ADVERTISEMENT

Wagner at Practice Today...

I don't think so. I am not a line expert but I think the fear of taller interior linemen is guys can get "inside" on them and leverage them. If he can keep leverage I don't see why he couldn't succeed. I would love to see a line of AJ, Keegan, Levi, MK, and TW. That is a young line with a lot of talent. Hopefully Levi can push hard enough to make KR back to guard an option.
And not if our QB's are in the 6'4" to 5" range like Stanley and Petras......

No worries mate! You are in good company though Birk...it seems like much of Hawkeye Nation has already put him in the NFL. Don’t get me wrong that would be absolutely fantastic, I’m just trying to be realistic...either that or I’m just getting old.
To be clear, I was completely joking. That said, I’d love to have him stick with Iowa.

Reactions: jellyfish10
I do not know of a single successful coach that doesn't let out an obscenity or two....coaching/teaching competitively takes passion, sometimes passion leads to dropping an F bomb.....I understand what you are saying, but keep those stones inside your glass house please

I saw a special segment on Lute Olsen a few years ago before he retired. They said he never cussed. Yelled a good bit, but you could hear on the tapes "Gosh darn it!". Thought it was very interesting and I never forgot it.

According to Jellyfish10, "Lots of 'F' words being used." I presume those would be
"F" words like...fabulous, fantastic, fervent, felicitous, fearless, first-class, flashy, flawless, fleet, focused, formidable, and fun? Fantastical... ;)

But really, other "F" words, IMHO of course, have no more business on the football field than they do in the classroom. Teaching is teaching, and good coaching is teaching.

KF says he's not just building football players, he's building men. Well, maybe a ban on the infamous "F" word would be an effective building block in that process.

I had the misfortune of attending several football practices--all of which were open in those days--that were directed by short-term head coach Frank Lauterbur. His staff swore so much that it made Andrew Dice Clay blush.

I've played and I've coached, and I never found swearing helpful in either role. Like I said, the football field is just another classroom, and it should be treated as such...IMHO.
KF swears with the best of them....just words. If that is a problem then you probably don’t fit. Not an indictment on you just not going to fit in that industry

2 year to play one at another FBS due to year of sitting out.
2 years to play 2 at FCS or Iowa. If you play another sport after 4 years of 1 at a school can play 1 year of something else. Like Timmy D coming back to run track for 1 year after football.
I wouldn't mind Wagner trying out for track, if he anchored his relay in HS, although I don't know of any times listed for him.

This thread is f***ing awesome!

images

I saw a special segment on Lute Olsen a few years ago before he retired. They said he never cussed. Yelled a good bit, but you could hear on the tapes "Gosh darn it!". Thought it was very interesting and I never forgot it.
Lute slipped up from time to time-sat behind bench and heard him say a few in his younger days. Age helps with this and I am sure he was able to control it. I coach and try not to swear but have long ways to go, each year I get better
Go to a Bama practice or Michigan or usc- been to all 3 and holy cow-definitely for MA only

According to Jellyfish10, "Lots of 'F' words being used." I presume those would be
"F" words like...fabulous, fantastic, fervent, felicitous, fearless, first-class, flashy, flawless, fleet, focused, formidable, and fun? Fantastical... ;)

But really, other "F" words, IMHO of course, have no more business on the football field than they do in the classroom. Teaching is teaching, and good coaching is teaching.

KF says he's not just building football players, he's building men. Well, maybe a ban on the infamous "F" word would be an effective building block in that process.

I had the misfortune of attending several football practices--all of which were open in those days--that were directed by short-term head coach Frank Lauterbur. His staff swore so much that it made Andrew Dice Clay blush.

I've played and I've coached, and I never found swearing helpful in either role. Like I said, the football field is just another classroom, and it should be treated as such...IMHO.
I would argue the "F" word is the most versatile and probably single greatest word in the English language. It can be a noun, adjective, verb, adverb and probably the other things that I don't know the name of (English majors help me out here). It very effectively expresses excitement, anger, joy, sorrow, exhilaration, disappointment. It's a very good attention grabber. It's also extremely therapeutic; tell me another word that comes close to providing the calming effect that a good F bomb provides.

And then of course there's the literal translation of the word...

I would argue the "F" word is the most versatile and probably single greatest word in the English language. It can be a noun, adjective, verb, adverb and probably the other things that I don't know the name of (English majors help me out here). It very effectively expresses excitement, anger, joy, sorrow, exhilaration, disappointment. It's a very good attention grabber. It's also extremely therapeutic; tell me another word that comes close to providing the calming effect that a good F bomb provides.

And then of course there's the literal translation of the word...
This guy told me one time "I don't know what the F them F-ing F-ers are doing." Kinda like you said, used it as 3 different ways in the English language.

True, but that was enough for him to get some interest, and at least a couple of offers. Film on him looked pretty good as well. Dudes that are 6'6" or 7" and are solidly built, and can run don't grow on tree's. I agree that expectations should be wait and see right now. I would think it would take him all the off season, and most of the year to get in the groove, but think he could be a factor next year. Kind of and x factor guy. Certainly think he has more of a chance to make an impact on the gridiron, then on the hardwood.

I think hes got to be setting his sights on 2019 but why go somewhere else and completely eliminate the possibility of even stepping on a field this year.

It wouldn't make sense to me, and Iowa obviously has far better resources than an fcs.

Plus the transition should be much in a place you've been living for 3 years vs a new setting.

Reactions: kceasthawk
The clergy and the judiciary should probably avoid profanity. As for rest of us, its Katie bar the f***ing door.

Wow. That's crazy. So my girlfriend is from Virginia and she literally just used "Katie bar the door" as an expression last night. I gave her a WTF? look and asked her what it meant. I had never heard it until last night. Weird.

Are you from the South by chance?

Wow. That's crazy. So my girlfriend is from Virginia and she literally just used "Katie bar the door" as an expression last night. I gave her a WTF? look and asked her what it meant. I had never heard it until last night. Weird.

Are you from the South by chance?

My father is from Waterloo, Ia & uses “Katie bar the door” all the time... says it at the ends of games.. I’ve always gathered it means, it’s over or finished at least when comes to sporting events! Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
My father is from Waterloo, Ia & using “Katie bar the door” all the time... says it at the ends of games.. I’ve always gathered it means, it’s over or finished at least when comes to sporting events! Lol
I’ve never heard it but you’re probably right. Just another form of “turn out the lights”.

Katie Bar the door is a saying used to describe trouble ahead or back in the day the bars and pubs would bar the doors at closing time to keep out troublemakers or maybe keep the drunks in. Used it alot but always get funny looks. Never really knew where it came from. I was in the Navy so I use alot of Navy slang too.. Maybe i heard it well in the Navy. So for an example: If something was going wrong and I knew it was gonna be bad but we proceeded to keep doing it, I would say.... Ok... Katie Bar the door. and shake my head.

Reactions: rivercityjazzman
My father is from Waterloo, Ia & uses “Katie bar the door” all the time... says it at the ends of games.. I’ve always gathered it means, it’s over or finished at least when comes to sporting events! Lol

Yeah, I think it means look out because trouble is coming.

I never once heard it living in Iowa. I think it's more common in the South.

Reactions: Stormn Norman
H
Yeah, I think it means look out because trouble is coming.

I never once heard it living in Iowa. I think it's more common in the South.
Heard this from my parents often enough back in the 60's on ...my coaches too (NW Iowa). Always more of a warning, get ready, the opposition is coming, hard and fast.

@jellyfish10 insider updates only PLZ!

Nothing great really and some I just can’t share.

The wr beating the DB was Ragaini. Wirfs is a stud (shocker) and Stanley’s feet looked really good. Hankins looked quick and fast and while Turner looked the part, it didn’t translate to the field. Seemed pretty raw.

The most important thing tho, and something that I’ve been sitting on, is that Iowa’s practice jerseys are dated, baggy, and just kinda gross. Man it feels good to get that off my chest.

The wr beating the DB was Ragaini. Wirfs is a stud (shocker) and Stanley’s feet looked really good. Hankins looked quick and fast and while Turner looked the part, it didn’t translate to the field. Seemed pretty raw.

The most important thing tho, and something that I’ve been sitting on, is that Iowa’s practice jerseys are dated, baggy, and just kinda gross. Man it feels good to get that off my chest.
Ragaini looks like the kind of kid KF gets late that comes in under the radar, and ends up being a really solid player. That would be nice of course to add an impact player to the WR room. Big T Wirfs the FIRST Iowa frosh to start at tackle for the Hawks under KF. This was no fluke. I'd see him 2nd team all BIG next year, 1st team junior year, and AA 1st team senior year, and a first round draft pick after that season. Good to hear Stanley's foot work progressing. Definetly something he need to improve on from his solid first season.

Dude nice knowing you, you seem like a great guy. But I assume you are now getting the banhammer.
tenor.gif

Wirfs and Aleric probably BOTH jump to the NFL as juniors

Just my guess. The last 3 guys I remember getting playing time at OT as freshmen: Bulaga , Reiff and James Daniels. All 3 jumped early.

Wirfs and Aleric probably BOTH jump to the NFL as juniors

Just my guess. The last 3 guys I remember getting playing time at OT as freshmen: Bulaga , Reiff and James Daniels. All 3 jumped early.
Gives Plumb and Kallenberger time to learn. We also have tackles Miller and Endres coming in next year. You may be correct in assuming Wirfs and Jackson leaving early.

ADVERTISEMENT