ADVERTISEMENT

USA Today: Where's Kamala? After All the Hoopla and 'Firsts,' the VP Isn't Living Up to the Hype

EasyHawk

HR Legend
Jun 21, 2015
When presidential contender Joe Biden anointed U.S. Sen. Kamala Harris as his running mate in 2020, expectations for her were high.

Harris’ addition to the team energized the Democratic base (she was the first Black woman and first person of South Asian descent on a major party presidential ticket). And at 58, she has brought relative “youth” to the White House.

Given Biden’s age, 80, Harris has also received extra scrutiny because there's a real possibility she might need to step into the Oval Office. Plus, she had been considered an obvious choice to run in 2024 if Biden does not.

That being said, identity politics can only take you so far, and Harris hasn’t brought much else to the table. The consensus seems to be that she has done an extraordinarily unimpressive job as vice president.

One recent headline from Reason magazine said: “Kamala Harris Is a Flop.” And in November, Slate didn’t mince words: “If Biden Runs Again, He Should Pick a New VP.”

Absent from duty
Many of us could be forgiven if we’ve forgotten Harris is even around. Her public appearances aren’t frequent, nor widely publicized. Even Biden botched the pronunciation of her first name at an event this week – something she has made clear she cares about. Ouch.
The White House oddly avoids sending her to events that could showcase her strengths. For instance, Biden headed to California on Thursday to see the damage caused from endless rain in recent weeks. Yet, one area of the state hit hard by the deluge is Harris’ home turf of the Bay Area. Why wasn’t she chosen to represent the administration?

Instead, she’s talking about the 50th anniversary of Roe v. Wade in Florida on Sunday.

Shortly after taking office, Biden gave Harris the significant job of handling the border crisis. He has not taken back the role, but he might as well have.
It took Harris months before even showing up to the border (her one and only visit), and during the Biden administration, migrant encounters at the border have risen to record levels.

It’s not just border cities that are dealing with this. New York Mayor Eric Adams, struggling with the influx of migrants in his city, called this week for a “national czar” to handle the crisis – apparently not realizing Harris is already tasked with the job.

So where is Kamala Harris?
When Harris is out in the world talking to folks, the outtakes often come back to haunt her.
For instance, at an event last April at the Vandenberg Space Force Base, she told a group of adults – and experts on space – that “space is exciting.” She continued: “It spurs our imaginations, and it forces us to ask big questions. Space – it affects us all, and it connects us all.”

Trust me, you need to watch it. Perhaps it would have been a more appropriate presentation at a grade school.

COVID power grab: From student loans to masks, why does Biden want to keep us in a perpetual 'emergency'?

Speaking of school, she was roasted for an October speech she gave announcing $1 billion for schools to replace old buses with electric ones. She got caught up in the moment:

“Who doesn’t love a yellow school bus, right? Can you raise your hand if you love a yellow school bus? ... Many of us went to school on the yellow school bus, right? It’s part of our experience growing up.”
Given Biden’s propensity for awkward gaffes and misstatements, Harris should have been his foil. That’s not the case. Nor have the early predictions that she could outshine her boss come true.

In fact, all this could be encouraging Biden to run again in 2024, something he seems increasingly likely to do. And I don’t think that’s what anyone – especially Democrats – expected with Harris as VP.

According to Politico, Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg is easily withstanding Republican attacks on his rudderless tenure. But that’s not the real story. Champagne corks are popping in Vice President Kamala Harris’s office as Buttigieg’s problems appear to be wrecking his chances to replace President Biden on the 2024 Democratic ticket if Biden chooses not to run.

Given the continuing obsession with everything Trump and the various circuses in the Republican Party, much of the establishment media and punditocracy are ignoring the shadow primary unfolding for the 2024 Democratic nomination. Like an iceberg, this primary is mostly under the surface. After all, jockeying to replace an incumbent president who harbors hopes of a second term is fraught with risk.

It's odd how much Republicans dislike Harris and worry about her more than any other VP I can remember. They hated her from the start and they don't even know why.
Given all the morons and scoundrels on the GOP side I think they shouldn’t throw stones, but they’re not wrong. She’s pretty bad. I worry she will cause Biden to run again in 2024 and we really don’t need that.

Given all the morons and scoundrels on the GOP side I think they shouldn’t throw stones, but they’re not wrong. She’s pretty bad. I worry she will cause Biden to run again in 2024 and we really don’t need that.
I read an article recently how she is Joe's best security against any impeachment concerns. Nobody can imagine her as President. it is scary to think at his age he absolutely has to make it almost another two years to avoid her taking office.

Reactions: Hawk_82
From what I have seen Pete sure seems to get treated as the guy by the media. He is easily the highest profile Secretary of Transportation ever.

That vote is the only official power she holds. Bitching she isn't doing enough despite having very limited power is the spin.
That was my point about it being difficult to stand out as a “good” VP. The role makes it impossible.

But in hindsight, she was an awful choice. I thought she’d be a great addition to the ticket given her past achievements but no way I’d vote for her for President.

That was my point about it being difficult to stand out as a “good” VP. The role makes it impossible.

But in hindsight, she was an awful choice. I thought she’d be a great addition to the ticket given her past achievements but no way I’d vote for her for President.
She's not an amazing choice but she's not an awful choice. With VPs the goal often is to get someone in there who does no harm and follows the mission. In this respect she has been more than serviceable, so I have no complaints and think that even talking about her is silly.

Where Biden royally screwed up is choosing Garland. That guy does has actual power. A lot of it. And he's used it to do nothing. Trump has been running circles around our laws yet Garland keeps punting. He's the Brian Ferentz of his position. Biden needs to can him yesterday.

I read an article recently how she is Joe's best security against any impeachment concerns. Nobody can imagine her as President. it is scary to think at his age he absolutely has to make it almost another two years to avoid her taking office.
The author of your alleged articles believes that Biden would be convicted in the Senate.....interesting.

Reactions: artradley
Dick Cheney would like a word.
LOL, always the victim. You guys threw the Cheneys out because they went against Orange Jesus.
As far as VPs go Cheney wasn't horrible. He did the technical aspects of the job fairly well. Not my favorite, but Spiro Agnew bad. And, although he did shoot a man in the face, Cheney didn't kill anyone like Aaron Burr did. Burr was also a seditionist. I don't think that has been said of Cheney.

If Kamala were white, male, and named Quayle, the Dems and the media would never stop talking about all of the stupid comments made the last 2 years. But she's a Black female, so shhh.

If Kamala were white, male, and named Quayle, the Dems and the media would never stop talking about all of the stupid comments made the last 2 years. But she's a Black female, so shhh.
Sure.

She's not an amazing choice but she's not an awful choice. With VPs the goal often is to get someone in there who does no harm and follows the mission. In this respect she has been more than serviceable, so I have no complaints and think that even talking about her is silly.

Where Biden royally screwed up is choosing Garland. That guy does has actual power. A lot of it. And he's used it to do nothing. Trump has been running circles around our laws yet Garland keeps punting. He's the Brian Ferentz of his position. Biden needs to can him yesterday.
So your idea of a good vp is that she gets in line and does no harm? You don't think that is underselling the second highest position in American government?

I work with a few idiots who don't do anything, by your definition, they would be great candidates for vp. 🤣

So your idea of a good vp is that she gets in line and does no harm? You don't think that is underselling the second highest position in American government?

I work with a few idiots who don't do anything, by your definition, they would be great candidates for vp. 🤣
Yes. Constitutionally the VP is only afforded two powers: Preside over the Senate and become President if the current President cannot. There are literally no other official duties or powers beyond that.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT