ADVERTISEMENT

What is wrong with some Hawkeye fans?

Hey @hoffhawk — was your daughter the trainer last season, too? I think I wrote an article about her after the Cy-Hawk fisticuffs in Ames . . .

I would normally follow the rule here, but given the nature of the situation, that's not gonna happen. Given how many predators apparently frequent this board....
Do you know that to be a fact, about the many predators that frequent this site? Or are you simply fabricating the truth? See, I actually believed (past tense) something did happen to your daughter, right up until you came back and said we're a bunch of predators, despite the fact that you probably don't know more than a couple of us. So after calling many of us predators, which you can't substantiate, your story about your daughter then becomes very suspect, since you can't substantiate that either. I'd call it a day and just remind your daughter to use extreme caution when she's not in your house. I'm convinced the people on this board are "generally" pretty normal, but that is a nasty world out there, even without all those dreaded Hawks fans.

Reactions: Grip220
yeah cool story but 83% chance none of those things happened. 17% chance 1 did
Just for curiosity, why do you think none of them happened? The incident in question just occurred in Tulsa and the spitting occurred when she was walking out the tunnel at CHA. I have no reason to doubt this because I have seen it happen myself (aside from being in the seats, I did work at CHA when in college and watched Iowa fans spit on players and staff coming out that tunnel).

Hey @hoffhawk — was your daughter the trainer last season, too? I think I wrote an article about her after the Cy-Hawk fisticuffs in Ames . . .
For wrestling, not last season (2021/22). Last year she was with football and then swimming/diving. That incident was one of the reasons she was a little nervous going the CHA this year, though.

Reactions: slushhead
Hey man - I agree it is 1 out of many. But that one is just more than I like to see for my team. especially when it happens to my kid, and it happens more than once. That's all I'm saying.
My friend, I couldn't agree more. But you're acting like the crazies in the world who want to defund the police because one or two out of the approximately 700,000 law enforcement officials in this country were idiots. And then you come on this board and throw it at us. If you really think about it what you did was not cool at all.

Just for curiosity, why do you think none of them happened? The incident in question just occurred in Tulsa and the spitting occurred when she was walking out the tunnel at CHA. I have no reason to doubt this because I have seen it happen myself (aside from being in the seats, I did work at CHA when in college and watched Iowa fans spit on players and staff coming out that tunnel).

because people always come on here and spout crazy stories to make iowa look bad.

For wrestling, not last season (2021/22). Last year she was with football and then swimming/diving. That incident was one of the reasons she was a little nervous going the CHA this year, though.
I took my 12-year old goddaughter to CHA a couple years back. She, along with the other couple thousand minors survived just fine. You are cracking me up with your logic!!

This really ticks me off. I am a lifelong Hawkeye fan and alum. My kids all cheered for the Hawks while growing up. But, I have a daughter who wanted the best Athletic Training degree - and that was at Iowa State. She is currently the graduate student trainer for the ISU wrestling team, and is in Tulsa. She was really looking forward to this experience. She just texted me this afternoon to tell me this:

"Hawkeye fans are in [the hotel she is at] and a grown man just looked at me and saw my ISU stuff (you know, the stuff she is wearing because she is a member of the staff).....and says "You better watch where you are going on this floor or us Hawkeye fans are going to kick the shit out of you."

My daughter said this person looked to be around 50 years old. This piece of crap just told a lone, 105 pound, 22 year old female this -- just because she was wearing ISU gear. She was also spit on at the Iowa - Iowa State dual this year. Annnd, when she was doing her rotation with football last year, the same things happened at the Iowa-Iowa State game.

Now I know this is not the norm for Iowa fans. Especially for wrestling fans. But not only is this a bad look, but its criminal. Hopefully, the POS that did this is a member of of HR or at least checks the forums once and a while. Hopefully he reads this. Hopefully some people that know him read this. If this is you - you are NOT a Hawkeye. Your are NOT a true wrestling fan. And you are definitlely NOT a man by any definition that matters. Hopefully the two of us never meet, because I would really hate to spend jail time because of a lowlife such as yourself.
I’ll take “Things that never happened” for $200 Alex…

Hey man - I agree it is 1 out of many. But that one is just more than I like to see for my team. especially when it happens to my kid, and it happens more than once. That's all I'm saying.
You are correct @hoffhawk , it's disgusting for any member of ANY fanbase to pull crap like that.
It's a freaking game! People need to be aduts. Anyone that condones a person of any fan base acting like this is a complete moron.
I can't believe so many fans think this is okay behavior.

A Michigan friend of mine was spit on and had a beer dumped on him at a PSU football game. A PSU friend of mine got the shit kicked out of him at a tOSU fraternity strictly for being a PSU fan. Should I go to those respective boards and complain too? Im sorry this happened to your daughter, but I have no idea what you think this board can do about it.

Do you know that to be a fact, about the many predators that frequent this site? Or are you simply fabricating the truth? See, I actually believed (past tense) something did happen to your daughter, right up until you came back and said we're a bunch of predators, despite the fact that you probably don't know more than a couple of us. So after calling many of us predators, which you can't substantiate, your story about your daughter then becomes very suspect, since you can't substantiate that either. I'd call it a day and just remind your daughter to use extreme caution when she's not in your house. I'm convinced the people on this board are "generally" pretty normal, but that is a nasty world out there, even without all those dreaded Hawks fans.
Whatever Nashville. Your support was certainly not shining through in any of your previous posts - especially the one where you are laughing about the incident and then the Pics of your daughter comment. See, I actually don't believe any of your post because someone decent doesn't think this type of behavior is funny or acceptable. So your BS support that is taken away because I used the word predator (which btw pretty well describes much of the attitudes toward women that are being espoused herein), is certainly not geniune. did you explain to your wife that what you were laughing at was inappropriate comments made about a young female who was just terrified by a hallway full of men who should know better? I wonder how she would react to that - knowing you think it is funny a girl felt she might get assaulted or worse in a narrow hallway, where there are plenty of rooms to be drug into? A place she should be comfortable to walk in hassle-free? But given the responses here, and including yours, it is pretty clear that respect for women and daughters is about as far from your and the others' minds as can be.

I would normally follow the rule here, but given the nature of the situation, that's not gonna happen. Given how many predators apparently frequent this board....
I think you have us confused with Pedo U

Thanks for the reply . . . the coincidence between your last sentence and the plot of my article is a little bit humorous (my story had the trainer getting shuttled out of the arena by security for her own safety). Anyway, that was just silliness for fun . . . on a more serious note, good luck to your daughter — I hope her experience with the team has been a good one overall.

Reactions: hlstone
My friend, I couldn't agree more. But you're acting like the crazies in the world who want to defund the police because one or two out of the approximately 700,000 law enforcement officials in this country were idiots. And then you come on this board and throw it at us. If you really think about it what you did was not cool at all.
LOL - I didn't throw anything at you. I came on here to do two things. First, to have a discussion about what I think true fandom is and isn't, and two to hopefully have the POS that did this read it and maybe consider what they had done.

YOU all are taking it as "Hawk fans bad" - which not only I never said, but which I specifically note is largely a rare occurrence. Using your law enforcement example, I'm bitching about the one a**hole that did something wrong - not all the other LEOs who just do their jobs.

Thanks for the reply . . . the coincidence between your last sentence and the plot of my article is a little bit humorous (my story had the trainer getting shuttled out of the arena by security for her own safety). Anyway, that was just silliness for fun . . . on a more serious note, good luck to your daughter — I hope her experience with the team has been a good one overall.
She said this has been here favorite rotation so far. Her certified is an awesome dude and the Coaches are great. And to say it is her favorite is meaningful cuz she has had nothing but positive experiences with every team she has been assigned - lots of good people in the AT world and some great athletes.

You are correct @hoffhawk , it's disgusting for any member of ANY fanbase to pull crap like that.
It's a freaking game! People need to be aduts. Anyone that condones a person of any fan base acting like this is a complete moron.
I can't believe so many fans think this is okay behavior.
Thanks Sett. I have a lot of hate coming - statements like "I don't know what you expect us to do." along with the required "didn't happen" etc. But I guess i post here so that maybe some would actually call those bad fans out when they see that behavior. I don't like to see fans of my team make me and other fans look like jackasses. Apparently, many here are OK with that judging by their resonses.

• Haha
Reactions: Gobblin
She said this has been here favorite rotation so far. Her certified is an awesome dude and the Coaches are great. And to say it is her favorite is meaningful cuz she has had nothing but positive experiences with every team she has been assigned - lots of good people in the AT world and some great athletes.
Good to hear — a plus for all involved.

Reactions: hoffhawk
I just dont see a 50 year old fan with the means and wherewithal to travel to Tulsa for a wrestling tournament walking up to a 22 year old 100lb female at a hotel and saying "You better watch where you are going on this floor or us Hawkeye fans are going to kick the shit out of you."

Add getting spit on not once but twice in a year by Iowa fans.

Probability of that happening to the same person is Jesse Smullett type stuff.

I just dont see a 50 year old fan with the means and wherewithal to travel to Tulsa for a wrestling tournament walking up to a 22 year old 100lb female at a hotel and saying "You better watch where you are going on this floor or us Hawkeye fans are going to kick the shit out of you."

Add getting spit on not once but twice in a year by Iowa fans.

Probability of that happening to the same person is Jesse Smullett type stuff.
Just wow. Apparently you all don’t read so well. The spitting only happened once. And if you think a 50 year old can’t be like this then I feel sorry for you and any kids you might have cuz that is the largest pedo demographic.

This really ticks me off. I am a lifelong Hawkeye fan and alum. My kids all cheered for the Hawks while growing up. But, I have a daughter who wanted the best Athletic Training degree - and that was at Iowa State. She is currently the graduate student trainer for the ISU wrestling team, and is in Tulsa. She was really looking forward to this experience. She just texted me this afternoon to tell me this:

"Hawkeye fans are in [the hotel she is at] and a grown man just looked at me and saw my ISU stuff (you know, the stuff she is wearing because she is a member of the staff).....and says "You better watch where you are going on this floor or us Hawkeye fans are going to kick the shit out of you."

My daughter said this person looked to be around 50 years old. This piece of crap just told a lone, 105 pound, 22 year old female this -- just because she was wearing ISU gear. She was also spit on at the Iowa - Iowa State dual this year. Annnd, when she was doing her rotation with football last year, the same things happened at the Iowa-Iowa State game.

Now I know this is not the norm for Iowa fans. Especially for wrestling fans. But not only is this a bad look, but its criminal. Hopefully, the POS that did this is a member of of HR or at least checks the forums once in a while. Hopefully he reads this. Hopefully some people that know him read this. If this is you - you are NOT a Hawkeye. Your are NOT a true wrestling fan. And you are definitlely NOT a man by any definition that matters. Hopefully the two of us never meet, because I would really hate to spend jail time because of a lowlife such as yourself.
Sounds like BS.

A Michigan friend of mine was spit on and had a beer dumped on him at a PSU football game. A PSU friend of mine got the shit kicked out of him at a tOSU fraternity strictly for being a PSU fan. Should I go to those respective boards and complain too? Im sorry this happened to your daughter, but I have no idea what you think this board can do about it.
I don’t think the board would do anything about. No more than I can do anything about your mom. But I can have a discussion with other real fans of the sport and maybe embolden them to stand up against those that behave this way.

Also, most of you must not have sisters or daughters or wives that you care about or you would immediately understand how terrifying it is to hear this from them.

I understand if you all don’t care or for some reason think this isn’t true, but then just move along. Coming down on the side of bad behavior isn’t a good look.

I don’t think the board would do anything about. No more than I can do anything about your mom. But I can have a discussion with other real fans of the sport and maybe embolden them to stand up against those that behave this way.

Also, most of you must not have sisters or daughters or wives that you care about or you would immediately understand how terrifying it is to hear this from them.

I understand if you all don’t care or for some reason think this isn’t true, but then just move along. Coming down on the side of bad behavior isn’t a good look.
I think most people would stand up to this. I don’t know anyone that would do what they did and or wouldn’t put an immediate stop to it.

Some people suck, but you can’t use such a thin brush to paint such a broad argument that Iowa fans are bad people. If you’re meeting resistance I think it’s because people are taking it that way.

You will meet far more good people that are Hawk fans than you will bad. I’m confident in this.

Reactions: shudaddy
You can’t control the very small percentage of unhinged losers that every large fan base has.

The real problem is when their fan collective is douchey like ISU.

I think most people would stand up to this. I don’t know anyone that would do what they did and or wouldn’t put an immediate stop to it.

Some people suck, but you can’t use such a thin brush to paint such a broad argument that Iowa fans are bad people. If you’re meeting resistance I think it’s because people are taking it that way.

You will meet far more good people that are Hawk fans than you will bad. I’m confident in this.
I agree, but if people are taking that away from what I’ve written, then they are not reading what’s there. I have consistently qualified that this is a vast minority. But having said that, it still does not reflect well on the rest of us. The real issue is, I think, that these a**holes tend to seek out these interactions repeatedly. And then get support in the form of “well I don’t believe it”, or “most are good.” Problem is that these arguments do nothing to decrease the incidents, and I would argue actually can amplify them because of the tacit support or pass-off

Alcohol induced idiots do dumb things off the farm, especially wrestling fans. Hope security and or the cops were able to take care of the problem for her. Where is her ISU security/support system? You should be upset they aren’t protecting her and other staff like the coaches.

You’re wasting your time here. No doubt what you said happened did happen but right now many fans are dejected and depressed about the state of Hawkeye wrestling that their anger will be displaced at your post. Sorry and hope your daughter is ok.

Reactions: hoffhawk
Alcohol induced idiots do dumb things off the farm, especially wrestling fans. Hope security and or the cops were able to take care of the problem for her. Where is her ISU security/support system? You should be upset they aren’t protecting her and other staff like the coaches.
Well she was just walking down the hall in their hotel so I would think it was a reasonable expectation of safety. Especially at about 2 in the afternoon. However, hotel security is addressing the issue and some arrangements have been made otherwise. Unfortunately the chances of finding this individual and his friends is pretty low as she did not see them come out/go into a room

I agree, but if people are taking that away from what I’ve written, then they are not reading what’s there. I have consistently qualified that this is a vast minority. But having said that, it still does not reflect well on the rest of us. The real issue is, I think, that these a**holes tend to seek out these interactions repeatedly. And then get support in the form of “well I don’t believe it”, or “most are good.” Problem is that these arguments do nothing to decrease the incidents, and I would argue actually can amplify them because of the tacit support or pass-off
hoff....these are the types of replies you can count on on a sports board. There are always a few pissed-off fans with excess testosterone who smell blood in posts like yours. They are in the minority. Your lesson: ignore them, they won't change

Reactions: TNTwrestle
You can’t control the very small percentage of unhinged losers that every large fan base has.

The real problem is when their fan collective is douchey like ISU.
I’
hoff....these are the types of replies you can count on on a sports board. There are always a few pissed-off fans with excess testosterone who smell blood in posts like yours. They are in the minority. Your lesson: ignore them, they won't chang

Yeah. I know. And there have been some good responses. Those are the valuable ones. It’s just hard to see fans of my team and my sport be like that. Especially when wrestling is about discipline

If this really happened she should have taken it up with hotel management and got them, and perhaps LE, buzzing up his ass.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT