ADVERTISEMENT

Wagner at Practice Today...

AristotleIowsg-I agree -not one swear word teaches anything-also some recruits are turned off-some parents did not raise their children to be cussed out -it teaches nothing

According to Jellyfish10, "Lots of 'F' words being used." I presume those would be
"F" words like...fabulous, fantastic, fervent, felicitous, fearless, first-class, flashy, flawless, fleet, focused, formidable, and fun? Fantastical... ;)

But really, other "F" words, IMHO of course, have no more business on the football field than they do in the classroom. Teaching is teaching, and good coaching is teaching.

KF says he's not just building football players, he's building men. Well, maybe a ban on the infamous "F" word would be an effective building block in that process.

I had the misfortune of attending several football practices--all of which were open in those days--that were directed by short-term head coach Frank Lauterbur. His staff swore so much that it made Andrew Dice Clay blush.

I've played and I've coached, and I never found swearing helpful in either role. Like I said, the football field is just another classroom, and it should be treated as such...IMHO.

AristotleIowsg-I agree -not one swear word teaches anything-also some recruits are turned off-some parents did not raise their children to be cussed out -it teaches nothing
A ringing endorsement from the board millennial. And by millennial, I mean 1000 years old.

Me, love me some ****en curse words. They are perhaps the most efficient way in the English language to emphasize and underscore a point, and with great effect. Simply look, it y'alls attention so well that you can't stop talking or thinking about it.
Lastly, I don't trust a man or woman that doesn't swear. There is something off about those types.

Much appreciated jelly. Btw if you can't handle a coach grabbing you by the face mask and ripping you a new one with or without swear words, I don't want you on my team. What they hell are you going to do when the pressure is really thick? Ask the ref to make everyone be polite? Gtfo.

Last edited:
Can I just say I have a source?

This is what I have been told...

No 1 O and D looked really good and both lines looked good. No 2 offense did not. Concern at CB and WR. Petras can really sling it and Mansell has not looked at as good. I don’t want anyone to get carried away, just passing along what a little birdie told me.

remember last year when all our QBs looked horrendous and then NS happened in the fall. Hard to tell sometimes with a kid until they get to an actual game.

Reactions: E.RogerCoswell
Watching the WR’s. Don’t know if it means anything but thought you might like to know.

Different indirect source said same. Also indicates knows a person relatively in the know who has stated Wagner is all but a Hawk already unless something just irresistible pops up elsewhere soon. All heresay til it happens though. Crystal ball says he will be a Hawk.

Different indirect source said same. Also indicates knows a person relatively in the know who has stated Wagner is all but a Hawk already unless something just irresistible pops up elsewhere soon. All heresay til it happens though. Crystal ball says he will be a Hawk.

I think people need to pump the brakes regardless. IF he ends up staying at Iowa certainly athletically he would be a huge asset and by all accounts he seems like a good dude. However it seems like there are already unrealistic expectations for him. Being away from football for a few years, a huge upgrade in talent, learning the playbook, etc all need consideration. I hope he stays and would look fantastic in a black and gold football uniform but I am trying to be realistic in my expectations.

Also if I missed anyone I apologize. I’m running on 3-4 hours of sleep in 48 hours and didn’t have the brain power to read thru all of the notifications.

Just caught that the bird noticed Colbert as one of the main LBs. Yuuugggeee!!! I don't mean to keep bringing this back on Jelly, thanks again man, anyone talk to the new coach or have any info on the new coach from southern?

Reactions: jellyfish10
Just caught that the bird noticed Colbert as one of the main LBs. Yuuugggeee!!! I don't mean to keep bringing this back on Jelly, thanks again man, anyone talk to the new coach or have any info on the new coach from southern?

IIRC he is up to #234 correct? I know the LB position is a huge question mark but I’m excited to see the new guys play. Sounded like the group as a whole looked good.

I think people need to pump the brakes regardless. IF he ends up staying at Iowa certainly athletically he would be a huge asset and by all accounts he seems like a good dude. However it seems like there are already unrealistic expectations for him. Being away from football for a few years, a huge upgrade in talent, learning the playbook, etc all need consideration. I hope he stays and would look fantastic in a black and gold football uniform but I am trying to be realistic in my expectations.

Also if I missed anyone I apologize. I’m running on 3-4 hours of sleep in 48 hours and didn’t have the brain power to read thru all of the notifications.
Plus I believe he only played 1 year of high school football iirc.

Reactions: jellyfish10
According to Jellyfish10, "Lots of 'F' words being used." I presume those would be
"F" words like...fabulous, fantastic, fervent, felicitous, fearless, first-class, flashy, flawless, fleet, focused, formidable, and fun? Fantastical... ;)

But really, other "F" words, IMHO of course, have no more business on the football field than they do in the classroom. Teaching is teaching, and good coaching is teaching.

KF says he's not just building football players, he's building men. Well, maybe a ban on the infamous "F" word would be an effective building block in that process.

I had the misfortune of attending several football practices--all of which were open in those days--that were directed by short-term head coach Frank Lauterbur. His staff swore so much that it made Andrew Dice Clay blush.

I've played and I've coached, and I never found swearing helpful in either role. Like I said, the football field is just another classroom, and it should be treated as such...IMHO.
I do not know of a single successful coach that doesn't let out an obscenity or two....coaching/teaching competitively takes passion, sometimes passion leads to dropping an F bomb.....I understand what you are saying, but keep those stones inside your glass house please

Screw off, Jelly! I’ve already pinned my hopes on the success of the next two years based solely on Wagner’s decision.

Also, info is much appreciated.;)

Screw off, Jelly! I’ve already pinned my hopes on the success of the next two years based solely on Wagner’s decision.

Also, info is much appreciated.;)

No worries mate! You are in good company though Birk...it seems like much of Hawkeye Nation has already put him in the NFL. Don’t get me wrong that would be absolutely fantastic, I’m just trying to be realistic...either that or I’m just getting old.

Reactions: dbrocket
I'm a little confused on this he can play at Iowa this fall or an FCS school this fall correct. If you wants to go to another FBS School he has to sit out a year right.

Signed,

Robert Montgomery Knight

Is he too tall to play guard next year?

I don't think so. I am not a line expert but I think the fear of taller interior linemen is guys can get "inside" on them and leverage them. If he can keep leverage I don't see why he couldn't succeed. I would love to see a line of AJ, Keegan, Levi, MK, and TW. That is a young line with a lot of talent. Hopefully Levi can push hard enough to make KR back to guard an option.

Reactions: HawkeyeHoltkamp
I mean the coaching staff has got to be licking their chops with this kid I mean from the video he really looks like he has separation speed at the power 5 level plus you factor in his height. By the way thanks for all the tid bits from Spring practice much appreciated

I sleep deprived and take this with a grain but my birdie said the following...

1st team WRs looked good. Impressed with Easley and BSmith. Not impressed with 2nd team WR. Smith didn’t drop a ball but very few deep balls.

Both lines looked good and thought Nixon not playing wasn’t the worst thing ever. Good depth there.

This might break the innerwebz, but a new appreciation for JG at safety. A leader, makes all the calls, and practices his ass off.

Dillon Doyle at lb looked great. Needs to add weight but the bird was really impressed. Thinks he will be a stud.

Unhappy with a starting cb (not naming names) and that he had a poor attitude and seemed disinterested. Got into it with another teammate and when the teammate went to apologize, said db just walked away.

Petras may be a little taller than NS. Looked like he was in good shape with a good arm.

As far as AW goes, bird talked to him and he hasn’t made up his mind. AW said he is looking at WR not TE. AW met with Copeland and Doyle. From what I gather, the decision to play hoops was more of a lack of high major offers for FB until late interest was shown. Talked about eligibility as far as 2 years to play if he stays.

Ross squatting around 650#.

One db was told 4 plays in a row to get of the f’n field if he couldn’t guard a freshman. Same guy struggled with the calls.

RBs solid but not spectacular.

There’s more but my brain is mush right now.
I love your little mushy brain!!!

I mean another thing his video shows him returning kicks for touchdowns why not special teams why not kick returns

Plus I believe he only played 1 year of high school football iirc.
True, but that was enough for him to get some interest, and at least a couple of offers. Film on him looked pretty good as well. Dudes that are 6'6" or 7" and are solidly built, and can run don't grow on tree's. I agree that expectations should be wait and see right now. I would think it would take him all the off season, and most of the year to get in the groove, but think he could be a factor next year. Kind of and x factor guy. Certainly think he has more of a chance to make an impact on the gridiron, then on the hardwood.

Reactions: Wadzinator
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT