ADVERTISEMENT

What is wrong with some Hawkeye fans?

hoffhawk

Scout Team
Sep 15, 2013
This really ticks me off. I am a lifelong Hawkeye fan and alum. My kids all cheered for the Hawks while growing up. But, I have a daughter who wanted the best Athletic Training degree - and that was at Iowa State. She is currently the graduate student trainer for the ISU wrestling team, and is in Tulsa. She was really looking forward to this experience. She just texted me this afternoon to tell me this:

"Hawkeye fans are in [the hotel she is at] and a grown man just looked at me and saw my ISU stuff (you know, the stuff she is wearing because she is a member of the staff).....and says "You better watch where you are going on this floor or us Hawkeye fans are going to kick the shit out of you."

My daughter said this person looked to be around 50 years old. This piece of crap just told a lone, 105 pound, 22 year old female this -- just because she was wearing ISU gear. She was also spit on at the Iowa - Iowa State dual this year. Annnd, when she was doing her rotation with football last year, the same things happened at the Iowa-Iowa State game.

Now I know this is not the norm for Iowa fans. Especially for wrestling fans. But not only is this a bad look, but its criminal. Hopefully, the POS that did this is a member of of HR or at least checks the forums once and a while. Hopefully he reads this. Hopefully some people that know him read this. If this is you - you are NOT a Hawkeye. Your are NOT a true wrestling fan. And you are definitlely NOT a man by any definition that matters. Hopefully the two of us never meet, because I would really hate to spend jail time because of a lowlife such as yourself.

Did she get treated worse than the Iowa band in Ames a couple years ago?

Oh...and the mandatory pic.

If what you're describing really did happen, someone will have caught it on their phone.

Otherwise, I don't believe you.

I've learned that there there are two sides to most stories. Your words are not really better than his alleged ones.

Reactions: TNTwrestle
My 15-year-old brother was randomly suckered punched by an ISU student walking out of Jack Trice in 2011. I think your daughter will be okay lol.
Geez. So because it happened to someone else it is ok? I am not under any illusion that this doesn't happen the other direction. Her and I have had many conversations about that. But for anyone to be OK with this kind of behavior is really not OK. And of course we now all know how you feel women should be treated....

Geez. So because it happened to someone else it is ok? I am not under any illusion that this doesn't happen the other direction. Her and I have had many conversations about that. But for anyone to be OK with this kind of behavior is really not OK. And of course we now all know how you feel women should be treated....
No, I just think it's strange the first thing you did was take to the message board about something dumb a drunk dude said to your daughter. Again, I think she will be okay.

Reactions: sdvike and acuhawk
No, I just think it's strange the first thing you did was take to the message board about something dumb a drunk dude said to your daughter. Again, I think she will be okay.
Well, it is not the first thing I did you maroon. And that is also not what you said or even intimated. And yeah, she probably will be OK. But that still does not excuse the behavior, and this board is a place to address poor fan behavior.

Reactions: hlstone and WeARE
Well, it is not the first thing I did you maroon. And that is also not what you said or even intimated. And yeah, she probably will be OK. But that still does not excuse the behavior, and this board is a place to address poor fan behavior.
Go cry to someone else, man. We don't care.

Reactions: acuhawk
Miscommunication happens.
Hey LIV - it is possible. I have had that convo with her a few times. A poorly delivered attempt at a joke and everything. But I gotta look at if from her perspective. She is alone, there is a hallway full of people that seem to be with this guy and he goes out of his way to hassle her. Even if it was just "play" it was still not a good look nor did it appear that way to her. She isn't a naive doe and we have certainly not shielded her from the real world so I am inclined to believe she isn't exaggerating (and given that she grew up a Hawk fan, she has no predispostion to think this way).

So in the last year a 22 year old female was :

told “we’re gonna beat you up” by a 50 year old man because of isu gear.

Spit on

Spit on again 3 months later

Bad luck.

Or she’s lying.

Or you’re lying.

Reactions: AaronJDixon
Eff the clowns and all the bs they pull on the Hawks every year.
I love how the band sticks together! I love being a Hawkeye!! And I mean that only in the best manner! It's so easy to jump on here and say the sky is falling because one out of 10,00 Hawks fan allegedly did "xxx".

Reactions: acuhawk
I love how the band sticks together! I love being a Hawkeye!! And I mean that only in the best manner! It's so easy to jump on here and say the sky is falling because one out of 10,00 Hawks fan allegedly did "xxx".
Hey man - I agree it is 1 out of many. But that one is just more than I like to see for my team. especially when it happens to my kid, and it happens more than once. That's all I'm saying.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
All teams have shitty fans and nice fans. Some people just suck overall. There is a life lesson for you 👍
don't really need the lesson chalk. in fact, i've clearly noted that this is the exception and not the rule, hence the title of the thread "what's wrong with SOME fans," but like GlenHawk, some people do just suck like you say.

Yeah, that’s just not okay. Even as a joke that’s inappropriate. I recognize that all fan bases have some turds, but I’m always still embarrassed when I hear about Iowa fans acting like this. Good natured razzing amongst rival fan bases is fine, but this is way over that line.

Yeah, that’s just not okay. Even as a joke that’s inappropriate. I recognize that all fan bases have some turds, but I’m always still embarrassed when I hear about Iowa fans acting like this. Good natured razzing amongst rival fan bases is fine, but this is way over that line.
Thanks Mille - this is exactly what I'm saying. Appreciate it.

So in the last year a 22 year old female was :

told “we’re gonna beat you up” by a 50 year old man because of isu gear.

Spit on

Spit on again 3 months later

Bad luck.

Or she’s lying.

Or you’re lying.
Or there is just something about her that brings these sort of actions upon her.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT