ADVERTISEMENT

What ever happened to Bermuda?

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017
When I was growing up everyone would always talk about vacationing in Bermuda? I haven’t heard Jack shit about Bermuda in about 20 years? What’s up with that? Is Bermuda for the poors now or something?

I’ve always wanted to go just because of the song Kokomo. One set of our neighbors went last year and another couple are going this summer.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
The late Mojo Nixon solved the Burmuda Triangle mystery as he explained in his song ‘Elvis is Everywhere’.

Elvis needs boats.

When I was growing up everyone would always talk about vacationing in Bermuda? I haven’t heard Jack shit about Bermuda in about 20 years? What’s up with that? Is Bermuda for the poors now or something?

Probably the opposite. Bermuda is pretty expensive. I took a week long cruise to Bermuda and spent three days on the island and its prices were equivalent to expensive cities like Sydney, Vancouver, NYC, San Fran, Honolulu, Palm Beach etc…. The median income for a household in the US is $73k while in Bermuda it‘s $128k. Almost all of their food (other than seafood) has to be imported and unlike real Caribbean islands, there are no nearby islands filled with farms, it has to be shipped In from the US, Canada, Iceland, Spain, Ireland or the UK. So even the cheap places in Bermuda are more Expensive than those in NYC.

So really, for a Floridian it’s not that Amazing of a destination. It’s nice and the mix of British plus American plus a recent influx of cheap Haitian And Jamaican labor cuisine makes for a decent food scene. But honestly there are much better places in the Caribbean for far cheaper. I’d rather go back to the Bahamas over and over again than to Bermuda again.

Probably the opposite. Bermuda is pretty expensive. I took a week long cruise to Bermuda and spent three days on the island and its prices were equivalent to expensive cities like Sydney, Vancouver, NYC, San Fran, Honolulu, Palm Beach etc…. The median income for a household in the US is $73k while in Bermuda it‘s $128k. Almost all of their food (other than seafood) has to be imported and unlike real Caribbean islands, there are no nearby islands filled with farms, it has to be shipped In from the US, Canada, Iceland, Spain, Ireland or the UK. So even the cheap places in Bermuda are more Expensive than those in NYC.

So really, for a Floridian it’s not that Amazing of a destination. It’s nice and the mix of British plus American plus a recent influx of cheap Haitian And Jamaican labor cuisine makes for a decent food scene. But honestly there are much better places in the Caribbean for far cheaper. I’d rather go back to the Bahamas over and over again than to Bermuda again.
Sounds like even Puerto Rico is a good alternative. I really enjoyed Luqillo in PR for the time we were there. Under the radar destination for sure.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Bermuda dominates niche finance and insurance markets.
This. Spent a few random weeks there last year getting a work permit and it is a mecca for finance and insurance companies. Our company just moved our investment management license for a private Life Settlement fund we manage from BVI to BMA for the ease of regulations. Was a fair amount of work and background review to get the license; but will allow us to manage the asset class and open up new funds with less regulation and better tax advantages for US investors.

I was actually surprised how little it is now known as a tourist spot. The founder of our company has lived on the island for a few years now, so we saw a lot of the island and it really only has a few tourist resorts.

It’s a cuckoo place. A nutty kind of place.

Last edited:
I’d rather go back to the Bahamas over and over again than to Bermuda again.
Which islands? I’ve been to Eleuthera and that was a quite a trip. Not Bahamian but we also went to Jamaica and that was also quite the trip. Always looking for a new experience.

I was actually surprised how little it is now known as a tourist spot. The founder of our company has lived on the island for a few years now, so we saw a lot of the island and it really only has a few tourist resorts.

Keeps the poors away.

I thought this was gonna be about the Bermuda Triangle. I thought planes and ships were just getting lost in some other dimension

I thought this was gonna be about the Bermuda Triangle. I thought planes and ships were just getting lost in some other dimension

The most terrifying things growing up in the late 70’s/early 80’s were 1) nuclear holocaust 2) quicksand 3) giant great white sharks in the ocean and 4) the Bermuda Triangle.

Seems like the whole Bermuda Triangle thing got solved by Reagan/Bush 1/Clinton at some point.

Reactions: HROT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT