ADVERTISEMENT

Weightlifting belts

Tenacious E

HB Legend
Dec 4, 2001
Do they really do anything? My son has been working out and is starting to put up what I consider to be significant weight. If he should be using one I want to get him one. But if it is just for show I won’t bother.

Last edited:
If he's not got good core stability, or he has back issues, sure, get one. But don't let it be a crutch for poor form and stability. Better to build the muscles in the core to properly support the back and keep the weight down than rely on a crutch. I've squatted over 400 and never used one, but you really have to do it right.

Do they really do anything? My son has been working out and is starting to put up what I consider significant weight. If he should be using one I want to get him one. But if it is just for show I won’t bother.

He should focus on strengthening his core. Weightlifting belts reinforce the core. It is better to strengthen the core than to have to reinforce it. I agree with previous poster who said only use belt for max lifts. If you use belts all the time, your core will not get stronger, like it should.

Most importantly, make sure the kid is getting proper instruction and being monitored for good form. Poor form leads to injuries and that's not the goal. He should be at a point where he's slowly climbing in weight on his squat, but he should be doing lots of other exercises and lifts to be full-body strong, not just in the "show-off" exercises. My goal, always, when I lift heavy (for me) is to still walk out of the gym. Swinging your dick around and limping out won't impress anyone.

Most importantly, make sure the kid is getting proper instruction and being monitored for good form. Poor form leads to injuries and that's not the goal. He should be at a point where he's slowly climbing in weight on his squat, but he should be doing lots of other exercises and lifts to be full-body strong, not just in the "show-off" exercises. My goal, always, when I lift heavy (for me) is to still walk out of the gym. Swinging your dick around and limping out won't impress anyone.
He’s on a push/pull/legs/rest split. He does bench, military press, flies, shoulder flies, and tricep extensions on push. Squats, hex bar jumps, Bulgarian split squats, and Russian leg curls* for legs. Pull consists of cleans, pull ups and weighted pull ups, seated cable rows, shrugs, and preacher curls. Works in deadlift sometimes. Off day he works abs and neck. His core is strong.

*edited to change leg curls to Russian leg curls

Last edited:
He’s on a push/pull/legs/rest split. He does bench, military press, flies, shoulder flies, and tricep extensions on push. Squats, hex bar jumps, Bulgarian split squats, and leg curls for legs. Pull consists of cleans, pull ups and weighted pull ups, seated cable rows, shrugs, and preacher curls. Works in deadlift sometimes. Off day he works abs and neck. His core is strong.

In that case, no need whatsoever for him to wear a belt unless he is doing close to max.

Reactions: Tenacious E
He’s on a push/pull/legs/rest split. He does bench, military press, flies, shoulder flies, and tricep extensions on push. Squats, hex bar jumps, Bulgarian split squats, and leg curls for legs. Pull consists of cleans, pull ups and weighted pull ups, seated cable rows, shrugs, and preacher curls. Works in deadlift sometimes. Off day he works abs and neck. His core is strong.
Add in front squats and single arm overhead dumbbell lunges.

In that case, no need whatsoever for him to wear a belt unless he is doing close to max.
Agree, and even as he gets near max, he should still work to not use the belt. PR in small increments and quit trying if form starts to drop off. Sounds like he has a good trainer, so he should be fine without a belt. Sometimes they're more mental than physical.

Agree, and even as he gets near max, he should still work to not use the belt. PR in small increments and quit trying if form starts to drop off. Sounds like he has a good trainer, so he should be fine without a belt. Sometimes they're more mental than physical.
Well I don’t know about that as his trainer is him and me. We put this split together based on input from HROT actually, along with some other internet resources.

Strongest I've ever been was after doing the linear progression with the starting strength program. 3 days a week, got plenty of rest, and my lifts went up alot.

The reason I like a weight belt is it reminds me where I'm pushing against when I breathe in. I only wear it during my working sets.

Don't front squats encourage your use of quads?
Butt goes back. Stay on your heels. On the way up you have to thrust your hips more forward to get them under the weight. If they have trouble getting heels on ground, have them put the balls of their feet on 2 and a half’s. Watch how much it corrects them and how harder it becomes if they’ve been on their toes the whole time.

Only time I ever used a belt was post injury to gain confidence that shit wouldn't just start spilling out all over the place when I lifted anything of significance over my head. IMHO, they're unnecessary for the average person outside of injury or pushing yourself to something you probably shouldn't be doing anyway.

This. I was lucky to have a close family friend who was an elite powerlifter teach me proper technique. While I was still working out I only did three lifts. Incline bench, squats and deadlifts. He also got me into Yoga for flexibility and Tai Chi for balance.

Do they really do anything? My son has been working out and is starting to put up what I consider to be significant weight. If he should be using one I want to get him one. But if it is just for show I won’t bother.

As I recall your son is lifting decent weights at this point, and probably has pretty good form. I believe a general rule is that newbies and average lifters aren’t ready for a a belt because you need to first strengthen your core and get your technique perfected. Once you have good form and a strong core (ie you’re intermediate to advanced) then a belt can be useful for deadlifts and squats. I believe some general rules are:
  • You are ready for a belt when you can deadlift 2x your body weight
  • Then, you should use it when you are lifting 70% or more of your one rep max, or an RPE of 7
My son is a somewhat competitive power lifter who majored in Health and Exercise Physiology; I’ll ask him today what he thinks. I do know he uses a belt, but I believe he deadlifts well over 3x his body weight.

Nailed it. Barbbell curls use a ton of back movement, so you'll need the belt for support.
The leg curl exercise he does involves him being on his knees with me holding/pushing down on his ankles. He then has a controlled fall to the floor to a push up position, and then he curls himself back upright using as little of a push off from the floor as possible. I used the wrong name because I am not sure what those are called. After a google I believe the are called Russian leg curls or falling leg curls

Last edited:
As I recall your son is lifting decent weights at this point, and probably has pretty good form. I believe a general rule is that newbies and average lifters aren’t ready for a a belt because you need to first strengthen your core and get your technique perfected. Once you have good form and a strong core (ie you’re intermediate to advanced) then a belt can be useful for deadlifts and squats. I believe some general rules are:
  • You are ready for a belt when you can deadlift 2x your body weight
  • Then, you should use it when you are lifting 70% or more of your one rep max, or an RPE of 7
My son is a somewhat competitive power lifter who majored in Health and Exercise Physiology; I’ll ask him today what he thinks. I do know he uses a belt, but I believe he deadlifts well over 3x his body weight.
Deadlift is 2x to 2.5x his body weight. He’s 170 now.

The leg curl exercise he does involves him being on his knees with me holding/pushing down on his ankles. He then has a controlled fall to the floor to a push up position, and then he curls himself back upright using as little of a push off from the floor as possible. I used the wrong name because I am not sure what those are called. After a google I believe the are called Russian hamstring curls or falling hamstring curls

I’m pretty sure those posters were being facetious.

Reactions: SeaPA
I’m pretty sure those posters were being facetious.
Oh i see now. There are attachments that fix to you ankle/calf where you lean forward on a rack and hamstring curl backward toward the ceiling but they just meant using bad form for biceps.

Last edited:
The leg curl exercise he does involves him being on his knees with me holding/pushing down on his ankles. He then has a controlled fall to the floor to a push up position, and then he curls himself back upright using as little of a push off from the floor as possible. I used the wrong name because I am not sure what those are called. After a google I believe the are called Russian leg curls or falling leg curls

Sounds like something @natural could have helped with. RIP

• Sad
If you're going to hashtag his handle at least respect his memory by spelling it correctly.

tenor.gif

Spoke to my son, and he agreed with what I said. For newbies who are still working on core strength and form, they aren't ready for a belt. But once they are strong (and > 2x deadlift is strong) they should use it for deadlifts and squats when they are doing heavier lifts, such as 70% of one rep max.

He does own two age-group state records and his hoping to break an Open state record next month, and as I said he has a degree in HEP, and trains under a guy who trains a lot of top level power lifters; so he knows what he's talking about. When I told him your guy is 170 and can deadlift more than 2x, he said "oh yeah, he's ready to use a belt."

My apologies for only adding stupidness to the thread. Serious question.

Will the belt help keep you from releasing a pool of liquid anal fury on the floor when deadlifting >2x? Or should you have something else to handle that?

My apologies for only adding stupidness to the thread. Serious question.

Will the belt help keep you from releasing a pool of liquid anal fury on the floor when deadlifting >2x? Or should you have something else to handle that?
I think the preferred exercise aid for that issue would be a toilet if your bowels feel irritated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT