ADVERTISEMENT

Warren Didn't Expect Backlash From Cancelling Football

This seems another red flag to me that Warren may have got himself in over his head in this position. Even if I don't like the decision not to play I could respect the man if he had taken a firm stance and communicated clearly to all parties involved and then stood by it. Not seeing the backlash coming tells me he didn't think this through clearly.

Its how it was handled and the complete lack of transparency that pisses everyone off. The B1Gs terrible leadership during this process is embarrassing and will have negative consequences for the conference. Warren has to be fired for this terrible leadership even if he is just taking marching orders from the cowardly presidents. To think high school, college and NFL football will be played in many of these states and no B1G football is just crazy to think about.

Its how it was handled and the complete lack of transparency that pisses everyone off. The B1Gs terrible leadership during this process is embarrassing and will have negative consequences for the conference. Warren has to be fired for this terrible leadership even if he is just taking marching orders from the cowardly presidents. To think high school, college and NFL football will be played in many of these states and no B1G football is just crazy to think about.

Some states only B1G teams aren't playing

I think we all live in our own little bubbles and I’m sure in his bubble in Minneapolis or Chicago or wherever he’s been spending the past few months most people he talks to probably think it’s a no-brainer that we should be in lockdown as much as possible until there is a vaccine. But he’s finding out now that lots of people in the rest of the country don’t feel that way.

And with all of the other leagues playing with minimal problems so far this decision looks dumber all the time.

I think we all live in our own little bubbles and I’m sure in his bubble in Minneapolis or Chicago or wherever he’s been spending the past few months most people he talks to probably think it’s a no-brainer that we should be in lockdown as much as possible until there is a vaccine. But he’s finding out now that lots of people in the rest of the country don’t feel that way.

And with all of the other leagues playing with minimal problems so far this decision looks dumber all the time.

Too bad he's not going to change his mind. B1G athletics will never recover in our lifetimes.

Reactions: bowlhawk
If he didn’t expect backlash, what did he expect?

With reports coming out about the “data” they used being bogus and he’s holding firm they won’t revisit “their” decision he still doesn’t expect backlash?
sounds like a guy you want leading your organization to me

Reactions: kceasthawk
Curious if he took the initiative to brainstorm with his peers to at least get their perspective on best way forward.

You'd think that would have been part of the decision-making process, but I'm questioning if those talks with other commissioners even took place.

One of our presidential candidates has promised to shut down the whole country again. Backlash?

And our resident "see I told you so, been saying for months we wouldn't play" posters on here keep getting quieter and quieter about "being right".

Curious if he took the initiative to brainstorm with his peers to at least get their perspective on best way forward.

You'd think that would have been part of the decision-making process, but I'm questioning if those talks with other commissioners even took place.
I talked with a very good source about what happened. The P5 Commissioners had been having a daily zoom call to discuss a way forward. Warren blindsided the other four with the 10 game conference only schedule. The Commissioners and AD's were totally pissed with this. They all felt betrayed. In the interest of unity, they all came back with 10 game schedules several days later. Then Warren cancelled the season with NO discussion with the other conferences. Warren apparently thought he could intimidate the other four into cancelling, but you don't push the SEC or Texas and Oklahoma around. The three conferences still playing have strong unity among each other, and the Big 10 and Pac are on their own. It was a stupid play by Warren, a power grab it appears that didn't work. He will never be trusted by the other conferences again. Delaney yes, Warren no.
(Big 10 should fire his ass and get Delaney back on a temp basis asap. We need all four conferences playing)

If he didn’t think about all angles of having a season and not having a season and all the ramifications from both sides, good and bad, then he is not the person you want leading your organization.

Good leadership looks at things from all angles before making a decision. In this case, they made a decision but should of allowed teams to go to camp with their full team numbers to see how camps ran with positive and negative cases in the month prior to the start of the season but shut it down before even trying. That is the sad part about all of this, not even trying.

Someone has to fall on the sword and go down with the ship, #firekevinwarrennow

If he didn’t think about all angles of having a season and not having a season and all the ramifications from both sides, good and bad, then he is not the person you want leading your organization.

Good leadership looks at things from all angles before making a decision. In this case, they made a decision but should of allowed teams to go to camp with their full team numbers to see how camps ran with positive and negative cases in the month prior to the start of the season but shut it down before even trying. That is the sad part about all of this, not even trying.

Someone has to fall on the sword and go down with the ship, #firekevinwarrennow
Exactly. Every day when he does say something, he only digs the hole bigger. Probably a good reason he's been mostly quiet. The guys has nothing of substance to say...

I talked with a very good source about what happened. The P5 Commissioners had been having a daily zoom call to discuss a way forward. Warren blindsided the other four with the 10 game conference only schedule. The Commissioners and AD's were totally pissed with this. They all felt betrayed. In the interest of unity, they all came back with 10 game schedules several days later. Then Warren cancelled the season with NO discussion with the other conferences. Warren apparently thought he could intimidate the other four into cancelling, but you don't push the SEC or Texas and Oklahoma around. The three conferences still playing have strong unity among each other, and the Big 10 and Pac are on their own. It was a stupid play by Warren, a power grab it appears that didn't work. He will never be trusted by the other conferences again. Delaney yes, Warren no.
(Big 10 should fire his ass and get Delaney back on a temp basis asap. We need all four conferences playing)
I have no sources but I’ve read a lot of similar things in leaks on Twitter. The interesting thing is the Big12, which was in a relatively weak position for the past decade, is now in a position of relative strength because if they can play this year while we don’t then it will go a long ways towards putting them in a stronger financial position than us. So I’m sure they have plenty of motivation to make this work. And evidently we don’t want to admit we were wrong so we are motivated to keep our season shut down no matter what.

Reactions: AnyOneButYou

You really think the Commissioner of the B1G only talks to people in Chicago or Minneapolis. I mean, I suppose it's conceptually true, but if true from a practical perspective, just another nail in his coffin.

I have no sources but I’ve read a lot of similar things in leaks on Twitter. The interesting thing is the Big12, which was in a relatively weak position for the past decade, is now in a position of relative strength because if they can play this year while we don’t then it will go a long ways towards putting them in a stronger financial position than us. So I’m sure they have plenty of motivation to make this work. And evidently we don’t want to admit we were wrong so we are motivated to keep our season shut down no matter what.
Unfortunately you may be right. at this point the Commish is digging in his heals, not wanting to admit what a poor course he and the decision makers chose...

Reactions: hawkosx
This seems another red flag to me that Warren may have got himself in over his head in this position. Even if I don't like the decision not to play I could respect the man if he had taken a firm stance and communicated clearly to all parties involved and then stood by it. Not seeing the backlash coming tells me he didn't think this through clearly.
This. So far the leadership from Warren is weak and disappointing. His time in office might be short. Cincinnati will playing be playing football but OSU won't. What is wrong with that picture.

Deep down they're celebrating this, sports being cut, and so on. I mean if all that saves one life...
God forbid anyone would die. These are young people. There any number of places an athlete could contract the virus. The ped mall, downtown, classrooms, dorms and social gatherings. Because an athlete gets the virus does not automatically mean it came from a teammate. Yes, I understand the concern if one member of the team has the virus he/she could pass it onto others. But the staff of each sport is making certain that all the proper guidelines and precautions are in place. For athletes, the risk is less than it is for the rest of us.

Reactions: hawkeyemark56
God forbid anyone would die. These are young people. There any number of places an athlete could contract the virus. The ped mall, downtown, classrooms, dorms and social gatherings. Because an athlete gets the virus does not automatically mean it came from a teammate. Yes, I understand the concern if one member of the team has the virus he/she could pass it onto others. But the staff of each sport is making certain that all the proper guidelines and precautions are in place. For athletes, the risk is less than it is for the rest of us.

I agree. I'd argue they have less chance getting it with organized sports.

There is no glee from the Big 12 or any other conference about the Big 10 not playing. They wanted P5 unity from the beginning. The Big 10 not playing hurts the other conferences chances. Acting in unison would have provided everyone cover. Warren needs to wake up.

Reactions: hawkosx

This is a great comment to the people who say do you really think he wanted to shut down football and lose all that money. People of his ilk live in that bubble. It's not he just wanted football shut down he's of the belief more things should be shut down.

It speaks to his utter lack of understanding of the Big Ten. It is not only the oldest conference in the country, but it has been playing Football continuously since the Spanish American War, the 1918 Flu Pandemic, World War I, the Great Depression, World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, The Gulf War, 911! Not only does it speak poorly of him, but what of his PR advisors and all of the partners including Fox, ESPN, CBS? When America desperately needed a lift from its life being shutdown for eight months the Big Ten was a No Show. He abandoned the tens of thousands of people employed at the schools, in the jobs sustained by the Big Ten football in eleven states and fourteen communities. The 85 million residents of Big Ten states and the many millions of alumni of its member Institutions could well be watching SEC, ACC and Big 12 football this fall as well as high school football in 7 of the 11 states. The Big Ten has been emasculated by the decisions of somebody with zero previous experience with Bug Ten athketics. He went to Penn and Grand Canyon University, was a player agent and work for a pro football team. No major college experience. What were the Presidents thinking?

IF (yes it’s a big if) everyone who isn’t b1g commissioner has come to realize the stupidity of canceling, is there some way any way to rescue a fall season at this point?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT