ADVERTISEMENT

Utah State QB says Iowa's defense is very predictable / basic

pistachio1999

HR Legend
Nov 29, 2021
https://saturdaytradition.com/iowa-...efense-is-not-very-confusing-ahead-of-week-1/

Utah State QB says Iowa's defense is 'not very confusing' ahead of Week 1​

Paul Harvey | 1 MINUTE AGO

Utah State QB Cooper Legas is getting ready for a season opener and Week 1 matchup against Iowa. That pits Legas and the Aggie offense against Phil Parker’s defense, traditionally one of the toughest units in the country.

During his game week press conference, Legas was asked about what he sees out of the Hawkeye defense and the challenges in the matchup. While the QB admitted Iowa’s defense is always really good, Legas does not anticipate being confused by what the Hawkeyes throw at him.

“For me, just watching film so far, I think it’s not the most confusing defense I’ve ever seen. They really stick to base stuff, they just do it really well, which is what makes them so awesome every year,” said Legas. “I think there’s — I played defense that confuse me more as far as knowing where guys are going to be and what their responsibilities are, but I think they just do a really good job of not having any busts in coverage or being in the wrong place.”

Legas also cited big and fast athletes on the Iowa defense that allow the Hawkeyes to cover the field well. He expects to be able to recognize the coverages in the season opener but notes the defense is good at doing what they’re supposed.

“They have big fast athletes that cover the field very well,” Legas explained. “I think I’m able to recognize coverage decently with them, but they just do a good job of doing what they’re supposed to do.”

Whether or not Legas is confused by the defense, he will still be facing a unit that allowed 13.3 points per game a season ago and forced 1.8 turnovers a game. Playing in Kinnick Stadium, the Hawkeyes are bound to be tough to score against in the season opener.

Reactions: Bishop1971
I don't have any concerns with the comments. I think most fans would agree. He needs to sound confident to his team and to his coaches.

The hawk front 7 should have a really good day against the run, maybe not so much the 1st quarter as I imagine those first real plays are a bit different from practice. Parker's teams are usually very sound in gap coverage and tackling. I think the only way Utah St runs it well is if it a bad tackling day.

So that leaves Utah St passing and Iowa is one of the best for pass break ups and interceptions. Dejean and Harris, if totally healthy, should be very good in coverage. X has two years in basically so he knows his assignment and Schulte is very good as is Castro. So with a good pass rush and we have good pass rushers the back 4 or 5 should be very good

But we have somewhat new starting linebackers so will Utah St try to pass to TEnds and running backs on early downs against 3 Lbkrs? Maybe this is where Utah will get its best plays.

-BNsZD.gif

Everything with the Defense is the same as the Offence. It's all about execution.
Defense does it exceptionally well. Offense not so well last couple years.
This year the Offense gets it done.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Also want to say, someone should be selling shirts that state DB Cooper and have a caricature of Coop with DB Cooper shades on. Brisk seller for any who know who DB Cooper is.
look, anybody who knows who DB cooper was (not is, but was) should claim the reward money.

https://saturdaytradition.com/iowa-...efense-is-not-very-confusing-ahead-of-week-1/

Utah State QB Cooper Legas is getting ready for a season opener and Week 1 matchup against Iowa. That pits Legas and the Aggie offense against Phil Parker’s defense, traditionally one of the toughest units in the country.

During his game week press conference, Legas was asked about what he sees out of the Hawkeye defense and the challenges in the matchup. While the QB admitted Iowa’s defense is always really good, Legas does not anticipate being confused by what the Hawkeyes throw at him.

“For me, just watching film so far, I think it’s not the most confusing defense I’ve ever seen. They really stick to base stuff, they just do it really well, which is what makes them so awesome every year,” said Legas. “I think there’s — I played defense that confuse me more as far as knowing where guys are going to be and what their responsibilities are, but I think they just do a really good job of not having any busts in coverage or being in the wrong place.”

Legas also cited big and fast athletes on the Iowa defense that allow the Hawkeyes to cover the field well. He expects to be able to recognize the coverages in the season opener but notes the defense is good at doing what they’re supposed.

“They have big fast athletes that cover the field very well,” Legas explained. “I think I’m able to recognize coverage decently with them, but they just do a good job of doing what they’re supposed to do.”

Whether or not Legas is confused by the defense, he will still be facing a unit that allowed 13.3 points per game a season ago and forced 1.8 turnovers a game. Playing in Kinnick Stadium, the Hawkeyes are bound to be tough to score against in the season opener.
drive-50cent.gif

• Haha
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan

Well, here I was thinking Utah State might get double digits against us in this first game, but..............not anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan
man... I think you all are under selling Utah State..
they play super fast.
they will be snapping the ball 8 seconds after the whistle blows.
our defense won't have time to call plays... it's gonna be a lot like backyard football.
if Utah State is more ready than Iowa's defense..
it's gonna be on our offense to try and keep up with Utah State's incredibly fast offense.

this one could get ugly

this Utah State team could very well win 11 games again this year
maybe more

man... I think you all are under selling Utah State..
they play super fast.
they will be snapping the ball 8 seconds after the whistle blows.
our defense won't have time to call plays... it's gonna be a lot like backyard football.
if Utah State is more ready than Iowa's defense..
it's gonna be on our offense to try and keep up with Utah State's incredibly fast offense.

this one could get ugly

this Utah State team could very well win 11 games again this year
maybe more
With a QB that throws as many picks as TDs?

Reactions: F5n5
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT