ADVERTISEMENT

Well **** I guess Iowa FB never changes. Looks like we are in for another year of QB crap

Low and absolutely embarrassing.

I know Joey Labas was rumored to be a pothead, and probably was, but I would take Labas stoned any day over Deacon Hill.

Hill was the worst quarterback in the country last year. I know when things aren’t going well, everyone’s favorite quarterback is the one on the sideline signaling in plays, but there was literally no downside to trying a different quarterback last year. Hill was that bad.
Weaknesses

Slow
Inaccurate
Turnover prone
Mediocre arm strength

Strengths

Big
Could take a hit

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
Stanely was pretty good?

Three-year starter at Iowa went 27-12 and threw for 8,302 yards with 68 TDs and 23 INTs. Ranks 2nd in Hawkeye history in career TD passes (68), 2nd in passing yards (8,302) and 3rd in total offense
This is one of those cases where stats don't tell the whole story. He was just pretty good. Most of the time he didn't "elevate" the offense and I think his numbers actually went down over his career, iirc. He was not a special QB. We haven't had one of those since 2002. We have QBs we win with, not because of.

On the plus side, the OL and running have repeatedly look quite good.

bs.gif

Stanely was pretty good?

Three-year starter at Iowa went 27-12 and threw for 8,302 yards with 68 TDs and 23 INTs. Ranks 2nd in Hawkeye history in career TD passes (68), 2nd in passing yards (8,302) and 3rd in total offense

Plus was 3-0 in bowl games.

(Stanzi also 3-0)

Still have special place for Stanzi in my heart though as he was QB during my college years in Iowa City.

If Iowa had a Stanley quality QB every year, they would never not win 10 games. He was more than serviceable.

This is one of those cases where stats don't tell the whole story. He was just pretty good. Most of the time he didn't "elevate" the offense and I think his numbers actually went down over his career, iirc. He was not a special QB. We haven't had one of those since 2002. We have QBs we win with, not because of.
His yards went up every year with his senior year being the highest, his completion percentage went up every year, only thing that wasn't his high his senior year was TD's dropped off after throwing 26 his first two years. So that's not right.

If you don't think Tate, Stanzi and Beathard weren't the reason Iowa won some games there's really no point in talking about any of it because they absolutely did. Hell they were the only reason we won some games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greenway4Prez
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT