ADVERTISEMENT

Wellmark to leave Iowa exchange

I haven't used Wellmark for 10 years. They increased my premiums by 10-12% every year in the early 2000s. Finally got sick of it. I looked at their plan when I joined the market place and it was still over priced. Probably why they have such low participation numbers.
They'll run another million dollar surplus this year and divy it up amongst the top execs again. BAU. But they aren't the reason we see skyrocketing healthcare costs! No no.
10-12% increases? Sign me up!

Like filing 4 bankruptcies responsible? That's the kind of personal responsibility you like? Lol. I don't think you understand what it means.

Link to where I said that's responsible. Trump is awful. Doesn't automatically mean the other side is right.

I haven't used Wellmark for 10 years. They increased my premiums by 10-12% every year in the early 2000s. Finally got sick of it. I looked at their plan when I joined the market place and it was still over priced. Probably why they have such low participation numbers.
They'll run another million dollar surplus this year and divy it up amongst the top execs again. BAU. But they aren't the reason we see skyrocketing healthcare costs! No no.

In your opinion, what's driving the steep rise in healthcare costs?

A major flaw of the ACA that the cubicle dwellers and unemployed of HROT seem to ignore is that it does nothing to address the the issues that contribute greatly to the costs of healthcare. I gather that most of you don't know the true cost of funding a healthcare policy

Reactions: MikeyHawk
Not an answer and they're getting steeper.
It's not in my wheelhouse. My best guess would be a combination of these 3: illegal immigrants that can't pay, medical malpractice lawsuits and greedy insurance providers.

It's not in my wheelhouse. My best guess would be a combination of these 3: illegal immigrants that can't pay, medical malpractice lawsuits and greedy insurance providers.

Not just illegal immigrants but out of work or poorer Americans. The underemployment factor has been huge. Also, healthcare is the ultimate sellers market in some categories. Plus, we are an affluent nation with a sedentary lifestyle and easy choices. This is becoming increasingly evident in our obesity rate and the afflictions associated with that and affluence.

Last edited:

And now you can add to that a lack of choices in carriers for individual policies. That's not focusing on Wellmark. It's been a trend for the past several years as the carriers bail from the exchange.

And now you can add to that a lack of choices in carriers for individual policies. That's not focusing on Wellmark. It's been a trend for the past several years as the carriers bail from the exchange.
That makes zero difference to me. I had insurance long before the ACA.

Single payer. Obama didn't go big enough. Free market failed us here.
No, the free market got tangled up by Government promises and here you go. It doesn't take rocket science to see that the second government got involved with heatlhcare, that it suddenly went belly up. This was happening even before ACA.

That makes zero difference to me. I had insurance long before the ACA.
It makes a lot of difference to others. You've been arguing against ACA this entire thread and you didn't even realize it.

Why are you standing up for it? Even many far left types realize that it sucks.

No, it's not collapsing under its own weight, it's collapsing because of Republican actions to sabotage it and their irresponsible handling of their "replacement" legislation and the uncertainty that it's engendered regarding Ryan/Trump Care. Yes, it truly is disheartening seeing wingnuts gleeful over cutting millions of Americans off from affordable health care. Ideology over responsibility for the Trumpkins and their dear leader! They own it now, and the people who will be losing their coverage will know who to blame.
Um, despite the GOP's best attempts to sabotage Obamacare, they haven't actually done anything yet, so they can hardly be blamed for the collapse.

As for premium increases, there's no way to compare Obamacare increases to pre-Obamacare because deductibles have increased dramatically, and because premiums of exchange providers have been artificially low, resulting in losses to the providers. The latter is due to the belief of the providers they would be reimbursed for their losses. Had they charged enough to make a profit, Obamacare premiums would have been much higher.

Reactions: MikeyHawk
because the aca was destructive, it screwed everyone so that Obama could brag about helping a few. it needs to go.

This and it also goes against personal and capitalistic freedoms. What could be bad about a policy you are forced to partake in or you are fined, and that is controlled by the government picking and choosing the rules.

It is basically liberal thinking in a nutshell and it is fun to watch it explode. The sooner it does, the quicker we can ALL start working towards a real solution. The GOP doesnt get off free here. They screwed up the last 8 years putting together a giant pile of dog crap just to save face. They didnt put any real work into it.

Reactions: timinatoria
As of now, it's not the GOP's fault. However, if they don't repeal it and replace it with something that works, or at the very least, try to fix the ACA, it will be the GOP's fault, and they will pay for it in 2018 & 2020.

The point is everyone knew Obamacare was a failed initiative to begin with and nothing was done. You had to force and mandate it to get it off the ground. That alone should tell you something

Reactions: volknut
This and it also goes against personal and capitalistic freedoms. What could be bad about a policy you are forced to partake in or you are fined, and that is controlled by the government picking and choosing the rules.

It is basically liberal thinking in a nutshell and it is fun to watch it explode. The sooner it does, the quicker we can ALL start working towards a real solution. The GOP doesnt get off free here. They screwed up the last 8 years putting together a giant pile of dog crap just to save face. They didnt put any real work into it.

Exactly. The ACA is done. The dems failed. Liberals are terrible people. We get it.

So, what is the right's answer? They had 8 years to figure it out. 8 years. Plus, Trump ran partly on having the "best healthcare plan ever". Where is it?

No, it's not collapsing under its own weight, it's collapsing because of Republican actions to sabotage it and their irresponsible handling of their "replacement" legislation and the uncertainty that it's engendered regarding Ryan/Trump Care. Yes, it truly is disheartening seeing wingnuts gleeful over cutting millions of Americans off from affordable health care. Ideology over responsibility for the Trumpkins and their dear leader! They own it now, and the people who will be losing their coverage will know who to blame.
Funny how the shift blames from one to the other based upon who is writing... It was Bush's fault all throughout the Obama's 8 years (except for the "good stuff" whatever that was). How does blame skip a generation and that generation created the damn thing?!

Exactly. The ACA is done. The dems failed. Liberals are terrible people. We get it.

So, what is the right's answer? They had 8 years to figure it out. 8 years. Plus, Trump ran partly on having the "best healthcare plan ever". Where is it?
How long did it take for Obama to get the ACA drummed up and rammed through? Do you wish for the folks to be harmed as well? You seem to be in a hurry to broom folks off the cliff (forgetting there are others behind you with a bigger broom).

they only had since january to figure out replacement, for 8 years it's been about repeal

Before the ACA, people complained about the uninsured clogging up the Emergency Rooms and those costs being passed along to everyone else and driving up premiums...now for some reason that's what Republicans would like to see again.

How long did it take for Obama to get the ACA drummed up and rammed through? Do you wish for the folks to be harmed as well? You seem to be in a hurry to broom folks off the cliff (forgetting there are others behind you with a bigger broom).

I'm in no hurry. Trump specifically stated he had the best healthcare plan ever. Did he lose it? Why hasn't he put that plan in front of Congress?

The right has had 8 years to figure out a better solution for healthcare for this country than the ACA. And, judging by how big a disaster the ACA has apparently been, that shouldn't be hard to find one. So ... where is it and if they don't have one yet, how long should we reasonably expect for that to happen?

Before the ACA, people complained about the uninsured clogging up the Emergency Rooms and those costs being passed along to everyone else and driving up premiums...now for some reason that's what Republicans would like to see again.
nobody complained about this because it didn't happen in this way. Obama lied and said this happened but it did not

Idk if Obama lied but I think it has more to do with him just not having a fundamental grasp or understanding of how health care works.

Idk if Obama lied but I think it has more to do with him just not having a fundamental grasp or understanding of how health care works.

Who, if anyone in government, do you believe has a solid grasp of how health care works?

The point is everyone knew Obamacare was a failed initiative to begin with and nothing was done. You had to force and mandate it to get it off the ground. That alone should tell you something

It makes no difference. If the GOP fails to replace or fix, it's on them.

That cap is killer. There was a story how Wellmark (or one of the Iowa insurers) last year had one patient that was responsible for a majority of the rate increase that everyone experienced.

Insurance is a risk management tool however the insurance company also needs to reasonably manage their risk as well, it is why we need death panels if we ever get serious about lowering cost of care. Because outside of technology driving costs down this is probably the only other way to do it.
If you truly believe this: how can you not be for a public option in addition to a private option?

I am, did you read my other post???

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT