ADVERTISEMENT

What are you and your S/O's policy on major changes to your appearance?

Hoosierhawkeye

HB King
Sep 16, 2008
So I saw something while scrolling today and basically some person changed their hair color and their spouse got upset about it and everyone thought that was a giant red flag and it ment he was controlling or abusive.

For me I just thought it was common for people in committed relationships, especially a marriage to not make major changes to their appearance without getting the clearance from their spouse. Obviously I'm not talking about medically necessary changes like glasses or something like that. But just vanity changes.

Like I wouldn't grow out facial hair without getting the ok from my spouse, I wouldn't change my hairstyle without getting the ok from my spouse. I wouldn't even get a tan without getting my spouse's ok. Same goes for her.

Are we strange? Because I always felt it was very normal that you don't change your appearance without your spouse being ok with it.

Neither of us would notice or care

You wouldn't notice? Like if your spouse changed her hair color you wouldn't notice?

If I came home and my spouses hair was anything other than it's natural color I would be asking "why the hell would you do that"

I'd lose my shit if she got a tattoo. I am pretty positive it would go about the same if the roles were reversed.

Reactions: thewop
So I saw something while scrolling today and basically some person changed their hair color and their spouse got upset about it and everyone thought that was a giant red flag and it ment he was controlling or abusive.

For me I just thought it was common for people in committed relationships, especially a marriage to not make major changes to their appearance without getting the clearance from their spouse. Obviously I'm not talking about medically necessary changes like glasses or something like that. But just vanity changes.

Like I wouldn't grow out facial hair without getting the ok from my spouse, I wouldn't change my hairstyle without getting the ok from my spouse. I wouldn't even get a tan without getting my spouse's ok. Same goes for her.

Are we strange? Because I always felt it was very normal that you don't change your appearance without your spouse being ok with it.
Interesting question. We would definitely discuss extreme departures in hairstyles - like shaved bald or a dye job. I would think we'd give each other the heads up about piercings or tattoos as well. Not sure what else there would be. A golden grill?

Reactions: artradley
I wouldn't even get a tan without getting my spouse's ok.
Vine Wtf GIF

You wouldn't notice? Like if your spouse changed her hair color you wouldn't notice?

If I came home and my spouses hair was anything other than it's natural color I would be asking "why the hell would you do that"

I'd lose my shit if she got a tattoo. I am pretty positive it would go about the same if the roles were reversed.
We've been married since 86 and we are both 59. Looks and appearence are not an essential need in our life.

Her body, her choice. It may not be my preference if she wants to shave her head, but it's not my hair.

If I want to shave off my beard, I'm not asking my wife's permission.

See I disagree. . . maybe it's due to my faith and scripture but I don't believe that my body belongs entirely to myself but also to my wife and vice versa. We share a home, a bed, DNA, saliva, children, and a bank account. Morally speaking I believe that extends to our bodies as well.

See I disagree. . . maybe it's due to my faith and scripture but I don't believe that my body belongs entirely to myself but also to my wife and vice versa. We share a home, a bed, DNA, saliva, children, and a bank account. I believe that extends to our bodies as well.
You may share all that but it sounds like your juevos are in her purse.

See I disagree. . . maybe it's due to my faith and scripture but I don't believe that my body belongs entirely to myself but also to my wife and vice versa. We share a home, a bed, DNA, saliva, children, and a bank account. Morally speaking I believe that extends to our bodies as well.
So what happens if you forbade her from getting a bob and she does it anyway?

Reactions: Moral
No again she wouldn't make any changes to her appearance without my approval as well. That's a mutual thing, not a one sided thing.
Just giving ya shit. I don't care if my s/o changes her hair color or gets a tan or whatever. I guess though i'd like a conversation if it's something that hits the bank account like a boob job or something but obviously that's an obvious conversation that'd need to be had.

So what happens if you forbade her from getting a bob and she does it anyway?

Getting a bob?

Do you mean a job?

We would both discuss if her working was good for our situation in all aspects including childcare and finances and determine together if it is a good choice. She had a job before, she had to leave the job for multiple reasons but the main reason she isn't working is due to the fact that our chlidren have to do school online due to their disabilities. They understand the material but they (especially the youngest) do not have the self help skills to attend school. The 10 year old is borderline. The 9 year old I'm convinced can do it with little problems. 8 year old wouldn't even be able to be in a special needs class.

I wouldn't change jobs without her being ok with it.

Getting a bob?

Do you mean a job?

We would both discuss if her working was good for our situation in all aspects including childcare and finances and determine together if it is a good choice. She had a job before, she had to leave the job for multiple reasons but the main reason she isn't working is due to the fact that our chlidren have to do school online due to their disabilities. They understand the material but they (especially the youngest) do not have the self help skills to attend school. The 10 year old is borderline. The 9 year old I'm convinced can do it with little problems.

a bob is a style of haircut you Runza

Getting a bob?

Do you mean a job?

We would both discuss if her working was good for our situation in all aspects including childcare and finances and determine together if it is a good choice. She had a job before, she had to leave the job for multiple reasons but the main reason she isn't working is due to the fact that our chlidren have to do school online due to their disabilities. They understand the material but they (especially the youngest) do not have the self help skills to attend school. The 10 year old is borderline. The 9 year old I'm convinced can do it with little problems.

You don't even know what a bob haircut is and you get appearance power?

You don't even know what a bob haircut is and you get appearance power?

No don't know the names of haircuts.

Now that I've looked it up it would probably be ok because it wouldn't bother me, although I would wonder why she didn't ask.

Reactions: Moral
As long as the changes have no impact on her running form, then I'm ok with them.

On a serious note, no, neither one of us ask the other about anything that we do appearance wise. She might ask my thoughts about something and then doesn't actually go through with anything but that's it. She got her hair done a bit differently before we got married last weekend, and did not ask for my permission and I'm totally fine w/ that. No pics of wife. If she wants to change something with her appearance, she's a free woman to do so. Same goes for me.

As long as the changes have no impact on her running form, then I'm ok with them.

On a serious note, no, neither one of us ask the other about anything that we do appearance wise. She might ask my thoughts about something and then doesn't actually go through with anything but that's it. She got her hair done a bit differently before we got married last weekend, and did not ask for my permission and I'm totally fine w/ that. No pics of wife. If she wants to change something with her appearance, she's a free woman to do so. Same goes for me.
just gonna bury the lede on this one?

You are very strange. I wouldn't ever ask my wife if I could trim my beard or get a hair cut, neither would she. When she goes to get her hair done I never know what she'll look like when she gets home, nor would I care. Been together since 2000 and married since 2005. I've never even thought about it.

If your spouse came home with hair dyed like the rainbow, you wouldn't notice?
That would depend whether she unlocked the door and let me out of the basement. :)

At some point I would, but I wouldn't say anything about it for at least a couple hours. It would take that long for her to stop telling how her day went and I try not to make eye contact during this time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT