ADVERTISEMENT

What can Fran do to improve this team in 2022-2023?

GrayhoundHawk

HR All-State
Aug 12, 2002
The word is out since the Iowa State game that you can't let Rebraca get too many touches which allows our shooters to square up and get good shots on passes from the post. Our guards for various reasons aren't dribble penetrating like they used to. Bowen seems to be not strong enough and Tony appears to be injured.

What do we do about this? I know faking passes would help a little bit and perhaps running some back screens with lobs but I really don't know what else we can do to get our Shooters more in a rhythm when they shoot.

I am wondering if we could play high low post with ogundele and rebraca? We are really feeling the effects of missing out in the transfer portal right now....

What do those with coaching backgrounds think?

You can’t do anything to get a shooter in rhythm. Its up to the player.

If Iowa can’t make wide open 3s they're going to lose most nights that happens.

This team needs Kris, Patrick and especially Sandfort to take a step forward this year and instead they've all been worse than last year for the most part.

Right now this team has no chemistry or rhythm and is worse than the sum of its parts.

Slow the game down early, in my opinion. I don’t see any reason to maintain high tempo and increase the amount of possessions when you consistently shoot at a lower percentage than your opponents and rank amongst the worst in the country at turning the ball over

We can probably all agree that the Iowa State game has likely been the best game for the Hawks this far. In that game: 48 field goals attempted and 19 free throws attempted for Iowa. They doubled down on tough defense, forced turnovers, and took high percentage shots + got to the line in order to win. Seton Hall was 58 FGA’s and 33 FTA’s - similar game plan.

In Iowa losses?
Nebraska: 73 FGA’s, 8 FTA’s
Eastern Illinois: 72 FGA’s, 32 FTA’s
Wisconsin: 64 FGA’s, 17 FTA’s
Duke: 63 FGA’s, 15 FTA’s
TCU: 61 FGA’s, 15 FTA’s

Offensively, get the ball to Rebraca or Murray in the post and tell them to get to the rim and either get fouled or get a bucket

Edit: Also consider switching which of my sons starts/plays more minutes, and start giving Josh Dix Perkins’ minutes (and giving him more touches within the offense)

Last edited:
You can’t do anything to get a shooter in rhythm. Its up to the player.

If Iowa can’t make wide open 3s they're going to lose most nights that happens.

This team needs Kris, Patrick and especially Sandfort to take a step forward this year and instead they've all been worse than last year for the most part.

Right now this team has no chemistry or rhythm and is worse than the sum of its parts.
A solid pass from straight ahead is great for the shooter. It allows them to square hips; shoulders and eyes up to the hoop and meet the pass much like shooting in the driveway with a sole rebounder when we grow up. It makes it easy to feel a rhythm.

We rarely passed the ball enough to get those opportunities. I counted 3 possessions like this all game. We are settling offensively and not forcing the defense to move a lot.. We shoot on 3 or less passes a lot which is ok when hot but I feel like we need to go back to working the offense more. I'm just not sure what that offense should be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bishop1971
The word is out since the Iowa State game that you can't let Rebraca get too many touches which allows our shooters to square up and get good shots on passes from the post. Our guards for various reasons aren't dribble penetrating like they used to. Bowen seems to be not strong enough and Tony appears to be injured.

What do we do about this? I know faking passes would help a little bit and perhaps running some back screens with lobs but I really don't know what else we can do to get our Shooters more in a rhythm when they shoot.

I am wondering if we could play high low post with ogundele and rebraca? We are really feeling the effects of missing out in the transfer portal right now....

Not sure but this team looks confused, lost, out of rhythm out there. Tentative? Just not looking like the same team that had some really good wins earlier in the year.

Some injuries in there have maybe taken away their rhythm and just getting well will help.

Fran is a one trick pony and he is out of tricks. He is only about offense and always has been.

Right now, only 2 people can shoot the ball - Kris and Rebacca. Dix might be shooting fine. At least he is above 25%.

Couple things I'd like to see:

1. Bring a defensive guru onto the coaching staff and make solid team D part of our DNA, not just something you do when you feel like it.

2. Find an enforcer on the glass (a Reggie Evans type) and more emphasis on rebounding.

3. Need a legit PG (News Flash, I know)

I'm surprised to see this team struggling to score so much. This is one area where I DO trust Fran. But maybe it turns out that we miss Luka, Joe W, CJF, Keegan and JBo more than people wanted to admit we would. That is a lot of offense that has walked out the doors the last couple years.

Turns out Iowa can't just reload year after year, after all...

A solid pass from straight ahead is great for the shooter. It allows them to square hips; shoulders and eyes up to the hoop and meet the pass much like shooting in the driveway with a sole rebounder when we grow up. It makes it easy to feel a rhythm.

We rarely passed the ball enough to get those opportunities. I counted 3 possessions like this all game. We are settling offensively and not forcing the defense to move a lot.. We shoot on 3 or less passes a lot which is ok when hot but I feel like we need to go back to working the offense more. I'm just not sure what that offense should be.
I agree in theory but when a team was chasing the ball trying to double like Nebraska was last night it didn't take many passes to get an open shot.

I really don't have a problem with the shot selection. (down 20+ in 2nd half they did take bad ones) Patrick and Sandfort are getting wide open shots and laying bricks. They made those last year.

Getting the ball to Rebraca should be option 1 but opponents are swarming him and he's finding open guys or they are sagging off shooters to deny the pass.

Either way guys are being left open and just not making shots.

Rebraca isn't big enough to consistently score on double teams like Garza could. He needs space to operate.

I was cautiously optimistic early on when we actually played some defense but that is now long gone. Shooters gotta shoot to get through their slumps but this team is collectively yipped out right now. Sadly it’s going to get even uglier before—if—it gets better and someone can find the bottom of the net again

Last edited:
Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Right now, only 2 people can shoot the ball - Kris and Rebacca. Dix might be shooting fine. At least he is above 25%.

Kris had 2 air balls yesterday. Hopefully just tired.
Not sure what Fran can do but anytime we start a game 3 for 28 we will lose.
I’m thinking there is something wrong internally……..every player is on edge.

Reminder.... last years team started BigTen play 1-3

and was 4-6 before they started to gel.

There is a lot of basketball yet to be played.
Optimism is good. Your facts are correct, but your context is not. Last year Iowa had a much different team than it has this year. For one, it had Keegan Murray. Kris is not Keegan. For another, it had JBo. This team bears little resemblance to last year's in any way, shape, or form.

Looking at this year's players, it is impossible for me to believe there will be a miracle turn-around. The Hawkeyes just don't play defense, at least not consistently, and they don't rebound, other than Rebraca. And nobody, not even Kris, can be counted on to score. That's the formula for a miserable, ugly, long finish to this unfortunate season. And yes, there's a lot of basketball to be played. That's the worst part of this whole thing. Iowa is two games into the Big Ten season, and I can't see a single win on the schedule, and there are 18 games to go. . .

Iowa State went 0-18 in the Big 12 in 2020-21. I'd say Iowa has a brilliant shot at besting that mark by going 0-20 in the Big Ten. ISU fired its coach after that 0-18 season. But Barta will give Fran a raise and an extension after this one.

Get Gary Close to coach shooting and rebounding.

Reactions: TampaHawkfan

Starting 5-
5-Ogundele, Mulvey
4-Rebecca
3-Murray
2-Connor
1-Bowen

Interesting to me that people are now seeing the chemistry issues, which is simply code for PM or CM and sometimes both getting minutes they simply don’t deserve.

Reactions: hoythawk
Interesting to me that people are now seeing the chemistry issues, which is simply code for PM or CM and sometimes both getting minutes they simply don’t deserve.

Not interesting at all,.. This is the normal shit that shows up here after every loss. Trolls enjoy darkness...

• Haha
Reactions: DewHawk
Not interesting at all,.. This is the normal shit that shows up here after every loss. Trolls enjoy darkness...

And when we beat Indiana it’ll be guys like you sending the all-clear and expecting that sweet sixteen in a couple months, correct?

Reactions: EZ2BJZ
And when we beat Indiana it’ll be guys like you sending the all-clear and expecting that sweet sixteen in a couple months, correct?
Nope,.. I don't play that side either. I'm a realistic fan of the program, with all it's warts and scars. I want a program that does it the right way, regardless of the final win/loss record,.. Participation in the dance is fun but it's hardly a qualifier for me.

Reactions: Pepperman
Nope,.. I don't play that side either. I'm a realistic fan of the program, with all it's warts and scars. I want a program that does it the right way, regardless of the final win/loss record,.. Participation in the dance is fun but it's hardly a qualifier for me.
Just out of curiosity, what does a “program that does it the right way” look like to you?

Connor is easily in the top 3 for this team right now. Patrick is probably playing to many minutes for a guy who really doesn't do much if he's not hitting 3s.

To me chemistry doesn't necessarily mean how well people get along it means how well they play with eachother. How well they read and anticipate eachothers movements and decisions.

Rebraca has been a beast. My favorite player on this team by far, just on effort given alone.
We wouldn't have a winning record this year without him. By far the team mvp. Kris is our best player but Rebraca is our most important. I don't think we could win a conference game if he goes down

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT