ADVERTISEMENT

What is wrong with me lately?

Things people do to themselves still don’t get me worked up, but lately I have been getting so sad when I read about people dying, or kids fighting cancer or getting shot or someone like the little girl getting buried at the beach. Or the woman at UGA.

Stuff’s just getting to me more these days.

What’s up with that?
Little girl getting buried at the beach? Wut?

This is the best thread to post Conor Oberst songs in in a while and apologies for taking advantage.

Things people do to themselves still don’t get me worked up, but lately I have been getting so sad when I read about people dying, or kids fighting cancer or getting shot or someone like the little girl getting buried at the beach. Or the woman at UGA.

What’s up with that?
Normal aging. I cried the other day when I met my former boss who is now on hospice due to cancer. He treated me like total shit but I couldn't stop crying and left to go outside for a little bit. It reminded me of seeing my mom die under similar circumstances and the visuals and emotions came back.

What’s up with that?
its called empathy. most of us have it, some not so much.
as we fire the candles we must make sure they burn through the night, for if they should die, there'd be no light..............

Song about songwriter's close cousin's suicide. I am trying to help OP out with some art therapy here.

What’s up with that?

Taking a break from being an angry mean spirited dickhead? Good.

This one just features Conor with auto tune and they got the year wrong on the United the Right rally reference but this is a recent addition to the political catalogue about how do we learn to live like good neighbors again:

Normal aging. I cried the other day when I met my former boss who is now on hospice due to cancer. He treated me like total shit but I couldn't stop crying and left to go outside for a little bit. It reminded me of seeing my mom die under similar circumstances and the visuals and emotions came back.

You're a better man than me.

I would smother my current boss with a pillow if I visited him in a hospice and could get away with it.

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
Some of the death stats indicate there might be a reason why it's bothering you. To early to tell. In addition we are closer to nuclear war than we've been in a while

What’s up with that?
It probably just means you care about people and are going through an extra sensitive period. Stay on HROT more and this will probably pass soon.

Trigger warning for disturbing subject matter. Story in song makes clear, without getting too graphic, that it is a story about the SA of a minor. One of the saddest songs I've ever heard.

What’s up with that?
Are you over 40? You just become more attuned to the realities of how these impact the lives of the people on the periphery of the victims, and it just lands harder. It just happens with age and...dare I say...wisdom...

This is just a theory, I haven't read books about this and am not qualified professionally to say for sure, but that's just the kind of sage advice you go to HROT for...

Are you over 40? You just become more attuned to the realities of how these impact the lives of the people on the periphery of the victims, and it just lands harder. It just happens with age and...dare I say...wisdom...

This is just a theory, I haven't read books about this and am not qualified professionally to say for sure.
Yea, I’m north of 50

What’s up with that?

My advice is to find jiu-jitsu training near where you live, if it's available within a drive you're willing to regularly navigate. The madness and violence of the world are overwhelming. But, I think you'd be surprised how suffering on your own, both physically and mentally, in a positive atmosphere, for the point of seeking to purify your own spirit can help you. In dealing with your own existence and the world around you. Check it you. You can roll as a complete amateur.

This one is a slowed down cover of a song by a band from same independent label when they both started.

I think you should worry when those things make you laugh or make you sexual aroused. otherwise I think you are OK.

What’s up with that?
If you're really sad I suggest listening to "Nutshell" by Alice in Chains. Great pick me up song

I think its simply a function of getting older yourself. Its probably a combination of things. Getting closer to your own mortality, seeing or hearing about others your age dying, being around long enough to have the cumulative effect of tragedies prior, and just simply getting more emotional in general. Maybe its from declining T too.

I have found the same in my own life. Getting misty eyed over things I would never ever have. The amazing quality of a good song and singer, more enjoyment with things like theater and classical music, even opera dare I say, when there is zero chance 10 years ago Id have cared or enjoyed even a little, any of these things. I think its just the realization of amazing talent when it exists, beauty in nature and knowing internally that your time on this earth is short and taking time to appreciate it all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT