple teams that have a USL budget. He is definitely going to get a look from a bigger club after his performances, getting them this far and then last night.

I figured you would respond with the answer. Thanks for the detail as I would have zero clue about professional leagues in tiny Malta. I had no idea there would be 14 professional teams in that nation.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
He also added 2 against T&T so I would argue it is 9 of his goals against weak teams. Watch us lose now that I said that...

I don't want him to be a failure and hope for his success but I just don't see it. He is still young though.
You’d think his ability to get a quick shot off would translate to bigger games. Many strikers’ problems when they move up in competition is not having as much time to get their shot off. Ferreira doesn’t have that issue, so perhaps things will turn and he will start putting the ball in the back of the net against solid competition. As you said, he’s still pretty young.

Well, U.S.'s B-Team handled Group A pretty well...after pulling their heads out of their arses vs JAM in the opener.
Is it the same roster throughout the entire tournament or can they bring in a bunch of different guys for the elimination round?

Well, U.S.'s B-Team handled Group A pretty well...after pulling their heads out of their arses vs JAM in the opener.
Yes, but outside of Jamaica the group was 🗑️ so they just did what they should have. Could see Canada in the next round and though they haven’t played well they have talent. In all reality the Gold Cup doesn’t begin until the semifinals so this young group still has work to do.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
Reactions: BioHawk
Yes, but outside of Jamaica the group was 🗑️ so they just did what they should have. Could see Canada in the next round and though they haven’t played well they have talent. In all reality the Gold Cup doesn’t begin until the semifinals so this young group still has work to do.
It's accomplishing what we need it to do. It is allowing some of these other players to get some experience while the A squad all get their club team contracts settled.

It's accomplishing what we need it to do. It is allowing some of these other players to get some experience while the A squad all get their club team contracts settled.
I understand that, but that doesn’t change the fact that they haven’t done anything yet, Gold Cup is shallow on talent so semis and finals is where we will find out how good this young group is.

Reactions: BioHawk
I understand that, but that doesn’t change the fact that they haven’t done anything yet, Gold Cup is shallow on talent so semis and finals is where we will find out how good this young group is.

The crazy thing is this group isn't that much younger than the A squad that played in the nation's league, if they are at all.

Canada is also using their A-/B+ team without David, Davies and Buchanan. We really have more of our B-/C+ team. Many reserves on the A Team aren't even playing because they are in Europe getting ready. The only guys I really see playing on the top team are Turner (obviously), Miles Robinson and Ferreira is hard to ignore with the goals he scores. I think DeJuan Jones, Mahalovich and even Sands are earning more looks. Cade Cowell will as well but not quite yet.

Reactions: SI_NYC
Not unless there is serious injury.

They were saying both Jordan Morris and Sonora could be replaced due to injury. We won't pull in a Euro guy so I would anticipate like a Bedoya or Lleget to get a call in.

What is going on with Aidan Morris? Left for personal reasons?

They were saying both Jordan Morris and Sonora could be replaced due to injury. We won't pull in a Euro guy so I would anticipate like a Bedoya or Lleget to get a call in.

What is going on with Aidan Morris? Left for personal reasons?
I haven’t heard about Bedoya in quite awhile. Did he have a pretty significant injury a couple years ago?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT