ADVERTISEMENT

Wellmark to leave Iowa exchange

jamesvanderwulf

HR Legend
Nov 27, 2015
People's Republic of Johnson County
ACA collapsing under it's own weight. Lucky for me I was enrolled before ACA although my premiums did triple during the Obama administration's 8 years. Trump needs to sit back let ACA implode just like it was designed to do. Hard to fathom that all those savings from lower ER visits have had no impact on premiums. :rolleyes:

Des Moines-based insurer's decision to affect 21,400 enrollees

By Chelsea Keenan, The Gazette High costs and the Affordable Care Act's still-uncertain political future have pushed Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield to decide to withdraw from Iowa's insurance exchange as well as no longer sell ACA-compliant plans come Jan. 1.

The decision was not an easy one, company officials said Monday in a phone interview with The Gazette. But the Des Moines-based insurer has lost about $90 million through the individual market in Iowa while those enrolled with those plans saw a nearly 43 percent premium increase this year.

'We stayed in as long as we thought it was prudent,' Wellmark Chairman and Chief Executive Officer John Forsyth said. 'But we can't put our company at financial risk for a small number of Iowans.' The decision affects about 21,400 of the company's enrollees - or about 1.3 percent of its more than 1.66 million Iowa members. Coverage will remain intact until the end of this year.

This change does not affect the 76,600 people who bought individual or family health plans before the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare, went into effect Jan. 1, 2014.

This change also does not affect members with plans through their employer, including small-group

► WELLMARK, PAGE 11A

Image_0.jpg

'We stayed in (the Affordable Care Act insurance exchange) as long as we thought it was prudent,' Wellmark CEO John Forsyth says. Above, Wellmark's Cedar Rapids office is seen at 600 Third Ave. SE.

Obamacare plans, or those with Medicare supplement plans.

Though Wellmark has sold ACA-compliant plans - health plans that cover certain 'essential benefits,' including maternity care and services for mental health and substance abuse - since 2014, it waited three years to enter the Iowa exchange, selling plans through joint ventures with hospital systems for the first time during the 2017 open enrollment season.

'We felt that we really did the right thing not going onto the exchange,' Forsyth said. 'We wanted to be successful, and we did what we thought was the right thing to do at that point in time. So we're not second guessing. If we stayed another year, I'm pretty confident we'd lose an awful lot of money.' In September, Wellmark announced it would scale back some of its Obamacare market health plans in Iowa, including dropping gold-tiered plans, and it would stop selling ACA-compliant plans in South Dakota starting Jan. 1, 2017.

Wellmark isn't the only insurer coming to this conclusion. Last year, UnitedHealth Group announced it would pull out of 30 states, including Iowa, while the Washington Post reported just last week that analysts said Anthem is 'leaning toward exiting' many markets.

The remaining insurers selling plans on the Iowa exchange include Minnesota-based Medica, Gundersen Health Plan and Aetna, even though Aetna announced in August it would pull out of most states.

Insurers must submit 2018 forms and rates for ACA-compliant plans on and off the marketplace starting in early May, according to the Iowa Insurance Division.

'We are very concerned about this development, but Iowa is not alone as ACA markets around the country are being left with few to no options available to consumers,' Iowa Insurance Commissioner Doug Ommen said in a news release. 'It's concerning given that Iowa has now had two carriers leave the ACA's individual health insurance market in the last two years. We will continue looking for ways to protect Iowa consumers.' Forsyth acknowledged choices are becoming more limited for the 50,000 or so Iowans purchasing insurance on the Obamacare exchange, adding the company was 'forced to make a difficult decision.' 'My only advice is to see who is in the market still and shop. Make the best decision they can,' he said.

The Affordable Care Act expanded access to health insurance, Wellmark officials said, but they think the affordability piece needs to be better addressed through more than just subsidies to enrollees. Premiums for Wellmark's ACA-compliant plans average $560 compared with premiums of $315 for grandfathered plans or transitional plans, despite offering comparable benefits.

That's partially because individuals buying ACA-compliant plans are sicker and more costly. What's more, President Donald Trump's decision not to enforce the mandate financial penalties for those who do not buy insurance - likely could mean younger and healthier Iowans will be less likely to buy health insurance plans.

'Our hope is to get back in when the market is sustainable for the longer term,' Forsyth said. 'We don't know if that is two, three or four years from now, but when we think circumstances are right, we'll be there.' Those circumstances include a more longterm viable pool of individuals, which Forsyth said can be created through a strong disincentive for not having continuous coverage, and through financial assistance and more effective administration of special enrollment - outside the open enrollment period - through requiring documentation; a way to more broadly share catastrophic expenses, either through high-risk pools or reinsurance; and more flexibility within health plan designs.

'How can we have something that's really good - better than what Iowa used to have and better than under the ACA - but be viable for long term?' he asked. 'I'm not trying to be political here. You can repeal and replace or fix the existing legislation. We're agnostic on it. We're not trying to make political statements.'

It's been clear on both sides of the aisle that that the ACA needs changed. I don't understand why you want it to implode. Everyone knows the Republicans have the power to do with it as they wish. Letting it implode will simply piss off a bunch of potential voters.

No, it's not collapsing under its own weight, it's collapsing because of Republican actions to sabotage it and their irresponsible handling of their "replacement" legislation and the uncertainty that it's engendered regarding Ryan/Trump Care. Yes, it truly is disheartening seeing wingnuts gleeful over cutting millions of Americans off from affordable health care. Ideology over responsibility for the Trumpkins and their dear leader! They own it now, and the people who will be losing their coverage will know who to blame.

No, it's not collapsing under its own weight, it's collapsing because of Republican actions to sabotage it and their irresponsible handling of their "replacement" legislation and the uncertainty that it's engendered regarding Ryan/Trump Care. Yes, it truly is disheartening seeing wingnuts gleeful over cutting millions of Americans off from affordable health care. Ideology over responsibility for the Trumpkins and their dear leader! They own it now, and the people who will be losing their coverage will know who to blame.

It's the republicans fault that a shit health care plan was rammed down their throats?

Reactions: hawkeye54545
I'm very critical of Obamacare and I've said as much, but this is a very poorly written and confusing article.

For starters, Wellmark has only been on the ACA Exchange website for 3 months. They just entered it in 2017.

From what it sounds like, they are getting out of the individual market due to ACA requirements. So they only have 21,400 enrollees who have bought ACA compliant plans since 2014. The 76,600 people who's plans were grandfathered in are fine. Those might be the only private plans sold by Wellmark going forward.

So out of 1.66 million Iowa Wellmark members, 1.56 million of them have plans through their employer.

I get that this is part of the 'everyone's dropping out' narative, but Wellmark barely dipped their toes in the water if I understand this correctly.

It's collapsing because those who wrote the 1300 page document didn't understand the math and have over the last 7 years delayed introducing parts of it. This isn't R's sabotaging... R's didn't write it for a federal system, R's didn't vote for it, R's didn't write in the exemptions. And Wellman BCBS isn't leaving because RyanCare was written without a House vote a few weeks ago.

Obamacare exists today because it is a tax, and a tax the young/healthy are willing to individually pay in order not to spend more for a massively high-deductible plan. That lack of money from the young/healthy means the insurance agencies are losing money due to the expenses the older/unhealthy are incurring. And the money that profitable insurers were to pool together to 'help offset' is negligible.

I'm very critical of Obamacare and I've said as much, but this is a very poorly written and confusing article.

For starters, Wellmark has only been on the ACA Exchange website for 3 months. They just entered it in 2017.

From what it sounds like, they are getting out of the individual market due to ACA requirements. So they only have 21,400 enrollees who have bought ACA compliant plans since 2014. The 76,600 people who's plans were grandfathered in are fine. Those might be the only private plans sold by Wellmark going forward.

So out of 1.66 million Iowa Wellmark members, 1.56 million of them have plans through their employer.

I get that this is part of the 'everyone's dropping out' narative, but Wellmark barely dipped their toes in the water if I understand this correctly.
well, in a small state like iowa, 21K people can make a difference , but also the aca bleeds over into group coverages as well , in the form of: " we need to get that procedure approved ""

Yep, they preferred to play politics on an important national issue. Same as it ever was.

You mean represent their voters who didn't want it for obvious reasons? The democratic party wanted, the republican party didn't. The democratic party voted it in without know what was in it and some how the republicans played politics? Please just stop this crap.

It's been clear on both sides of the aisle that that the ACA needs changed. I don't understand why you want it to implode. Everyone knows the Republicans have the power to do with it as they wish. Letting it implode will simply piss off a bunch of potential voters.

Unbelievable. Democrats created the mess and now shift the blame to the Republicans for not cleaning it up.

You mean represent their voters who didn't want it for obvious reasons? The democratic party wanted, the republican party didn't. The democratic party voted it in without know what was in it and some how the republicans played politics? Please just stop this crap.
I can think of at least two dems who did not want it and Obama bribed them or blackmailed them

It's collapsing because those who wrote the 1300 page document didn't understand the math and have over the last 7 years delayed introducing parts of it. This isn't R's sabotaging... R's didn't write it for a federal system, R's didn't vote for it, R's didn't write in the exemptions. And Wellman BCBS isn't leaving because RyanCare was written without a House vote a few weeks ago.

Obamacare exists today because it is a tax, and a tax the young/healthy are willing to individually pay in order not to spend more for a massively high-deductible plan. That lack of money from the young/healthy means the insurance agencies are losing money due to the expenses the older/unhealthy are incurring. And the money that profitable insurers were to pool together to 'help offset' is negligible.

Wrong. The people who wrote it understood the math very well. It is the continual efforts of Republicans to sabotage it by removing critical parts over the years along with the uncertainty caused by their continual threats that is leading insurers to withdraw. Did/does it need tweaks, most certainly, but it would be in a much healthier state today if not for Republican efforts to cripple it.

21,000 policies with $90 million in loses. Unsustainable, they had to pull out or they go under and the other 1.66 million people they cover lose their insurance too.

Reactions: unIowa
well, in a small state like iowa, 21K people can make a difference , but also the aca bleeds over into group coverages as well , in the form of: " we need to get that procedure approved ""

There needs to be lifetime caps and a few broad but reasonable rating tables. Anyone that exceeds the cap (lets say lifetime $2mm) or needs a subsidy to pay for ins should just automatically get kicked over to medicare and pay premiums based on their ability to pay. Then we could spread the high risk/cost pool to all American citizens (thus lessening the overall pain) and we wouldn't be subsidizing private companies (which seems crazy to me).

Wrong. The people who wrote it understood the math very well. It is the continual efforts of Republicans to sabotage it by removing critical parts over the years along with the uncertainty caused by their continual threats that is leading insurers to withdraw. Did/does it need tweaks, most certainly, but it would be in a much healthier state today if not for Republican efforts to cripple it.
insurors are republican?

There needs to be lifetime caps and a few broad but reasonable rating tables. Anyone that exceeds the cap (lets say lifetime $2mm) or needs a subsidy to pay for ins should just automatically get kicked over to medicare and pay premiums based on their ability to pay. Then we could spread the high risk/cost pool to all American citizens (thus lessening the overall pain) and we wouldn't be subsidizing private companies (which seems crazy to me).

I don't think the upper end cap is as bad a problem the nickle and dime smaller stuff , which is 4 grand and more so not nickle and dime

It's collapsing under weight of something that never happened?

How about is it is something that never should have been undertaken in the first place. Insurance companies got on board I guess because of promises that were never meant to be (familiar theme over the last 8 years), so they're bailing.

Reactions: HugeEddie
What critical parts have been removed by R's over the years? Be specific and cite how they have financially impacted the revenue or expenditure stream, either from an insurer or federal standpoint.

Insurers aren't losing money because of 'continual threats'. People aren't saying, "I'm not joining a plan now because I don't know if it'll be around in 2020." That's fantasy.

Reactions: HawkMD
I don't think the upper end cap is as bad a problem the nickle and dime smaller stuff , which is 4 grand and more so not nickle and dime

That cap is killer. There was a story how Wellmark (or one of the Iowa insurers) last year had one patient that was responsible for a majority of the rate increase that everyone experienced.

Insurance is a risk management tool however the insurance company also needs to reasonably manage their risk as well, it is why we need death panels if we ever get serious about lowering cost of care. Because outside of technology driving costs down this is probably the only other way to do it.

finally we republicans have the power to do something. supposedly a new plan is to be introduced today, according to freep , hope it's not ryancare

Unbelievable. Democrats created the mess and now shift the blame to the Republicans for not cleaning it up.

As of now, it's not the GOP's fault. However, if they don't repeal it and replace it with something that works, or at the very least, try to fix the ACA, it will be the GOP's fault, and they will pay for it in 2018 & 2020.

That cap is killer. There was a story how Wellmark (or one of the Iowa insurers) last year had one patient that was responsible for a majority of the rate increase that everyone experienced.

Insurance is a risk management tool however the insurance company also needs to reasonably manage their risk as well, it is why we need death panels if we ever get serious about lowering cost of care. Because outside of technology driving costs down this is probably the only other way to do it.
If you truly believe this: how can you not be for a public option in addition to a private option?

Reactions: cigaretteman
As of now, it's not the GOP's fault. However, if they don't repeal it and replace it with something that works, or at the very least, try to fix the ACA, it will be the GOP's fault, and they will pay for it in 2018 & 2020.
freep said they are going to introduce something today, where blue states can opt to stay in the aca and red states can go if they like

Clearly the R's fault for not fixing the ACA turd. The Dems are delusional and quite funny too.

BTW, Susan Rice is a lying piece of crap.

Reactions: Greenway12

Yup they did. And for reasons that had nothing to do with their "voters."

I haven't used Wellmark for 10 years. They increased my premiums by 10-12% every year in the early 2000s. Finally got sick of it. I looked at their plan when I joined the market place and it was still over priced. Probably why they have such low participation numbers.
They'll run another million dollar surplus this year and divy it up amongst the top execs again. BAU. But they aren't the reason we see skyrocketing healthcare costs! No no.

The Republicans have nothing to do with why the insurers are pulling out.

You're speaking Liberal BS hyperbole here.

Reactions: hawkeye54545
If you truly believe this: how can you not be for a public option in addition to a private option?
Because the country can't afford it. The last thing we need is more taxes and the public option being yet another drain of the middle class.

What's this affordable healthcare you're speaking of by the way?

I take it you don't make enough to see what it does to a common persons paycheck?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT