ADVERTISEMENT

Various types of rock / stone whatever

Bank of Hawk

HR Legend
Feb 24, 2007
I have never been confident in calling up a gravel yard and ordering the correct type of rock or quantity. Sometimes I want general white looking rock for a driveway, or there is rock with some stuff mixed in that will harden a bit but not like concrete. Seems like there is too much variety of rock for a complete novice to make a proper order. Any rules of thumb for this?

I have never been confident in calling up a gravel yard and ordering the correct type of rock or quantity. Sometimes I want general white looking rock for a driveway, or there is rock with some stuff mixed in that will harden a bit but not like concrete. Seems like there is too much variety of rock for a complete novice to make a proper order. Any rules of thumb for this?
My rule of thumb, as for most things, is to ask a lot of questions.

Or consult the internet ....

Reactions: Bank of Hawk
3/4 road stone with fines is what we use to build our driveways up. Once that is done and packed in, white rock certainly looks the best. However, it's a little more expensive, and when we move snow, we just end up with it in the yard. The fines help pack the rock on the lane/driveway down, seems to work the best for us.

_128035222_gettyimages-1190238723.jpg

Go to your local quarry, look at samples, talk to someone. That kind of thing is hard to do much with online and be confident in your decision.

Call the quarry and tell them what you're looking for. They know what they've got and what it's best used for.
They'll point you in the right direction.

Go to your local quarry, look at samples, talk to someone. That kind of thing is hard to do much with online and be confident in your decision.

This. And just go and ask. Not HD, go to the local materials / landscaping places. My exp they are very knowledgable and always willing to help a DIYer.

Out here, it's referred to as CA6. They use is as base for almost everything. Many of the driveways in the county have CA6 for the first 5 feet then pave the rest of the driveway. OR, just use it for the whole drive and then reapply as it's cheap but packs well. I used it to fill the hot tub base I built.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT