ADVERTISEMENT

What does next year's team look like?

CanadaHawk

HB All-American
Sep 22, 2006
With the loss of White and Gabe, I think this team goes perimeter next year. Laugh if you want but who are the returning scorers: Uthoff, Jok, Gesell- all essentially perimeter players. We're bound to get another perimeter scorer out of Moss, Fleming, Hutton, Ellingson, Williams for 2015. In order for us to be a frontcourt team again, Woody would have to get 15/7- that's laughable. By March next year, believe it or not, we'll be known as a perimeter team. The front court will be big rebound guys in our wins.

Uhl will try a new experimental drug that will give him 3 inches and 40lbs of pure muscle and rotate over to the center spot. Ellingson will spend the summer over in cheese land and grow 2 inches and increase his accuracy another 15%, so his 3s will be in the high 60s for season. Woody will be stretch all summer by yoga master to give his arms a true 7'1" wingspan.

Uthoff will be the next version of junk dog Robinson and take about 70% of IA's shots and make 50% of them. Gesell is the next Nash since the real one is retiring and needs to pass on his magic. Jok will caddy for MJ and pick up on his game winning clutch shots. IA will win the B1G conference next year but lose in the B1G tourny.

Next year, IA makes it to the Final four but lost to Kentucky for the final game.

In a parallel world, this happened already!

While I'm a believer in Woodbury, and think he will have a big senior year, the absence of White with no obvious replacement in sight means that Iowa's offense will come from what are now perimeter players.

Other than Woodbury there is no one on the roster that looks capable of rebounding or defending inside like Olesani and White.

The fifth starter might not be on the roster yet.
This post was edited on 3/22 9:05 PM by The Sleeping Dog

I think our recruiting class is way underrated which will help! Also, I like that Uthoff will lead our offense next year. Honestly if Jok and Clemmons can score consistently they can make another tourney run and win a game or two!

Our entire offense needs to run through Uthoff on every single possession. Gesell will need to have a huge year. Jok and Uhl need to take big steps forward for next year. 2-3 of the new recruits will need to contribute immediately. I think we will be pretty average.

I am making a slight change to my srarting 5

PG SR 6'2 Gesell
SG JR 6'6 Jok
SF SO 6'8 Uhl
PF RSSR 6'9 Uthoff
C SR 7'1 Woody

the starting line up still has plenty of height and I don't see to many team other that Purdue that have a pair of bruisers like Gonzaga did.

the reason why I moved Uthoff to PF is when I went looking he was rated a PF by a couple differents sites and was rated the 10th best PF by ESPN.

Uthoff ended the season 2nd in rebounds with 218 and led the team in blocks with 56. White had 248 rebounds and 16 blocks

Uthoff looks to be Whites replacement this fall

JU just need to be more consistent on his shooting and get his FT shooting back to where it was as a RSSO when he shot over 80% FTL. JU is 210 lbs vs White who is 228 lbs, the loss will be just like it was when Marble left. the question that needs to be answered is WHO WILL fill in for JU at the SF position.

obviously the 1st shot will go to Uhl

gay_dance.gif

Probably not quite as tough as this years team:)

Last 4 in or first 8 out. Worst case NIT 2 or 3 seed. Next year is all about recruiting. Gotta have a near top 25 2016-2017 frosh class or its gonna be a rough go after next year

This post was edited on 3/22 9:45 PM by Hawkeyegrad2006

Returning 7 solid players will help the Hawks.

The Big ten is losing a lot of good players. Iowa will
be smaller, but I think our offense will be the same.

Fran might try and go strictly zone, who knows.

I have to think Gessell, Clemmons, Jok, Utoff, Uhl, and Woodie all improve.

Also have to think that our freshman will contribute a little.

NCAA birth will happen next year. Calling 6-10 seed range again

Don't think our new class won't provide a boost as freshmen. We are getting winners from some big time programs who play the best competition in the country. I think they will be better prepared than this board gives them credit for. I can't wait for summer league.

since I just posted the possible starting 5 how can you claim it will be smaller?

even these are not really that small.

6'4 RSFR Ellingson
6'5 FR Moss
6'5/6 FR Fleming
6'6 FR Hutton
6'7 FR Wagner.

another name to watch is 6'8 234 lbs PF Anderson out of Ohio. who ESPN just listed with a IA offer.

If woodie gets into foul trouble we won't be bringing in a 6-10 sub. Also white was 6-9 and we are not bringing in
anyone who is 6-9, so we will be more wing oriented next year,

Gessell
Clemmons
Jok
Utoff
Woodie

As the starting five unless uhl makes huge strides in the off season

I think Uthoff has 1st team all Big Ten potential. Jok needs to be better, the talent is there, just very inconsistent. Losing White is obviously huge, but Uthoff, Clemmons, Gesell and Woodbury should fill the leadership void that White leaves. Uhl is not Aaron White, but he's shown flashes this year.

This is a pretty solid starting lineup, with a lot of experience.

1. Gesell
2. Jok
3. Uthoff
4. Uhl
5. Woodbury

Clemmons has a shot at Big Ten sixth man of the year. I worry about foul trouble in the front court, especially with Woodbury because he will be the only true center. If Wagner could be the second version of Melsahn Basabe, that would be huge, but it would be unfair to expect that his freshman year.

Most likely we are a 7-10 seed NCAA tourny team. I think worst case scenario is NIT and best case is a 5 seed in the NCAA. I think this team could surprise some people next year.

Gesell/Clemmons/Williams

Jok/Fleming/Moss/Ellingson

Uthoff/Hutton

Uhl/Wagner

Woodbury/ (Spring recruit)

Gessell
Clemmons
Jok
Uthoff
Woody

If you start Uhl you have very little height to bring off the bench.

Gessell
Clemmons
Jok
Uthoff
Woody

If you start Uhl you have very little height to bring off the bench.

Originally posted by STEEL125:
Gesell/Clemmons/Williams

Uthoff/Hutton

Uhl/Wagner

My first thought looking at this is WOW, are we weak at the 4 & 5 spots, Uhl is not really a 4. Asking a lot from a freshman.

Woody can never foul out or get a rest.

We obviously need a another good big that can come in and play right away.

You would think that a team that has 4 year starters at the 1 & the 5, and a guy like Uthoff would have high expectations

Just like the Zags' senior laden team, experience is a critical component of a college BB team. Woody, Gesell, Clemmons, and Uthoff (5th year!) are all seniors. Plus, IA has another FAB 5 or 6 coming in that will be great athletes to spell them. Athletes gives any team an edge. Fran will coach them into another March Madness. Let's get MAD again!

Originally posted by Hawks2405:

Our entire offense needs to run through Uthoff on every single possession. Gesell will need to have a huge year. Jok and Uhl need to take big steps forward for next year. 2-3 of the new recruits will need to contribute immediately. I think we will be pretty average.
I think we'll be below average and fortunate to be average. Jok can't dribble to save his ass (think Sapp early on, but 10x worse). I absolutely hate it when he does anything other than catch and shoot, which he's really good at, and he's the 2nd of two starters that are clumsier than pretty much everyone else that plays their respective positions in College Basketball. You can't teach what those 2 have to overcome. That's 2 of your 5 starters and minutes guys. That ain't good. I think we're in trouble, but hoping for the best.

Originally posted by CuttyDoesIt:
You would think that a team that has 4 year starters at the 1 & the 5, and a guy like Uthoff would have high expectations
True. Unless those 2 are named Gesell and Woodbury then you realize that the talent is below average and they are only consistent in being inconsistent. Uthoff could be a stud but he needs more confidence and help from teammates. When ute drive and slammed it home, I was hoping for more of the same. Instead, we went back to taking outside shots/bricks and turnovers. That's Fran's fault for not saying, "The next SOB that takes an outside shot and doesn't go to the basket will be f@#king FIRED from the team!!" Gonzaga was good but nowhere near as good as Iowa wanted to make them look. They'll beat that scumbag Alfraud but no way in Hell will they beat Duke. I hope duke crushes them by 50 and I hate Duke.

Gesell/Clemmons/Williams

Uthoff/Hutton

Uhl/Wagner

It wouldn't suprise me to see Jok play some 3, and Uthoff play some 4 out of necessity?

I agree that our guards will come more into play next season. I think
we will have great play from our forwards as well in Uthoff, Uhl, and Wagner. I think our defense is better next year as well. Hutton is known for defense and I think Wagner is as well. Wagner may surprise us and be really physical since he played football. Mentality there is alot stronger then in basketball.

Originally posted by MattFoleyHawk:
Gesell/Clemmons/Williams

Uthoff/Hutton

Uhl/Wagner

It wouldn't suprise me to see Jok play some 3, and Uthoff play some 4 out of necessity?
I agree. We might see this line-up a lot next year:

Gessell
Clemmons
Jok
Utoff
Woodie

Also could see:

Gessell
Clemmons
Jok
Uhl
Utoff

A little smaller in terms of bulk, but still a decent group of players.

We need a big body to rebound or we are gonna get killed on the boards next season. No ifs, ands, or buts. We need a banger. Counting on Uhl or one of the freshmen is not the answer. I think we are looking at an NIT-bound team next year, unless Uthoff has a lights out senior season ... Adam and Mike have been nice players but I think we have pretty much seen all we will see from them. Mike still can't hit the outside shot ... And Woody remains being inconsistent ... showing up about every 4th game ... I just don't see this team getting in next year ... And that is unfortunate because next year will be Year #6 of the Fran regime. It's time to expect more from Iowa basketball. It does not take that long to rebuild a bball program ...

Fred rebuilt an ISU program that struggling ... Next year he will have a top 10 team ... I like Fran ... He has done a decent job at Iowa ... but folks, it's time for him to step it up a notch with this program ...

Originally posted by DesMoinesHawki:

We need a big body to rebound or we are gonna get killed on the boards next season. No ifs, ands, or buts. We need a banger. Counting on Uhl or one of the freshmen is not the answer. I think we are looking at an NIT-bound team next year, unless Uthoff has a lights out senior season ... Adam and Mike have been nice players but I think we have pretty much seen all we will see from them. Mike still can't hit the outside shot ... And Woody remains being inconsistent ... showing up about every 4th game ... I just don't see this team getting in next year ... And that is unfortunate because next year will be Year #6 of the Fran regime. It's time to expect more from Iowa basketball. It does not take that long to rebuild a bball program ...

Fred rebuilt an ISU program that struggling ... Next year he will have a top 10 team ... I like Fran ... He has done a decent job at Iowa ... but folks, it's time for him to step it up a notch with this program ...

I think he will sign a JUCO big man yet. It would be silly to sign another kid to this incoming class as there is (as of now) 6 in that class (Ellingson RS'd). Need to sign someone who will be in Joks class, since he's the only one (IMHO). I'm sure Fran's figuring something out, he's knows way more than any of us!

If we shoot a higher percentage next year it will make up for some of the lost rebounding.

Originally posted by IllQChawk:

Davidson....part deux
Davidson without the shooters. Ok, Uthoff & Jok can shoot - just need more consistency. It would be nice if Gesell could discover a 3 point stroke. Clemmons could maybe contribute there as well. Otherwise, I think we're going to need to see some other guys step up if the 2015-16 squad can be labeled a good shooting team. When it comes to outside shooting prowess, not much better or worse than this year, would be my guess.

My main concern is in the paint. Right now, Woody looks to be our only true post player, unless Fran can find a good transfer or JUCO who can immediately step in and play next year. We can argue all day about whether or not Woody is up to the challenge of being the man for us down low next year, but regardless, the guy can't play 40 mpg.

And none of this is meant as a slight on the incoming class - but they'll be freshmen.

So yeah, I'm saying that I expect next year to look more like a rebuilding year, but would love to be proven wrong. I just think we're really going to miss White & Olaseni.

Originally posted by IronFist1776:

Originally posted by CuttyDoesIt:
True. Unless those 2 are named Gesell and Woodbury then you realize that the talent is below average and they are only consistent in being inconsistent. Uthoff could be a stud but he needs more confidence and help from teammates. When ute drive and slammed it home, I was hoping for more of the same. Instead, we went back to taking outside shots/bricks and turnovers. That's Fran's fault for not saying, "The next SOB that takes an outside shot and doesn't go to the basket will be f@#king FIRED from the team!!" Gonzaga was good but nowhere near as good as Iowa wanted to make them look. They'll beat that scumbag Alfraud but no way in Hell will they beat Duke. I hope duke crushes them by 50 and I hate Duke.

GOOSEFRABA, GOOSEFRABA!!! Listen to good old Dr. Buddy Rydell....

OR call:

National Mental Health Association
1-800-969-6642

They take emergency calls from anyone who needs it, and can refer to local providers if further assistance is needed.

Originally posted by The Sleeping Dog:
While I'm a believer in Woodbury, and think he will have a big senior year, the absence of White with no obvious replacement in sight means that Iowa's offense will come from what are now perimeter players.

Other than Woodbury there is no one on the roster that looks capable of rebounding or defending inside like Olesani and White.

The fifth starter might not be on the roster yet.
This post was edited on 3/22 9:05 PM by The Sleeping Dog
And for a team that clearly struggles to shoot the ball consistently, this is a very bad thing, IMO. Just not sure where the offense is going to come from next year, honestly, outside of Uthoff, and maybe Jok/Gesell.

But, I'm hoping to be proven wrong and Fran can get the most out of what we have.

Gonna need some contributions out of some freshmen IMO, if Iowa is going to make the dance next year. Either that, or land a good JUCO/transfer who can play right away.

Offense will come from transition game which will be a stronger focus next year. Count on some easy points there. Half court scoring will be hard next year. With White gone, Ufhoff will get the best defender every game and will be the focus of double teams and help. He will have a tough time finding shots, so do not count on him scoring more next year than this year. He will have to up his assist totals next year helping team mates find shots.

teams focused on shutting down White this year and he still improved,

it sure is funny how most of you are now sing a different tune about not needing a big as IA would be just fine with nothing but 6'6 to 6'7 forward trying to play the 5, talk about a complete 180 on the need for a center.

Uthoff led the team in blocks and was 2nd in scoring and Rebounding with Woodbury 3rd in rebounding. to many gloom and doomers on this board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT