ADVERTISEMENT

W/L Predictions?

?

• Total voters
I'm gonna go 10-2 and think we are up for one of the at large bids.
I think we lose to OSU and one more because we unfortunately do a decent job of losing one game a year we shouldn't. I think that one could be Wis or ISU
I'm with you. OSU might be the best team in the country. Although they may very well be favored in the rest, Iowa plays a lot of close games and winning all of the close games you're supposed to is pretty unlikely. 10-2 or 9-3. I put on my black and gold glasses and went with 10-2.

I'll go 9-3. Maybe better if it turns out that the offense makes better strides under our new OC than I'm expecting. Yes, I DO expect to see some improvement, but not sure how significant I should expect the improvement to be in Lester's year 1.

New year, new coordinator. There are so many questions our offense, it's hard to tell how exactly things will go this year. We're favored in all but one of our games. We went 10-2 last year, and one of those losses was a fluke, with the worst offense in Iowa history. We return a huge amount of starters on both sides of the ball, and things really can't get any worse offensively.

Cade and Sullivan are immensely huge upgrades to Deacon, our offensive line may be the most experienced in the Ferentz era, and we retained all of our running backs. Tim Lester seems like a smart and experienced coach, he was able to turn around other program's dreadful offenses, so why not Iowa's? As for the defense, what else is there to say? It's a Phil Parker defense, and we'll be just fine.

With that in mind, I see us dropping one stupid game, possibly two. Iowa State, Michigan State, Washington, and Wisconsin are the iffy games for me.

Illinois State - W: I see this as a statement game for Tim Lester and the offense. They'll run up the score and get as much reps as possible against the worst team on the schedule.

Iowa State - For some reason, I keep seeing predictions that Iowa State will win this game handily. I personally don't see Iowa State being as good as everyone says they are. It's still in Kinnick under a Phil Parker defense. This will be a close, ugly game.

Troy - W

Minnesota - W: Revenge game. Minnesota has been the quietest team in the B1G in the off-season. They have nothing going on. If we head into this game 3-0, with our offense starting to gel, I see this as a solid win.

Ohio State - L: No one is beating OSU this year. They have the best team money can buy. Ryan Day was given a blank check and was told to beat Michigan and get a National Title. Any less than that and he's probably gone. I can only hope we put up a fight, especially for Playoff purposes later in the season.

Washington - Washington has to be the biggest question mark on our schedule. They lost practically everyone, from players to coaches. This is a team rebuilding their identity. Iowa has to win this one. Hopefully it's a night game with a nice chill in the air.

Michigan State - This one is tricky, in my opinion. Michigan State was not a good team last year, but it took a Cooper Dejean 4th Quarter miracle to beat them. They're still trying to rebuild, but with this being in East Lansing, I can see this as being one of the stupid games we drop, despite being an objectively better team.

Northwestern - W

Wisconsin - W: The only success Wisky had against us last year was when they were running the ball. They kept abandoning it, which is why I think we won the game. They no longer have their excellent RB, so I think they'll stick to the pass even more this year. Despite us not having Coop in the secondary, Kinnick Magic will do its thing and we'll win another ugly game against the stinkin' badgers.

UCLA - W: This is another tricky game, because the west coast is Iowa's kryptonite. UCLA by this point in the season will likely be done, because they are a bad team. If we play a fundamentally sound game and win the turnover/takeaway battle, this should be a solid win.

Maryland - W: This is another team people are high on, and I can't figure out why. They just lost their entire identity, Tagovailoa, who was their QB for what felt like a decade. I don't think Maryland has anything going for them. The only advantage they have is Iowa will be travelling from the West Coast to the East coast in the span of a week.

Little debbie - W: **** Nebraska, I'd rather die than predict we lose to those cocksuckers.

Floor: 9-3
Ceiling: 11-1

9-3

tOSU is a loss. They're the class of the conference. We could win all the rest, but we've leaned on the D too much. Look at all the 1 possession games the last couple of years. We're going to lose a couple of those. Nebraska is the mostly likely 2nd loss followed by Wisconsin and UCLA.

I think people underestimate just how much this team was bailed out by the ST and D last year.

Ceiling: 11-1 (doubtful, we can't rely on the D every week) lose to tOSU
Floor: 8-4 lose to tOSU, ISU, Wisc, Nebbie

Last edited:
I like this team's potential and think 10-2 could happen. But an awful lot of unknowns, and several scary games on the schedule make me think 3/4 losses is more likely. I'll stay optimistic and say 9-3 but darned if I know which are the three.

OSU is the sure loss.
Iowa State, Wisconsin, UCLA, and Nebraska are all tossups at best.
Minny, MSU, NU, and MD are all losable. Wash loses a lot but I don't buy that will be a cakewalk either.

Heck if the offense is as bad as last year, a winning record would be a feat against this schedule.

Reactions: BonzoFury
New year, new coordinator. There are so many questions our offense, it's hard to tell how exactly things will go this year. We're favored in all but one of our games. We went 10-2 last year, and one of those losses was a fluke, with the worst offense in Iowa history. We return a huge amount of starters on both sides of the ball, and things really can't get any worse offensively.

Cade and Sullivan are immensely huge upgrades to Deacon, our offensive line may be the most experienced in the Ferentz era, and we retained all of our running backs. Tim Lester seems like a smart and experienced coach, he was able to turn around other program's dreadful offenses, so why not Iowa's? As for the defense, what else is there to say? It's a Phil Parker defense, and we'll be just fine.

With that in mind, I see us dropping one stupid game, possibly two. Iowa State, Michigan State, Washington, and Wisconsin are the iffy games for me.

Illinois State - W: I see this as a statement game for Tim Lester and the offense. They'll run up the score and get as much reps as possible against the worst team on the schedule.

Iowa State - For some reason, I keep seeing predictions that Iowa State will win this game handily. I personally don't see Iowa State being as good as everyone says they are. It's still in Kinnick under a Phil Parker defense. This will be a close, ugly game.

Troy - W

Minnesota - W: Revenge game. Minnesota has been the quietest team in the B1G in the off-season. They have nothing going on. If we head into this game 3-0, with our offense starting to gel, I see this as a solid win.

Ohio State - L: No one is beating OSU this year. They have the best team money can buy. Ryan Day was given a blank check and was told to beat Michigan and get a National Title. Any less than that and he's probably gone. I can only hope we put up a fight, especially for Playoff purposes later in the season.

Washington - Washington has to be the biggest question mark on our schedule. They lost practically everyone, from players to coaches. This is a team rebuilding their identity. Iowa has to win this one. Hopefully it's a night game with a nice chill in the air.

Michigan State - This one is tricky, in my opinion. Michigan State was not a good team last year, but it took a Cooper Dejean 4th Quarter miracle to beat them. They're still trying to rebuild, but with this being in East Lansing, I can see this as being one of the stupid games we drop, despite being an objectively better team.

Northwestern - W

Wisconsin - W: The only success Wisky had against us last year was when they were running the ball. They kept abandoning it, which is why I think we won the game. They no longer have their excellent RB, so I think they'll stick to the pass even more this year. Despite us not having Coop in the secondary, Kinnick Magic will do its thing and we'll win another ugly game against the stinkin' badgers.

UCLA - W: This is another tricky game, because the west coast is Iowa's kryptonite. UCLA by this point in the season will likely be done, because they are a bad team. If we play a fundamentally sound game and win the turnover/takeaway battle, this should be a solid win.

Maryland - W: This is another team people are high on, and I can't figure out why. They just lost their entire identity, Tagovailoa, who was their QB for what felt like a decade. I don't think Maryland has anything going for them. The only advantage they have is Iowa will be travelling from the West Coast to the East coast in the span of a week.

Little debbie - W: **** Nebraska, I'd rather die than predict we lose to those cocksuckers.

Floor: 9-3
Ceiling: 11-1
ISU should be decent but I agree, they’re getting a lot of smoke for a 7-6 team and got drummed at JTS last year.

ISU should be decent but I agree, they’re getting a lot of smoke for a 7-6 team and got drummed at JTS last year.
24/7 sports has Iowa and ISMoo both with 19 returning starters. Not sure how much of that is good (see Iowa OL) but I'm sure they expect the clowns to improve with their QB and OL back. FYI Nebbie also returns 19 starters.

The one thing that gives me pause is that every iowa team that has ended up with 10 or more wins had a bona-fide dominant star on it. usually a punter or db but not unusual to also have a outstanding lb, DL, OL, or TE. This year we seem overall decent but is there a single guy who can dominate his position.

The one thing that gives me pause is that every iowa team that has ended up with 10 or more wins had a bona-fide dominant star on it. usually a punter or db but not unusual to also have a outstanding lb, DL, OL, or TE. This year we seem overall decent but is there a single guy who can dominate his position.
I agree. Without Taylor and Coop last year we probably lose 1-2 more.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
24/7 sports has Iowa and ISMoo both with 19 returning starters. Not sure how much of that is good (see Iowa OL) but I'm sure they expect the clowns to improve with their QB and OL back. FYI Nebbie also returns 19 starters.
Vegas thinks ISU is favored on a neutral field.

HIggins and Lachey are good candidates.

Reactions: Dauminator
I wonder what sort of colorful amusing sayings east stand fans will entertain Rocco with on his first ever visit to Kinnick in about a month.

I'm gonna go 10-2 and think we are up for one of the at large bids.
I think we lose to OSU and one more because we unfortunately do a decent job of losing one game a year we shouldn't. I think that one could be Wis or ISU
Love it . More than 1/2 the fans expect 10-2 or better.

Until Iowa shows a decent offense this will be the case. Even after doing it for two years in a row, the pundits don't expect you to with with D and punting.
I have done very well betting the under on Hawkeye games. I think the over may be a good idea this year.

Reactions: BonzoFury
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT