ADVERTISEMENT

What does Patrick bring?

Wow the hyperbole is flowing. Apparently objectivity isn't a word or a concept that you are familiar with. This season, Iowa has played against teams that have players that have been worse defenders, rebounders, and less physical players. I'm willing to bet he isn't even the worst on Iowa's team, and if you watch Iowa's games you've seen Mulvey play.
Lastly since you used the term "ever seen", are you really saying that he is worse than a 10-year-old girl, playing her first competative game?
I'm not a Patrick fan, but I don't let my dislike of the way someone plays lead me to making unfounded statements that can be disproved in seconds. It's language like yours that creates division and distrust.

I don't think it is true that Iowa has played teams that are starting guys that are worse defenders/rebounders/less physical on defense thank Krikee at center and PMAC at the Small forward. There may have been some guys on the opposing bench that were worse.

PMAC is in a category by himself in avoiding contact. Getting few defensive fouls called on him is very telling. You watch him and you see a guy that roams the around the 3pt line, late getting to the guys on defense, attempts to block a lot of shots but rarely gets the block. Doesn't venture into scrums to fight for the ball, and the ball has to bounce to him for him to rebound. LIkes to leak out early for fast break points.

Fran has featured PMAC at the front of the press...how many steals does PMAC have in full court press? They're very rare.

Sandfort is not a stretch-4...he's on small side and lacking hops and can't defend in the post and too slow footed to defend perimeter guys. The one positive about Sandfort is he is willing to fight for rebounds and he tries a lot harder on defense.

The lineups with Krikke-PMAC-Sandfort together are the worst defensive lineup in P5 basketball. I don't see how you can get worse. They are okay on offense. I think you can play 1 of them at a time and try to hide them with 4 other good defenders surrounding them.

When I hear people say Pat is undersized I always think of Nicholas Baer at 6'7, just as skinny and less athletic averaging close to 5 rebounds and a block a game.

His build right now is that much different than white or uthoff (may have been a inch or 2 taller). White was a terrific rebounder and 100x more aggressive than pmac has ever been.

I don't want to pile on the young man, but there is nothing I can argue with in your post. Unfortunately Fran empowers that type of play by allowing him to play 30 minutes a game.

While we are at it, Sandfort, needs to focus more. Too many TO's and seems to shoot sometimes without getting his feet set. Payton does go to the boards but doesn't defend that well.

Our team needs to watch an old Bobby Knight defensive drill, bend your knees and shuffle your feet - left or right. Never give up the baseline. Get at least one hand up at all times. Get out and guard the perimeter. Perkins use to be a stellar defender, but even he has digressed.

I was happy to hear Fran talk about our poor defensive play after the game. This team needs to get more aggressive, period.
I think you mean “regressed”, but I digress.

The lineups with Krikke-PMAC-Sandfort together are the worst defensive lineup in P5 basketball. I don't see how you can get worse. They are okay on offense. I think you can play 1 of them at a time and try to hide them with 4 other good defenders surrounding them.
Do I dare say to white? or just to slow?

• Wow
Reactions: Bierhalter
I don't think it is true that Iowa has played teams that are starting guys that are worse defenders/rebounders/less physical on defense thank Krikee at center and PMAC at the Small forward. There may have been some guys on the opposing bench that were worse.

PMAC is in a category by himself in avoiding contact. Getting few defensive fouls called on him is very telling. You watch him and you see a guy that roams the around the 3pt line, late getting to the guys on defense, attempts to block a lot of shots but rarely gets the block. Doesn't venture into scrums to fight for the ball, and the ball has to bounce to him for him to rebound. LIkes to leak out early for fast break points.

Fran has featured PMAC at the front of the press...how many steals does PMAC have in full court press? They're very rare.

Sandfort is not a stretch-4...he's on small side and lacking hops and can't defend in the post and too slow footed to defend perimeter guys. The one positive about Sandfort is he is willing to fight for rebounds and he tries a lot harder on defense.

Sandfot is a tweener that's closer to a 4 than a 3 in today's game imo.

His athletic limitations are less noticeable at the 4 and you end up being able to get him more shots on the other end at that position.

The problem is he needs to play next to Freeman, Ladji or Brauns not Krikke.

You can't go small/unathletic at the 4 and pair that player with two other forwards that are even worse rebounders and defenders.

You need players that cover up the weaknesses.

He's the worst defender I've ever seen
He's the worst rebounder I've ever seen.
He's the least physical player I've ever seen.

He chooses this and there's never a consequence for it.

He just kind of wanders around the court watching basketball.

You can't have a player on the court with his mentality and complete lack of intensity.
You obviously haven't watch any amount of real basketball. These hyperboles when it comes to Patrick are simply hating on the young man. What has he done to harm the program? He's a good student, a good citizen and a decent player. I suppose he should be begging his dad to please not play him. It's too bad that some fans, and I use that term loosely, have decided to single out a player for abuse, when he has overcome so much and worked so hard to improve his game.

You obviously haven't watch any amount of real basketball. These hyperboles when it comes to Patrick are simply hating on the young man. What has he done to harm the program? He's a good student, a good citizen and a decent player. I suppose he should be begging his dad to please not play him. It's too bad that some fans, and I use that term loosely, have decided to single out a player for abuse, when he has overcome so much and worked so hard to improve his game.
Not sure if serious 🤔

Sandfort has a hard time defending because he’s always playing well out of position thanks to fran insisting on playing a huge lineup. He’s a stretch 4, not a 3 and certainly not a 2! And if you think anything will change with the defense just because fran mentioned it, well sorry to spoil it for you, it’s not going to. Maybe for a game or 2 it looks better, but rest assured it will return to the dogshit we’ve gotten used to!
☝️

No one is questioning his off the court character.
I don’t think it’s hyperbole when discussing his rebounding effort and defense. He might be one of the worst at all of those I’ve seen in college basketball. I watch a lot of college basketball.
Honestly, it should be damn near impossible to have 1 offensive rebound and 2 fouls in the minutes he plays. I doubt you can find another college basketball player ever with those two numbers. Those numbers are a direct reflection of effort.

Fran is the issue here for allowing it. Patrick is every bit as bad as Brian Common theme of dad not seeing his sons glaring weaknesses.

I don't want to pile on the young man, but there is nothing I can argue with in your post. Unfortunately Fran empowers that type of play by allowing him to play 30 minutes a game.

While we are at it, Sandfort, needs to focus more. Too many TO's and seems to shoot sometimes without getting his feet set. Payton does go to the boards but doesn't defend that well.

Our team needs to watch an old Bobby Knight defensive drill, bend your knees and shuffle your feet - left or right. Never give up the baseline. Get at least one hand up at all times. Get out and guard the perimeter. Perkins use to be a stellar defender, but even he has digressed.

I was happy to hear Fran talk about our poor defensive play after the game. This team needs to get more aggressive, period.
Sandfort has better than a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio which is pretty decent.

You can't have a player on the court with his mentality and complete lack of intensity.
A lot of potential but incurring, he's regressed while he's been at Iowa. I suspect much of it is mental and I feel for him.

I do agree, you need to get the younger guys minutes instead of playing him.

I've stood up for PMAC in the past when some here have lobbed personal attacks, such as calling him disgusting names. But I will also say that IMO PMAC should not be starting and should not be playing much. I know that some of rebounding is luck; sometimes that ball just lands in your lap. But over the course of 12 games and 26 minutes per game having only one offensive rebound is inexcusable. And having only 3 fouls just shows how he lacks aggressiveness defensively. I'd bring him off the bench and if he didn't attack the glass and get after it defensively, I'd pull him immediately. I'd make it clear it's nothing personal; just playing the guys who are gonna bring it.

I see a lot of discussion in this thread about other players. There is discussion about the team and each player on this board. Are the other players on the team good students and good students?

A starter on a Big 10 team is up for critique of performance, correct?

They're different players. Rebracca wasn't a scorer, Krikke is. Fran loves scorers. Krikke plays with energy, just is undersized. I'd love to see Brauns play 3-4 minutes per half to bring his hustle and toughness and pound on some of the opponents. Give Krikke & Freeman a little more rest.
Rebraca was the second leading scorer per game at 14+. The difference is that he was a much more solid defender and rebounder.

Oh, and speaking of defense, Patrick must lead the NCAA in least fouls per minute played at .3 fouls per game. I'm not sure how that's even possible for a guy averaging 26 minutes per game, especially a forward.

The timing of this thread came just gives me a chuckle. Not following a game but just 6am at the start of a holiday weekend. It’s not like Patrick minutes are holding them back from a tournament bid. He is was he is. I want to see young guys more but they’re still seeing the court plenty on a year that clearly is gonna be rebuilding.

The timing of this thread came just gives me a chuckle. Not following a game but just 6am at the start of a holiday weekend. It’s not like Patrick minutes are holding them back from a tournament bid. He is was he is. I want to see young guys more but they’re still seeing the court plenty on a year that clearly is gonna be rebuilding.
It’s a symptom. An acceptance of defensive passiveness, a lack of toughness that shows in 1/2 the game.

It’s a symptom. An acceptance of defensive passiveness, a lack of toughness that shows in 1/2 the game.
He’s far from the only problem though. Krikke should do more on defense too. Probably should be a better rebounder. Perkins underperforms for his experience and his potential. Payton needs to score more as no matter the coaching his skill set is going to struggle in majority of matchups on defense. Bowen misses easy layups despite his gifted athleticism ability.

This isn’t just an issue of philosophy. Fran has had good rosters and this year isn’t one of them. The youth has potential but starting different players this season isn’t going to make or break team goals or individual development. There’s going to be a lot of garbage minutes in games when there isn’t any real competition.

In fairness, both CM and PM played with NBA draftees. Not there now. That makes everyone else look better than they are. PM is more exposed now w/o a Murray around. Sandfort is a fine player, he's not NBA and doesn't have an NBA draftee to play with and so looks worse.

I have always wondered why both of Fran's sons are very weak at certain fundamentals.

PM's brother's accident is also a very traumatic event and trauma does impact people.

Last edited:
Mulvey doesn't play, redshirting, just so you know. When he was not redshirting, he played very sparingly, if at all. Patrick has started almost his whole career. He's had cancer and depression, terrible illnesses that I think we all hope he overcomes. The issue is that he's on the court far too much. Almost everyone sees it except you and the head coach
Tough to win in the BIG. Tougher when you’re playing 4 on 5 for most of those games.

What’s sad is he has the length that could be a huge asset at both ends of the court but instead he camps out beyond the 3 point line and bounces around waiting for a pass. The thought of rebounding…………..never crosses his mind. Playing D………….. could be shot adjuster if he made the effort but again, it never crosses his mind. At 6’9” the tools were already there, not sure where the desire went.

Reactions: icwesthawk
In fairness, both CM and PM played with NBA draftees. Not there now. That makes everyone else look better than they are. PM is more exposed now w/o a Murray around. Sandfort is a fine player, he's not NBA and doesn't have an NBA draftee to play with and so looks worse.

I have always wondered why both of Fran's sons are very weak at certain fundamentals.

PM's brother's accident is also a very traumatic event and trauma does impact people.

They didn't just play WITH NBA draftees....they more than the NBA draftees in some cases.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
Sandfort has a hard time defending because he’s always playing well out of position thanks to fran insisting on playing a huge lineup. He’s a stretch 4, not a 3 and certainly not a 2! And if you think anything will change with the defense just because fran mentioned it, well sorry to spoil it for you, it’s not going to. Maybe for a game or 2 it looks better, but rest assured it will return to the dogshit we’ve gotten used to!
This. PS"s defense isn't effort issue, its a mismatch issue....

His build right now is that much different than white or uthoff (may have been a inch or 2 taller). White was a terrific rebounder and 100x more aggressive than pmac has ever been.
And Uthoff was much more skilled. He certainly had stretches where he wasn't overly aggressive, but he had game.

Reactions: ddeanHawk

I like when he blankly stares into the distance, almost as if he hasn't a thought in his noggin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT